2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

Right as often as she is.ย :gaycat2:

ย 

• Replies 22k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Espresso

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

Itโ€™s funny how CNN keeps shifting more and more to the right, thinking that thatโ€™s going to get them more right-wing viewers. But the only people who are loving it are liberals. :rip:ย My conservative extended family still insists CNN is Democrat propaganda and Fox will always be the only cable news that โ€œat least brings up the issues that matterโ€.

I just found out Feinstein declined in December to be the new President Pro Tempore.ย :thing:

2 hours ago, Communion said:

ย 

I was coming in to post this tweet :ahh:As soon as I saw your caption before it loaded, I knew it would be this.ย But Brie is right as usual :clap3:What those few Republicans are doing is essentially forcing the vote, which is what AOC and the rest should have done for something that would have been much more impactful and actually necessary than whatever the demands from the Republicans are. Now if Boebert and Gaetz essentially get their demands, I swear to goodness...

I'm shook that Lauren Boebert went on msnbc :rip:ย 

8 hours ago, Communion said:

ย 

It starts at the ballot box. If you can't get progressives in those seats, then I don't know what to tell ya. The minority isn't the majority.ย 

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

It starts at the ballot box.

You mean in elections where the party's billionaire-funded PACs funnel millions to... stop progressives?

ย 

Oh.. If only progressives *in* Congress could do something about that... but would such even be possible...

ย 

Oh wait.

ย 

:ahh:

ย 

Y'all always go ghost when confronted over posting misinformation but then suddenly have a sassy quip when trying to suggest progressive policies aren't popular. Oh to be in affluent bubbles.ย :deadbanana4:

ย 

This is not about "tHe MiNorITy is nOt tHe maJOriTy!!!". Progressive policies enjoy the widest support across the country by actual, real peopleย - the corporate duopoly of Dems and GOP simply means that, for 95%+ of legislation, public opinion simply doesn't matter to most policymakers.ย :michael:

ย 

There's no argument any centrist apologists for corporate Dems can make. It's objective fact that corporate Democrats are tied to monied interests, that elected progressives' refusal to stop them will ensure the country NEVER moves to the left despite most Americans wanting it to, AND this framework will only enable power-brokers like MAGA extremists to both move their own party and America further to the right.

ย 

Privileged moderates can't show any evidence of Dems' successes, so they have to revel in claims that Republicans are in disarray, but it looks like the MAGA movement is just racking up wins after wins, consolidating power:

ย 

You can't have a country where the Democrat president vows to veto universal healthcare and where the GOP doesn't threaten to blow up gay bars and children's hospitals. This is the reality that is sewn when the Overton window is allowed to shift so far to the right. You can't fight the right without moving left.ย :gaycat2:

It's the same old excuse. ย Progressives can't get in because of $$$.ย :keir:

ย 

4 minutes ago, Tusk said:

It's the same old excuse. ย Progressives can't get in because of $$$.

Moderates: "Money's not a problem!!! If people like a candidate, they'll give them money!"

ย 

Oh, they sure do:

ย 

83158446_2713753602178170_41694659120694

Guess which candidate still raised the most in the 2020 Democratic primary due to billionaire-funded PACs versus the person who had the actual most real donors of normal people.ย 

ย 

It's "THAT'S NO EXCUSE!!" until then it's time to ban political PAC money and then it's "PROGRESSIVES ARE TRYING TO SABOTAGE THE DEMOCRATS!!! WE CAN'T JUST STOP TAKING PAC MONEY!!!".ย :deadbanana4:

Edited by Communion

7 hours ago, Mean Trees said:

I was coming in to post this tweet :ahh:As soon as I saw your caption before it loaded, I knew it would be this.ย But Brie is right as usual :clap3:What those few Republicans are doing is essentially forcing the vote, which is what AOC and the rest should have done for something that would have been much more impactful and actually necessary than whatever the demands from the Republicans are. Now if Boebert and Gaetz essentially get their demands, I swear to goodness...

They essentially did get their demands, they hate Kevin and will never vote for himย :rip:

• ATRL Moderator
9 hours ago, Mean Trees said:

It's fun to watch Kevin McCarthy squirm. But I wish the Dems didย somethingย to challenge Hakeem Jeffries. He's awful and we have supposed progressives like Jamaal Bowman call it "gangsta" to just have a House Minority Leader from NY. :rip:ย There should have been a challenge and effort to get actual fresh blood rather than a Nancy Pelosi clone.

5 hours ago, Wonderland said:

I'm shook that Lauren Boebert went on msnbc :rip:ย 

She did Hannity on Fox last night too and he went off on her. It was just a bunch of yelling over each other ย :rip:ย  Pure chaosย 

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

It's fun to watch Kevin McCarthy squirm. But I wish the Dems didย somethingย to challenge Hakeem Jeffries. He's awful and we have supposed progressives like Jamaal Bowman call it "gangsta" to just have a House Minority Leader from NY. :rip:ย There should have been a challenge and effort to get actual fresh blood rather than a Nancy Pelosi clone.

I agree, Hakeem Jeffries is a weak, uninspiring leader, and heโ€™s a powerful player in NY politics, where NY politics strategy seems to be to rage war against progressives, in a D+25 stateโ€ฆ.makes no sense.ย 
ย 

I think this strategy based on this past election is bad optics overall though for Republicans. The message from the electorate wasnโ€™t โ€œwe need to shift FURTHER to the rightโ€! Democratic turnout was mediocre, and Republicans lost seats nationwide in state legislatures, lost senate seats in swing races, and flipped 1 governor mansion, and barely won congressional seats nationwideโ€ฆ.

Not John James with another opportunity :rip:ย 

ย 

Gretchen better run for it sheโ€™s the only hope the Dems keep it now that Debbie is out.

28 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

ย 

Gretchen better run for it sheโ€™s the only hope the Dems keep it now that Debbie is out.

Against John James any dem wins :rip:ย 

43 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

ย 

Republicans have won 2 senate elections in total in MI in the last 50 yearsโ€ฆโ€ฆ..

The 3 Dem options above all being corrupt hacks with no moralsย :chick3:

43 minutes ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

Against John James any dem wins :rip:ย 

He's going to win at some point :rip:ย 

27 minutes ago, Communion said:

The 3 Dem options above all being corrupt hacks with no moralsย :chick3:

At least you'll have Peteย ย :-*ย 

6 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

He's going to win at some point :rip:ย 

No chance. He just barely won his house seat and lost the senate races twice. He will look power hungry and desperate.

ย 

Gretchen wonโ€™t run either because that would signal that sheโ€™s running for President in 2028 when she just won re election and talked about how she had no desire to be in DC.

Edited by 19SLAYty9

My guess is Pete runs and wins Stabenow's seat, and then Whitmer runs for the Gary Peters seat in 2026 when her term is up IF he retires too.

ย 

Unless there's someone as effective as Fetterman at painting Pete as a carpetbagger. But Democrats love the SouthWest Airlines bestie, so :michael:

11th round of voting under way. Gaetz nominated Trump.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.