Vanishing Letters 9 | WINNER REVEALED (p.187)| #WinterComing

Overprotected

2AopB7c.png

FKA Twigs - Give Up: Nice. One of the lp1 highlights

Lana del Rey - Gods and Monsters:  Paradise is not something I visit often but this is fine enough. 

Katy Perry - Roulette: Not bad. Always liked the verses more than the chorus. 

Avril Lavigne - I Love You: Gonna have to decline this one.  

Kesha - Blind: Decent tbh.

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn: Used to love this and the KSG album but it didn't age that well for me. 

CHVRCHES - Forever: Pretty average. 

Halsey - Devil in Me: Not a fan of this. 

Sky Ferreira - Boys: She knew how to make noise pop :jamming: 

HAIM - You Never Knew:  I never got the haim hype but this is tolerable. 

Lorde - Supercut: Good song. 

Lana del Rey - **** It I Love You: Another fine lana song. 

• Replies
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ughgabriel

• Kavish

• Dessy

• Overprotected

FKA Twigs - Give Up - ahhh this whole album is so ethereal :jonny2:

Lana del Rey - Gods & Monsters - a classic :worship: love paradise

Katy Perry - Roulette - very overrated but a cute sing :mandown: the verses and production are the best part

Avril Lavigne - I Love You - not terrible but very 2011 avril lavigne album track

Kesha - Blind - classic but aged a bit :jamming:

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn - it’s ok for what it is :chick1: a bit too repetitive tho

CHVRCHES - Forever - a cute bop from them

Halsey - Devil in Me - it’s a bit too tumblr’d (I’m surprised this is from hfk and not badlands) :chick1: I probably would’ve liked it more back then but it’s still cute

Sky Ferreira - Boys - one of my favorite sky songs :jonny5:

HAIM - You Never Knew - cute haim sing

Lorde - Supercut - talented brilliant incredible

Lana del Rey - **** It I Love You - talented brilliant incredible

FKA Twigs - Give Up

Not really my fave from LP1, it's somewhere in the miiddle for me.

Lana del Rey - Gods and Monsters

Aged really badly, didn't really enjoy it as much now.

Katy Perry - Roulette

The smash that never happened, oh well!

Avril Lavigne - I Love You

It's a cute song, not the really the best song here

Kesha - Blind

Well it's always nice to hear some classic Kesha.

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn

Yall were very brave to send this, good luck yall need it!

CHVRCHES - Forever

I mean this band is very one-note, you hear one song you've heard it all. This song was not bad tho. 

Halsey - Devil in Me

The chorus was kinda flat tho the song had some good moments.

Sky Ferreira - Boys

I feel like I've heard all of the NTMT's songs used in all the ATRL games here, not complaining!

HAIM - You Never Knew

Don't really know much from this album coz I don't really revisit it much but this sounded nice. Really enjoed it a lot.

Lorde - Supercut

It's just wrong to hate on this song so!

Lana del Rey - **** It I Love You

It's better than God and Monsters. 

FKA Twigs - Give Up: songs like these make me realize I don't actually like her music :(

Lana Del Rey - Gods & Monsters: Lana is hit or miss and this is a miss x

Katy Perry - Roulette: Not bad not bad

Avril Lavigne - I Love You: I actually think this is very cute

Kesha - Blind: I love this album so much, this isn't a standout to me but still adore it

KIDS SEE GHOSTS - Reborn: Not for me sorry!

CHVRCHES - Forever: I don't like their voices and their music is boring to me

Halsey - Devil In Me: now why don't I hate this as much as her other music askldfkdjas. her terrible voice works here!

Sky Ferreira - Boys: It's alright to me

HAIM - You Never Knew: I guess it's not that bad but I can easily see why it wasn't a single if that makes sense (:

Lorde - Supercut: This is a cute like 6.5/10, better than the average Lorde song to me

Lana Del Rey - **** it I love You: really do not enjoy this one sorry

UirdsX3.png

Spoiler

FKA Twigs - Give Up - Not one of my favorites from the album, I usually stop listening after Closer, it’s just a bit forgettable. Very nice production though.

Lana del Rey - Gods and Monsters - It’s a cute song, her voice feels too monotone though like way more than usual but I do like the production here. Anyways, Elsa Mars did it better I fear.

Katy Perry - Roulette - Such a banger and definitely a Witness highlight, I love the main synth line. 

Avril Lavigne - I Love You - An interesting contrast to the previous Max produced bop. I love it though, I don’t know if it’s the nostalgia talking (it probably is) but this song holds a special place in my heart :nickicry: 

Kesha - Blind - I just can’t bring myself to like her old music besides a few classics. Also her autotuned screams in the chorus are awful :plug: 

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn - Wow this was so boring, there was nothing here that caught my attention, I just zoned out during the whole song. 

CHVRCHES - Forever - This is one of the only few songs I liked from this album. The sound is quite generic but her voice and the melodies make it very cute. 

Halsey - Devil in Me - I’m a OHH sorry :( 

Sky Ferreira - Boys - Iconic opener, I enjoy the noisy pop-rock production from this album a lot.

HAIM - You Never Knew - Very lovely song from these icons, love the FM vibes. I will say though, this isn’t exactly a highlight in their discography for me but I still stan.

Lorde - Supercut - Never understood the love for this song (and this album in general tbh) it’s just alright, it’s definitely no green light.

Lana del Rey - **** It I Love You - Top 3 from the album for me :lemmelistening:

FKA Twigs - Give Up

not bad for her

I used to love this, not as much anymore but still good.

Katy Perry - Roulette

I still envision the I’m Gonna Getcha Good!/Tron inspired video this could have had! :nickicry:

very cute, interesting choice tho…

Kesha - Blind

love love love this

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn

hmmmm no :mandown: 

CHVRCHES - Forever

zzzz

Halsey - Devil in Me

one of the worst songs on this album lmao

Sky Ferreira - Boys

Absolutely yes

HAIM - You Never Knew

one of the best songs of their career :katie2:

Lorde - Supercut

Absolutely not. :pukey: 

it’s good but bottom 5 on the album for me :sorry: 

FKA Twigs - Give Up

Eh... not bad, but too bland, don't care for it

Even more bland than the previous song

Katy Perry - Roulette

Yupp, great song, one of the best from the album

Umm it's fine, it's kind of cute

Kesha - Blind

The vocals were painful to listen to at times, but I liked it more than the other songs

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn

I'm.... shocked that all 3 of you approved this and thought it was a good idea to send it

CHVRCHES - Forever

This was kinda cute... I wouldn't listen to it again, but it wasn't that dreadful or painfully boring

Halsey - Devil in Me

Ok I actually liked this, good pick, it was... clean? The production wasn't too much, the voice was cute

Sky Ferreira - Boys

It's cute, a bit too much for me though

HAIM - You Never Knew

Now this one's not enough for me!! but a cute vibe

Lorde - Supercut

Yess like thisss

Better than the other Lana song!!! It was more interesting while still being Lana

omqXTk5.gifNqTmio5.png

FKA Twigs - Give Up

- LP1 is a great album but this is one of the songs I really don't care about. It's good but nothing remarkable about it, really. This is the strongest of the two yet still lackluster compared to the other songs this round.

- Emile Haynie may have been the weakest choice this round. The chosen songs for him aren't really strong. It's just on the boring side tbh unlike the other Lana song this round.

Katy Perry - Roulette

- Oh yes. OOOOHHHHH YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS! One of my favorites from Witness and one my favorite album tracks from Mama Kat. You snapped with this selection. The production is just so good and the verses slay. I still hate her for not making this a single even when she was aware the fans were asking for it.

- This is okay but borderline boring. I appreciate the effort to show versatility for the producer but this combo falls a bit short. This is Max Martin, yeah? I believe there are other better choices for him.

Kesha - Blind

The writing here is the highlight of this song. It's actually on Taylor-level good songwriting. However I barely care about the production. So idk.

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn

I am torn with this selection. I don't like it but I don't also hate it but I am not indifferent towards it too. Idk. It won't rank last for me for sure.

CHVRCHES - Forever

Oh wow, this outfit might look good on me. Let me try it on with that pants and coat and - 

Oh I thought I was shopping at H&M listening to this song. :kii6:

Halsey - Devil in Me

- Uhm no. One of the songs in HFK that I deliberately skip.

Sky Ferreira - Boys

- You know what you did? THAT. A highlight in NTMT and in Miss Ferreira's career, no doubt.

HAIM - You Never Knew

- The selection for Ariel Reichstad :jonny5:Y'all not making it easy this round. This is so groovy and my preferred kind of songs.

Lorde - Supercut

- AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. This is like, my favourite song of all time. Deadly serious!!!!!!!!! The soft, sugary, warm, EUPHORIC melody + unique fairytale-like production combined with the slightly heart-breaking, vulnerable, raw and beautiful lyrics, which are somehow simultaneously simple yet complex and FULL of weight? When you look beyond the obvious, there is a hint of sadness and trauma in the references to her past here, and the fact that the central lyrics are framed in a double negative,,, as if she would normally be second guessing herself about the relationship but she is now NOT thinking of leaving, letting go etc.. overjoyed to finally feel secure and to have overcome the anxiety most of us know only too well from the earlier rocky stages of a relationship? This song kind of embodies the release of that anxiety and the comfort that brings. The way that the bridge BUILDS from the vocal layering in the second half is an extended moment of basically ecstasy, and like, these ad libs are why I stan Lorde... She sounds HEAVENLY. This song just hits so hard and I'm not even emotionally invested in a single soul on this planet rn, like this track kind of makes me excited to fall in love again and experience this journey???? OMG!!

- Lana did really nothing wrong with this album. This may not be one of the stronger songs in this album but still a well done masterpiece. Also props to this group for showing the versality of your chosen producer, Jack Antonoff.

GIVE UP - This is one of those songs that I like but never actively seek out. It’s good. 

GODS AND MONSTERS - Jessica Lange outsold. Jk I’m lying. This is solid. 

ROULETTE - This is one of the better songs on Witness. It’s a solid album track.

I LOVE YOU - This is a little too sugary sweet for me, but it’s not a bad filler track. 

BLIND - A standard filler track, tho again, not bad at all. 

REBORN - I only use 4th Dimension from this project 

FOREVER - Ah yes I love this, your ELITE serve 

DEVIL IN ME - Not a song I really use from this album but it’s fine 

SUPERCUT - Amazing tho doesn’t hit as much as it used to

BOYS - The production is a bit overwhelming but I like it otherwise 

YOU NEVER KNEW - As an obsessed Haim hater, I don’t mind this 

**** IT I LOVE YOU -  Amazing and hits as much as it used to 

Edited by Rotunda

• ATRL Moderator

FKA Twigs - Give Up

The production is really cool. IDK if I'd revisit it often, but I appreciate it as an exhibitionist statement.

This is very standard Lana to me... it doesn't go anywhere. It's not bad though -- a bit better than her next song here imo.

Katy Perry - Roulette

YASSSSSSSSSS the massive collapse. I'll never forgive her for not ~making Roulette a single~

Such a random choice but kind of cute and mellifluous.

Kesha - Blind

Hmmm the melody is fun but the production and her vocals... gurl. It's a bit rough to listen to.

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn

It's not for me.

CHVRCHES - Forever

I feel like a lot of their songs sound the same. IDK if it's her voice that is just the same damn pitch every time or something? This is cute though. A bit annoying at times but I enjoyed it enough.

Halsey - Devil in Me

The chorus of this is not bad honestly. I feel like this suffers a bit from being outshined by a lot of other HFK songs.

Sky Ferreira - Boys

She keeps popping up this season with these interesting synth-rock tracks. I liked it, and maybe I should check her album out in full? IDK. Someone tell me if I should.

HAIM - You Never Knew

I'm really not crazy about HAIM. This song is pleasant though. It gives me Fleetwood Mac inspired pop.

Lorde - Supercut

I have an augmented dislike of this song because of the INSANE and unwarranted praise it received years ago. It's fine, but ppl were acting like it was the best song ever recorded in human history. And so I just feel poorly towards it. Sorry x

Do not enjoy her vocals in the chorus. It's a bit of a snooze... but the ending picks up a bit.

Md95Haz.png

Kavish ⛧ Kritiques 

~

FKA Twigs - Give Up

Dreamy and atmospheric, and even her vocals act as a background instrument, which makes the song really charming.

Cinematic production, and the sound being gradually heightened and then slowed down again throughout the song gives it a captivating ambience.

Katy Perry – Roulette

The instrumentation is the most noteworthy part, which provides a faithful nod to the 80s, and the best song that I've heard from 'Witness' so far.

The composition is only Avril-esque with the strings and drum kits, but the tone is warm and comforting. Used to be the song of me and my best friend back then, so I have a soft spot for it.

Kesha – Blind

A lot of the production on 'Animal' sounds abrasive – sometimes too brash, sometimes too loud - and while this is one of them, it's still one of her pre-'Warrior' highlights.

Kids See Ghosts – Reborn

Borderline gospelesque atmosphere, and fitting given the subject matter. The recital of the chorus with the background organ is engaging and entrancing.

CHVRCHES – Forever

The thrashing beat and synths create an anthemic environment, even though it gets repetitive.

Halsey - Devil in Me

We respect a song that promotes the embrace of the Dark Lord. Our Creator who art in Hell, Sacred is thy eternal name. Bringer of daily indulgences, thy infernal kingdom awaits. Our will on Earth as it is in Hell, lead us towards Godhead and deliver us from ignorance. For thyne is the true Empire, the Power and the Glorious. Hail Satan!

Sky Ferreira – Boys

I find myself valuing her voice more in this track, which, paired with the instrumentals gives off a scratchy combination. 'Night Time, My Time' has songs that incorporated the grunge sound without it overpowering her.

HAIM - You Never Knew

Chill song, but the production remains pretty constant with the rare-appearing siren being the only interesting element, so there is not much to write home about.

Lorde – Supercut

Impeccable production with an urgent rhythm that is complementarily accompanied by a piano melody, and an adequate sister to "Green Light".

Pleasant blend of instrumentals, and the ominous alien sound that starts at 1:00 and closes the song really elevates it.

~

cult-the-craft.gif

lh6WQVX.png

Spoiler

FKA Twigs - Give Up

whew, okay so first of all, the verses are so amazing like im impressed with them so much

my impression kinda went down a bit when it reaches the pre-chorus hehe x but still, overall, its a good song!

this AHS smash :jamming: it used to hit harder idk what happened with me!!! despite saying that, its such a great song

its a classic like old lana and we love that for her :heart2: great job

Katy Perry - Roulette

this is a great pop song and i think my favorite on witness.. i love that it has a great build up to a chorus which makes the song enjoyable

i think its one of the best entries here for me so far but we still have lots of songs to go! love the song x

GRRRR i love this song so much :weeps: everything about this song is so good and yup im happy yall sent this

like literally, its a perfect pop song and its just so cute and still sounds so fresh now :smitten:

Kesha - Blind

ooh this one is interesting.. i'd say the production here is cute and it makes a cute pop song

the beat is indeed kinda loud but it works so i guess it did its job.. x

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn

i personally don't think the song is bad but its just not my thing so im gonna have to say im sorry :emofish:

like the beginning of the song is really bad and then it got better but 5 minutes are a bit too long.. i appreciate yall taking a risk tho

CHVRCHES - Forever

love the vibe of this song.. it makes me feel some types of way but yea, its a great song

and i actually like it better than i expected to so a good job here with this pick

Halsey - Devil in Me

its not bad but i just never liked this hfk era.. didn't like it then and still don't like it now :emofish:

Sky Ferreira - Boys

urgh such a great song tbh! i think this has grown on me a lot and now i rlly like it

its a great song with a great production and seems to be VL darling this season except for maybe the first song that was submitted from her

so yea... great job here

HAIM - You Never Knew

its okay i think. it started off very pretty but then it went kinda okay-ish but its typical haim songs for me~

so like i didn't expect much to it and its just that the production is pretty!!

Lorde - Supercut

lorde is still passionate about anything now x and idc what yall have to say about solar power :heart2:

anyways, this song... its simply just amazing. yea its not the best song of the world and i do think the fanbase overpraised it

and its also not my fave from her but it still deserves all the praises it got :heart2: :alexz: all hail teen hottie x

urgh.. this song. i just can't describe how much i love this song and everything about this song

just take my 1st place i guess.. take it all, take my everything :weeps:

bimlegend.thumb.gif.a2fb5af2334c464104bc

FKA Twigs - Give Up - an excellent song 

Lana del Rey - Gods and Monsters - one of my least fav lana songs but it's better than a few of the songs here. 

Katy Perry - Roulette - A banger, I used to think this was the most overrated song on the album because personally Power, Pendulum, Tsunami, Save As Draft and Witness are all better songs to me but since 2019 I have grown to appreciate and see the pop excellence in this. 

Avril Lavigne - I Love You - this is cute, not something id willingly pick out but it's cute ish yeah mhm 

Kesha - Blind - I realize I am not a fan of Kesha album tracks. Only really care for her singles and Rainbow. It's kinda cute ish tho idk

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn - I love this song, idc. Much better than some of the basic songs here. Love Cudi. 

CHVRCHES - Forever - I mean it's cute yeah but it's also basic yeah  

Halsey - Devil in Me - my fav halsey album, unfortunately this is not one of the highlights but it's cute tho sweetie,mhm. 

Sky Ferreira - Boys - this is okay, I prefer the other song from this album from that past round yuh 

HAIM - You Never Knew - this is amazing, I really need to listen to their discography, I need to get my life!! 

Lorde - Supercut - whew what a song! truly snapped 

Lana del Rey - **** It I Love You - a career highlight, love this song so ****ing much

GwGkVeR.png?width=360&height=450

GIVE UP - excellent choice for this round! The production on this is absolutely stunning and haunting. Think it shows off the qualities of the producer really well and it's also great song in itself.

GODS & MONSTERS - the jessica lange version is better great pick :heart2:  

ROULETTE - I can see why the Russian kats were OBSESSED!!! For an artist like Katy who doesn't have the craziest production elements, this is one of her most interesting songs production wise. Also a cute bop!

I LOVE YOU - Sadly I don't think this is a great choice </3 I won't lash much further but this ain't no winner sorry yall

BLIND - Some kesha songs have a certain sense of nostalgia that no other song has. This is def one of them. Very nice pick

REBORN - wondering if this was really the best choice for this competition. It's def one of the least accessible tracks here. I might reward a bit for risk taking, but I don't really like this track or any KSG track for that matter so...

FOREVER - yeah it's incredibly faceless, but it's def enjoyable. 

DEVIL IN ME - I don't think either track really highlights the strength of the producer here sadly. Whilst I like Forever, both read pretty faceless. With other groups I feel like at least one of the two songs showed of the qualities of the producer. For what it's worth, neither are bad songs, but they're also both not very interesting

BOYS - excellent pick; the production is dynamic and interesting and the song itself is also great!

YOU NEVER KNEW - you guys totally killed it. Both songs are wildly different from each other, but both have incredible production, and are incredible songs. Another excellent pick :heart2: 

SUPERCUT - might just be my favorite Lorde song. Feel like it encompasses the feeling of Melodrama also really well. It's a bop, but the lyrics are sharp and devastating. The production by the musical terrorist is also great

**** IT I LOVE YOU - not yall passing the test and actually picking two good songs from the musical terrorist!! I would've also accepted any st vincent cut but yeah these are the best options. I do feel like this always stood in the shadow of The Greatest when both were released as promo singles, but it's still such a great track in its own right. Good job :heart2: 

ayqIos2.png

Spoiler

FKA Twigs - Give Up: Good in the album context, pretty boring here. Very repetitive, but the production is good.

Lana del Rey - Gods and Monsters: One of her best. Love the mystique in this and all the connections between American icons and religious figures. The writing here is absolutely genius with tens of her best lines, with one of the best depictions to me of the land of fame and how people rise, fall and lose themselves to vices and darkness.

Katy Perry - Roulette: A classic album track :WAP: will forever love this after experiencing the slayage live. It's a very straighforward pop song like Katy's best and it does what it need to do.

Avril Lavigne - I Love You: Better than I expected I guess, it's really cute and sweet but doesn't stack up to the highs in this round.

Kesha - Blind: Don't really have anything to say. It's a Kesha 2011 album track, and it's just as dated and unmemorable as one would picture it to be.

Kids See Ghosts - Reborn: One of the worst songs in this album. Really annoying and grating, goes nowhere.

CHVRCHES - Forever: Yeah their sound is one and done, but I can't make the music not bop. It's a solid pop song, with a great pre-chorus and a really catchy chorus.

Halsey - Devil in Me: It's giving... it's giving... demo that somehow found its way in the album. There's good ideas in this - I always love when Halsey goes with a darker sound and talks about her demons -, but the final product is a bit half baked.

Sky Ferreira - Boys: The burst of electricity and power this round needed. Once again channeling the 80s and all its pop sensibilities into an edgy rock song. Love it.

HAIM - You Never Knew: Excellent gem from a very overlooked album. Some of my favorite HAIM tracks are them channeling Rumors-era Fleetwood and this is exactly one of them. Bitter, theatrical and very classic Americana with a modern twist.

Lorde - Supercut: Kinda hate this for how annoyingly overrated and overdone it is, but I can't deny it's a great pop song, an euphoric burst of memories where not all of them are good but you still embrace them for where they brought you.

Lana del Rey - **** It I Love You: This song feels like I'm on the ocean high as hell and just letting the waves crash into me. It has a sense of carelessness and release that is both bitter and liberating at the same time. Love how the synths and psychedelic elements of production heighten the woozy, drugged out delivery.

all judges praising our entries except for OP. i think i should join the calls for new hoEst search.

LcZ6mIR_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Give Up
Very nice pick

Gods and Monsters
Not the most thrilling or interesting song but it’s nice enough

Roulette
Always thought this was really innovative production and objectively one of the best songs on Witness. Having said that, I don’t really actually like it all that much

I Love You
Pretty juvenile and terrible, and not in a fun way. Super corny choice certain to be last 

Blind
Not gagging but it’s a bit of a cheap bop 

Reborn
Ummm this isn’t an awful song but it’s definitely an awful choice in the context of this competition and the options available. I kind of like the vibe but it’s not memorable enough for me to want to listen again

Forever
One of their best songs. I know this album is newer but their music kinda transports me to a Topman shopping floor in 2015, though (RIP)

Devil In Me
Cute song from a crowd pleaser album. Smart choice but I’m not inspired, mostly yawning 

Boys 
I’m bored of y’all sending her. It’s kinda lovely though..

You Never Know
Don’t really use this album but this is pleasant 

Supercut
How is this not banned damn it must have come off the banned list from S5 or whatever. Anyways you know you snatched a classic 

**** it I love you 
This is really pretty

5 minutes ago, Navyofbadgals said:

MODS! DUPE ALERT!!!

Please he just pmd me the critiques cause hes a bit too drunk to format them :shy:

Just now, Fruity said:

Those are my critiques thanks gabe for posting I can’t format on mobile ??

:heart:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.