All Time Hot 100 Songwriters

Ash12345

8. Stevie Wonder

1280_et_steviewonder_021615.jpg?itok=nrU

Stevland Morris, better known as Stevie Wonder, was blind from the time he was a baby due to complications resulting from a premature birth. So, he developed his other senses, he sang in choir of a local Detroit church and learned to play instruments such as the harmonica, drums and piano. Gracing the Earth with his presence is not the only thing he got an early start at, he also got a record deal with Motown when he was just 11. Motown producer and songwriter Clarence Paul gave him the stage name of Little Stevie Wonder, and he began recording albums. Initially, they were Ray Charles covers and Clarence Paul compositions, although they also included a few Stevie Wonder co-writes. His first records only experienced moderate success in local markets, but at age 13, his single, "Finger Tips" blew up and hit #1 on the Hot 100, pushing its parent album to also reach #1 on the Billboard 200, and making him the youngest artist to hit #1 on the Hot 100. He then experienced a slump in success for a couple years that caused Motown to consider dropping him. However, in the end the only thing that was dropped was his voice and the "Little" from his monicker, as "Uptight (Everything's Alright)", co-written with Sylvia Moy and Henry Cosby, went #3 on the Hot 100 in 1965. It was his first hit as a songwriter, and he would have several more in the late 60s, including "I Was Made To Love Her", "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day" and "My Cherie Amour".

Stevie Wonder's critical acclaim peaked in the 1970s, with albums such as "Talking Book", "Innervisions", "Fulfillingness's First Finale" and "Songs In The Key of Life", the latter three of which all won Album of the Year at the Grammys, tying him with only Frank Sinatra for the most AOTY wins. He got his first hit as a solo songwriter with "Superwoman" in 1972, and also solo-wrote most of his other popular 1970s songs. He got his first hit as a solo producer with "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours" in 1970, which was the start of Stevie taking a lead role as a producer. Unlike earlier Motown albums that were more like a collection of songs/singles, his 1970s albums had a deliberate narrative and cohesive artistic statement, ranging from social and political topics to romantics ones. He played much of the instruments on the albums, and experimented with keyboards and synthesizers, such as the Hohner Clavinet, which gives "Superstition" its distinctive sound. During this period, he also wrote several notable hits for other artists, such as "The Tears of a Clown" for The Miracles, "Until You Come Back To Me" for Aretha Franklin and "Tell Me Something Good" for Rufus. He had several more hits in the 80s, such as "Master Blaster (Jammin')", "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and "Part Time Lover". He's also had more recent hits as a songwriter thanks to samples, such as Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" which samples "Pastime Paradise", Usher's "Lil Freak" which samples "Living For The City", Ja Rule's "Thug Lovin" which samples "Knock Me Off My Feet" and Will Smith's "Wild Wild West" which samples "I Wish".

Most streamed Hot 100 hits on Spotify

453m - Gangsta's Paradise (Coolio feat. L.V.)

398m - Superstition (Stevie Wonder)

263m - Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours (Stevie Wonder)

149m - I Just Called To Say I Love You (Stevie Wonder)

146m - Sir Duke (Stevie Wonder)

Table of Points

lvJ3Qb3.jpg
MLhbD19.jpg
p5wvaCH.jpg
N5OlUhF.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz @idkwiam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ash12345

• Fitzswiftie

• JawBreaker

• Mr. Duff

THE Taylor Swift :clap3:

Is she the youngest to be in the top 10? OMG

7 minutes ago, BtDecember said:

THE Taylor Swift :clap3:

Is she the youngest to be in the top 10? OMG

Youngest in the top 50. The youngest songwriters on the list are

1. Ed Sheeran (Feb 17/1991)

2. Taylor Swift (Dec 13/1989)

3. Benny Blanco (Mar 8/1988)

4. Drake (Oct 24/1986)

5. Shellback (Feb 1/1985)

6 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

10. Taylor Swift

tumblr_mrwcu2Tvd11qln4e1o1_500.gif

The first signs that Taylor Swift might want to be a singer-songwriter could be seen as a small child, making up stories and singing Disney songs. Later, she won a national poetry contest, wrote a 300 page book of stories inspired by her experiences, was involved in a children's theater group and spent a lot of time performing at karaoke bars. After her demo tape of country covers got rejected by Nashville labels at age 11, she decided building on her interest in poetry and storytelling by learning to write songs would distinguish her from other young aspiring country singers. She eventually got a development deal at RCA records, which helped her convince her parents to move from Pennsylvania to Nashville. Then at age 14, she became the youngest artist signed to Sony/ATV Music Publishing, where the pressure to write one song per day for the company helped further sharpen her songwriting skills. After lack of progress from RCA on getting an album recorded, she decided not to renew her contract with them, and soon got record deal offers elsewhere, choosing to sign with yet-to-be-formed label, Big Machine Records.

She released her self-titled album in 2006, which experienced a modest debut, but gradually helped her build a loyal fanbase. That lead to increasing sales of her debut album, and for the rest of her albums to achieve some of the biggest opening sales weeks in recent music history. She is equally known for her melancholic love songs and catchy pop hits, and her personal narrative driven style of songwriting. Although she already experienced cross-over success with the singles from her debut album, that increased significantly with the success of Fearless and Red singles on pop radio, until she decided to commit fully to making pop music with her fifth album, 1989, which helped her reach new heights internationally. When it comes to collaborators, she likes working with a small team of trusted co-writers and producers, beginning with Liz Rose and Nathan Chapman who she began working with during her very early Sony/ATV days, and continuing with Max Martin and Shellback who helped her transition to pop, and Jack Antonoff who helped her experiment with more 80s-retro and indie pop leaning music. She's remained heavily involved in the writing over her songs throughout her career and even has the top selling album of all time solo-written by a female (Speak Now). She's been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association and Songwriters Hall of Fame, and is the only Millenial named on Rolling Stone's Top 100 Songwriters of All-Time. She's also written songs for other artists, including for some lesser known country singers at the start of her songwriting career, and for Kellie Pickler, Miley Cyrus, Little Big Town and Calvin Harris.

written by Dibbles and Ash12345

1029m - This Is What You Came For (Calvin Harris feat. Rihanna)

992m - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Zayn & Taylor Swift)

552m - Look What You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift)

437m - Blank Space (Taylor Swift)

432m - ME! (Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie)

Table of Points

ntyDFWF.jpg
f4NZPCk.jpg
pmifRvo.jpg
sUuBMBc.jpg

@Green @Revenge @Witch Privilege @trainsskyscrapers @Insanity @Fitzswiftie  @Juanny @JawBreaker @alfonso12 @Weed @Nip Tuck @Cherry123 @eli's_rhythm @1DES @princedonte @Alpha Male @Timber @jordanjm @SoulKiwi@Ohno @Mezik@DougAF @Chainsmoker@suburbannature @Erotic@mcohen@ChatshireCat@cuneytb @Arxane @1989 @Mr. Duff @ECNEICSNOC @BtDecember @pavi @Kylie Jenner @deGonzz @Jorq @Dibbles @Alexz @idkwiam

all those 100%s

5 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

9. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie on Amazon Music

Lionel Richie formed several R&B groups in the mid-60s as a student at Tuskegee University until settling with a group called the Commodores. They eventually built a following after being signed to Motown and supporting The Jackson 5 on their tours. They had several major hits in the mid to late 70s, such as "Sweet Love", "Brick House" and "Easy", and Lionel's first #1 hits as a songwriter, "Still" and "Three Times A Lady". Lionel Richie then began writing songs for other artists, such as "Lady" for Kenny Rogers, and began his solo career by writing and recording "Endless Love" with Diana Ross in 1981. He released his self-titled solo debut album in 1982, with several ballads in a similar style as his ballads with the Commodores, and became one of the most successful balladeers of his generation.

His solo career brought him four #1 hits, including "All Night Long", "Hello" and "Say You, Say Me". In 1985, he co-wrote the charity single "We Are The World" with Michael Jackson, and had it recorded by USA for Africa. The song raised tens of millions of dollars for a humanitarian fund focused on implementing various long term solutions to Africa's problems. He only had a few hits in the 90s and 00s as a recording artist, but still had several more recent hits as a songwriter thanks to covers and samples. "Easy" was sampled by Cam'ron's "Hey Ma", "Say Yeah" was sample by Tamia's "So Into You" and Fabolous' "So Into You", and "All Night Long" was sampled by Enrique Iglesias' "I Like It", Drake's "Blem" and Camila Cabello's "Liar". In 2016, he received the Johnny Mercer Award, the Songwriters Hall of Fame's highest honor.

287m - Liar (Camila Cabello)

243m - Easy (Commodores)

185m - Blem (Drake)

177m - All Night Long (Lionel Richie)
174m - Endless Love (Lionel Richie & Diana Ross)

Table of Points

g1zfkkf.jpg
FZI7HnO.jpg

Can you say legendary

:clap3:

9 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

10. Taylor Swift

thank you so much for your hard work!! i've been keeping up almost since you started!!

is there any way you could do Julia Michaels before this ends?

The work this must have taken some sweet time and patience, wow OP!!!

Ash12345Ash12345Ash12345

Edited by gotportugal

Taylor :jonny5: 

It would be cool to see the breakdown based on her albums, I wonder if Speak Now with all those 100% credits or 1989 and its big hits but split among 3/4 writers contributed the most points. 

May I post your article on other website? I'll make sure to cite the source.

butterflysupreme
1 hour ago, Mr. Venti said:

i hope mariah is top 5 or #1

Mariah wasn’t even top 50

1 hour ago, Lazuli said:

Taylor :jonny5: 

It would be cool to see the breakdown based on her albums, I wonder if Speak Now with all those 100% credits or 1989 and its big hits but split among 3/4 writers contributed the most points. 

Taylor Swift: 5659

Fearless: 9838

Speak Now: 7336

Red: 4762

1989: 6051

Lover: 3264

Other: 7268

59 minutes ago, kingslanding33 said:

May I post your article on other website? I'll make sure to cite the source.

sure

@Ash12345 thank you for this! This was hard work clearly but its really cool information as songwriters arent very well discussed here despite stans trying to hide behind the skill to tear other stars down so  thank you. 

7. John Lennon

a411b55d99f96e56ad32a334f01e827e.jpg

John Winston Ono Lennon, named after his grandfather and Winston Churchill, was born in Liverpool during a German air raid in World War II on October 9, 1940. Later in life, he would add “Ono” to his name to honor Yoko Ono. Although he was raised by his aunt most of his childhood, his mother, Julia, visited Lennon regularly. Julia would teach her son how to play the banjo and piano, and even bought him his first guitar. Sadly, an off-duty police officer hit Julia with a car and killed her in 1958, which devastated and traumatized Lennon. At the age of 15, Lennon formed a skiffle group, the Quarrymen. Named after Quarry Bank High School, the group was established by Lennon in September 1956 and evolved into the Beatles in 1960. They played in clubs in Liverpool and Hamburg, honing their skills as songwriters and performers, and had their first UK hit with "Love Me Do" in late 1962. Their music dominated the British charts the following year, and their success crossed the Atlantic in 1964, with ten hits reaching the Top 5 on the Hot 100 that year alone. They released increasingly experimental albums as the 60s progressed, while continuing to have several hit singles every year, turning them into the most successful musical act of all time.

In 1969, John Lennon started the Plastic Ono Band with Yoko Ono. After the Beatles disbanded in 1970, Lennon continued as a solo artist and as Ono's collaborator. In 1974, he released "Walls and Bridges", which includes "Whatever Gets You thru the Night", which featured Elton John on backing vocals and piano and was his first #1 hit on the Hot 100 as a solo artist. He also co-wrote "Fame", David Bowie's first US number one, and provided guitar and backing vocals for the January 1975 recording. In the same month, Elton John topped the charts with his cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", featuring Lennon on guitar and back-up vocals; Lennon is credited on the single under the moniker of "Dr. Winston O'Boogie". In 1975, Lennon disengaged from the music business to raise his infant son Sean but returned in 1980 with the Ono collaboration Double Fantasy. He was shot and killed in the archway of his Manhattan apartment building by a Beatles fan, Mark David Chapman, three weeks after the album's release. Lennon was never able to go on tour as a solo artist. One tour planned for 1972 was cancelled because of his ongoing immigration struggle, and he was murdered before he could embark on his planned 1981 tour.

written by Dibbles and Ash12345

351m - Imagine (John Lennon)

331m - Come Together (The Beatles)

310m - Let It Be (The Beatles)

303m - Hey Jude (The Beatles)

246m - Yesterday (The Beatles)

Table of Points

vaSIJ7d.jpg
ogOWPM5.jpg
pss4glt.jpg
G8wloEA.jpg
Xji72Kj.jpg
LWO25C1.jpg

1 hour ago, Ash12345 said:

Taylor Swift: 5659

Fearless: 9838

Speak Now: 7336

Red: 4762

1989: 6051

Other: 7268

oh wow thanks sis! 

fearless slaying :jonny5: 

TAYLOR IS THE ARTIST OF THE CENTURY PERIOD

THE YOUNGEST LEGEND (IN MUSIC) IN THE WORLD!

5 hours ago, Ash12345 said:

Oh wow, oh wow.

taylor the female beatles confirmed

Taylor :clap3:She’ll definitely go top five at least.

Lionel, Stevie and John Lennon :eek: :worship2:Definitely legends!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.