How does an artist "build" a fanbase?

Feanor

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KingWitch said:

Its mostly small things like fan interaction, making your fans believe that you actually care about them and being relatable. These are mostly possible when an artists career is still small. 

Problem with Dua is everything feels like a (label) machine. She tried doing the WhatsApp channel thing at the beginning of the era but it was all obviously just her management, there was zero actual engagement of her with the fans. 

I suspect she values her sanity, and if doing what she does keeps that ( seems to have so far) I suspect she'll keep right on as is.

She's a multi millionaire, young woman who appears pretty loved up

in her private life at the moment.  If maintaining that means a few less sales and not pandering to 21st century zero attention span, sad controversy seeking for the sake of it nonsense, I suspect she'll think that's a fair deal.

Edited by Vermouth
  • Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermouth

• Daglazzo

• Pop Art

• Fleahive

Top Posters In This Topic

Dua is honestly a lost cause, as I don't feel she is the type to change how she handles her career as a singer and her personal life just to be the biggest act on the block. Even though she is only on her third album, the length of her eras has taken so long that most other girls are on their 4th era by now.

Tate McRae is the one who should be listening to the points in this thread and progress her career. If she wants to progress her career, she needs to date, sing about her life and also represent a group of people to be her fans. Olivia has the socially awkward, Billie has the sad girl winter, Megan has the hot girl summer and Doja has the messy girls. Who does Tate want as her fanbase and how can she reach out to them and keep their attention on her.

Not all these think pieces from yall when it's probably simply the fact that she's not American like every other name mentioned here and that she makes Euro leaning pop music💀

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

By pretending they identify or like certain people.

Posted (edited)

My perception of Dua Lipa is that she is a good person does ok music (not very relatable emotionally at least imo) and she works hard (I think). But everything I see feels like work, distant and very planed. You get a strong fanbase when people relate to you and/or your music in same way. 

Dua has always been safe. Safe in the music she makes, on her collaborations, on the visuals/mv, the way she presents herself is very safe too she always looks good in events and red carpets but it's always with safe choices. And this shows zero about her personality. I have no idea who she is as a person, what things are important to her, her struggles, her wishes. I have zero emotional connection with the artist.

Artists like Billie, Gaga, Madonna, etc speak their mind. Some people love it, some people hate it, but their fans will be by their side no matter what cause they feel they are on the same side they believe in the same things. Artists like Taylor and Olivia are also on the safer side not looking so controversial to the gp but they use their personal life's on their music and their fans relate immensely to that too.

Edited by Dash_inthedark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

build a relationship with your fans, get involved, be unique but have that sense of relatability about you

ive also noticed that fanbases grow when people find out that artists have fanbases as weird as that sounds

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Dash_inthedark said:

My perception of Dua Lipa is that she is a good person does ok music (not very relatable emotionally at least imo) and she works hard (I think). But everything I see feels like work, distant and very planed. You get a strong fanbase when people relate to you and/or your music in same way. 

Dua has always been safe. Safe in the music she makes, on her collaborations, on the visuals/mv, the way she presents herself is very safe too she always looks good in events and red carpets but it's always with safe choices. And this shows zero about her personality. I have no idea how she is as a person, what things are important to her, her struggles her wishes. I have zero emotional connection with the artist.

Artists like Billie, Gaga, Madonna, etc speak their mind. Some people love it, some people hate it, but their fans will be by their side no matter what cause they feel they are on the same side they believe in the same things. Artists like Taylor and Olivia are also on the safer side not looking so controversial to the gp but they use their personal life's on their music and their fans relate immensely to that too.

Or alternatively Dua is British/Albanian and the rest are American?

I'll expand.  It's the difference between US "restaurant service"which  is generally excellent, but comes over to many Brits as way over the top. Like way over the top. Menu. Take order. Clear off. Leave us alone. I'll ask for the bill (check) when needed.  That's about the level of interaction required, to most Brits.. No more. And that's great. Perfectly fine.

Slightly different cultural take.

Edited by Vermouth

It's the accent it sounds fake tbh idk why

Just now, Fleahive said:

It's the accent it sounds fake tbh idk why

Eh?  

It's not. She has a perfectly normal "educated London" accent. It's fairly neutral to British ears with the odd London giveaway.

Fake it is not.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Vermouth said:

Or alternatively Dua is British/Albanian and the rest are American?

Honestly dont think so. Adele is not American and his extremely successful, her focus is on the music and her lyrics are very relatable so she has fans and gp loves her. Elton John, The Queen, David Bowie, the Beatles all British that succeed in US.  

Kylie Minogue, Sia, Tame Impala are Australians.
The Weeknd and Bieber among others are Canadians and have huge fanbases. Celinine Dion and Alanis Morissete also Canadians.
Just to name a few from the top of my head

People will love artists and their music no matter what the nationality, it's the relatability that makes the difference imo.
Also we are not talking just from the US point of view. I'm from Europe and have this perception of her and if it was just an US problem the rest of the world was streaming her music has usual and numbers say otherwise  

Edited by Dash_inthedark
  • Like 3

I think another important point is that artists with strong fanbases were able to capture a unique moment going on that cemented them as icons. Taylor's diaristic songs were a perfect complement for those teen romcom Disney movies back in the day. Lana and Lorde emerged when the alt/tumblr scene was at its peak and Billie debuted when the Me Too movement was still strong and young women were rejecting femeninity/adopting a tough girl look while dua just had... the pandemic(?)

Third album. 

Posted (edited)

She doesn't interact with her fans 

her music is just for the mass appeal but she didn't cultivate a niche which is harder to appeal. 
she doesn't write, plays an instrument, dances or is a top tier vocalist. In the absence of talent, it's necessary to attract fans through something. Dua is way too reserved and has no viral moments whether it's for her personality or her looks. 

Edited by Dialamba

I'd force her to get on TikTok live 5hrs a day and interact with people and make sure it's as messy as possible so nobody can't stop watching that trainwreck someone must relate to her during those hours 

I like her music but I noticed in many of her interviews, she sounds very word salad/buzzword-y and perhaps a little too safe when answering questions...it's fun pop music, and it's not a requirement to have a deeper meaning to everything on the album. I guess it also harkens back to how relatable an artist is seen in the world...I don't really see myself in the current image she has of vacationing or even the concept of radical optimism (or "toxic positivity" as some people like to call it today). Real life sucks and it's exhausting to constantly put up a strong front and smile when you're going through things.

• Like 1

Follow the example of Lady Gaga (2010-2011) and do the opposite of Lady Gaga (2023-2024). :coffee2:

Tbh she is just missing good music

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MasterExpose said:

I'd force her to get on TikTok live 5hrs a day and interact with people and make sure it's as messy as possible so nobody can't stop watching that trainwreck someone must relate to her during those hours 

Assuming this isn't tongue in cheek, I'd guess, that spending time on tik tok doing fake ass nonsense with a bunch of adolescents just to drive streams would be pretty close to a definition of hell for her.  

This is a  politically engaged, worldly woman running a book club, and a pretty serious podcast, who likes dining in adventurous restaurants across the planet. Probably doesn't fit what's best for sales and marketing in 2024, sure, but when you've got the option of just permanently sailing off on a yacht around the Mediterranean forever with your hot successful boyfriend and enjoying your millions, I guess you've got some choices in life.

Edited by Vermouth

The question should be: does Dua really want to be that engaged? I'm not sure she does and that's totally fine. 

Posted (edited)

Dua Lipa has a fanbase, but the type of fanbase she attracts doing dance-pop and not taking a personal route with her music are us gays, especially older who sees in her a similar pop star figure to the greats they used to stan and are no longer actively dropping music. The only time Dua's celebrity became widespread was with the whole Palestine thing that she used to be very outspoken about. Her relationships are not discussed even with high profile men. She enjoys the privacy

I don't think she's trying to pull audiences from Billie and Olivia, those are bonds built on emotional connection, following an artist, growing alongside them, etc They built their brand from that place from day one. I think the anonymous pop star thing with bops is a very european thing and why I think Team Lipa always saw her Stateside success as fleeting (like for most british artists) and will have no problem settling for the EU and Latin America for future projects with a hit here and there in America.

I don't think she wants to afford the price of being a celebrity in the American way. If you go to the EU she's VERY famous. Her face is in dozens of places and she's an advertising queen, with clear name and brand recognition. But she can still afford some peace of mind in comparison to how being a pop star in the US can truly feel like. She's making choices, we will see if she will stand by them after this new career phase

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Dua Lipa has a fanbase, but the type of fanbase she attracts doing dance-pop and not taking a personal route with her music are us gays, especially older who sees in her a similar pop star figure to the greats they used to stan and are no longer actively dropping music. The only time Dua's celebrity became widespread was with the whole Palestine thing that she used to be very outspoken about. Her relationships are not discussed even with high profile men. She enjoys the privacy

I don't think she's trying to pull audiences from Billie and Olivia, those are bonds built on emotional connection, following an artist, growing alongside them, etc They built their brand from that place from day one. I think the anonymous pop star thing with bops is a very european thing and why I think Team Lipa always saw her Stateside success as fleeting (like for most british artists) and will have no problem settling for the EU and Latin America for future projects with a hit here and there in America.

I don't think she wants to afford the price of being a celebrity in the American way. If you go to the EU she's VERY famous. Her face is in dozens of places and she's an advertising queen, with clear name and brand recognition. But she can still afford some peace of mind in comparison to how being a pop star in the US can truly feel like. She's making choices, we will see if she will stand by them after this new career phase

This sums it up perfectly.

relatability

10 hours ago, Pop Art said:

Follow the example of Lady Gaga (2010-2011) and do the opposite of Lady Gaga (2023-2024). :coffee2:

I was coming for you but then I saw your avi :clown:

4 minutes ago, Daglazzo said:

I was coming for you but then I saw your avi :clown:

She'll always be my #1 but this past 1.5 years or so has been a TEST god damn. 😩

• Like 1

2rqv0i.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.