MusicTalk That Talk HUGE UPDATE: 80-1 coming TONIGHT

Just a Gay on ATRL

Spoiler

100 Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me

I am loving the new, mature, and subdued sound Demi has been serving this era. She's had a really great year all around and this is just the first of several appearances for her on my countdown.  R&B is the perfect genre for her voice and the climatic chorus is an earworm. I have a feeling this will flop because the public lacks taste, but the fans will continue praising this anyway, as will I!

99 Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line - Meant to Be

When I first heard about this collab, I was like WTF and dreaded it. But it is actually quite a pleasant tune and doesn't have that awful forced FGL twang that makes me hate so many of their songs. It's much more of a pop song than a country song. This song could've featured any male country singer and I'd have been fine because Bebe is the one with the vocals that I really like. The harmonies in the second chorus onward really worked as a final sell to get me to like this. She sounds pretty. Congrats on your hit gurl, you've been trying for it.

98 Machine Gun Kelly, X Ambassadors & Bebe Rexha - Home

Bebe already makes her 2nd appearance (and last, mess) in this by-the-numbers-but-still-good rap pop tune for a flop Will Smith movie that looks awful but had some decent music. This assembly of artists is pretty random, but this type of song is very on trend and that's not always a bad thing. I listen to this on my commute or while working out and it flows well. Not much else to say... it's basic but worth checking out. You know what you're getting.

97 NF - Let You Down

When I heard this guy was a white, Christian rapper I was like oh lord (pun intended), this song's gonna be a cringey mess, but I was pleasantly surprised and it appears to be climbing the charts. It has a very fitting vibe for the Fall/Winter and it's lyrically one of the better rap songs of 2017, in terms of subject matter/meaningful lyics.  Very #relatable. I wouldn't mind this getting a lot of airplay.

96 Lauv - Paris In the Rain

This guy is pretty cute and in quiet/shy guy kinda way for one, plus he's dropped multiple good to great songs this year (and co-written and/or featured on other great ones, hint hint). This is the lowest of them but it still deserved a mention.  It is by far one of the slowest, most "sparse" songs on my countdown, meaning there's not a lot to it. But it's a perfect song for background music or when you're walking in the rain or the snow. It's one of those songs that calms me down and reminds me to stay in balance. Lauv is a good artist to check out.

Spoiler

95 KATO & Sigala - Show You Love (feat. Hailee Steinfeld)

Identity-less chanteuse Hailee comes through with an EDM bop that any other pop girl could've sang, but it still goes off. This year, my playlists showed a lot of love to random DJs, and I really tried to give new artists and producers a chance. This song reminds me of the type of EDM I was really whoring out from 2014-15, a la Gorgon City variety.  This song has a bit of fast burnout rate, so beware, but I am still fairly new to it, so maybe it'll last longer on me than I am thinking. Anyway, it's worth a low placement on my Top 100.

94 Daya - New

An uber trendy. made for Spotify TTH payola lead single from up and comer Daya. However, that being said, this is the type of song she needs to serve at this point in her career. I am confused at why it's flopping so much, but like Hailee, Daya has identity issues and just isn't interesting. Still, she sounds very good and this is good if you don't put too much clout/artistic thought into it. Honestly, I didn't like her debut, so this is my favorite Daya song to date... not enough to make me anywhere near a stan, though. She's young, so she has a lot of room to grow as an artist.

93 Flosstradamus - How You Gon Do That (feat. Cara Salimando)

I don't really know who either of the people on this song are, but I like it after it was shared with me by a friend via text. They got my taste down, so thanks friend! I can't think of much to say on this one so I have no context for either artist, but it's a good song for the club or when you're in "**** men, they suck" kinda mood. You don't need no man, bitch, you just need headphones!

92 Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso - Let Me Go (feat. Florida Georgia Line & watt)

Not gonna lie, writing descriptions about Hailee songs is like describing what color beige paint is. As you can see, this 5 song update is heavy on Spotify pop fan service music. Lots of DJs and girls that sing for DJs music. I could've done without Florida Georgia Line here, but there verse is pretty inoffensive. I'm wondering if FGL is planning to go more pop soon with all these pop collaborations, or if they're just looking for some extra pop coins inbetween eras. Anyway, the breakdown is what makes this song and I really like it. 

91 Halsey - Bad at Love

Congrats on your first Top 10 as a lead today, Halsey! This is SO much better than Needed Me Now or Never, and I really relate to the lyrics. We all know my history with Halsey and my ironic stanning of her, but I was actually a fan of her new album and she has become a lot more tolerable. She knows how to serve a good song, and she has definitely improved a lot over her cringey debut era. I'm glad this song is taking off and it's well deserved. I'm excited to see what's to come for H3. 

Spoiler

90 Ty Dolla $ign & Lauren Jauregui - In Your Phone

Let's be real - you don't go to Ty's music for anything else but to bop, and this beat goes off. Lauren has the best voice of anyone in 5H, so her addition is perfect and also makes sense given that I think her and Ty are actually dating. This is very catchy and I would not mind it being a hit in early 2018. It's on trend so I wouldn't be shocked, and Lauren deserves her breakout hit already.

'

89 SZA & Calvin Harris - The Weekend (Funk Wav Remix)

So this spot was initially taken by the original version of the song, but I like the remix so much that I immediately replaced it with that. My one criticism of the song was gonna be that it was a bit too slow and didn't have any "bounce", but the remix is EXACTLY what I wanted. SZA is AMAZING and delivered album of the year, so if she got a pop hit out of this, I'll be ecstatic. The lyrics to this are relatable af. She sounds incredible. She gets a lot more love on this countdown later. SZA swooped in in a year lacking strong female albums (Lorde and Kesha aside, who delivered great albums too) and snatched.

88 David Guetta - Dirty Sexy Money (feat. Charli XCX & French Montana)

A stripper jam. Charli XCX was giving the gays everything they want this year and I lived for it. The chorus and breakdown for this one HIT and I want to hear this one in the club very badly. French is whatever, he's featured on every damn song now. Charli's parts make me forget he's even on there. This is an AMAZING workout song. Sucks it probably won't be any kind of hit in the US, but I'll keep it a good secret for my playlists and continue listening.

87 Logic - 1-800-273-8255 (feat. Alessia Cara & Khalid)

I'm glad this smashed and started a public conversation about mental health, which is severely overlooked and taboo in mainstream culture. So I'm very proud of this song for being a Top 3 hit and doing what it's done. The VMA's performance was powerful. It took a while for this song to grow on me, but once I saw the performance, I really turned around and GOT IT. Also, the video is really cool. Alessia's verse is quite good and she was a nice addition to the song - I wish she'd sung some on the chorus though. Overall, I'm glad this song exists and as someone who struggled through some bad bouts of depression, I think a song like this is necessary.

86 David Guetta - 2U (feat. Justin Bieber)

The thought of how uninspired Bieber probably was when he got into the studio to record this with David is hilarious to me, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't bop to this for a good chunk of the year. I was shocked HOW badly it flopped. I must admit I almost always like Bieber's music from 2015 onwards and he's truly a perfect voice for pop music. This song is very by the numbers for Bieber's EDM/pop kinda sound but it's a harmless, fun edition. Guetta ain't ever gonna serve you innovation. And for those concerned, this is it for Guetta on my countdown lol.

85 Camila Cabello - Havana (feat. Young Thug)

I am still not fully on board the Camila train and I'm not sure if I ever will be, but I can at least acknowledge that Havana is... good. Do I think it's overrated now - very, but I also don't think it's bad. It's just... good. It's very catchy and it gets some extra points for sounding like nothing else out on the airwaves at the moment. Young Thug's feature is very unnecessary but his part's pretty harmless. The drunker I am, the more it'll seem like I like this song - there's the trick! I have one friend that constantly texts me lyrics of this so it's inescapable. Lemme me not type anymore about this because I'm tryna be nice to Camila.

84 Lil Uzi Vert - XO Tour Llif3

I hate HATED this for most of Summer 2017 but around August/September, whenever Luv Is Rage 2 came out, my opinion started turning around and I was "getting" it. It's a very dark piece of melodic trap-rap that can't escape your head once you hear it, whether you love it or hate it. Lil Uzi has spoken openly about his idolization of Marilyn Manson and most things dark, and it seeps through into all of his music if you listen to his album, which I recommend if you can tolerate heavy over-use of autotune. NGL, he really needs to work on his enunciation, but I thought my journey with this song deserved a spot on my countdown.

83 Imagine Dragons - Thunder

This is so. ****ing. basic. and repetitive. But it's also a heavy bop, so sue me.  I absolutely detest their lead single Believer, so hearing this much more pleasant follow up smash even harder was at least a better alternative.  I knew from first listen that Thunder would be an easy Top 10. Radio really *****s out them, so I'm enjoying this while I can before I detest it again! This gets my "workout" stamp of approval for getting my ass to sweat on a treadmill and making me feel like I'm in a workout commercial for a waterbottle brand. Let's not lie though, let's thank Alex da Kid for that beat, which is 90% of why this song is a smasha.

82 Future & Young Thug - Patek Water (feat. Offset)

Didn't expect to like much of anything off of a Future & Young Thug collab ALBUM, but this one song really goes off thanks to a great, fast-paced, and cool beat backing the two. I have very mixed opinions on Future to say the least (you will only find Mask Off on a YE list of mine if it's a worst of), but in this particular case, I thought his parts held this song together. Thug was, there. Offset was, there. So yeah, I guess Future was my favorite here. But honestly, back to the beat. Thanks DY of 808 MafiaRex Kudo &Southside. IDK what else to say, that's that on that I suppose. Any decently talented rapper with this beat probably could've slayed.

81 N.E.R.D. & Rihanna - Lemon

Please ignore that ugly ass tin foil album cover below, I'm still mad I have to look at that when I listen to this. Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, I may as well just credit #81 to Rihanna - Lemon, because her part completely overshadows Pharrell's verses. I always skip to her part and don't listen to much more afterwards. I will give credit where it's due, though, and the production is impeccably fun and sounds awesome on headphones. It was really awesome to hear Rihanna rap in a Fergie-lite tone and just absolutely RIDE THE BEAT and kill it. I am feeling the fantasy on her verse. For those who won't read this description, I'll bold the important part: Rihanna Rihanna Rihanna. 

Edited by MusicTalker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Just a Gay on ATRL

• JGibson

• Alldeezy

• Lazuli

I love reading your takes! Can't wait for your event.

Perched (x19435) 

1 hour ago, MusicTalker said:

Guess what?! It starts tonight!!! Let's begin. I will be updating in increments of 5. So 100-96 for now.

I am loving the new, mature, and subdued sound Demi has been serving this era. She's had a really great year all around and this is just the first of several appearances for her on my countdown.  R&B is the perfect genre for her voice and the climatic chorus is an earworm. I have a feeling this will flop because the public lacks taste, but the fans will continue praising this anyway, as will I!

When I first heard about this collab, I was like WTF and dreaded it. But it is actually quite a pleasant tune and doesn't have that awful forced FGL twang that makes me hate so many of their songs. It's much more of a pop song than a country song. This song could've featured any male country singer and I'd have been fine because Bebe is the one with the vocals that I really like. The harmonies in the second chorus onward really worked as a final sell to get me to like this. She sounds pretty. Congrats on your hit gurl, you've been trying for it.

Bebe already makes her 2nd appearance (and last, mess) in this by-the-numbers-but-still-good rap pop tune for a flop Will Smith movie that looks awful but had some decent music. This assembly of artists is pretty random, but this type of song is very on trend and that's not always a bad thing. I listen to this on my commute or while working out and it flows well. Not much else to say... it's basic but worth checking out. You know what you're getting.

97 NF - Let You Down

When I heard this guy was a white, Christian rapper I was like oh lord (pun intended), this song's gonna be a cringey mess, but I was pleasantly surprised and it appears to be climbing the charts. It has a very fitting vibe for the Fall/Winter and it's lyrically one of the better rap songs of 2017, in terms of subject matter/meaningful lyics.  Very #relatable. I wouldn't mind this getting a lot of airplay.

This guy is pretty cute and in quiet/shy guy kinda way for one, plus he's dropped multiple good to great songs this year (and co-written and/or featured on other great ones, hint hint). This is the lowest of them but it still deserved a mention.  It is by far one of the slowest, most "sparse" songs on my countdown, meaning there's not a lot to it. But it's a perfect song for background music or when you're walking in the rain or the snow. It's one of those songs that calms me down and reminds me to stay in balance. Lauv is a good artist to check out.

Edited by MusicTalker

Yess Demi <3 

Demi's new approach this year has been slightly more appealing. 

Tell me You Love Me :clap3:

Please comment on mine too

Tell ME You Love Me I thought was so boring at first but it's kind of been gathering me lately. The chorus >>>>

also Love Let You Down.

ill have to check out this Paris In the Rain song 

decent start :clap3: 

can tolerate all songs, and really like TMYLM 

20 hours ago, MusicTalker said:

Reveal hidden contents

97 NF - Let You Down

95 KATO & Sigala - Show You Love (feat. Hailee Steinfeld)

Identity-less chanteuse Hailee comes through with an EDM bop that any other pop girl could've sang, but it still goes off. This year, my playlists showed a lot of love to random DJs, and I really tried to give new artists and producers a chance. This song reminds me of the type of EDM I was really whoring out from 2014-15, a la Gorgon City variety.  This song has a bit of fast burnout rate, so beware, but I am still fairly new to it, so maybe it'll last longer on me than I am thinking. Anyway, it's worth a low placement on my Top 100.

94 Daya - New

An uber trendy. made for Spotify TTH payola lead single from up and comer Daya. However, that being said, this is the type of song she needs to serve at this point in her career. I am confused at why it's flopping so much, but like Hailee, Daya has identity issues and just isn't interesting. Still, she sounds very good and this is good if you don't put too much clout/artistic thought into it. Honestly, I didn't like her debut, so this is my favorite Daya song to date... not enough to make me anywhere near a stan, though. She's young, so she has a lot of room to grow as an artist.

93 Flosstradamus - How You Gon Do That (feat. Cara Salimando)

I don't really know who either of the people on this song are, but I like it after it was shared with me by a friend via text. They got my taste down, so thanks friend! I can't think of much to say on this one so I have no context for either artist, but it's a good song for the club or when you're in "**** men, they suck" kinda mood. You don't need no man, bitch, you just need headphones!

92 Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso - Let Me Go (feat. Florida Georgia Line & watt)

Not gonna lie, writing descriptions about Hailee songs is like describing what color beige paint is. As you can see, this 5 song update is heavy on Spotify pop fan service music. Lots of DJs and girls that sing for DJs music. I could've done without Florida Georgia Line here, but there verse is pretty inoffensive. I'm wondering if FGL is planning to go more pop soon with all these pop collaborations, or if they're just looking for some extra pop coins inbetween eras. Anyway, the breakdown is what makes this song and I really like it. 

91 Halsey - Bad at Love

Congrats on your first Top 10 as a lead today, Halsey! This is SO much better than Needed Me Now or Never, and I really relate to the lyrics. We all know my history with Halsey and my ironic stanning of her, but I was actually a fan of her new album and she has become a lot more tolerable. She knows how to serve a good song, and she has definitely improved a lot over her cringey debut era. I'm glad this song is taking off and it's well deserved. I'm excited to see what's to come for H3. 

Halsey :clap3: Bad At Love has been really addictive lately.

I agree with you about Hailee. Let Me Go is ok tbh. I haven't heard that other collab from her

TMYLM is nice :alexz3: Bad At Love is one of the few tolerable songs Halsey has on her album

BAL is solid

LetMe Go is better than I expected but not really my ish

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.