Survivor: ATRL Edition (Season 12) | WINNER REVEALED!

rl231

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Element

• rl231

• Rotunda

• Anvarie

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator

ud544Iv.png?width=1040&height=801

Welcome castaways to Round 13 of ATRL Survivor (Season 12)!

@Anvarie@Acetone @beatinglikeadrum @fais_2311

@khalyan @Opulent @Red Light @Rotunda

Individual immunity is back up for grabs... just one this time!

The challenge for Round 13 is...

Time Warp Trinity

This round, we are trying out another new challenge. Thank you @boys for the idea and @Gateau for your inputs!

Music is a cyclical experience, with various genres and elements seeing resurgence decades later. We’ve recently seen 70s-inspired songs in the cultural zeitgeist, but for this challenge, we’d like to go even further back in time. You will be building a “trinity” of three songs. (Shoutout to the Holy Trinity game!) All three songs you send must be released in the last ten years (2012-2022). Each song will represent the musical trends of each of the following 3 decades: 1940s, 1950s, 1960s.

IMPORTANT: They can NOT be covers of songs from the decades or heavily borrow from them. They should be original songs from 2012 through 2022.

What To Do:

You will be responsible for researching the genres, influences, and styles of these decades. Then, you will find a song with those styles and influences that was released in the last ten years. You will also be required to send a brief explanation of why you chose the song. Focus on explaining how it represents the decade in question. Feel free to put links to the sources you’ve found - that might help support your entry.

A Google form for submissions will be provided a bit later by rl231. Please note that we will reject your entry if you use more than one song that another person has used. That means one song can be used by another person, but if you use two or three from another entry, it will be declined.

Scoring:

The judges will be focused on sonics this time. The primary evaluation is how well the song represents the decade’s main genres and musical styles. Your explanation will be essential to justifying your choice. Your entry will be submitted and scored as follows:

Your Name - 1 point

1940s - Streaming link + explanation - 3 points

1950s - Streaming link + explanation - 3 points

1960s - Streaming link + explanation - 3 points

Your submissions are due in 47 hours... Saturday, March 5 @ 8 PM EST.

Good luck and enjoy your journey through history!

Mess! me missing Survivor :biblionny:

The most probably I wouldn't even pass the application this time, I fear. :gaycat6:

Even If I passed it my ass would have gotten kicked during the first 3 rounds considering the disaster I made last Season... :clownny:

Edited by ABYSIL

• ATRL Moderator
10 hours ago, ABYSIL said:

Mess! me missing Survivor :biblionny:

The most probably I wouldn't even pass the application this time, I fear. :gaycat6:

Even If I passed it my ass would have gotten kicked during the first 3 rounds considering the disaster I made last Season... :clownny:

Maybe you would have kept your merge streak for a 2nd season!!!

22 minutes ago, Element said:

Maybe you would have kept your merge streak for a 2nd season!!!

I mean yeah. If I get carried as death weight so they have someone easy to dispose when needed. :giraffe:

Also what Happened the amount of New Faces?! :hawkeye:

Was there some A+ promotion level or something? :chick2:

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, ABYSIL said:

I mean yeah. If I get carried as death weight so they have someone easy to dispose when needed. :giraffe:

Also what Happened the amount of New Faces?! :hawkeye:

Was there some A+ promotion level or something? :chick2:

we had a banner thanks to supa!! had about 40 apps and cut it down to 24. almost all first timers and new gamers :duca:

• ATRL Moderator

We had a HR from another member saying they were currently restricted but was wondering if they could participate in the game still and I was curious so I checked it out and that's how I ended up playing this season :rip: 

4 hours ago, khalyan said:

We had a HR from another member saying they were currently restricted but was wondering if they could participate in the game still and I was curious so I checked it out and that's how I ended up playing this season :rip: 

:rip:

• ATRL Moderator
5 hours ago, khalyan said:

Is it losing my ground ?

@Anvarie @Ampersand13 @beatinglikeadrum @fais_2311

@khalyan @Opulent @Red Light @Rotunda

Welcome castaways to your 12th results show! We will now reveal the judges’ scores and comments for each “time warp trinity.

After I reveal the scores, I will post the final results which will include how you ranked against all castaways, and finally the overall rankings after this round. 

With that said, here are the entries!

Contestants Decade Song
Acetone
40s Alabama Shakes - Guess Who
50s Post Malone - Allergic
60s Adele - All Night Parking (interlude) (with Erroll Garner)
Anvarie
40s Meghan Trainor - Dear Future Husband
50s Pharrell - Happy
60s Jens Hoffmann - Sweet Honey Bee
beatinglikeadrum
40s Charlie Thompson - The Automobile Song
50s JD McPherson - Crying's Just A Thing That You Do
60s Temples - Shelter Song
fais_2311
40s Michael Buble - It’s A Beautiful Day (Swing Mix version)
50s Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B
60s Temples - Shelter Song
khalyan
40s Barbara Pravi - Voila
50s JD McPherson - Let the Good Times Roll
60s Orville Peck - Dead of Night
Opulent
40s Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - She's Always Right (I'm Never Wrong)
50s Pepita Slappers - Rocket to the Moon
60s Jacco Gardner - Where Will You Go
Red Light
40s TVXQ - Something
50s Swingrowers - Jukebox
60s MAMAMOO - Mr. Ambiguous
Rotunda
40s Macy Gray and the California Jet Club - Undone
50s Ariana Grande - Tattooed Heart
60s Paloma Faith - Only Love Can Hurt Like This

Results are next...

@Acetone

• Name - 1/1
  • 1940s - Alabama Shakes - Guess Who
    • Auburn - 1/3 - It’s not totally screaming 40s to me
    • Boys - 0.5/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 0/3 - It’s giving me more of a 1960s soul-meets-1970s Laurel Canyon vibe.
    • AVERAGE - 0.5
  • 1950s - Post Malone - Allergic
    • Auburn - 2.5/3 - A modern spin on the classic sound of the 50s
    • Boys - 2/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 2/3 - Most of it doesn’t fit, but I can definitely imagine the chorus being crooned at the high school dance in Grease.
    • AVERAGE - 2.167
  • 1960s - Adele - All Night Parking (interlude) (with Erroll Garner)
    • Auburn - 0/3 - “They can NOT be covers of songs from the decades or heavily borrow from them.”
    • Boys - 2.9/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - This song made me miss Amy Winehouse from the moment I heard it.
    • AVERAGE - 1.967
  • Total - 5.633/10

@Anvarie

• Name - 1/1
    • 1940s - Meghan Trainor - Dear Future Husband
    • Auburn - 2/3 -  I just associate doo *** more with the 50s and 60s
    • Boys - 3/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Wow, this is the second round this season where this stupid song has been a perfect fit.
    • AVERAGE - 2.667
  • 1950s - Pharrell - Happy
    • Auburn - 2/3 - Again off by a decade in peak popularity to me
    • Boys - 1.3/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 1.5/3 - The song certainly sounds like it emerged straight from a time machine, but your point of comparison is probably off by about a decade.
    • AVERAGE - 1.6
  • 1960s - Jens Hoffmann - Sweet Honey Bee
    • Auburn - 2.5/3 - Really good choice
    • Boys - 2.8/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Bob Dylan, is that you?
    • AVERAGE - 2.767
  • Total - 8.033/10

@beatinglikeadrum

• Name - 1/1
  • 1940s - Charlie Thompson - The Automobile Song 
    • Auburn - 3/3 - Can’t believe that is actually from last decade :skull:
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Are you sure this isn’t some long lost rockabilly track that was just unearthed in the past decade?
    • AVERAGE - 2.933
  • 1950s - JD McPherson - Crying's Just A Thing That You Do
    • Auburn - 2.5/3 - Another solid choice
    • Boys - 2.5/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 2.7/3 - The rock piano really took it over the edge for me. A sligh demerit for the electric guitar breakdown, which felt like a more modern incursion.
    • AVERAGE - 2.567
  • 1960s - Temples - Shelter Song
    • Auburn - 3/3 - Spot on
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Yep yep! Let’s go dancing in Swinging London.
    • AVERAGE - 3
  • Total - 9.5/10

@fais_2311

• Name - 1/1
    • 1940s - Michael Buble - It’s A Beautiful Day (Swing Mix version)
    • Auburn - 3/3 - Michael definitely embodied the 40s sound here
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Dean Martin would have been singing this at Atlantic City nightclubs.
    • AVERAGE - 2.967
  • 1950s - Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B
    • Auburn - 2/3 - It works okay but I think some other songs are giving stronger vibes
    • Boys - 1.6/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 1.5/3 - I’m struggling with this one. I can hear where you’re coming from, but I’m getting the Soggy Bottom Boys from O Brother, Where Art Thou?, which would suggest a musical tradition a few decades older.
    • AVERAGE - 1.7
  • 1960s - Temples - Shelter Song
    • Auburn - 3/3 - See above
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - It could be a B-side for “Tomorrow Never Knows.”
    • AVERAGE - 3
  • Total - 8.667/10

BEATINGLIKEADRUM IN THE LEAD FOR IMMUNITY!

@khalyan

• Name - 1/1
  • 1940s - Barbara Pravi - Voila
    • Auburn - 3/3 - Fresh take on this, not what you’d expect but certainly fitting.
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - I love that you took this in a completely different direction. The song is gorgeous.
    • AVERAGE - 2.933
  • 1950s - JD McPherson - Let the Good Times Roll
    • Auburn - 3/3 - No complaints here
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - That piano is reminiscent of Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Great Balls of Fire.”
    • AVERAGE - 3
  • 1960s - Orville Peck - "Dead of Night" 
    • Auburn - 2.5/3 - Great job overall this round, there’s just something that feels slightly too current about this.
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - The two sources of inspiration that you cited are spot-on. This is very much in the tradition of something like “Crying.”
    • AVERAGE - 2.833
  • Total - 9.767/10 

@Opulent

• Name - 1/1
  • 1940s - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - She's Always Right (I'm Never Wrong)
    • Auburn - 3/3 - Perfect
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is still around?
    • AVERAGE - 3
  • 1950s - Pepita Slappers - Rocket to the Moon
    • Auburn - 3/3 - Naur it’s literally from the 50s
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - It feels so 1950s that I want to call it a ditty.
    • AVERAGE - 2.967
  • 1960s - Jacco Gardner - Where Will You Go
    • Auburn - 3/3 - You paid great attention to the little details this round, great job.
    • Gateau - Score/3 - Comment
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Drop some acid and spin this one while you take your rocket to the moon.
    • AVERAGE - 3
  • Total - 9.967/10

OPULENT NOW IN THE LEAD FOR IMMUNITY!

@Red Light

• Name - 1/1
  • 1940s - TVXQ - Something
    • Auburn - 1.5/3 - Definitely inspired by that time but it doesn’t transport me there back in time
    • Boys - 2.3/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 2.5/3 - I was skeptical when I saw that you had picked a K-pop song, but the big band influence is clear.
    • AVERAGE - 2.1
  • 1950s - Swingrowers - Jukebox
    • Auburn - 2.5/3 - Better, but I had to dock points for the scratching.
    • Boys - 2.6/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 2.7/3 - Super wrong and ahistorical explanation of popular music in the 1950s and 1960s being interchangeable, so perhaps you haven’t listened to much from either decade. But this is about the song you picked, and you succeeded in spite of yourself with this rockabilly throwback.
    • AVERAGE - 2.6
  • 1960s - MAMAMOO - Mr. Ambiguous
    • Auburn - 2/3 - It’s good but not great
    • Boys - 1.3/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 1.5/3 - When so many girl groups have recorded songs that directly recall the Phil Spector era, this was a marginal choice at best. The funk elements and the rap breakdown are off by at least a decade. (Fun fact: The Beatles actually hit #1 in the US before the Supremes!)
    • AVERAGE - 1.6
  • Total - 7.3/10

@Rotunda

• Name - 1/1
  • 1940s - Macy Gray and the California Jet Club - Undone
    • Auburn - 2/3 - Jazzy but not calling back to the right decade of jazz I think
    • Boys - 1.2/3 - No Comment
    • supaspaz - 1/3 - I can see why you drew a connection to jazz, but I’m hearing something more akin to a Shirley Bassey Bond theme, which would be the 1960s.
    • AVERAGE - 1.4
  • 1950s - Ariana Grande - Tattooed Heart
    • Auburn - 3/3 - I always tend to forget that Ariana used to be cute like this!
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Now I want to slow dance with my sweetie at the soda fountain.
    • AVERAGE - 2.933
  • 1960s - Paloma Faith - Only Love Can Hurt Like This 
    • Auburn - 3/3 - Definitely fits perfectly here.
    • supaspaz - 3/3 - Just to clarify, Motown isn’t a genre. It was a record label that popularized a style of R&B. This is more Wall of Sound pop, but that’s still prime 1960s.
    • AVERAGE - 3
  • Total - 8.33/10

Winner below...

Spoiler

@Opulent wins immunity and is safe at Tribal Council! Final results are next, but as an FYI, Tribal Council is DUE tomorrow, Wednesday, March 9th at 7 PM EST.

@Acetone@Anvarie  @beatinglikeadrum @fais_2311 

@khalyan @Opulent @Red Light @Rotunda

Now that you've all seen how you've done independently, let's see how you rank among all players and the cumulative rank updates!

Overall Rank:

1. Opulent (=)

2. khalyan (+2)

3. beatinglikeadrum (+3)

4. fais_2311 (+5)

5. Rotunda (-2)

6. Anvarie (-4)

7. Red Light (=)

8. Acetone (=)

Cumulative Rank:

1. Rotunda - 9.05

2. Opulent - 8.81

3. Anvarie - 8.78

4. Marvin - 8.11

5. Golden Hour - 8.06

6. Acetone - 7.95

7. Samsom - 7.8

8. khalyan - 7.77

9. Kayseri Mantisi - 7.6

10. Ampersand13 - 7.47

11. beatinglikeadrum - 7.45

12. fais_2311 - 7.44

13. Red Light - 7.2

14. VenusFlyTrap - 6.38

TRIBAL COUNCIL QUESTIONS

@Acetone - There are still items that can be played at Tribal Council. How do you strategize around that, and do you foresee any coming up tonight? 

@Anvarie - Survivor is a social game. What do you think of the relationships you've made so far, and how will those take you to the end?

@beatinglikeadrum - You received 3 out of the 9 votes last Tribal Council. How did this make you feel, and does it worry you for tonight? 

@fais_2311 @Red Light - you two have the lowest averages left in the game. How does this make you feel, and do you feel like it's a hindrance or a boon to your game?

@Opulent - congrats on winning immunity tonight! Do you think you would've been on the chopping block, had you not won immunity?

@Rotunda @khalyan - Kayseri caused some waves in the last Tribal Council. Do you expect some waves to happen tonight, or will this vote be an "easy" one?

Votes (due on Discord DMs) AND answers (in this thread) are DUE on Wednesday, March 9th at 7 PM EST!

13 minutes ago, rl231 said:

you two have the lowest averages left in the game. How does this make you feel, and do you feel like it's a hindrance or a boon to your game?

Both. It’s good cause ppl may think we are not a challenge threat so less likely to come for us, but at the same time, who wants to date ppl with the lowest average? I guess I need to do better

• ATRL Moderator
10 hours ago, rl231 said:

Kayseri caused some waves in the last Tribal Council. Do you expect some waves to happen tonight, or will this vote be an "easy" one?

No, at this point in the game no vote is easy.  It’s not as clear and inoffensive as the votes were a few rounds ago.  

you two have the lowest averages left in the game. How does this make you feel, and do you feel like it's a hindrance or a boon to your game?

Idk wtf a boon is but I’m not sure it has much of an effect either way at this stage. I’m really sad and embarrassed about this one (and have been even before the results came out because I knew how badly I fucked everything up). This was one of the few music challenges I should have done relatively well with but I kind of... rushed it. :gaycat6: I didn’t think long enough about the song choices/explore any songs; just chose some and felt like those would be best on a whim. I need to sit on my decisions for awhile before they’re submitted. Even the write-ups don’t really make sense except for the 40’s one. When I said the thing about the 50’s and 60’s being interchangeable I was thinking purely about late 50’s-early 60’s doo-*** and soul classics, and then in the 60’s write-up I even mentioned some of the different evolutions that happened which might have been reflective of later in the decade... yet I just went with a “Motown” track that barely sounded Motown. :toofunny3: I think I was playing too much within the field of songs that I liked even if they didn’t make sense. Literally as soon as I pressed submit I regretted everything and wanted to redo it.

Tbh this is the most humiliated I’ve been about a challenge. I was procrastinating on even opening the thread cuz I knew how hard I flopped. :bibliahh:

Edit: NOT w o p being censored

Edited by Red Light

11 hours ago, rl231 said:

You received 3 out of the 9 votes last Tribal Council. How did this make you feel, and does it worry you for tonight? 

I was surprised. Not gonna lie. And of course it worries me a lot, I am not stupid.

Survivor is a social game. What do you think of the relationships you've made so far, and how will those take you to the end?

Well I’ve gotten very close to Element and he promised me top 3 so I’m very optimistic about the game :gaycat4:

16 hours ago, rl231 said:

@Opulent - congrats on winning immunity tonight! Do you think you would've been on the chopping block, had you not won immunity?

Possibly? I received some votes last tribal council, which makes me think there are people who want me out. I think those same people might have voted for me this time had I not won immunity, but at the same time, plans and targets can change every round, so who knows. I'm definitely happy that I won it though, I'd rather be safe than vulnerable, regardless of whether I'm an actual target or not. 

There are still items that can be played at Tribal Council. How do you strategize around that, and do you foresee any coming up tonight? 

there cannot be too much strategy around items out there as it is a guessing game. There could be multiple things from the mystery boxes still around and there could be idols too. It gets mind numbing thinking about what could be out there :dies: It would be shocking if any items come up tonight but at the same time it would not be surprising since there are probably so many out there. 

17 hours ago, rl231 said:

@Rotunda @khalyan - Kayseri caused some waves in the last Tribal Council. Do you expect some waves to happen tonight, or will this vote be an "easy" one?

We’re at Final 8, so I’d say at this point an easy vote is a wasted vote. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.