Kelly Clarkson

Phoenixstar

5 minutes ago, KevinKDC said:

That’s actually an interesting strategy; releasing the “filled”/ least commercial tracks first to get more streams in advance, which might result in a better debut…

At the same time; releasing the weakest tracks first might make people disinterested in the album. This can easily backfire.

Yup, agreed, it could discourage casual listeners. I still hold out high hope for lighthouse given what she said about when she wrote it 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BravoTangoWhiskey

• RealityBites

• jpsketch

• Heartbeat Song

4 hours ago, kelli101 said:

Agreed 

I feel people think we are being negative just because… but it’s seriously NOT the sound I was expecting for such a personal record. I was expecting it to be a mature take, aka an Adele record. This stuff just sounds so immature. People keep bringing up that’s she’s 41 when defending her whole promo strategy or lack there of, we’ll ima need her to then match that sound and production with that then :michael:

this is kind of how I feel. i wanted a cohesive body of work, and it's shaping up to be another PXP in terms of seeming like random songs stitched together.

• Like 1

Releasing filler/weak tracks is a terrible strategy. Even as a fan, I’m disinterested, so there’s no hope for locals. 

I also don’t understand her comment about “how can you visually create a video that reflects songs that are so personal”…. By being creative child :rip:

I also hate that she decided to make the songs general and not specific. Did she not listen to the advise of “The chicks”?! Did she not look at her own catalog? Her best songs and biggest hits are songs where she is specific.

“My husbands girlfriends husband just called me up” may not be relatable specifically to many people’s lives, but you can fully grasp the emotion of the song just by that one line, which made it a clear standout on that album.

The album is being released in two weeks and this is where we stand:

- 5 tracks in and we still don’t have any unfiltered emotion that she was able to give on tracks like maybe, sober, boy etc.

- One live performance

- One song send to hac radio

- Two radio interviews?

- Maybe 5 random podcasts?

- Live social media sessions 

- A writer strike

- Reports of a toxic workplace

- A limited 10 show 

- A live show that will most likely be released on a digital streaming platform that no one uses

- Random promo to hardcare fans…. Like what was the use of this; these fans would’ve bought the album either way :rip:

idk man. I’ve experienced 7 role outs of KC albums and this one is easily the worst so far.

The only thing I would say is that the album and single covers have been gorgeous.

RFC is fun, y'all need to lighten up. Sounds like someone took her old demos and put it in a country blender. 

If anyone is really looking at Kelly for a cohesive album, you don't know Kelly that well lol - girl is way too ADHD and obsessed with genre-bending. 

The only weird part about RFC is the title because it makes no sense with the song. 

• Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator
27 minutes ago, KevinKDC said:

I also don’t understand her comment about “how can you visually create a video that reflects songs that are so personal”…. By being creative child :rip:

Maybe she could revisit her own music videos and watch Because of You:toofunny2:

Someone on Twitter who saw the live show said the album for the most part actually is cohesive and that I Hate Love & Red Flags are an indicator for the album’s sound. Does not get me excited at all. 

Interesting writing credits coming out as pointed out by Scott7 on pulse 

Spoiler

Maureen McDonald from LSS and Wrecking Ball

• ATRL Moderator
27 minutes ago, Cupid said:

If anyone is really looking at Kelly for a cohesive album, you don't know Kelly that well lol - girl is way too ADHD and obsessed with genre-bending. 

Thankful, Breakaway, My December, Stronger, Wrapped In Red, Meaning of Life, and When Christmas Comes Around are all cohesive. Each of them has a very clear sound and flair. AIEW and PBP are the odd balls that have more eclectic styles. PBP isn’t even that eclectic tbh. All the songs are fairly poppy in general which is a common throughline and there’s a lot of reliance on synth sounds on that album. 

4 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Thankful, Breakaway, My December, Stronger, Wrapped In Red, Meaning of Life, and When Christmas Comes Around are all cohesive. Each of them has a very clear sound and flair. AIEW and PBP are the odd balls that have more eclectic styles. PBP isn’t even that eclectic tbh. All the songs are fairly poppy in general which is a common throughline and there’s a lot of reliance on synth sounds on that album. 

I mean, I think we have different ideas of cohesive - and I don't mean it in a bad way. Kelly's genre-bending on albums is what I enjoy, you can go from Don't You Wanna Stay to Alone, back to back tracks sounding like different albums from different eras in time, it's so fun. 

What Kelly does well is tying all her songs together, I wouldn't call it cohesive but it's like a common thread between songs and that's her voice and emotion. It's why she's one of the best performers and live singers - she can do everything, and do it well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KCDC said:

Ugh, I hate that I'm so disappointed with it so far, and the fact that she postponed the album b/c she said she wasn't ready yet lead me to believe that the songs were going to be a lot more personal.  I think the angle she's going for with this album (the arc of a relationship) is just a way to cover up the fact that the song choices are so all over the place.  Although, maybe she's holding off on the standouts until the album is released.  I really hope that's the case lol

That's where I'm at. Like she held this album back for like a year or two because it was so personal to her only for the lyrics so far to be so general. Other than maybe Mine (or RCC, I haven't heard it yet) these songs could've been about any of her past relationships.

All I'm hearing is that FKOH has the most hit potential based on streaming numbers ( especially with the Guetta remix). So let's make that second single this summer and get our next Stronger hit. 

I'm fine with the approach so far, each song release seems to get a at least a little bit of buzz online every week. And it seems like given the songs are so different more and more people have at least one song they really like. Maybe this strategy is slowly getting her on people's radar leading up to the release. 

imagine if we only had mine right now. There would be 0 buzz about her album. At least there is a low hum every week. For example, I get several message from people (non Kelly stans) about her new song that's out. And honestly, this non fans always like the song and relate. 

Personally, I'm excited for the album release and bought tickets to the signing in NYC. 

34 minutes ago, Cupid said:

I mean, I think we have different ideas of cohesive - and I don't mean it in a bad way. Kelly's genre-bending on albums is what I enjoy, you can go from Don't You Wanna Stay to Alone, back to back tracks sounding like different albums from different eras in time, it's so fun. 

What Kelly does well is tying all her songs together, I wouldn't call it cohesive but it's like a common thread between songs and that's her voice and emotion. It's why she's one of the best performers and live singers - she can do everything, and do it well. 

I feel like this is partly why there is so much negativity/divisiveness, everyone had such different expectations of what this album was going to be based on different parts of Kelly's career and catalog. I was hoping for something very different myself, but I'm still getting the key things I listen to Kelly for. Her vocals are stronger than ever, she's experimenting with different sounds (and pulling them off seamlessly imo). And I don't feel like she pulled back that much on the lyrics despite what she said. She isn't breaking down specific details, but I think I'm getting a better understanding about what happened between Kelly and Brandon (although maybe my interpretations are totally wrong lol).

17 hours ago, jpsketch said:

FKOH aging like fine wine 👌🏽

I cannot wait for y’all to hear Skip This Part and Lighthouse. 

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

I hate to be so negative, but red flag collector is another let down for me. She surprisingly doesn’t list out any red flags (so the song title doesn’t feel integrated into the song) and the chorus is so forgettable. :doc: 

In these two, I trust. 

I'm starting to think Kelly sold out. :eli: 

44 minutes ago, stoopidjenna said:

I feel like this is partly why there is so much negativity/divisiveness, everyone had such different expectations of what this album was going to be based on different parts of Kelly's career and catalog. I was hoping for something very different myself, but I'm still getting the key things I listen to Kelly for. Her vocals are stronger than ever, she's experimenting with different sounds (and pulling them off seamlessly imo). And I don't feel like she pulled back that much on the lyrics despite what she said. She isn't breaking down specific details, but I think I'm getting a better understanding about what happened between Kelly and Brandon (although maybe my interpretations are totally wrong lol).

I'm enjoying these songs for what they are (I'm a starving fan tbh) but what @Bloo has been saying is valid.

I love that Kelly has no filter on what she says but the woman literally overhypes her material sometimes and it almost never pays off. Honestly, I think in recent years, she's been so much more comfortable singing material that isn't hers as a result and it's obvious. 

RFC is cute, slightly disappointed but I do like it. just can't relate to it at all lol

Edited by butterflymimi

Just listened again to RCC.

The concept of the song is actually pretty good, but the execution of the production is just bad. 

It sounds like the accidentally released the demo instead of the final version :rip:

I think we might love the live version.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xDiamondx said:

I'm enjoying these songs for what they are (I'm a starving fan tbh) but what @Bloo has been saying is valid.

I love that Kelly has no filter on what she says but the woman literally overhypes her material sometimes and it almost never pays off. Honestly, I think in recent years, she's been so much more comfortable singing material that isn't hers as a result and it's obvious. 

I mean, Kelly’s writing has always been  pretty hit or miss. The lyrical content on the tracks so far though have been stronger than PBP and MoL imo (Mine and IHL are some of her best). The weakest has been Me which is one of the few she only contributed part of the lyrics to.

2 minutes ago, stoopidjenna said:

I mean, Kelly’s writing has always been  pretty hit or miss. The lyrical content on the tracks so far though have been stronger than PBP and MoL imo (Mine and IHL are some of her best). The weakest has been Me which is one of the few she only contributed part of the lyrics to.

True. Though I wouldn't place PxP as a gold standard and because she didn't contribute very much to MoL overall, it's a little difficult to take her opinions as fact.  

For me, I despise IHL sonically but love it lyrically. However I love 'me' in the opposite case mostly because it's one of her few rare gospel showcases we have in her catalog.

I enjoy all the songs so far, unlike pbp, when they released Invincible-Run Run Run-Take You High as promo singles. A nightmare for me I almost unstan

My only complaint is that she got too comfortable with Jesse and Jason. She needs to work with someone new.

15 minutes ago, rmmas said:

I enjoy all the songs so far, unlike pbp, when they released Invincible-Run Run Run-Take You High as promo singles. A nightmare for me I almost unstan

My only complaint is that she got too comfortable with Jesse and Jason. She needs to work with someone new.

Max Martin please 

• Like 1

Wow Is this the first time her album gets this much hate even before its release? lol.

Honestly I am really excited for this album, when she announced this divorce album and it was gonna be different from MD I was so worried we were getting a miserable sob-fest. But she’s got this sassy/mature/emotional vibe going on. And all these songs really highlight her vocal.

Anyway I am ready to enjoy the album and so far all the pre-tracks have been enjoyable.

• Like 1

I think RFC is a fun bop. Bummer that so many people here are disappointed, I'm just happy after 6 years we're getting more new non-Christmas material. For what it's worth I do wish she would've worked with more than just Jesse Shatkin on this but I still think the songs are good so far. And I really really hope the Belasco show is released as an album on streaming platforms since some of these songs sound even better live.

Also y'all seriously, Skip This Part, Down to You, Rock Hudson... most of the best songs on this album are still on their way.

This song is fantastic!!! RFC is my favorite so far.

I LOVE the rock-ish sound, but at the same time sounds different for her. The trumpets were a surprise, but loved it.

Yeah, I’m going to love the album.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.