• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• More Than A Melody

• Kimbra

• Rose

• dirrtydiana

13 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

His artistic narrative is being a pretty white boy who had teenage girls lusting for him :giraffe:

His debut was actually nice and showed some artistry from him, but his follow was being in full sell out mode making the most radio fodder music ever, while also queerbating for his teenage girl stans who couldn't get over the 1D gay fanfics :gaycat3:

Pop music is purposely made to be radio fodder. It's like yall are new to ATRL

His ugly pink biker shorts could mean anything 

FZ7qEExXEAM7k_K?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Haha 15
  • Thumbs Down 1

25 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

I'll admit I'm a huge fan of all their projects (sans the last two)

Alex Turner making those 2 albums after the success of AM is proof of his artistic integrity. Harry will never relate. Each time he notices his fans like something, he does that thing over and over and over again. 

11 minutes ago, JO1s said:

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

He has a more artistic narrative than someone's 13yo high school Disney Channel sitcom one. I can assure you that.

1 hour ago, Rose said:

The last leg of the tour he was always shirtless and flexing his muscles. I would say he was catering more than ever. 

Flexing his muscles or, you know, moving? He was shirtless but wearing glitter and pink, and you've made it extremely clear that you find any kind of femininity in men disgusting.

Notice how you don't deny being shallow. Growth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rose said:

Alex Turner making those 2 albums after the success of AM is proof of his artistic integrity. Harry will never relate. Each time he notices his fans like something, he does that thing over and over and over again. 

Alex Turner making those 2 albums is proof that he's not as good of a musician. The genre is interesting and he could've managed to have decent success if he did them correctly. Alas...

And the last part is hilarious. He clearly doesn't do what you want him to do, hence why you're on that side of the fence now, and extremely salty about it, might I add. You're just as obsessed with him now as you were all those years ago, it's just negative obsession now, which is concerning for your mental health. I hope you heal from your former favorite artist not fulfilling your Wattpad dreams.

17 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Flexing his muscles or, you know, moving? He was shirtless but wearing glitter and pink, and you've made it extremely clear that you find any kind of femininity in men disgusting.

Notice how you don't deny being shallow. Growth.

What I dislike is ugly and unflattering clothes. Those clothes are especially ugly on him because he's not naturally feminine and he doesn't dress like that irl. 

You think he's not catering to his horny female fans? LOL. I remembered this from the Guardian album review

you wonder at some of the more lofty musical comparisons to which Styles's work has been subjected and whether the sight of him stripping to his boxers in the As It Was video really "embodies vulnerability in physical form" rather than say, a fit bloke getting his kit off because he knows what side his bread's buttered on. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/16/harry-styles-harrys-house-review

And it's flexing, yes.

spacer.png

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Rose said:

And it's flexing, yes.

spacer.png

Oh wow, his body is tea. Too bad he is a semi-Zionist.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

I don't expect everyone to like him. I'm not pushing against that, read again. I'm pushing against the idea that he has "no artistic narrative" because he absolutely does. You guys are just not even trying to scratch the surface, because this forum historically doesn't scratch the surface in general, with any artist. That's not what this forum is about.

I don't think you have to feel "stupid" for not liking him. If you listen to his music and it's not for you, it doesn't require a deeper analysis. I don't like St. Vincent and that doesn't make me stupid. But I'm not going around saying that St. Vincent doesn't have [insert whatever excuse you want here] simpyl becaise I don't like her.

I'm not correcting or shutting down negative opinions. I wouldn't be able to exist on this forum, y'all never liked him. Ever. I'm pushing against one specific idea, because this is a forum to debate. And I'm debating.

I'm literally bisexual and have a girlfriend. Do not call me homophobic again simply because I hate the way white gay men engage with pop culture in general (which is generally misogynistic and racist). Your comment in and of itself is part of that, I must like Harry because I'm a straight girl and straight girls taste in music is shallow. That's literally where most of this entire debate stems from, btw. He's a conventionally attractive white man who makes pop music and has a lot of young female fans, so his music MUST be bland and uninteresting and manufactured and and and. It's the oldest stereotype in the world.

You're right, it was presumptuous of me to imply you must be a straight woman, but I stand by everything else I say.

This thread has 110 replies so far, and nearly a fifth of them are lengthy paragraphs written by you trying to defend Harry from all sorts of criticism possible. People here say he has no artistic narrative because they don't like him, not because he actually doesn't have one, and you can't change their opinion on that unless you make them like Harry Styles too. You say that you are not trying to make people feel stupid, but you've been telling me and other members our opinions don't matter and whatnot, and frankly you give off the vibes that you think typically 'white gay' music is lesser than the kind of music you enjoy, which is very snobbish to me. I'm Pakistani, not white, do not call me racist again, and even if I were white, that doesn't mean my criticism/disdain of Harry Styles becomes less valid because you think I engage with pop culture in a way which is misogynistic and racist (neither of which applies to Harry Styles by the way).

I hope we can agree to disagree on this matter.

Edited by ithinkheknowsoutsold
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

Alex Turner making those 2 albums is proof that he's not as good of a musician. The genre is interesting and he could've managed to have decent success if he did them correctly. Alas...

The albums did have DECENT success. Just not the MASSIVE success AM had. And it's not surprising given it's lounge music. Unlike Harry, Alex Turner doesn't make music for the charts. 

44 minutes ago, More Than A Melody said:

And the last part is hilarious. He clearly doesn't do what you want him to do, hence why you're on that side of the fence now, and extremely salty about it, might I add. You're just as obsessed with him now as you were all those years ago, it's just negative obsession now, which is concerning for your mental health. I hope you heal from your former favorite artist not fulfilling your Wattpad dreams.

I stopped liking him because I realized he's not that talented and he's also a fake person. The two movies and his behaviour during the promo were beyond embarrassing. He doesn't respect the women he dates and the most important thing: he's a poor songwriter!

I don't find Alex Turner attractive at all yet I'm a huge fan. That's mainly because I like the music he makes. You won't find Harry fans who are fans mainly because of his music. 

2 hours ago, JO1s said:

:deadbanana2:

wait

his stans STILL act like him putting on anything somewhat feminine is solving world hunger?? oh sweetie

Imagine being so tasteless that you like Harry's music but don't like this

He's kind of 70's/80's alternative the way the weeknd is 80's synthpop dds;ldfj he DEFINITELY has a sound. And tbh it looks like it rubbed off on some songs on Dua's last album imo 

Bland, British & supposedly queer 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Relampago. said:

I agree but this video made me wonder

I still find it hilarious that Drake thought he was 'humiliating' or dragging Abel on "Family Matters" with 'Weeknd music gettin' played in all the spots where boys got a little more pride' when this music video exists. Or when he literally said this on a Billboard interview promoting "Starboy" in 2016:

"I tried to find different registers that I hadn't sung in before. I sang a lot of low stuff on songs like "Secrets" and "Rockin'," almost like Toni Braxton. On "Secrets," I'm a different person. I've played it for people, and they have no idea it's me. I even wanted to make an entire album where it was all very "Vogue"-inspired, music like Frankie Knuckles and Chicago house. That was the initial idea for "Rockin'," which is one of the first ones I finished for the album."

He's since deleted the interaction because of the whole 'everything fades' build-up he's been doing on Twitter/X, where everything pre-2019 is gone, but I remember that he retweeted a comment during the release of the "Sacrifice" remix music video directly highlighting the celebration of black queer ball culture and its role in pioneering dance music, something among those lines.

Drake really thought he did something when Abel couldn't care less and is actually perfectly fine with it. :fan:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

He's kind of 70's/80's alternative the way the weeknd is 80's synthpop dds;ldfj he DEFINITELY has a sound. And tbh it looks like it rubbed off on some songs on Dua's last album imo 

Not when he is riding the wave Abel and Dua and Doja have been serving since 2019

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Rose said:

The albums did have DECENT success. Just not the MASSIVE success AM had. And it's not surprising given it's lounge music. Unlike Harry, Alex Turner doesn't make music for the charts. 

I stopped liking him because I realized he's not that talented and he's also a fake person. The two movies and his behaviour during the promo were beyond embarrassing. He doesn't respect the women he dates and the most important thing: he's a poor songwriter!

I don't find Alex Turner attractive at all yet I'm a huge fan. That's mainly because I like the music he makes. You won't find Harry fans who are fans mainly because of his music. 

Rose, give it up. They had incredible success with all their prior projects and they couldn't replicate it with their last two efforts because they fell short. In the span of 9 years they went from having an album that charted for 500 weeks to an album that charted for 13 and didn't reach #1. In the UK where they're worshiped. That's so far beyond "not doing music for the charts."

You're also a massive hypocrite. You think Harry doesn't respect the women he dates yet in the next sentence you say you're a huge fan of Alex, who very openly mistreated all his exes and cheated on the last one. Like, full blown openly affair. With a fan. If you think Harry doesn't respect the women he dates, then you must think Alex despises them. Considering Harry is on good terms with all his exes and Alex only gets on well with Alexa and the other ones hate him. Alex Turner's ex had his name tattooed and covered it with A GRAVE.

Spoiler

Pin by 𝐴𝑟☆𝑏ℯ𝑙𝑙𝒶 on Arctic M♡nkeys | Taylor bagley ...

Truth of the matter is that you turned on Harry a lot, a lot earlier than what you're claiming. I purposefully didn't come to the forum at all in 2022 because I knew it'd be a dumpster fire, and you had already turned. When Harry's House came out you were already coming for him and calling him a queerbaiter. You very openly came for him for his clothes and his aesthetic. And neither of his movies had come out at that point.

You can try to fool yourself, but I was here for your spiral down OHH and you cannot fool me.

I'm a fan mainly because of his music, so...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlight Nation said:

I still find it hilarious that Drake thought he was 'humiliating' or dragging Abel on "Family Matters" with 'Weeknd music gettin' played in all the spots where boys got a little more pride' when this music video exists. Or when he literally said this on a Billboard interview promoting "Starboy" in 2016:

He's since deleted the interaction because of the whole 'everything fades' build-up he's been doing on Twitter/X, where everything pre-2019 is gone, but I remember that he retweeted a comment during the release of the "Sacrifice" remix music video directly highlighting the celebration of black queer ball culture and its role in pioneering dance music, something among those lines.

Drake really thought he did something when Abel couldn't care less and is actually perfectly fine with it. :fan:

That would be because Abel acknowledges art and good music while Drake got what little musical talent he had sucked out of him with his lipo procedure sometime after Scorpion. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

Not when he is riding the wave Abel and Dua and Doja have been serving since 2019

I'm not sure I agree with this. Harry has been riding his own 70s rock + soft rock + pop lane since the 2017 debut. Not to mention "Fine Line" was released around the same period as "Hot Pink", "Don't Start Now", and "Blinding Lights", so I'd actually group it (especially the gorgeous "Adore You") alongside them as what marked a shift in mainstream music to fun, feel-good reinterpretations of old-school sounds.

You do have a better argument for this if you're applying it to 2022's "Harry's House", though. Now that era left to be desired and ended up rather derivative of what his peers were doing, especially Dua Lipa ("Late Night Talking" probably getting a bit inspired by "Levitating" 's chorus, as much as I still enjoy the former regardless) and The Weeknd ("As It Was" essentially taking from "Blinding Lights" ' success formula plus the similarities between "Cinema" and the "Dawn FM" deep cut "I Heard You're Married")

Edited by Moonlight Nation

1 hour ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

You're right, it was presumptuous of me to imply you must be a straight woman, but I stand by everything else I say.

This thread has 110 replies so far, and nearly a fifth of them are lengthy paragraphs written by you trying to defend Harry from all sorts of criticism possible. People here say he has no artistic narrative because they don't like him, not because he actually doesn't have one, and you can't change their opinion on that unless you make them like Harry Styles too. You say that you are not trying to make people feel stupid, but you've been telling me and other members our opinions don't matter and whatnot, and frankly you give off the vibes that you think typically 'white gay' music is lesser than the kind of music you enjoy, which is very snobbish to me. I'm Pakistani, not white, do not call me racist again, and even if I were white, that doesn't mean my criticism/disdain of Harry Styles becomes less valid because you think I engage with pop culture in a way which is misogynistic and racist (neither of which applies to Harry Styles by the way).

I hope we can agree to disagree on this matter.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. This is a forum to debate music. I'm debating music. If the objective of me debating on a forum was to change people's minds, or if I thought was in any way possible, I'd be delusional.

Three years before I even created a user on this forum, there was a thread that was like 15 pages long laughing at how much he was gonna flop when his contract with Columbia was announced. Imagine how much hatred those same people will have now that he's an ultra successful act who has even won AOTY.

I didn't call YOU racist. I legitimately said that I hate the white gay approach to consuming pop culture. And I stand by that. I don't think white gay music is lesser than the kind of music I enjoy, because frankly I like a lot of white gay music. One of my favorite artists is Dua, and she's one of the main artists white gays consume. Perhaps stop making assumptions about me.

And artists like Harry, like Justin Bieber, like Shawn Mendes, do "suffer" from misogyny, not the artists themselves of course, but their fanbases. And often it does translate to prejudice against the artist. The way they're perceived by the media, by their peers, by reviewers, etc. If young girls like art then that art must be mediocre, bland, unserious, etc. The hatred society has for young girls is pathological.

that one stan fighting for their life :suburban:

• Haha 8
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, John Slayne said:

that one stan fighting for their life :suburban:

Good lord y'all are corny. You have 10,000 messages on a music forum. Are they all as useless as this one? Would it kill y'all to engage in a meaningful conversation and exchange of ideas?

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.