Katy Perry - "Lifetimes"

chriswouldman
Element
Message added by Element,

Please keep discussion in this thread focused on the song. Discussions about Katy Perry's larger scale career/choices, and other artists should NOT be done here. There are plenty of other places to do so on ATRL. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Hexchromatica said:

Expecting to get downvoted being in the Katy thread but

People thinking this would smash if Dr Luke wasn't involved are delusional, both tracks clearly haven't connected with the public, the vast vast majority don't know what a Dr Luke is

I mean it's SO obvious these songs lack personality and umph. 

The personality shows in OOTB and TD should be the goal, not JUST working with Luke. Yeah, the songs may have been overall generic but they still felt like Katy Perry. In Prism you could see things start to get a little too generic.

This album feels like she was so obsessed with the idea of working with Luke again for another potential hit that she forgot to put personality into the songs. They're all just sooooooo incredibly dull, generic, with the most brain dead lyrics I've seen someone of her caliber release. 

It's just kind of shocking her team can see CG, TD, HiH, going viral every week and then release this crap like :dies: 

her and her team at capitol are out of touch. I fear she'd need to switch labels and start from scratch. 

Maybe lifetimes can make some noise but I don't see it. 

Edited by Gaia
  • Like 5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halcyonday

• Ramcoro

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Tistotal

The music video looked so amateurish and i wouldnt spend money too on this song.Also there is a thing called as too much teasing... by the tiem the song dropped everyone basically knew what it sounded like. Katy need a california gurls for 2024 with the world's current music pop  trend like espresso. The song must be insanely catchy from the get go,verse-prechorus and chorus all need to be on the same level.

• Thanks 1

THe MV is so perfect. I don't know what y'll are tripping

• Thanks 2

i completely agree with pretty much all criticism here or online in general, but...

i can't stop myself from bopping to it. i just LOVE a basic, devoid of art or an original idea, playing-in-the-background-while-trying-on-cheap-and-ugly-shirts in h&m ass song

tenor.giftenor.giftenor.gif

and the mv slays idc

Edited by ainadalkaz
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Nefertiti0 said:

Spotify
#145 Global - 1,426,144
#198 US - 351,259
#95 Norway - 15,686
#144 Brazil - 208,648
#152 Finland - 11,216
#183 Sweden - 22,764

So around 1.6M unfiltered for first day

It did way better than I thought tbh… at least it debuted.

Hope it can stay above 1M for a few more days, I will listening this time!

People thinking this is flopping because of Dr. Luke's name are so clueless. He could produce Sabrina's next song and she would be #1 because she's a hot singer right now, or he could produce another hit for Nicki Minaj or another female rapper and the GP wouldn't even know what a Dr Luke is.

Sadly the GP doesn't care about current Katy's music

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ainadalkaz said:

i just LOVE a basic, devoid of art or an original idea, playing-in-the-background-while-trying-on-cheap-and-ugly-shirts in h&m ass song

tenor.giftenor.giftenor.gif

:dies:

Imagine having barely any playlisting for your promo single meanwhile your songs from previous projects having more and more playlists reach than your new ones... wait... 

The lyrics aren't the issue, it's just the genre. EDM/dance-pop tracks don't typically have deep lyrics. Like Calvin Harris' Summer is just "when I met ya in the summer", and "One Kiss" is just "one kiss is all it takes blabla possibilities." I Feel Love is just "woooooo I feel love"

I think Katy's still the same woman who wrote Thinking of You and Not Like The Movies, she's just been gravitating towards the EDM sound for about four years now – Zedd, Tomorrowland, Alesso, etc. Clearly, she's a fan of the genre and that's totally cool. Lifetimes is solid, but singer-songwriter pop is what's big right now. That still doesn't make it a bad song or even a totally generic song in any way

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, kayliah said:

The music video looked so amateurish and i wouldnt spend money too on this song.Also there is a thing called as too much teasing... by the tiem the song dropped everyone basically knew what it sounded like. Katy need a california gurls for 2024 with the world's current music pop  trend like espresso. The song must be insanely catchy from the get go,verse-prechorus and chorus all need to be on the same level.

The zoomed in shots of her face looked so bad, it looks like they shot it with a potato

I'm sorry, but the problem is not Dr Luke's involvement. The problem is that the songs feel completely lifeless and uninspired, especially with weak EDM instrumentals.

The instrumentals alone could be so much stronger. People are disappointed, because we expected much more from the "comeback". 

With the right material, like NRO was, she showed that she still has it, but these songs are just weak. That's the problem. 

And I'm not saying this as a hater, I want her to do great again, because I'm sure, she still could, if the songs would be stronger. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, aotwbys said:

The lyrics aren't the issue, it's just the genre. EDM/dance-pop tracks don't typically have deep lyrics. Like Calvin Harris' Summer is just "when I met ya in the summer", and "One Kiss" is just "one kiss is all it takes blabla possibilities." I Feel Love is just "woooooo I feel love"

I think Katy's still the same woman who wrote Thinking of You and Not Like The Movies, she's just been gravitating towards the EDM sound for about four years now – Zedd, Tomorrowland, Alesso, etc. Clearly, she's a fan of the genre and that's totally cool. Lifetimes is solid, but singer-songwriter pop is what's big right now. That still doesn't make it a bad song or even a totally generic song in any way

It's not the genre, it's the song production and the lyrics that are the issue. It's so poor quality for someone of her calibre.

Lots of EDM released in 2024 sound amazing, not dated, not boring, and have a dynamic production even if the lyrics are still repetitive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlazingLovatic said:

It's not the genre, it's the song production and the lyrics that are the issue. It's so poor quality for someone of her calibre.

Lots of EDM released in 2024 sound amazing, not dated, not boring, and have a dynamic production even if the lyrics are still repetitive.

Lifetimes is well-crafted. It has plenty of little details worth appreciating. It's definitely not the David Guetta knockoff some people claim it to be. Maybe my view is biased because I enjoy Vaughn Oliver's solo/duo work. I'm just saying it's kinda unfair to judge an EDM/house track by the same standards as a singer-songwriter song – just my 2 cents of yapping lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hexchromatica said:

Expecting to get downvoted being in the Katy thread but

People thinking this would smash if Dr Luke wasn't involved are delusional, both tracks clearly haven't connected with the public, the vast vast majority don't know what a Dr Luke is

Probably it's also true, but it's undeniable how strong is the hate wave coming from that, since WW announcement. Every move of her is harshly overcriticized. 

10 minutes ago, aotwbys said:

Lifetimes is well-crafted. It has plenty of little details worth appreciating. It's definitely not the David Guetta knockoff some people claim it to be. Maybe my view is biased because I enjoy Vaughn Oliver's solo/duo work. I'm just saying it's kinda unfair to judge an EDM/house track by the same standards as a singer-songwriter song – just my 2 cents of yapping lol

Don't get me wrong it's generic as hell, and I agree with the people who say it was crafted by people who don't really respect the EDM/house genre, but I'll still bop it a few times haha.

However, I will do so fully knowing it is about 10% of the quality I expected from her. For me, it's hard not to be disappointed by this and WW based on the quality of the songs (even aside from the Dr Luke association, which is a separate issue).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i hate her songwritings this era:clack: so lazy and lifeless. 

the melody is catchy but the lyrics make it less enjoyable 

even i think about you all the time 24 7 365 outsold

Nirvana next single pls.

1 hour ago, kayliah said:

Katy need a california gurls for 2024 with the world's current music pop  trend like espresso.

No thanks. I rather have Katy flopping with her style then anything else, especially that type of soft pop (I don't even know how to define it). * Personal opinion*

God, I wish she had just hired Zedd to executive produce this entire album. We could've had a whole era of 365s.

Luke's music sounds so uninspired and tired :ace:

It's a cute bop but it's so generic 2020-22 house trend

3 hours ago, Nefertiti0 said:

Spotify
#145 Global - 1,426,144
#198 US - 351,259
#95 Norway - 15,686
#144 Brazil - 208,648
#152 Finland - 11,216
#183 Sweden - 22,764

Almost 1,43M :jonnycat:

• Haha 4

This era would have been accepted better if this was the lead single.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WitnessingKP said:

Exactly! Why are they expecting a smash? She's been flopping for a while now. This isn't news.

Was there not loads of threads on here about the hype, the met gala likes, the tiktoks asking for katy back, womans world announcement on twitter out doing Fortnight? People called me a conspiracy theorist for saying it was payola'd but it hasn't matched any of this (the debuts and song performance)

Capital FM UK gave this its first spin 01:08pm.. coming for month long top 2 residency!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aotwbys said:

This song has nothing to do with EDM :rip:

it makes sense when you realize that katy perry is/was in the same point of her career that paula abdul was when Idol premiered, 10 years past their moment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.