why is Kesha not valued like the other girls from the 10s?

cyberpunkgoth

Her controversies overshadowed her fun image and music unfortunately. I was a huge fan back then. I hope she can make a comeback one day.

Edited by Onyxmage
  • Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kellebrity98

• TomTom

• cyberpunkgoth

• VioletsandRoses

Top Posters In This Topic

She wasted her comeback opportunity by releasing bad music. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

if Luke wasnt a dick and Kesha hadnt suffered to the point of suing him in 2014 + the Sandy Hook school shooting, Warrior would have been just as successful as Animal + Cannibal if not bigger

plus the 5 years between the 2012 and 2017 albums

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kellebrity98 said:

Gurl she went from RIAA platinum to RIAA rust, GO sold like 8k in the US fw. She had a nice fanbase at debut but she lost many of them during Warrior and you can see that in sales and charts. I like many of her songs, she has a great personality but failed to keep her fanbase together and there's only one reason for that: bad music. Then she had a second opportunity with Praying where she had a great debut but the album overall didn't really stick cause beside the 3 great pre release songs the album tracks were BAD except 1-2 song. High Road dw sales had a 70% fall compared to Rainbow. Look at many great artists who had no viral hits but their record manage to get way more sales and streams and stay stable.

Imagine seriously arguing that the commercial decline of a woman who

• had zero control over any creative choices of her career for her entire peak 
  • was on an involuntary forced hiatus for half a decade due to having to fight against one of the most powerful abusers in Hollywood for a decade 
  • consequentially missed the entire beginning of the streaming era/was unable to properly transition into the streaming era 
  • abandoned her entire prior image, sound and aesthetic 
  • was consistently sabotaged by a management company that did not know how to actually manage a pop star because she was the only pop star in their roaster 
  • was consistently sabotaged by a label that is notorious for mismanaging the careers of established female pop stars 
  • has neither released nor attempted to release a current-sounding mainstream album in…forever 

is caused by "bad music", when 

• her entire discography post-Animal is acclaimed (70+ on Metacritic)
  • Rainbow is the most-acclaimed album of her career (in what world did a #1 album that charted for 34 weeks "not really stick"?)
  • Gag Order is the most well-received album among fans/users of her career that literally ended up on several year-end lists 

There are a million reasons for why Kesha's career trajectory turned out the way it did and none have anything to do with the quality of her music.

Edited by TomTom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

She never built a fanbase, her run from tiktok to timber is still huge, hit after hit.

Rainbow and Gag Order are masterpieces.

• Like 1

idgi kesha carved out her own lane of Uffies, Devs, and KreAydhawns, she had the girls WILDIN'

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

sadly that artistry and talent aren't always translated into commercial success which is what people tend to use to value artists.

now that she's much more independent, does what she wants and hopefully well-managed by new label and management team, it's just the matter of time for her to shine and gain back the recognition. I have a strong belief in that.

Edited by Zahun
  • Like 2

she is by the people who matter! (us Animals :clap3:)

no but being realistic, I think it's cause she's actually the most experimental mainstream popstar to come out of that era. while Gaga also had a diy aesthetic at first, she was always pop-minded. Kesha's diy aesthetic was punk/rockstar and she was always shouting out classic rock and glam as her biggest influences. she never fit into a pop mold! while people like Gaga and Rih were able to experiment with fashion while still fitting into a popstar mold (don't get me wrong, that's a FEAT to behold!), Kesha never struck that balance. she was always into pop as a means to secure a fanbase who'd notice her underlying alternative sensibilities, and when she finally got SOME of the freedom she'd always been pushing for with Warrior, it was a bit much and alienated the most mainstream audiences. their loss though, cause her authenticity shines :michael: you know, I remember back in the day, when Die Young was about to be released, Kesha described it as a "campfire hippie jam" which makes me think that there are definitely even more demos than we think existing somewhere… cause that song is pure 2012ed electropop 

• Like 3

Love love love Kesha but I think there's two reasons why she never had a lasting impact. Her music kinda stagnated and never evolved (this wasn't her fault obviously) and she had no generational appeal. If you were between the ages of like 13-25 then Kesha was huge in your circle. Songs played at parties, during school dances, when hanging out with friends… but that's it. She was never able to capture the mass public's attention in the same way Gaga or Katy did. 

• Like 1

I like me some Kesha but she kinda came and went. She had one really big era and then faded rather quickly. 

She just didn't have what it takes to make an impact culturally.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Because Tik Tok is basically her only famous song and to be honest the song is bigger than the artist

Spotify this recent Friday 

TiK ToK - 1,019,357

Timber - 1,014,334

Right Round - 635,252

Die Young - 530,911

:suburban:

Edited by tomo
  • Like 2

In 10 years time she will be thought of  as a one hit wonder even if she had multiple hits, people only remember tiktok

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I don't think her career was sabotaged.

I just think her early music is extremely dated, it's definition of the early 2010's dance-electronic sound which doesn't make you listen to it again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

People saying she wss a flash in the pan despite knowing that dr. Puke sabotaged her career because she bravely came forward about him :biblio:

Die young was set to be massive but got pulled from radio along with pumped up kicks.

but anyway. Kesha has a bright career ahead of her and charts or no charts, shes finally free and im beyond happy for her and proud to stan her. She deserves the world and has proved she is more than what anyone thought of her at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because by the time her sophomore effort was released, she had already been underperforming.

Posted (edited)

I love her but objectively, aside from the Dr. Luke situation: she doesn't have a memorable career and her "hits" aren't as well remembered as those of her former peers. Her hits like Timber were kind of faceless actually. She never built up a strong fanbase, she relied on gimmicks that became dated fast, she mostly died with the electropop trend. The quality of her music also declined drastically after Rainbow which hurt her a lot.. she failed to show growth and become a more "timeless" artist like Gaga did. 

I honestly just hope she's happy.

Edited by concubine
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 4/30/2024 at 12:10 PM, CaptainMusic said:

She was never on Gaga, Katy and Rihanna's level and I'm tired of people acting like she was.

She had one global smash and a few other local hits, then declined by her sophomore album. 

Maybe I'm bias because I live in the US but there was a period of time where she was absolutely on their level even if it was brief

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Parallel said:

Maybe I'm bias because I live in the US but there was a period of time where she was absolutely on their level even if it was brief

Yeah, she was huge in 2009/2010.  

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.