The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 1 [winner revealed]

Suilen

I'm enjoying some of her early, flop era singles quite a lot. That sort of early 00s R&B vibe with a J-Pop flavor to it... it hits all my brain receptors just right. The Namie print ig!

• Like 3

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Kyle-x

• Curaga

• Graves

Top Posters In This Topic

So excited for this! Thanks for hosting @Suilen :heart:

• Like 2

On 7/9/2024 at 4:43 AM, Suilen said:

Part of it is a natural decline (mind you, she managed to get a no. 1 album 16 years into her career), part of it is the fact that Japan started to gradually move on from 'diva' artists (note that there are practically zero new artists like her these days), and, well, her appeal eventually became reduced to gays and hardcore stans. I'd say that her brand of sexuality may be seen as 'threatening' unlike AKB's 'sexy innocence' or whatever, which also contributed to that. Some may say that the decline of quality is also at play here, and I've seen plenty of Western j-pop fans claiming that they unstanned her due to bad music, but I'm not sure if her Japanese fans share the sentiment. The general audience still loves her old ballads, but they aren't checking for the new ones, though I don't think that the quality declined on that front.

Agreed with all this. Only thing I'd add is the amniotic fluid incident in 2008. While she still achieved a great deal of success afterwards and did some pretty cool things like selling out multiple stadium dates and a Tokyo Dome show for her 10th anniversary in 2010, it did a number on her for sure. She lost a core part of her audience at the time in the older age women who supported her career up until that point and also lost some of her brand deals/tie-ins at the time. Do I think the current state of her career would be much different today without it? Probably not, but I think her success could've lasted a bit longer. Like you said though, she's managed a no.1 album over 16 years into her career, sold out an arena tour during COVID 20 years into her career, even achieved a digital Oricon #1 and physical top 10 hit last year, and is still touring successfully to date. 

I hope she'll get to properly celebrate her 25th anniversary next year with a nice arena tour that won't be scaled down like the MY NAME IS... tour was due to COVID. Will always stan and root for my queen. :heart:

Edited by Britneyfan09
  • Like 4

On my 4th listen of the list and I've shuffled my scores around so much at this point that it feels kinda jumbled/contrived. Almost feel like I should have just gone with my 1st listen gut reactions. Oh well...

d4483f44aa2e97f0eee891c2800a52b3823328db.gif

That being said, I have a much greater appreciation for some songs I snubbed the 1st time, like ECSTASY and stay with me :heart:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curaga said:

On my 4th listen of the list and I've shuffled my scores around so much at this point that it feels kinda jumbled/contrived. Almost feel like I should have just gone with my 1st listen gut reactions. Oh well...

That being said, I have a much greater appreciation for some songs I snubbed the 1st time, like ECSTASY and stay with me :heart:

Your scores will be interesting as usual

• Haha 1

There's a rumor going around Kana Nishino's fanbase that this song made Namie consider retirement. Don't know if true, how ****** up though.

The people are really saying f*ck the men and not in the homosexuah sense :mandown:

• Like 1

kumi-koda-excited.gif

I'm fuming a bit that I wasn't tagged, but I'm so ready for this! Kuu one of the greats at the end of the day, and although her ballad facet has always been not much my cup of tea (moreover, I'd say many of her best ballads at this forst stage are the ones that weren't singles like No Way, Futari De…, Aitakute, Anata Dake Ga), when she taps into her inner rawk chick nad middle east gene, she makes fantastic stuff. And what to say about her classics like BUT, TABOO, DDD etc? Excited to take part in this!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Invisibility said:

kumi-koda-excited.gif

I'm fuming a bit that I wasn't tagged, but I'm so ready for this! Kuu one of the greats at the end of the day, and although her ballad facet has always been not much my cup of tea (moreover, I'd say many of her best ballads at this forst stage are the ones that weren't singles like No Way, Futari De…, Aitakute, Anata Dake Ga), when she taps into her inner rawk chick nad middle east gene, she makes fantastic stuff. And what to say about her classics like BUT, TABOO, DDD etc? Excited to take part in this!

I'm going to do some tagging next week, but thank you for tuning in!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 5:07 PM, Subomie said:

Part one alone being sixty songs??? These girls and their mammoth discographies...

Will do of course.

I kept thinking about this post because I noticed there are singles from both Black Cherry and secret in this list... so, you will have already listened to about half of those 2 albums, and virtually all of BEST 〜second session〜 as well!

914a348a951fa865076460c4f2665a26f04b0208.pnj

Edited by Curaga
  • Haha 1

Does she hate this song or something because:

1) this cover

KUMI KODA - flower - Amazon.com Music

2) no video

I'll have to use one of those first things visuals for it.

wWgDKRN.gif

5 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Does she hate this song or something because:

1) this cover

KUMI KODA - flower - Amazon.com Music

2) no video

I'll have to use one of those first things visuals for it.

wWgDKRN.gif

That song's so cute :emofish:

Maybe you're already aware of this site, but I was looking at scans of third universe here just now: 

http://www.welcometokodakumiworld.com/works/release?i=28 (Click on "Scans" tab for the booklet)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curaga said:

That song's so cute :emofish:

Maybe you're already aware of this site, but I was looking at scans of third universe here just now: 

http://www.welcometokodakumiworld.com/works/release?i=28 (Click on "Scans" tab for the booklet)

I'm using a general jpop one that died around the same time JASMINE's career did but that one could be useful for part 2 :heart:

wtf :jonny4: MOTHER

• Like 3

Made some more Kuu gifs :gaynetcat1: 

Spoiler

c4e2bc366a9218473432e01a8cd7fd1e3b4c806c

20b95ec51177458d71036004110a30423e24f970

5b2fff143927c513a2590d0ad52d1bc02f1886d5

75f60c6f79fb8d462166e2f8cd0565e17fc0bcb3

3b8fb9c7bcef8a0072933ae5a0d908851d0be070

ed9a97c2b85225531c38956f81e13a5f8ba18ca9

I wish this shot were a little longer lol

cd2f5a7a46b628ab9277b510aa023b063bc6cae6

f1f37e579ac5951a6f65a804084a6d561937d6cf

• Like 2

you shouldve included devaju and japonesque and called it a day x

rating the songs now

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Miracle Whip @Subomie @AMIT @Frappucino @confide in me @Tropical @D.D.D. @Fevesy @Britneyfan09 @Invisibility

A reminder that there are two weeks left before the deadline. If anyone needs more time, let me know. I'll send another reminder next week and a day before the submission closes. 

Also tagging a bunch of people who haven't seen the thread/posted but may be interested:

@ZENO @hud @UrMom @Kyle-x @Anthinos @AvadaKedavra @bestfiction

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1

Now how did I miss this, let me start assembling my ballot :jonny: 

• Like 2

im struggling rating some songs

are yall rating them based on her discography or compared to everything

wWgDKRN.gif

8 minutes ago, getinthezone said:

im struggling rating some songs

are yall rating them based on her discography or compared to everything

wWgDKRN.gif

I rated them just based this group of singles alone + tried to group together the songs I like a similar amount across all 10 tiers.

Like, if in the list of all my 10s I noticed I didn't like one as much as the others in that group, I'd bump it down. 

Maybe I'll regret that though if I do the same thing for part 2 and then the lists get combined :suburban: 

I wanted to be strategic as far as boosting my absolute favs, but at the same time I'm not strategic enough to do something like give a 0 to a good/popular song I don't wanna see take #1 :lakitu: I gave my 0 to a song I actually dislike lol. No idea if it's a popular one or not. :psyduck:

Wait where is miss WON'T BE LONG?

1 hour ago, Kyle-x said:

Wait where is miss WON'T BE LONG?

I decided not to include collabs (with men), and I imagine that most people would prefer the non-single solo version anyway. The meaning of peace was also dublicated on the love across the ocean single, so I thought its inclusion would be fair.

We could rate the 2019 ver. for part 2 I guess :eli:

• Haha 1

I started doing this out of boredom. Let's see if I'll finish by the deadline

• Like 1

Someone left the following comment to a song:

a bit too LGBTQ for me

Try guessing what it's for :eli:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.