What is the biggest female era of all time ?

MoonGoodandHappy

The Bodyguard. 

She had the biggest album released by a woman and the biggest selling non-charitable physical single of its time. Whitney also dominated EVERY award show besides MTV. The Bodyguard was also the biggest GLOBAL era. Hell, the album sold like 6 million copies in Asia alone. 

The film itself was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year. 

Whitney's peak could be comparable to Michael's peak. 

Edited by LegaMyth
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doctor Dick

• Sweetness

• LegaMyth

• Finkypop

It MUST be between the following:

Like A Virgin

The Bodyguard

Daydream

Baby One More Time

The Fame

Good Girl Gone Bad

Teenage Dream

Falling Into You

Come On Over

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 6/23/2024 at 5:05 PM, PoisonedIvy said:

It's gonna be between:

The Bodyguard

Lets Talk About Love

Teenage Dream

the Fame Monster

Come on Over

Like a Prayer

Music Box

all these + I'd add Rhythm Nation 1814 :giraffe:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LegaMyth said:

no way.  I was there.  Guys and girls weren't convulsing at the mere sight of Whitney on stage.  Screaming and crying and dressing like her.  Whitney was just a voice that had a huge movie and hit song.  Doesn't matter what the numbers are.  Numbers are just a fraction of the whole story.  Michael Jackson was an entertainer, an all-encompassing superstar.  Whitney was just like an Adele-type of star. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm not sure what is meant by "biggest female era." If you mean,  who was was the biggest female "celebrity" during an era, that title belongs to The Spice Girls. I don't think any female had a peak in celebrity to match them, maybe Gaga.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 1:13 AM, Da Vinci said:

The Bodyguard Soundtrack era instantly came to mind

Biggest female song ever, biggest female album/soundtrack ever, Grammys sweep (including ROTY and AOTY), box office success/movie star power, global and truly global meaning in every continent including Asia and Africa not just Europe, etc.

This gets my vote! Whitney owned! :WAP:

From all the ones i lived The Fame Monster one was short lived but the biggest i ever experienced :giraffe:

2 hours ago, spree said:

no way.  I was there.  Guys and girls weren't convulsing at the mere sight of Whitney on stage.  Screaming and crying and dressing like her.  Whitney was just a voice that had a huge movie and hit song.  Doesn't matter what the numbers are.  Numbers are just a fraction of the whole story.  Michael Jackson was an entertainer, an all-encompassing superstar.  Whitney was just like an Adele-type of star. 

I would like to know if you tell us who comes closest to MJ-level peak. I would love to know. From females that is. 

29 minutes ago, Doctor Dick said:

I would like to know if you tell us who comes closest to MJ-level peak. I would love to know. From females that is. 

Madonna, tho not close to MJ.  But the closest female, and far above people like Taylor Swift, Whitney, Beyonce, and Mariah. 

again, Madonna at her prime was an all-encompassing entertainer and superstar.  She had the hits, she had the media coverage, girls wanted to be her and dress like her.  She had the beauty, guys jacked off to her.  She was a Playboy centerfold after all.  She had the performance skills, she reinvented stadium touring as we now know it.  She oozed charisma, you couldn't take your eyes off her.  She pissed off the church, pro-life activists, anti-gay activists, was the one true ally to gays during the AIDS crisis (of her stature). The list goes on...

but, no one comes close to Michael Jackson.  He flicked his wrist in that white glove and you got goosebumps and started crying.  Madonna, or Taylor or Gaga and certainly not Whitney never had that much emotional pull on people.  You really just had to be there.  Numbers will tell a different story, but that's just one facet of the big picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, spree said:

Madonna, tho not close to MJ.  But the closest female, and far above people like Taylor Swift, Whitney, Beyonce, and Mariah. 

again, Madonna at her prime was an all-encompassing entertainer and superstar.  She had the hits, she had the media coverage, girls wanted to be her and dress like her.  She had the beauty, guys jacked off to her.  She was a Playboy centerfold after all.  She had the performance skills, she reinvented stadium touring as we now know it.  She oozed charisma, you couldn't take your eyes off her.  She pissed off the church, pro-life activists, anti-gay activists, was the one true ally to gays during the AIDS crisis (of her stature). The list goes on...

but, no one comes close to Michael Jackson.  He flicked his wrist in that white glove and you got goosebumps and started crying.  Madonna, or Taylor or Gaga and certainly not Whitney never had that much emotional pull on people.  You really just had to be there.  Numbers will tell a different story, but that's just one facet of the big picture.

Yeah and there's also the fact that there's a peak for females that will never be the same as the peak for males because of one demo: heterosexual guys. No female artist has ever had a worshipping fandom in every demo but males have. Michael Jackson was an idol to white people, black people, male, female, kids, elders and listeners of rock, pop or jazz. Madonna or Taylor or Gaga or Whitney could have the majority of those but they do not have the heterosexual men. Heterosexual men were stans of Michael along with females, teens, gays and kids. The most a female could reach is a "respectable" amount of heterosexual men but none of them will be idolizing her the way they did with Michael. Michael had the same adoration from both men and women, heterosexual or homosexual. I have yet to see a woman reach that level and I don't think one ever will. And that could be called misogyny but I think it's just nature. I think the absolute peak of female artists has been reached by Madonna, Taylor, Adele, Gaga or Whitney. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Doctor Dick said:

Yeah and there's also the fact that there's a peak for females that will never be the same as the peak for males because of one demo: heterosexual guys. No female artist has ever had a worshipping fandom in every demo but males have. Michael Jackson was an idol to white people, black people, male, female, kids, elders and listeners of rock, pop or jazz. Madonna or Taylor or Gaga or Whitney could have the majority of those but they do not have the heterosexual men. Heterosexual men were stans of Michael along with females, teens, gays and kids. The most a female could reach is a "respectable" amount of heterosexual men but none of them will be idolizing her the way they did with Michael. Michael had the same adoration from both men and women, heterosexual or homosexual. I have yet to see a woman reach that level and I don't think one ever will. And that could be called misogyny but I think it's just nature. I think the absolute peak of female artists has been reached by Madonna, Taylor, Adele, Gaga or Whitney. 

i agree with the men vs women thing, but at the end of the day, Michael Jackson was such a terrific performer.  Like out of this world he's not human type of performer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

18 hours ago, spree said:

Nobody believes me when I tell them this, remember when Azelia Banks said that straight men where never attracted to her?  Also MJ was okay to me but I felt like once you seen him perform several times that was it, you already knew what you going to get and his music was okay and never progressed. I always felt Madonna was better overall.

12 minutes ago, Sweetness said:

Nobody believes me when I tell them this, remember when Azelia Banks said that straight men where never attracted to her?  Also MJ was okay to me but I felt like once you seen him perform several times that was it, you already knew what you going to get and his music was okay and never progressed. I always felt Madonna was better overall.

And Michael died trying to recreate Thriller.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 11:24 AM, LegaMyth said:

The Bodyguard. 

She had the biggest album released by a woman and the biggest selling non-charitable physical single of its time. Whitney also dominated EVERY award show besides MTV. The Bodyguard was also the biggest GLOBAL era. Hell, the album sold like 6 million copies in Asia alone. 

The film itself was the 2nd highest grossing film of the year. 

No offense but it was a soundtrack to a very popular movie and it wasn't just Whitney on it. The soundtrack would've of sold well because of how successful movie was as well as having Whitney on it. Kevin Costner was also probably the biggest actor at the time period, the movie would've of been a success regardless, the producers wanted to even go with some well else but Kevin demaned her. 

2 minutes ago, Alexz said:

And Michael died trying to recreate Thriller.

Agreed. His fans get so denfensive about this, he wanted to recreate that success and mania around it but it was never going to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sweetness said:

Agreed. His fans get so denfensive about this, he wanted to recreate that success and mania around it but it was never going to happen.

It is the truth. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.