Teenage Dream and Born To Die competing with recent MPG releases. Why?

halcyonday

37 minutes ago, Klein said:

So we're removing from context that 1989 OG is still pulling 3-3.5M streams? And btw, 1989 TV has 22 tracks, on par with TD's 19, not 30. 

Still, TD's (and BTD's) numbers are absolutely excellent. The people are clearly excited for a Katy comeback. 

It was doing the same numbers as TV not before the re-recording was released. Using just one of them is pretty fair.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halcyonday

• Aethereal

• Klein

• Feanor

Top Posters In This Topic

SOS is definitely gonna stand the rest of time, it's already a classic

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aethereal said:

It was doing the same numbers as TV not before the re-recording was released. Using just one of them is pretty fair.

1989 OG was doing 1989 TV current numbers as far back as early February 2023. It then did 7M+ after the start of The Eras Tour, climbed to 10M+ by the end of June, and peaked at 20M with the announcement of the TV in August. So no, it wasn't really doing similar numbers. Also, you're discussing the prevalence of the album in the culture, so ignoring one version of it doesn't make any sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

44 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Also worth mentioning is the fact that Katy and Lana have no other album (let alone albums) that even come close to 'Born To Die' or 'Teenage Dream' in terms of streams, so most of their streaming demand is funneled into these two albums specifically. Whenever someone decides to listen to them, their primary album choice are those two.

Taylor meanwhile has not 1, not 2, but 3 other albums the public is currently streaming more than '1989 (TV)', thus taking away attention (and streams) from that album. Taylor listeners evidently are more spread out across multiple albums.

so you saying that Taylor is more popular and successful than Katy and Lana in 2024??? NO WAYYYY! WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT!

Stick to the thread!

And it's ok to admit that other pop girls have bigger/equal big albums as your fav! TD and BTD are more impactful in pop culture than 1989. And that's OK! 

• Like 2

can y'all stop making everything about taylor, we know she's #1 of all time, stop the spam

• Like 5

Both Teenage Dream and Born To Die defined music in the 2010s decade and it's a fact. They are timeless classics that will be remembered forever.

Also, the Katy hate in here is so forced. You guys sound so bitter for no reason. :toofunny3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Klein said:

1989 OG was doing 1989 TV current numbers as far back as early February 2023. It then did 7M+ after the start of The Eras Tour, climbed to 10M+ by the end of June, and peaked at 20M with the announcement of the TV in August. So no, it wasn't really doing similar numbers. Also, you're discussing the prevalence of the album in the culture, so ignoring one version of it doesn't make any sense. 

Well Taylor has a massive peak while Katy's last successful albums was in 2014 that gives 1989 an advantage. 

5 minutes ago, SylMacPer said:

so you saying that Taylor is more popular and successful than Katy and Lana in 2024??? NO WAYYYY! WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT!

Stick to the thread!

And it's ok to admit that other pop girls have bigger/equal big albums as your fav! TD and BTD are more impactful in pop culture than 1989. And that's OK! 

Sure I would admit… if it was true. And neither of those album are bigger than '1989' according to every metric out there: Sales, streams, views, units etc. etc.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

can y'all stop making everything about taylor, we know she's #1 of all time, stop the spam

This is why you should not have mentioned Taylor in the thread post because now Swifties are making it about her and taking attention away from Katy and Lana. You brought this on yourself. 

5 minutes ago, Klein said:

1989 is the biggest album ever existed!

Its more streamed than Thriller and every Madonna album! Congrats!

Bye now! 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Aethereal said:

Well Taylor has a massive peak while Katy's last successful albums was in 2014 that gives 1989 an advantage. 

I'm not discussing whether 1989 or Teenage Dream should be doing the bigger numbers. I was correcting the mistakes you were doing to draw your conclusions because you were omitting many things in your reasoning. 

Both albums are classics of the 2010s, anyone with an ounce of common sense will tell you that. 

2 classic albums with lots of hits

7 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

The replies here are direct answers to the question posed in the OP that explicitly mentions Taylor Swift as a point of comparison. Don't act obtuse now when people are giving context.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SylMacPer said:

1989 is the biggest album ever existed!

Its more streamed than Thriller and every Madonna album! Congrats!

Bye now! 

Try and read my posts a little more carefully (or the context of the conversation I was having with this member) and you'll understand that at no point do I think that both TD and BTD's numbers are not incredible, or that they're not definitive classics.

I didn't think having a polite and respectful discussion on a specific subject about an artist that was brought up by the OP and an album that was brought up by another member would be so triggering. I'm very sorry! 

• Like 1

Both of them are pop perfection :gaycat4:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TayDuaStan said:

Yeah, sure, whatever helps you sleep at night Season 2 Lol GIF by Insecure on HBO

1989 sweetie :biblio:

You're a Swiftie... The joke writes itself. Maybe you need help sleeping at night after torturing your ears for years listening to the same shitty lullabies over and over again like a braindead chicken.

IMG_9634.thumb.jpeg.e29325365801c2fc1895

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Feanor said:

The replies here are direct answers to the question posed in the OP that explicitly mentions Taylor Swift as a point of comparison. Don't act obtuse now when people are giving context.

Please show me what questions are you answering because I asked only: "Why" and "Why did these albums become timeless? What are some of your favorite moments of these eras?". Neither focus on mentioning how many smash albums Taylor has. it was stated that she's the queen of streaming so we don't have to spend 10 pages arguing if and why she is. We know. No one asked.

Edited by halcyonday

Teenage Dream is literally a greatest hits  album no other pop girl outside Madonna has or could ever achieve. Latest pop girls have albums which have one hit and the era is over after a few months and steamers move on or back to the classics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Timeless said:

This is why you should not have mentioned Taylor in the thread post because now Swifties are making it about her and taking attention away from Katy and Lana. You brought this on yourself. 

you're right, from now on i will call her voldemort

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Klein said:

Try and read my posts a little more carefully (or the context of the conversation I was having with this member) and you'll understand that at no point do I think that both TD and BTD's numbers are not incredible, or that they're not definitive classics.

I didn't think having a polite and respectful discussion on a specific subject about an artist that was brought up by the OP and an album that was brought up by another member would be so triggering. I'm very sorry! 

Honey, I'm a Swiftie since 2008! I know very well Taylor's numbers on every single one of her releases! I know how massive 1989 was back in the day and I know how massive it still is! 

Buuuut… you considered that Taylor needed to be defended because someone said that TD and BTD are doing similar numbers as an album that was re-released a few months ago, that had 5 brand new songs, that was promoted as part of the biggest tour ever and during Taylor's MASSIVE peak! 

The only triggered in here, somehow, is you!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SylMacPer said:

Honey, I'm a Swiftie since 2008! I know very well Taylor's numbers on every single one of her releases! I know how massive 1989 was back in the day and I know how massive it still is! 

Buuuut… you considered that Taylor needed to be defended because someone said that TD and BTD are doing similar numbers as an album that was re-released a few months ago, that had 5 brand new songs, that was promoted as part of the biggest tour ever and during Taylor's MASSIVE peak! 

The only triggered in here, somehow, is you!

If we've reached the point where responding politely and without belittling the importance of any artist to someone making a statement that we don't agree with/needs more context taken into consideration is being triggered, then sure. I am! 

• Thanks 1

:heart2: BORN TO DIE VIDEOGRAPHY :heart2: 

e26fb60281b2c4a7562428c6e34eab5e2e7d6d1a_hq.gif

157b3b988398ef0cb9d95d7abd3adf9d.gif

tumblr_ma99lbASNf1rullqzo1_500.gif

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9527n8tzmok9grkq16jec

Lu8L.gif

tumblr_mciv42Dopd1qg39ewo1_500.gifv

HsYofAH.jpg

tumblr_onk9dkU9PN1uu2gsio1_500.gif

ab27ce7e0039a34a778721c8cecc8ddd.gif

@halcyonday

Born To Die - 193,000 vinyl sales in 2023. (possibly over 200,000 including CDs and album downloads)

Also 36th in UK, top 10 in Australia when it comes to vinyls.

halcyonday

• Thanks 1

:heart2: TEENAGE DREAM VIDEOGRAPHY :heart2:

1IuF.gif

KeDtEbT.gif

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952lf4j662i0ykb110pjg

WuFk.gif

giphy.gif

4Img.gif

1ddO.gif

tumblr_muku66QlY71steo0eo1_500.gif

Born to Die is a modern classic

Teenage Dream is just having a tiktok hit right now

IMG_9634.thumb.jpeg.e29325365801c2fc1895

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.