The Vanishing Letters | Winner: rl231

Navyofbadgals

Well I doubt I'm getting elemonaded and honestly that in itself is an achievement considering how far removed my taste is compared to most.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Navyofbadgals

• miguel

• thecptz

• touya kinomoto

Okay fine 3 ppl x

tumblr_om2cv8xKhy1v6bs4yo1_250.gifv

TOUYA'S CRITIQUES

GROUP 1

Spoiler

a. Друг (Drug) feat. anna severnee - деньночь 

Props for sending a song in a foreign language that's not Korean. I like the eclectic vibe of this song, kinda reminds me of Evanescence.

b. Everglow - Moon

C'mon KPop invasion! The production is sublime on this one. I just hate the "rapped" parts in the 2nd verse. FYI: I am never a fan of forced and formulaic addition of rap verses in Kpop songs.. It's not formulaic here but feels a bit forced but overall, I like this a lot considering I have never heard any song from this group before.

c. P!nk -  (Hey Why) Miss You Sometime

The bravery for sending a song from an artist that ATRL generally dislikes. But just so you know, I don't hate ha. However, I find this appalling. The instrumentals combined with her vocals (which is great as always) and rhythm is so jarring. I appreciated the song when it slowed down during the bridge.

d. Tove Lo - Stay Over

Not gonna lie I have some high expectations for Miss Love To as she has served one of my fave songs of the past decade ("Talking Body" is still a major bop!). So I found this one just okay. It's not bad but nothing spectacular as well. It's a middle-of-the-pack entry for me I guess.

e. WJSN - You Got

C'mon Kpop invasion! [2] I have said this a million times before but I'll say it again. I love a song that does retro sound perfectly. This does that so right. The rap verse in the bridge does not feel forced. It's got me bopping, not gonna lie.

f. Red Velvet - LP

C'mon Kpop invasion! [3] This is in their last album, for real? I feel underwhelmed by this tbh. After serving masterpiece with Bad Boy from a few years ago, they had this? I mean, it's okay but this lacks a but of a punch. Thank God for that saxophone part though. It made the song a bit more interesting.

g. VÉRITÉ - body in my bed

This is interesting. I am not sure if I have heard any of her songs but it feels familiar. Maybe it's the style. It's kinda similar to some other artist, I just can't place which one though.

h. Tove Lo - Mateo

I understand why prezli doesn't like this. This does not go anywhere. It's just flat for me. But it's better than the other Love To song here. However, is it really the best that Sunshine Kitty has to offer? What happened to the artist that gave us the masterpiece that is Blue Lips?

i. Yeule - An Angel Held Me Like A Child

Not gonna lie but my reaction when her vocals first kicked in was "MY GOD WHAT A CREEPY SONG!". I appreciate the direction you wanna go here but the lack of lyrics doesn't work for me. The overall production though is stellar. I just wish it has more words to it.

j. Kelsey Lu - Poor Fake

Now this is a hidden gem! I thought this was gonna be a pretentious ballad with the violin intro. But then that retro beat kicked on and I fell in love with this. Probably my fave from this group.

k. Billie Eilish - i love you

Hmmm, I really don't know what to say about this. At least it is not xanny so there's that.

l. GFRIEND - Wish

C'mon Kpop invasion! [4] I actually find the production in this one quite interesting. However I don't like how they repeated the word "wish" in the chorus. It's fukken uglee. It still remains as one of the better Kpop songs in this round.

m. Sigrid - basic

This is a good song but nothing special about it. I guess it is aptly titled. :michael:

n. Twice - Trick It

C'mon Kpop invasion! [5] It started promising ngl. And then than rap part before the chorus hit and it went downhill from there. It's cute I guess but it's no Feer Speciuhr.

o. Turnover - Number On The Gate

The only male in the group. It's not bad but nothing special too. It's just there.

GROUP 2

Spoiler

a. LÉON - Pink

It has a decent production and her vocals is great. It's good. Nothing to dislike with this song but nothing to venerate too much about it too.

b. Betty Who - All This Woman

Are we sure this is the same woman that did an awesome cover of Donna Lewis' classic I Love You Always Forever? What happened to her?

c. Red Velvet - In & Out

C'mon Kpop invasion! [6] This is certainly better than the other RV song, I'll give you that. It has a cute production that I really don't understand but I dig it. I just don't like that spoken bits in the 2nd verse.

d. Miley Cyrus - Unholy

Is Slide Away (ha best output of 2019 and probably of ha career) ha only good song last year? At least this is no Cattitude so there's that.

e. Dido - Hell After This

Wait no no no no no no. I refuse to accept that this is the same artist that gave us White Flag and Thank You. No no no no no! This is just bad.

f. Beyoncé - Crazy In Love (Homecoming Live)

Isn't this a bit of a cop out? I wanna give this a bad ranking but this is a great song undeniably.

g. Céline Dion - The Hard Way

This is alright. I mean, it's not the worst song this round.

h. Weyes Blood - Wild Time

Finally an Ice Flood song. This is quite cinematic. The vocals, the lyrics, a masterpiece. Unfortunately this is not their best song in this round.

i. Weyes Blood - A Lot's Gonna Change

And here's what I am talking about. 10s 10s 10s across the board. Don't care what the others say but you won this group and the round for me.

j. Kerli - Legends

This is a time machine I didn't ask to take. It brought me back to some of the worse songs of the early 2010s. Bye!

k. Self Esteem - I'm Shy

What the hell did I just listen to? I am sorry ma'am but it's a NO.

l. Billie Eilish - my strange addiction

This is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles better than the other Millie Waifish song. I usually cringe at song with spoken aspects but here, the spoken parts make the song more interesting

m. Sigrid - Never Mine

Definitely better than the basic song. It's actually a perfectly crafted pop song. This is the Sigrid I know. :clap3:

n. Miley Cyrus - The Most

Now hold on, this one is actually pretty good. I love the simplistic production. It's letting Miley's vocals shine. Miiiiiiiiles better than the other Ashley O song here.

Edited by touya kinomoto

My dumb ass was about to reply to the commentary but then remembered we have to keep anonymity :-x

comments? questions? violent reactions?

@ ME BETCHEES!

Isn't this a bit of a cop out? I wanna give this a bad ranking but this is a great song undeniably.

A cop out? More like just a clever selection, which somehow managed to adhere to the round's rules. :fan:

Finally an Ice Flood song. This is quite cinematic. The vocals, the lyrics, a masterpiece. Unfortunately this is not their best song in this round.

Finally some praise for a hymn.

10 minutes ago, Clueless said:

A cop out? More like just a clever selection, which somehow managed to adhere to the round's rules. :fan:

Is this your song? Let me rank it last as a revenge. :eli:

4 minutes ago, Clueless said:

Finally some praise for a hymn.

Well, what can I say? I have taste.

Just now, Touch It said:

thank u

You're welcome king! :hug:

This first round will be a good learning lesson, if I survive.

I'll figure out if the judges just want stupid, vapid pop songs, or if they actually care about lyrics, production, vocals, etc.

rankings sent! good luck gurlies!

Rankings sent! don't feel like writing critiques but I think the two people that sent Weyes Blood are beautiful

Navyofbadgals

• ATRL Moderator

A. LÉON - Pink - really mesmerizing towards the end, beautiful choice

B.  Betty Who - All This Woman - the start was so promising but the chorus was SUCH a letdown

C. Red Velvet - In & Out - a cute bop

D. Miley Cyrus - Unholy - i like this for the most part

E. Dido - Hell After This - ugh this was a bit of a mess honestly

F. Beyoncé - Crazy In Love (Homecoming Live) - honestly this submission was lame. down w loopholes!

G. Céline Dion - The Hard Way - the chorus melody was cute and different, not bad

H. Weyes Blood - Wild Time  - v cinematic, will listen to titanic rising one day

I. Weyes Blood - A Lot's Gonna Change - v cinematic, will listen to titanic rising one day

J. Kerli - Legends - I actually really enjoyed this!

K. Self Esteem - I'm Shy - SWEETIE. Sweetie... why did you think this was a good choice to send in

L. Billie Eilish - my strange addiction - great choice, the production and melody are really intriguing

M. Sigrid - Never Mine - an excellent pop song as everyone else has sad

N. Miley Cyrus - The Most - this one is cute enough but not my fave from she is coming

New banner up by element :fan: 

compiling some of the results so far, but still waiting on some people, will @ them when I know the full list xo

Hi! If you've received this tag it means that you have yet to send, OR you have sent but your ranking is incomplete. If your ranking is incomplete you have received a message back so do message me back in that case :cm: 

The people that still need to send their rankings/complete it:

@talent @thecptz @MusicLoverDude @luckystrike

also still need to receive rankings (and critiques if they can) from @Disruptive (this bitch knows) and @Astronomy

I have extended the deadline for sending rankings until 6PM est tonight, please send me your rankings, you can randomize it for all i care, listen to it all or whatever, but I would like to receive them (or at least a message that it's coming or that it's not coming). You can always ask for more extensions but I think there's been plenty of time to rank :cm: failure of contestants to send in a ranking before the results will result in a penalty so be sure to send :cm: 

thanks to those who have already sent, will make sure to make the next round a bit faster (hopefully) :cm: 

For real tho, sorry to all for the late critiques and rankings, it's been a rough week in uni:sad:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.