How Gaga managed to become the biggest pop star on earth with just her debut album?

little legend

it really was a lightning in a bottle moment: 

- first and foremost, a fresh sound and strong material. the fame monster had a flawless singles run

- a larger than life persona + the fashion

- a time when live tv was still big + she's a talented performer and her controversial live performances
- controversial music videos and youtube being massive 

- social media really accelerating at that time + the building of a core fanbase 

- basically everything above being amplified by the internet. her music and persona was accessible to everyone 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrpartyrocker

• Redstreak

• little legend

• AvadaKedavra

TABS

She had it, beyond anyone else. It was like an alien had come from Mars and stepped into the pop scene. Her entire aura was an otherworldly presence - it was incredible to grow up with and witness but it also makes it harder to see how much of that bizarre mystique she's lost as her career has gone on.

Posted (edited)

who else could serve back to back to back to back to back to back music excellence, legendary and iconic visuals & fashion + iconic performances like Lady Gaga?

she was 22 years old and INSANE :WAP:

Edited by MonsterNavy

She was everything everywhere all at once.

I also remember being an 11 year old raging homo I have a folder on my old macbook just for her paparazzi shots cause everytime she steps out of her house/hotel its a pop culture moment cause she was serve high fashion, she was posing for the gawds like she was on america's top model and serving theatrics every damn time :WAP:

I dont think anyone will understand how huge she was back then. everyone's eyes was on her, what is Gaga gonna do next? what outfit is she gonna wear? how extra is her red carpet entrance gonna be? how iconic this award show performance is gonna be? how crazy is she gonna go for the next mv? like it goes on and on and on :WAP:

GaGa had passion!!

lady LinkedIn just a migraine 

7 hours ago, Redstreak said:

Which doesn't address how it has shaped the industry past the time where she was doing her thing. I'd argue Avril Lavigne has a lot more of her early work you can still see the influence of in the upcoming gen despite not making a lot of noise herself past her first few albums

6 hours ago, CoolNebraskaGuy said:

Gaga's legacy transcends pop music trends, but even then, she has considerable impact. Plenty of the newer generation of pop stars cite her as a massive inspiration (Ariana, Billie, Rina, Sam Smith, Troye, Ava Max, etc.). People don't have to directly copy her sound for her impact to be massive. And while there was certainly more at play than just Gaga and Born This Way, she played a massive role in bringing explicitly queer culture into the mainstream. 

Also, the fact that pretty much every record label pre-Adele forced their pop stars into emulating Gaga can't just be dismissed. She literally shifted the paradigm. We certainly aren't going to dismiss this out of hand.

Image result for nicki minaj vmas 2011

katy-perry-four-costume-changes-at-the-m

she also impacted the entire kpop industry that we can still see and hear up to this day

I just feel so thankful that I got to experience this at such formative years of my childhood. Regardless what anybody says about her or how they try to disrespect her then and now, for me she was instrumental in my self image and my musical/cultural tastes. No artist has ever had that effect on me before or since. And there are many, many people who feel the same way. She could never sell another unit or leave her house again and her accomplishments would still be historic, undeniable, and unforgettable. Blessings to this woman for the rest of her life for the happiness and inspiration she brought to the lives of so many people

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Pop Art said:

!!!

This truly isn't talked about enough, and I think the rise of Adele being around the same time goes hand in hand with it. It was like an anti-Gaga movement formed as a reaction to what she was the face of once she reached a certain level of overexposure: Adele for the GP and that sadgirl Tumblr aesthetic for the early stan world.

It's one thing to be so big that other artists try to emulate you, but to also be so massively inescapable that the opposite trend happens once you reach a certain point of societal overexposure is next level impact that few have experienced.

People say Lana Del Rey and Lorde changed the musical panorama in the 2010s and gave birth to all that sad music and the indie movement of 2013-2014 but i disagree with them :giraffe:
Adele did it first. The charts went sad and she was the contra to club music :gaycat1: Then lana and lorde followed

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 7:26 PM, CoolNebraskaGuy said:

Gaga's legacy transcends pop music trends, but even then, she has considerable impact. Plenty of the newer generation of pop stars cite her as a massive inspiration (Ariana, Billie, Rina, Sam Smith, Troye, Ava Max, etc.). People don't have to directly copy her sound for her impact to be massive. And while there was certainly more at play than just Gaga and Born This Way, she played a massive role in bringing explicitly queer culture into the mainstream. 

Also, the fact that pretty much every record label pre-Adele forced their pop stars into emulating Gaga can't just be dismissed. She literally shifted the paradigm. We certainly aren't going to dismiss this out of hand.

Image result for nicki minaj vmas 2011

katy-perry-four-costume-changes-at-the-m

You forgot to mention cardi b, doja cat and bad bunny. 

it's crazy to see how many artists post-2010s cite Gaga as their inspiration. 

also let's not even talk about how she changed the whole meaning of videos. Since her debut, a music video became one of the most exciting experiences in music. Everyone was WAITING and WATCHING her videos. Thinking about the official videos pre-Gaga and how everything changed after her debut.. goes to show her impact! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Because the vision was there.

She had a clear concept on how she wanted to look and sound. She had herself together. :clap3:

Edited by Heldenzeit

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 8:15 PM, Redstreak said:

You literally can't change the industry if you're  serving OUT-OUT by your second album, what echoes of the fame do you see today? For five seconds you had Nicki trying to do a few wild outfits, that's an industry change?

Y'all sound so ignorant when you all post stuff like this, like what happened to reviewing what you type before you post? :rip:

Edited by Blackout2006

Her status as a cultural zeitgeist never translated to the album sales that Britney Spears had in her early years, and she never matched Taylor Swift for that matter either. She needed a 69-cent deal for her sophomore album to break past 1 million sales domestically, and it was a deal that most users probably got for the cloud perks Amazon was giving out rather than the album itself. ARTPOP didn't come close to half of that (barely over a quarter, even), and everything she's done since then has been a fizzle, even with platforms as large as a Super Bowl halftime show backing them up.

Hard to say she was ever the biggest star of the moment. Beyonce and the Black Eyed Peas were biggest names of 2009, and at the VMAs her shock value performance of Paparazzi was overshadowed by Kanye West interrupting Taylor's acceptance speech. Kesha, Rihanna and Katy Perry outshined her singles-wise in 2010 (arguably her peak of popularity). 2011 was all about Adele, and 2012 was where she fell off with Marry The Night flopping into oblivion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.