Choose The Album, Then a Song 9: And the winner is...

Pedro

2 minutes ago, Lazuli said:

PMs were working very strangely for me too. I did it all in Word and copied it over.

I tried to copy from Word as well but it still doesn't let me insert paragraphs.  It joins everything together.

I have found a way though.  

I cannot insert paragraphs in a new message, but I can in an existing conversation.  So I'm sending Pedro my outfit first, then I'll format my rates in the same conversation and send.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pedro

• shelven

• MusicLoverDude

• lhdang2000

3 minutes ago, Vulnicura said:

This happens for me as well. I had to use another app and copy + paste the message across.

I hope that it's a known issue and it will be fixed because it's such a struggle. :skull:

I had to copy and paste my entry from Word as well and the formatting STILL messed up (hence why the last three words of my essay are below the picture :rip:)

Save

Sia

britney 

OFF

Samantha Jade - "Nine"    (it is good but next to the rest its a bit weak, its better then mine still haha)

Melanie Martinez - "Cry Baby"  (you did not add much at all, I feel you lacked explaining it, but good song choice)

Vulnicura: Robyn - "Body Talk (its good just weak next to the others, like I said with MLD still better then mine haha)

Same I quit the competition actually cause my PM was so botched, and even for my critiques it made it all weird and unformatted. I can't use the enter button or do anything in PM and even when I C&P it makes it all weird. They better fix it before Season 10, cause I kinda wanted to play but I knew it'd be a struggle for me with this weird PM system.

Formating threads and PMs are a headache indeed. Thanks for your extra patience guys. Either way, update is coming tonight!

Only missing @Tymps. votes but that's it! As you know, when you don't vote, you're deducted points.

Edited by Pedro

Results are coming tonight! Two things that never happened before in any other season will happen tonight!

50 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Results are coming tonight! Two things that never happened before in any other season will happen tonight!

:eek::duca: 

I am ready for the update. The results will appear shortly!

Right on my lunch break :jonny:

CTATAS.png

ATRL's original game "Choose The Album, Then a Song" is back for its anticipated ninth season on its original concept.

The time has come for the very first results show. Due to ATRL's servers inconsistency, we had to postpone this event continuously but I believe that we now have all the conditions to move forward. As you know, the results will be divided into two parts: the public vote and the judges votes. Each of those factors account for 50% of your final results. More details will be revealed throughout this post.

As for now, I'd like you to give a big round of applauses to our judging panel who are now about to take their seats!

judges.png

judgesr1.png

Pedro                    Lazuli                      Kavish                   Girlicious

Looking good, girls! Now that you've taken your position, let's review the voting rules along with the respective updates, shall we?

rules.png

1. The voting process is dived into two parts: the public vote and the judges votes;

Each of these parts account for 50% of the results.

2. Each contestant that didn't cast a vote will be deducted 30% of his/her final result;

The 30% discount can be translated into less 5 points.

3. The judges have rated each entry from 1 to 10;

All of the judges votes are then summed and we get to an average.

4. Your results are cumulative from the points you receive eachround;

5. During the voting process there may be ties. Find below the rules to break them:

5.1. If there is a tie wiithin the public vote, the entry with the best result within the judges votes gets ahead;

5.2. If there is a tie within the judges votes, the entry with the best result within the public vote gets ahead;

5.3. If there is a tie within the final results, the entry with the best result within the judges vote gets ahead.

6. The points distribution have changed in order to decrease expected events.

1st Place: 17 Points | 2nd Place: 15 Points | 3rd Place: 13 Points | 4th Place: 12 Points | (...) 15th Place: 1 Point.

round1.png

shape1.png

Spoiler

The first round is clearly inspired by one of the songs of the moment: Ed Sheeran's "Shape Of You". As usual, the first round is supposed to work as an introduction to what you have to deliver. Even though, Sheeran is in love with the shape of many girls, I assume you are in love with the shape of your album. With this being said, during this first round, you are supposed to send in the song that best shapes your chosen album. Justify yoir choice in no more than 200 words and make sure you correlate your song to the entire album so you can let us know why that song is so fundamental to it.

https://s19.postimg.org/iaqdnkf7n/publicvote.png

https://s19.postimg.org/oe7y7h5hf/publicv1.png

https://s19.postimg.org/430oyx2ir/judgevotes.png

https://s19.postimg.org/mnox5znyb/votesj1.png

https://s19.postimg.org/pa4fmxf5v/final.png

1. lhdang2000: Adele - "25": 28 Points.

2. sumthintoxic82: Kelly Clarkson - "Piece By Piece": 28 Points.

3. shelven: Sia - "This Is Acting": 28 Points.

4. Vulnicura: Robyn - "Body Talk": 27 Points.

5. Rihlana: Halsey - "Badlands": 24 Points.

6. Lion: Troye Sivan - "Blue Neighbourhood": 17 Points.

7. Speezy: The Weeknd - "Starboy": 16 Points.
8. Verge of Obscene: Britney Spears - "Glory": 14 Points.

9. Tymps.: Lemon Demon - "Spirit Phone": 13 Points (-5 pts for not voting)

10. theycallmemaraj: Ariana Grande - "Dangerous Woman": 12 Points.

11. ReachOut: Hilary Duff - "Breathe In. Breathe Out.": 11 Points.
12. MusicLoverDude: Samantha Jade - "Nine": 10 Points.
13. M A R N ✮: Asking Alexandria - "The Black": 6 Points.

14. Alena: Melanie Martinez - "Cry Baby": 5 Points.

https://s19.postimg.org/7gdizdlhf/elimination.png

As one can see, we obviously have a contestant with less points than the remaining ones which means that... In previous seasons that contestant would be eliminated but not today. No one is going to be eliminated during this very first round. Not only because we have a lot of new faces that are still getting to know the game better and now have the opportunity of stepping up their games during the second round but also due to the fact we had two contestants quitting during the first round's submission period.

Since this is the night of surprises... As I've said, no one is getting eliminated tonight, we will be doing the complete opposite with someone else joining the competition a round after... @Queen Conchita will be the 15th element of this game and will please us with the amazing album "Conchita" by Conchita Wurst. Queen Conchita will be immune next round but will be submitting as well.

Stay tuned because the second round will be published soon!

rates.png

Find below the judges' comments to each entry.

Spoiler

PEDRO

1. shelven: Sia - "This Is Acting": 'Bird Set Free'

Welcome back, Shelven! I missed your essays and your way with words. Personally, when I first heard "This Is Acting", I took some time to get into "Bird Set Free" because - just like you said - it kind of contrasts everything else that this album presents and that's exactly where I want to get to. Even though, I do understand and applaud the perspective you showed here, I am unsure if it truly reflects what "This Is Acting" is about as "Bird Set Free" is an exception in the myriad of songs presented.

2. Verge of Obscene: Britney Spears - "Glory": 'Private Show'

It feels great to have Britney back in the challenge. At first I thought the only accurate choice for this challenge would be "Invitation" but after reading your essay - still think you could've gone deeper - you convinced me. "Private Show" does fit the mood of the album and serves as a great summary of it due to its sexual yet mature content. As I've stated, I wish you would have gone deeper but the fact that you convinced me makes me believe you got it right.

3. MusicLoverDude: Samantha Jade - "Nine": 'Let The Good Times Roll'

While I feel like your essays are becoming better and better through each season as there's cohesiveness and a nice group of words, I am afraid to say it lacked content. It had a lot of storyline that touched me emotionally and makes me think she deserves success. Either way, you barely spoke about your song or related it to your album.

4. Alena: Melanie Martinez - "Cry Baby": 'Cry Baby'

I have to be honest. This song is such a slayage - I had never heard anything from Melanie Martinez. With this being said, it pains me to see such a weak essay. Needless to say I hope you work on that in the future!

5. Rihlana: Halsey - "Badlands": 'Castle'

Good job, Rihlana! Being the first time you play the game, I have to admit I wasn't expecting such a great work but you pulled it off. I really enjoyed how you balanced your song with your album. The way you related specific topics of the song to general topics of the album made your essay very cohesive and well explained. I’d like to add that everything you said about the song became even more clear after listening to it!

6. theycallmemaraj: Ariana Grande - "Dangerous Woman": 'I Don't Care'

It is your first time so I won't be too demanding. Take this as an advice for your future interactions... I believe your essay came off as a bit immature and also in a way where you went around the same idea countless times. I do understand - and appreciate - the route taken to explain your choice and how you were able to relate it to the record but I also believe you could've gone the extra mile instead of sounding "inspirational" to the audience.

7. sumthintoxic82: Kelly Clarkson - "Piece By Piece": 'Let Your Tears Fall'

I love how passionate you are about Kelly Clarkson and I am so excited that you're playing with an album of hers because it sounds genuine. Your essay was flawless and the way you related the song to your album was also done in a very unique way - you even were able to relate the song title to it! I have to admit I don't see "Piece By Piece" as an amazing work, it may be her weakest but I am excited to hear what you can pull with it.

8. ReachOut: Hilary Duff - "Breathe In. Breathe Out.": 'Breathe In. Breathe Out.'

Just like theycallmemaraj - if you want to read my feedback to him - I believe your essay lacked maturity in terms of words. I believe you could have tackled a little bit more on the explanation and given more examples - p.e. quotes of the song or from Hilary herself to justify it. I wanted more input other than a brief explanation of what the song/album means. Either way, take this as an advice as you'll have the chance of improving as I am a big fan of this record.

9. M A R N ✮: Asking Alexandria - "The Black": 'The Black'

I feel like you took a very personal approach to justify your choices and while I appreciate everything you wrote, I also feel this wasn't what was required. Nonetheless, you also took your time to give us a little taste of what "The Black" is. Just like I've said to a few competitors, take this as an advise and try to improve the cohesiveness of your essay as it was a little bit all over the place. This is your first time so don't worry, keep up the good work!

10. Vulnicura: Robyn - "Body Talk": 'Indestructible'

That was a very nice and passionate approach. I really did appreciate the little read and completely enjoyed how you related both parts - the song and the album. It makes me really excited for the future rounds so I can listen to it with you. You also demonstrated a lot of cohesiveness which makes it interesting and captivating.

11. Lion: Troye Sivan - "Blue Neighbourhood": 'WILD'

While I wasn't fully impressed, I was impressed as this is your "first time". You kept it "cute and simple" and I have to admit that I loved the song so I wanted a more elaborated essay. Either way, this is not a big critique as I did enjoy the reading and the song.

12. Tymps.: Lemon Demon - "Spirit Phone": 'Cabinet Man'

I believe that you could've created a better essay overall because your choice of words was very nice and overall your album sounds very interesting and original. Throughout this essay, you were very simple and you barely related the song to the album. It just lacked overall but I am looking forward more and better.

13. Speezy: The Weeknd - "Starboy": 'Secrets'

Just like some of your colleagues, I believe you played it a little safe and I am afraid to say I wanted something riskier as the approach you took was very subtle and didn't make an impact. Nonetheless, thanks for respecting the challenge and I am looking forward more from you!

14. lhdang2000: Adele - "25": 'Hello'

I wasn't expecting you to comeback like that! On your previous Choose The Album, Then a Song experiences, I believe there was lack of maturity but you're now showing growth as well and "25" may be the best choice for you. I am genuinely impressed and I think you've completely nailed this challenge.

Spoiler

LAZULI

1. shelven: Sia - "This Is Acting": 'Bird Set Free' – 9/10

It can get quite confusing, because “This Is Acting” seems like it’s just about her singing songs that were meant for other people, but this song talks about her being free and being herself. But I can sort of see where you’re coming from, at least you have the last line to try and tie up the loose ends.

2. Verge of Obscene: Britney Spears - "Glory": 'Private Show' – 6/10

It’s good that you linked how “Glory” brings out Brit’s sexual prowess and why “Private Show” fits that, but it needs more elaboration. (go into its lyrics, production, how it compares to the rest of the album etc.)

3. MusicLoverDude: Samantha Jade - "Nine": 'Let The Good Times Roll' – 7.5/10

While it’s good that you explained the background of the album clearly, it kind of overshadowed what is supposed to be the meat of the essay: dissecting the song to show its relation to the album. Still, the song’s and album’s theme make this a good choice.

4. Alena: Melanie Martinez - "Cry Baby": 'Cry Baby' – 4/10

I guess the song choice is appropriate. But remember to write a proper essay next time!

5. Rihlana: Halsey - "Badlands": 'Castle' – 9/10

You linked the parts of the song to the album clearly. The analogy of the gates and metropolis works very well.

6. theycallmemaraj: Ariana Grande - "Dangerous Woman": 'I Don't Care' – 6/10

Please don’t waste your word count on sentences like the last one. :skull: The only part of the essay that mattered here was when you explained how the song, and somehow the album, have the same general theme of shaking the haters off. That’s a good point, but it needs more convincing for an album titled “Dangerous Woman”. (You mentioned about being a threat, but there was barely a link to the song.) Bring in other points too to substantiate it.

7. sumthintoxic82: Kelly Clarkson - "Piece By Piece": 'Let Your Tears Fall' – 9/10

Love that you explained the background of the album/her life and expounded the song’s details as much as possible. Those details and points can be a little more organised, such that you can make the link to how it shapes the album more clearly.

8. ReachOut: Hilary Duff - "Breathe In. Breathe Out.": 'Breathe In. Breathe Out.' – 7.5/10

You’ve got the idea right for the second paragraph, but you need to elaborate on it more. The first paragraph describing the song/album’s sound is kind of weak, however.

9. M A R N ✮: Asking Alexandria - "The Black": 'The Black' – 5/10

You try to make a couple of worthy points in your essay, but overall it was pretty messy and hard to read. Organise your points and explain them next time!

10. Vulnicura: Robyn - "Body Talk": 'Indestructible' – 10/10

Flawlessly written. You should try and talk about more than just the lyrics and meaning of the song/album though.

11. Lion: Troye Sivan - "Blue Neighbourhood": 'WILD' – 6/10

Your links between the song and album are too casual (just saying the style of the song and album are indie pop, and that because Troye is very involved in the creative process hence everything is cohesive.) The theme, style and mood are good points to revolve your essay around, but you should explain them more.

12. Tymps.: Lemon Demon - "Spirit Phone": 'Cabinet Man' – 10/10

This is pretty interesting. :dies: You should explain how the album links to this “nerd fantasy” he paints in the song, and perhaps explain a bit more about the humour and topics covered in the album, and why it’s best represented in this song. But still, very interesting approach and I love it.

13. Speezy: The Weeknd - "Starboy": 'Secrets' – 8/10

Ok, I can see how you’re trying to make the essay revolve around how “Secrets” has a bit of the sound of a couple of other songs on the album, but I find that a very moderate point. “Starboy” is such a long album, so it can be quite unconvincing to say that one song sounds like most of the other tracks on the album. You should definitely try to think of more points other than the sound of the song/album.

14. lhdang2000: Adele - "25": 'Hello' – 9/10

I like the point about maturity that links “Hello” and “25”, though the explanation about her fans feels kinda sketchy. You should also expand on the first point about failed relationships too.

Spoiler

KAVISH

9.7 | shelven: Sia - "This Is Acting": 'Bird Set Free'

"Bird Set Free" seems to be the perfect choice to represent "This Is Acting" since the album is about taking on various sides while being unafraid, and you made that point clear in your essay. You wrote about every aspect of the song and how it correlates to the album, and at the same time gave an insight into Sia's world. Your essay reads easily and you managed to extend your points closer to the word limit without going off-board nor giving too much.

9.5 |  sumthintoxic82: Kelly Clarkson - "Piece By Piece": 'Let Your Tears Fall'

I like how your essay shows two different sides of the song and the album. You explained the song's bright side and how this inspiration runs through "Piece by Piece", and you beautifully penned that with the song's dark side, 'Kelly really lets her own tears fall on this album.' You did not only write about the song's connection to the album, but also gave us little descriptions of what the album has to offer, and in the process you gave us a glimpse into Kelly's life.

9.0 |  Vulnicura: Robyn - "Body Talk": 'Indestructible'

The theme of "Indestructible" is elegantly explained, and through your essay we understand the concept of "Body Talk." The only thing missing is a mention of how the song's sound manifests onto or connect to the album. Still, your essay was nicely structured and holds strong points.

8.3 |  lhdang2000: Adele - "25": 'Hello'

You nicely explained how "Hello" is a transition track for Adele, and how "25" follows suit in that maturity. I think that you could have slipped a line or two about the sound of the song, especially when it's a soulful and honest ballad, and such tones can be heard over the album. I like how you built a cohesive story around this explanation, all while showing how the track reflects on the album, and by doing so you give us an update of where Adele is currently standing in her life.

8.0 |  Rihlana: Halsey - "Badlands": 'Castle'

You described "Castle" really well and also highlighted the fact that its characteristics are reflected on "Badlands." Despite having a glimpse of what the album has to offer through your song description and how it matches the album's lyrical themes or atmosphere, I wish that you could have written a little about the album itself as opposed to just writing that the album is similar to the track. For example, a little depth about the 'uncomfortable and untouched themes' or why it is an 'angry' record would have made me understand the approach of the album a bit more. Still, through your beautifully written essay, you convincingly showed how "Badlands" is a concept album.

7.7 |  Lion: Troye Sivan - "Blue Neighbourhood": 'WILD'

You nicely wrote about the theme and the sound of the song and how it reflects on the whole album. I like how you used the quotations, and also used examples. Despite doing what was expected, your entry felt a bit simple. Try to be more in-depth instead of cutting to the point and this will strengthen the substance of your essay.

7.6 | Tymps.: Lemon Demon - "Spirit Phone": 'Cabinet Man'

Your essay was enjoyable and you were on point. You gave a nice introduction of your artist, explained the sound and the themes of the album and how "Cabinet Man" serves as a teaser. The only reason why I'm not giving you a green score is because your essay was too short. I think that you could have expanded on your points and still be relevant to the topic, and you would have been higher. If I place you higher now, then it is not fair to those who wrote a big block of text and still managed to get a high score.

7.5 |  ReachOut: Hilary Duff - "Breathe In. Breathe Out.": 'Breathe In. Breathe Out.'

Your essay was on point and you did what was asked in the challenge. You wrote about the song's characteristics and how it represents the album. The only reason why I'm not giving you a green score is because your essay was too short and abrupt. I think that you could have elaborated on your points and still be relevant to the topic, and you would have been higher. If I place you higher now, then it is not fair to those who wrote a big block of text and still managed to get a high score.

6.9 |   MusicLoverDude: Samantha Jade - "Nine": 'Let The Good Times Roll'

You made it clear why you chose "Let the Good Times Roll" to represent "Nine" - after so many years of being low, she wants to focus on the silver linings. Despite knowing the theme of the song, you did not really dissect the song itself. Instead, you dedicated the first half of your essay to go too much into her story and then stating that's why you chose the song. Also, the focus of your essay and the connection between the song and the album seems to be too much about the positive vibes, when I think that you could have touched other aspects as well if the 'story' part was downsized.

6.5 |  theycallmemaraj: Ariana Grande - "Dangerous Woman": 'I Don't Care'

The song's meaning was nicely put across, but it was the focus of your essay and you faintly showed how it represents the album because of how vague the connection was. Since you focused on one point, your essay felt pretty lacking. You wrote that 'the song, along with the album, is full of harmonies and pure vocal heaven.' but that is not something specifically 'I Don't Care'-related. You could have expanded on this song's harmony to show how it reflects on the album instead and it would have made a better case.

5.5 | Speezy: The Weeknd - "Starboy": 'Secrets'

The focus of your essay is about the sound of the album, which would have been a nice case if you did it differently. Most albums have a mix of slow or fast and soft or heavy sound, so to say that "Secrets" represents "Starboy" because the album has the same pace as heard on the track is a pretty weak argument. The only time you got it right was the statement that the album has the same 80s element of the song, which is something specific instead of something vague like the tempo of the song.

5.0 | M A R N ✮: Asking Alexandria - "The Black": 'The Black'

The first half of your essay tackled the challenge at hand, but the second paragraph turned into how you relate to the song – which is not what this challenge is about. You rightly described how dark the song is and how it is reflected onto the painful backstory of the album, but unfortunately it is the only relevant part of the essay.

3.8 |  Verge of Obscene: Britney Spears - "Glory": 'Private Show'

You got the point across that "Glory" is an intimate record, but despite associating it to "Private Show" to showcase the sexual theme, I don't see how the song is more "Glory"-defining that the other sexual songs like "Clumsy." I think you could have explained how "Private Show" stands out, but instead you ended your essay on a rather negative tone that the song is not very good quality-wise. Which makes me wonder why you would introduce the album with a low-quality song when you could have picked another song and make a better argument for your essay.

1.0 |  Alena: Melanie Martinez - "Cry Baby": 'Cry Baby'

You should have got a clue about the size of your essay when the word limit was 200. Even with those two lines, you did not really explain how the song represents the album and they were very obvious statements with no information. Everyone chose their songs because it describes the theme or the feel of the album. You did not mention what the theme or the feel is, so it's just a vague statement. The assignment was to explain how your song shapes your album, and your statement is a 'yes' instead of an explanation.

Spoiler

GIRLICIOUS

shelven - Sia - This Is Acting - 8/10

I think your essay was very well-written. I can see where you’re getting at about Sia acting as these different characters and how it still relates all back to her. I didn’t really see how Bird Set Free shows the shaping of this album or understand the connection, but I guess it would be hard to choose any of the songs considering the album is a large melting pot of different things. I also think Bird Set Free is kind of a bland example of it as it’s maybe one of the least inspiring songs off the record but still a well-done submission.

Verge of Obscene - Britney Spears - Private Show - 2/10

I don’t really see how Private Show shapes the album at all. I think Glory is actually a very smoother, chill, inspired album than most of her previous. Private Show on the other hand goes very against all of that. I also didn’t like your closing sentence regarding how it’s one of the most disliked songs, as if anything that goes against your argument considering you’re writing an essay on how it’s a song that embodies the sexy prowess that we all know and love… but then end it off with how you hate this song and so does everyone else. I thought it was a poor essay and poor song choice.

MusicLoverDude - Samantha Jade - Let The Good Times Roll - 5/10

Firstly, that font needs to go. Secondly, I liked the start of your essay how you were recapping the events that happened to her since you did pick a risky artist and album from the get-go. But I wanted more than just that as that’s almost 75% of your entire essay. You gave us a Wikipedia page, not a reason why you chose this song. You explained how this is a fun and uplifting song but what does that really have to do with all that you previously listed? Is it because she had a hard past few years? I shouldn’t have to guess, that connection should be established in your essay. I do want to applaud you on giving other examples of songs that work with this song considering I haven’t heard the entire album, so that really helps us dissect your album and make that connection that it fits. But in conclusion, I think if you made stronger connections and extended this essay it could’ve been a lot stronger.

Alena - Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby - 1/10

This is really a poor excuse of an “essay”. If you didn’t care about this competition or not have the time I’m sure it would’ve been more effective to had just not submitted.

Rihlana - Halsey - Castle - 8/10 

Castle, initially wouldn’t be my first choice for this album but you proved me wrong. I think the essay was very fleshed out and well-written. I agree with you that sonically the album really does show the emotion of the album and the overall feel to it. I think Badlands illustrates us a very fantasy and dystopian look and yes Castle certainly does that. I think what really put the icing on the cake with this submission is your line about how it’s the gates of the album, and I completely agree. I never really liked Castle as the opener but you’ve really given me a second sight to it and thank you for that.

theycallmemaraj - Ariana Grande - I Don’t Care - 2/10

This is a very risky choice for starters and honestly one of the last songs off the record I would choose. I don’t understand your choice at all considering most of Dangerous Woman is very upbeat, sexy, unapologetic; while I Don’t Care is none of those things. Also, I think you read the challenge wrong because this is about the song that shapes the album, not the song that shapes you. I don’t think you gave enough evidence on how this song shapes the album at all. If I had to give one piece of positive feedback, I do agree that it’s a vocally-driven song and Dangerous Woman is certainly her most vocally-driven album. I also want to add that your last sentence on how you feel you performed badly shows lack of confidence and that’s something that just makes your essay look even worse. Even when in doubt, don’t verify to the reader that you did a bad job.

sumthintoxic82 - Kelly Clarkson - Let Your Tears Fall - 7/10

I think this was a good first submission. But, I don’t like that you didn’t take a risk at all with this entry. In fact I think it was the safest entry of the bunch. I understand your thought process. Okay, it’s a happy song, she’s in a happy place in her life, the first song she wrote so it shaped the rest of the album. Sure, you’re correct. But that’s a very basic and bland answer to give us. I do want to applaud though that the way you wrote it was phenomenal and well-done. I like that you gave us a recap on what Kelly has been doing as evidence to your choice. I just hope later in the competition you will step out of the comfort zone, as the predictable is fine for the beginning rounds but later in the competition this will not cut it.

ReachOut - Hilary Duff - Breathe In, Breathe Out - 2/10

This essay is far too short and not going to cut it. Sorry. Breathe In, Breathe Out is an album that you could’ve executed perfectly in this round and had so many options but you really blew it. Your argument really is that since it’s the title track it embodies the entire album, but I think otherwise actually. I really got the impression you didn’t care and just wrote what first came to your mind and left it at that. There was no proof or evidence behind your thesis and I’m very disappointed as I love this album.

MARN - Asking Alexandria - The Black - 4/10

This essay was off to a good start. You gave me a lot of connections that it lyrically and sonically embodies the album. My problem was the second half of the essay I think you were confused on what the task was. This was about how the song embodies the album. I love to see people making personal connections, but that wasn’t what we were asking for. A large margin of your essay was regarding on how it connects to you. I think this was very therapeutic for you, but in the future I would like you to read what Pedro is asking for you in depth before creating your thesis.

Vulnicura - Robyn - Indestructible - 9/10

Your essay was really well-written and that’s what I like to see. You really made it one that I wanted to read as it was well formatted and not all over the place. I really liked that you used lyrical proof to back-up your points. In particular I loved your piece of evidence on how she used the two satellites personification. I may be digging deep into this but I think mentioning that was really strong considering Robyn is a very visual lyricist.  I would agree that sonically the song matches the rest of the record. This is for sure the strongest entry of them all.

Lion - Troye Sivan - Wild - 5/10

I liked that you had a thesis, that’s something that a lot of these essays did lack. You gave us what shaped the album which was unrequited love. But you didn’t really give enough evidence. I liked that you mentioned two other songs that had that topic, but that wasn’t enough really. I think your essay was formatted really weird. It was far too short. I think you had a great idea, just the execution wasn’t performed very well and I hope you do better in the future rounds as I think you have the potential, we just didn’t get to see it here.

Tymps. - Lemon Demon - Cabinet Man - 7/10

I liked this essay but it was missing something that I can’t quite put my finger on. You gave us a background of your artist which I liked and what they were all about. I just felt you were missing more substance to your essay. I really enjoyed your connection that all of the songs are lyrically and sonically similar and that Cabinet Man embodies all of the themes into one song.

Speezy - The Weeknd - Secrets 7/10

I think you had a really easy album to do and you didn’t really execute it to the fullest. While Secrets isn’t my first choice for this album, you did provide a good idea behind your essay. Starboy, I agree is a very r&b driven song that can range from high to low tempo. Secrets is a perfect inbetween. I think a few of the sentences in your essay were filler and unneeded. Overall, I liked your idea, it just needed a bit more.

Ihdang2000 - Adele - Hello - 9/10

I really loved this essay because you made gorgeous connections. I completely agree that Hello has more than one meaning and I think that’s something that goes with a lot of the songs. It was Adele’s big return and it made a big statement for the rest of the album. The overall theme of a break-up and moving on is something that is very prominent in all of 25 while also in Hello. A piece of proof I exceptionally liked was when you mentioned that it can be hard to say anything to your ex, even something so simple as hello. I thought that was really powerful and mastered your essay to that next level. I think you wrote the essay really amazingly and I liked everything about it.

Edited by Pedro

OMG!!! First time I reached #1 :duca: .

Thanks so much, I'll try my best this season. :duca: 

Edited by lhdang2000

• ATRL Moderator

I feel like I'm just not getting this game. What I thought was decent turned out to be Bottom 3 worthy from the judges. I don't really feel like I should be in this game.

4 minutes ago, Verge of Obscene said:

I feel like I'm just not getting this game. What I thought was decent turned out to be Bottom 3 worthy from the judges. I don't really feel like I should be in this game.

This is why there wasn't eliminations this round and why we have elaborated critiques. Not only you have all the great feedback on what you should improve by the judges but you have one more shot at bringing better results. You ranked 8th, it isn't that bad at all.

It’s good that you linked how “Glory” brings out Brit’s sexual prowess and why “Private Show” fits that, but it needs more elaboration. (go into its lyrics, production, how it compares to the rest of the album etc.)

I think you could have explained how "Private Show" stands out, but instead you ended your essay on a rather negative tone that the song is not very good quality-wise.

Edited by Pedro

1 hour ago, lhdang2000 said:

OMG!!! First time I reached #1 :duca: .

Thanks so much, I'll try my best this season. :duca: 

Well deserved :clap3: 

1 hour ago, Vulnicura said:

Thanks judges! I'm ready to massacre this season with Body Talk. I also like the non elimination. :clap3:

:clap3: 

OT: Thank you judges for your feedback! It was very helpful :heart2: 

(Shout out to Pedro for that 10 though :fan: ) 

Thanks everyone who voted for me in the public vote :heart2: And thank you for the comments, judges! I realize that I was kind of taking a risk in the way I chose to approach the album (and therefore my song choice might have seemed strange initially), but I thought I'd start off the game by trying to show off a different interpretation of the album than most people typically have.

Also, I like the decision to make each round be worth less points - it keeps the competition more up in the air instead of a dominant group being established early on. That three way tie at #1 :jonny: 

Edited by shelven

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.