Why are people acting like Chappel's music is groundbreaking?

Miley Cyrus

I don't think I've heard anyone say her music is "groundbreaking" tbh, only that's it's fun. And it is. So there you go 

• Like 7

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miley Cyrus

• RatGod

• JoeAg

• raisetheroof

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Trent W said:

I love chappell Im a casual fan, but her sound is not very unique

We've also had lesbians in the industry for ages

I think that younger people are just easily impressed and easily caught up in hype

She's a mix of different elements that we've seen before

She's still stands out in Gen Z and a great artist

Just not groundbreaking imo

lesbians in the industry =/= lesbians in the industry being mainstream, on the charts, and doing so with songs about being lesbian.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Miley Cyrus said:

Katy Perry Billie eilish and Demi lovato did that already.

Why are people overhyping her music and acting like she's the second coming of music?? It's just not sonically good.

Like I said, if it's not your cup of tea then move on, as simple as that. not familiar with Demi charting in recent memory and IIRC Billie's first explicitly lesbian song is from her latest album, something that came out after Chappell started blowing up.

It's nothing groundbreaking but it's her persona that make ppl think "she's not like other girls"

And tbf her fans are mostly 14-15 yo, they wouldn't know what groundbreaking means

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

her sound isn't unique, but she's making great pop music like some of our favs (Kylie, Rih, Gaga, Robyn, Kelly) consistently have done in the past. what's groundbreaking is not that she's singing songs about girls, what's groundbreaking is that we have someone who identifies entirely as a lesbian doing it. we have other great lesbian artists like St. Vincent, Torres, Julien Baker, and Romy, but they aren't solidified popstars with big hits. of course we have great bisexual popstars like Billie, Demi, Gaga, Madonna, and Kesha, but none of them are strictly writing about women. and i'm saying this as a bisexual musician myself! Chappell is part of a new generation of popstars, and in this generation there's no shock or scandal about her saying with a full chest that she's a lesbian. idk if there was ever another outright lesbian popstar as big as Chappell, but correct me if i'm wrong :giraffe: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good Luck, Babe sounds like a chewed up album-track off of The Family Jewels so yeah 

"Good Luck, Babe!" is explicitly lesbian and a phenomenally well-written pop song, like classic all-time great pop song level

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

Good Luck, Babe sounds like a chewed up album-track off of The Family Jewels so yeah 

more like *just as good as any of the best songs on that album, which is VERY high praise from me :giraffe: 

Everything about her has been seen and heard before. She's a cheap hodgepodge stealing from of Gaga, Cyndi Lauper, the Village People, and ******* Merida. Her music is basic af, everything sounds old and uninspired. Her personality is miserable but suits her music. Send her back performing at the shopping mall where she belongs. I'm still shocked adult men dance to her stupid music.

• Thumbs Down 1

Not sure either. Heard one of her hits songs a while ago on radio and thought it was Marina. :rip: 

Yeah for me she's just another girl that could've emerged during the Tumblr days (Marina, Lana, Melanie etc are all better than her btw) mixed with some cool-retro aesthetics and queer representation.

Her music is ok. Not my cup of tea at all but i don't get the hype either. Teens get easily gagged these days, especially some obnoxious and obsessed fangirls so there you go.

megan-thee-stallion-sushi.thumb.gif.907b748dc71c4714c2301824fe83bc33.gif

You just made that up. People like her for her looks and persona, not because her music is 'groundbreaking'

18 minutes ago, Troll Idle said:

Everything about her has been seen and heard before. She's a cheap hodgepodge stealing from of Gaga, Cyndi Lauper, the Village People, and ******* Merida. Her music is basic af, everything sounds old and uninspired. Her personality is miserable but suits her music. Send her back performing at the shopping mall where she belongs. I'm still shocked adult men dance to her stupid music.

And yet people said the same about the likes of Gaga and Cyndi. It's pop music, enjoy it or leave s:wan:

• Like 1

I've listened to her music and I have to say that I personally don't understand the hype either, but I don't have to like everything. Her music isn't bad, but it doesn't blow me away either. On the subject of LGBT+, I always think it's good when artists from our community become successful and I hope we'll hear more music with LGBT+ themes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

And yet people said the same about the likes of Gaga and Cyndi. It's pop music, enjoy it or leave s:wan:

Yet Gaga and Cyndi brought something new to the table. What exactly offers Chappell Roan despite being a lesbian (which is not reason enough to hype her up tbh)?

she's got a few bops but yeah i never really got the hype

1 hour ago, JoeAg said:

her sound isn't unique, but she's making great pop music like some of our favs (Kylie, Rih, Gaga, Robyn, Kelly) consistently have done in the past. what's groundbreaking is not that she's singing songs about girls, what's groundbreaking is that we have someone who identifies entirely as a lesbian doing it. we have other great lesbian artists like St. Vincent, Torres, Julien Baker, and Romy, but they aren't solidified popstars with big hits. of course we have great bisexual popstars like Billie, Demi, Gaga, Madonna, and Kesha, but none of them are strictly writing about women. and i'm saying this as a bisexual musician myself! Chappell is part of a new generation of popstars, and in this generation there's no shock or scandal about her saying with a full chest that she's a lesbian. idk if there was ever another outright lesbian popstar as big as Chappell, but correct me if i'm wrong :giraffe: 

Beautifully said! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Couldn't have put it better myself!

1 hour ago, RatGod said:

lesbians in the industry =/= lesbians in the industry being mainstream, on the charts, and doing so with songs about being lesbian.

Melissa Etheridge was singing about her relationships with women back in the 90s with MTV and mainstream radio play too and while looking butch AF. (Tracy Chapman too, though I have no idea if Tracy was out at the time though - that was more late 80s/early 90s and I literally can't recall that time accurately). It hasn't been seen on a mainstream level since then  though, so in that case, I can see why gen z people might think the situation is unheard of. 

Edited by eleganceislearned

Like someone said, white girls and gays are easy to gag. She has some cool looks though 

43 minutes ago, Cry said:

Not sure either. Heard one of her hits songs a while ago on radio and thought it was Marina. :rip: 

1 hour ago, Pendulum said:

This. Marina did the yodeling vocals first.

megan-thee-stallion-sushi.thumb.gif.907b748dc71c4714c2301824fe83bc33.gif 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrokenMachine said:

You just made that up. People like her for her looks and persona, not because her music is 'groundbreaking'

Not sure that's compliment for a singer  LOL

Edited by mike_int

Chappell's debut and Sabrina's latest album are perfect examples of you don't need to be groundbreaking in order to excel.

Good Luck Babe sounds like a Marina Diamandis track, whereas Hot To Go is the Lesbian version of YMCA :heart:

She has great songs and an album stronger than what most of the late 00s and early 10s pop girls were releasing when you take out the nostalgia goggles

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.