Very Relatable 

Charli XCX - forever  

this song is just annoying

Ariana Grande - breathin’

We have a winner here. Best song on sweetener

David Archuleta - Just Breathe

Cute

Dua Lipa - Don’t Start Now  -

i don't know how this relates to the topic tbh although its one of the best songs of the year

Open Mike Eagle - Everything Ends Last Year  -

Fit's the theme but no I'm sorry i don't really like it

Chloe x Halle - Lonely  -

They did that with this whole album and this song is a great fit

Electric Youth - Innocence

Nice vibe

Madonna - Like a Virgin

A classic bop that feels relatable haha

Twenty One Pilots - Stressed Out

I hadn't heard this in years til today and realized how annoying it actually is wow lol

20 hours ago, ughgabriel said:

Also wtf @ the judges saying the songs could be about any mood that was related to our 2020 yet criticizing every single one of them that was not related to the pandemic :rip: 

the pandemic pretty much was 2020 tho at least thats how i see it

The panning for Mitski's Nobody :biblio:

Anyhow, I will send my critiques and ranking after my work in 30 minutes.

DGU4Ipz.png

GROUP A

On Track - This is pretty good, yes it sounds like a lot of their songs but they have a nice sound so. I should probably listen to the album :zach: 

bury a friend - Classic and one of the few songs I used from this aged album, deserved bad guy’s success and acclaim I think

I Know Alone - Talented, brilliant, amazing, incredible, showstopping, never done before, etc. 

Nothin’ You Can Do About It - I do appreciate a risk like this and I’m a sucker for jazzy chords so points for that

Quit or Run - Talentless, boring, dull, terrible, already done before

Losing You - It’s very nice to listen to although not very remarkable I would say

Friends in the Corner - So this wasn’t bad, her music is kinda generic so I expected worse

Cardigan - Ugh her indie’d serve, I love the details in the chill production. Unfortunately I’m struggling to see the correlation with the theme but I won’t tank for that.

A World Alone - Pre-Melodrama Lorde kinda does nothing for me except for some singles so this is just meh, thank you for sending tho <3

Solitaire - Um this started out interesting, but I lost interest

I Get Lonely - Classic song, classic album I mean what else can I say

Nobody - Classic song, classic album (2)

These Four Walls - Pop ballads with a basic instrumental and piano just bore me so much sans a few exceptions but this isn’t one sorry :( 

Better - I didn’t like the chorus here but it was decent overall

Cry About It Later - Idk not for me :(

Celebrate You - I rarely use the second half from this album and this kinda sounds like Carly Rae Jepsen song which I don’t like but it has a very cute melody so there’s that

Star - Yeah this is very cute and catchy, I use

GROUP B

I Know The End - I think she’s very boring but well this was kinda amazing, the switch at the end whew

I Wanna Go -  aged bop x

Ok Not To Be Ok - What I like about this is that it’s only 2 and a half minutes long, the chorus cute too I suppose

Together Again - Classic song, classic album yeah

WTF Do I Know - Her voice really works with this kind of sound, it’s very 2009, I like it  

Stayin Alive - This was a clever choice, classic yeah even though their voices are kinda annoying

Fever - I don’t get the praise for this, it’s basic and a step down from FN

Breakout - Nostalgic classic :demon:

forever - I do not get the hype for this girl, like her experimental/noisy production doesn’t compliment her basic melodies imo

breathin’ - I did not like this as much as I thought I would, kinda aged but it’s still decent 

Just Breathe - Well I kinda expected worse, it’s cute

Don’t Start Now - Modern classic yes although the live version pops off harder

Everything Ends Last Year - Now why did I enjoyed this 

Lonely - Not an album highlight for me but definitely a highlight here 

Innocence - This is cute hold on 

Like A Virgin - I kinda find Debutdonna’s voice annoying, classic I guess though

Stressed Out - Dated classic 

2 minutes ago, Overprotected said:

Hope you enjoyed my very insightful critiques

py4EXIM.thumb.jpg.a1294403af092c73ab30e0

KING!

py4EXIM.thumb.jpg.a1294403af092c73ab30e0

Vo5fOBd.png

GROUP A

Spoiler

how 2020 made us feel.

Tame Impala - On Track

This song is about preservice and is an optimistic approach to the round. Contextually, the lyrical content of the song is deeply relevant and what makes this an excellent entry. Good luck with whatever you're trying to achieve for and good entry!

Personally, this is somewhere in-between for me. I neither like nor dislike the song, it's one of those songs I just need to be in a mood for, y'know?

Thematic Critique: ★★★★★

Personal Critique: ★★★☆☆

Billie Eilish - bury a friend

I searched the meaning behind the lyrics and given that "bury a friend’ is literally from the perspective of the monster under my [Billie] bed" and with the theme being how 2020 made you feel. I'm left with the assumption that your entry is about your own monsters and how you deal with them. A song with dark suicidal undertones and a good entry, well done.

Personally, I like the song and it is one of my favourites off the album. 

Thematic Critique: ★★★☆☆

Personal Critique: ★★★★☆

HAIM - I Know Alone

This is a cute entry, but it's a bit too on the nose for my tastes. But thematically it is very strong, so good job on that! Lyrically relevant to the theme and the song does what it needs to, a cute entry.

Personally, it's nice, I'd leave it on if it came on the radio but wouldn't search out for it willingly.

Personal Critique: ★★☆☆☆

The Manhattan Transfer - Nothin' You Can Do About It

It fits the theme, captures the sense of having no control over what happens (can definitely relate to that in 2020) and underneath the façade of an up-tempo and optimistic production. Thematically it's okay, I'd but in the above average.

Personally, easily my favourite of the group and of the round. Thank you for this amazing discovery!

Personal Critique: ★★★★★

Startisan - Quit or Run

Thematically it fits with the feeling of giving up, it's dark in a way but hides it underneath the somewhat motivating production. Decent entry.

I applaud your confidence in sending this, it's honestly not that bad. But I honestly would not be able to tell this apart from any other country song. It's cute for what it is though!

Solange - Losing You

It's a song about losing your lover, sad to feel that, but the song is set in the present tense rather than the past, which makes it hard for me to understand how this fits thematically. 

Personally, it's okay, something to listen to in the background.

Thematic Critique: ★☆☆☆☆

Foxes - Friends in the Corner

It fits the theme lyrically recalling on nostalgia and how we take things for granted and the reminiscence of it. Decent entry (I actually had a better writeup but the ****ing editor didn't keep it)

Personally, this is not something I would ever listen to. But I'm glad to have gotten the experience! 

Personal Critique: ★☆☆☆☆

Taylor Swift - Cardigan

The song does reach into themes that you could consider valid as it engages with love and heartbreak, but it does it in a way through the lyrical content that it invalidates the option of pertaining it to 2020, which is what the round is about. 

Personally, this is my favourite from the album so I love it! 

Lorde - A World Alone

This song revolves around the realisation that other peoples opinions don't matter to you and is a theme I like. It's about realising that what other people say don't matter as long as you have your man with you! So good for you for, fàg! 

Personally, Teen hottie did that! 

Marina - Solitaire

It fits thematically as it indorses and embraces an individual's introverted nature in the way that it's okay to be on your own and that you don't need to be in a relationship to be considered prosperous or productive. 

I was liking it, till it got to the chorus, complete boner killer. It just went nowhere. 

Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely

Thematically fitting, AND lyrically conscious too. Not much to say here besides good job

Fun fact, the 3rd Monday lyric is contextually relevant to covid too as "WHO released the international community's Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan to help protect states with weaker health systems."

Winner winner chicken dinner, didn't I get eliminated to this song last season.

Thematic Critique: ★★★★☆

Mitski - Nobody

Loneliness is a heavy theme in this song, and is portrayed excellently, fitting the theme greatly, good job. 

Personally, love the song, hate the album. 

Little Mix - These Four Walls

The fact the song is touching on the passing of someone they loved makes this very lyrically relevant with the whole pandemic (well not for me, cause I live in a country that actually handled it well. So can't relate, sorry, yeah). Nonetheless, decent entry.

Personally, it's not something I would listen to out of my own time. But if it came on, I wouldn't skip.

TWICE - Better

Based on how the song's concept is "I can’t meet even if I want to meet, but I’m connected", lyrically it is relevant and I think the song fulfills the theme enough. Decent entry, good job.

I rarely enjoy Japanese singles by Kpop acts, I think RV is the only one who do it tastefully (just kidding, their Japanese is sus but Sayonara and Sappy ends discographies). But this is good! Definitely saving it. 

Katy Perry - Cry About It Later

So the central theme of the song seems to revolve around refusing to face your problems and saving them for another day. This fits the theme decently enough, congrats!

This album was done SOOOO wrong, it's full of bops and it deserved so much more. I enjoyed this song!

Kylie Minogue - Celebrate You

"Mary is all of us. She’s anyone who needs a cuddle and some reassurance." Encapsulates the song perfectly and presents a really strong entry, it's a song of assurance, love, and upliftment, something that was definitely needed in 2020 as Kylie presents herself to Mary. Good entry, congrats!

This song is middle of the road for me, I didn't particularly this album, it's honestly in the bottom three of her discog for me. But appreciate this song nonetheless!

Personal Critique: ★★★☆☆

LOONA - Star

How is this relevant to the round at all? Very confused.

It's cute!

Thematic Critique: ☆☆☆☆☆

exactly jibby

Spoiler

Tame Impala — On Track

Like that we’re starting optimistic! Nice, breezy song. Could see this doing well.

Billie Eilish — bury a friend

Oh my, this is on the darker side of things. I’ve heard the song once before & listening to it again, I’m noticing the production much more — the song as a whole is more memorable.

HAIM — I Know Alone

I like that the song’s a bit more “open” (if that makes sense?) from what I was expecting. This isn’t my kind of music, but I definitely hear where you were going with it.

The Manhattan Transfer — Nothin’ You Can Do About It

Er… I’m feeling some aspects of it & not at the same time. The connection to the round is pretty clear which is good. I’d probably need to listen at least twice more to figure out where to place this.

Startisan — Quit or Run

This wasn’t for me. At least the connection to the round’s clear here.

Solange — Losing You

This song’s become a bit of a gem as the years have passed. The production is especially great! A different interpretation, but I can see how mortality can come out of the lyrics.

Foxes — Friends in the Corner

80% sold on the connection to the round for this one. I’m liking the song itself too, so I don’t see myself placing it in the bottom of my rankings.

Taylor Swift — cardigan

First-time-listener here & the song’s nice. I’ve tried taking a few passes at the lyrics & I’m still unsure how this could have some specificity to this round.

Lorde — A World Alone

Loooooove this.

MARINA — Solitaire

When FROOT was first released this was one of my favorite songs. Overtime, I would say I haven’t been as keen, but it’s easy to hear the connection to the theme & I still do like the song.

Janet Jackson — I Get Lonely

Everything about this is fantastic; nice job!

Mitski — Nobody

Seen her open for Lorde but kept forgetting to check her out (except for when she pops up in games like this). I’m feeling this a lot!

Little Mix — These Four Walls

I’m liking this somber section in playlist here. Liking these effort-ed lyrics & the girls sound great.

TWICE — Better

Hm, production & vocals weren’t so much for me, though they’re definitely better than some previous entries. On the upside, I’m hearing the lyrical connection to the round clearly & I can relate. 

Katy Perry — Cry It About Later

Still love this song as much as when I’d first heard it. I could see how you’ve interpreted this differently — I’m not sure I’m convinced though. Would probably be in the middle of the pack for me.

Kylie Minogue — Celebrate You

Hm… love Kylie & DISCO but I’m not feeling this particular song for this round much. It seems like it’s a “lemme churn out a DISCO track quick ‘cause everyone’s loving the album but before Kylie’s banned this season”-type entry. It still works to the round, though the interpretation seems basic.

LOONA — Star

I’d need more context to see the connection to the round. The song itself I wasn’t feeling either. Seems like this would towards the bottom of my rankings, sorry!

12 hours ago, wondy said:

So the central theme of the song seems to revolve around refusing to face your problems and saving them for another day. This fits the theme decently enough, congrats!

This album was done SOOOO wrong, it's full of bops and it deserved so much more. I enjoyed this song!

TELL 'EM!

I'll send my rankings later today 

18 hours ago, wondy said:

Vo5fOBd.png

GROUP A

Reveal hidden contents

how 2020 made us feel.

Tame Impala - On Track

This song is about preservice and is an optimistic approach to the round. Contextually, the lyrical content of the song is deeply relevant and what makes this an excellent entry. Good luck with whatever you're trying to achieve for and good entry!

Personally, this is somewhere in-between for me. I neither like nor dislike the song, it's one of those songs I just need to be in a mood for, y'know?

Personal Critique: ★★★☆☆

Billie Eilish - bury a friend

I searched the meaning behind the lyrics and given that "bury a friend’ is literally from the perspective of the monster under my [Billie] bed" and with the theme being how 2020 made you feel. I'm left with the assumption that your entry is about your own monsters and how you deal with them. A song with dark suicidal undertones and a good entry, well done.

Personally, I like the song and it is one of my favourites off the album. 

HAIM - I Know Alone

This is a cute entry, but it's a bit too on the nose for my tastes. But thematically it is very strong, so good job on that! Lyrically relevant to the theme and the song does what it needs to, a cute entry.

Personally, it's nice, I'd leave it on if it came on the radio but wouldn't search out for it willingly.

The Manhattan Transfer - Nothin' You Can Do About It

It fits the theme, captures the sense of having no control over what happens (can definitely relate to that in 2020) and underneath the façade of an up-tempo and optimistic production. Thematically it's okay, I'd but in the above average.

Personally, easily my favourite of the group and of the round. Thank you for this amazing discovery!

Startisan - Quit or Run

Thematically it fits with the feeling of giving up, it's dark in a way but hides it underneath the somewhat motivating production. Decent entry.

I applaud your confidence in sending this, it's honestly not that bad. But I honestly would not be able to tell this apart from any other country song. It's cute for what it is though!

Solange - Losing You

It's a song about losing your lover, sad to feel that, but the song is set in the present tense rather than the past, which makes it hard for me to understand how this fits thematically. 

Personally, it's okay, something to listen to in the background.

Foxes - Friends in the Corner

It fits the theme lyrically recalling on nostalgia and how we take things for granted and the reminiscence of it. Decent entry (I actually had a better writeup but the ****ing editor didn't keep it)

Personally, this is not something I would ever listen to. But I'm glad to have gotten the experience! 

Personal Critique: ★☆☆☆☆

Taylor Swift - Cardigan

The song does reach into themes that you could consider valid as it engages with love and heartbreak, but it does it in a way through the lyrical content that it invalidates the option of pertaining it to 2020, which is what the round is about. 

Personally, this is my favourite from the album so I love it! 

Lorde - A World Alone

This song revolves around the realisation that other peoples opinions don't matter to you and is a theme I like. It's about realising that what other people say don't matter as long as you have your man with you! So good for you for, fàg! 

Personally, Teen hottie did that! 

Marina - Solitaire

It fits thematically as it indorses and embraces an individual's introverted nature in the way that it's okay to be on your own and that you don't need to be in a relationship to be considered prosperous or productive. 

I was liking it, till it got to the chorus, complete boner killer. It just went nowhere. 

Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely

Thematically fitting, AND lyrically conscious too. Not much to say here besides good job

Fun fact, the 3rd Monday lyric is contextually relevant to covid too as "WHO released the international community's Strategic Preparedness and Response Plan to help protect states with weaker health systems."

Winner winner chicken dinner, didn't I get eliminated to this song last season.

Mitski - Nobody

Loneliness is a heavy theme in this song, and is portrayed excellently, fitting the theme greatly, good job. 

Personally, love the song, hate the album. 

Little Mix - These Four Walls

The fact the song is touching on the passing of someone they loved makes this very lyrically relevant with the whole pandemic (well not for me, cause I live in a country that actually handled it well. So can't relate, sorry, yeah). Nonetheless, decent entry.

Personally, it's not something I would listen to out of my own time. But if it came on, I wouldn't skip.

TWICE - Better

Based on how the song's concept is "I can’t meet even if I want to meet, but I’m connected", lyrically it is relevant and I think the song fulfills the theme enough. Decent entry, good job.

I rarely enjoy Japanese singles by Kpop acts, I think RV is the only one who do it tastefully (just kidding, their Japanese is sus but Sayonara and Sappy ends discographies). But this is good! Definitely saving it. 

Kylie Minogue - Celebrate You

"Mary is all of us. She’s anyone who needs a cuddle and some reassurance." Encapsulates the song perfectly and presents a really strong entry, it's a song of assurance, love, and upliftment, something that was definitely needed in 2020 as Kylie presents herself to Mary. Good entry, congrats!

This song is middle of the road for me, I didn't particularly this album, it's honestly in the bottom three of her discog for me. But appreciate this song nonetheless!

LOONA - Star

How is this relevant to the round at all? Very confused.

It's cute!

Thematic Critique: ☆☆☆☆☆

Stealing your star ratings thing YUP!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.