why is Kesha not valued like the other girls from the 10s?

cyberpunkgoth

She was already bombing by her second era. The other "2010s girls" you're thinking of probably had much more longevity. 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kellebrity98

• TomTom

• cyberpunkgoth

• VioletsandRoses

Top Posters In This Topic

Because even though she had hits, they were a product of their time so they came and went, only TT has managed to stay. She wasn't a big celebrity either at least compared to the likes of Rihanna, Katy, Gaga, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She was considered a novelty act in the early days. Contemporary music critics are reevaluating her work.

Yeah she is the definition of a flash in a pan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

Even at her peak in 2010 she was considered a tier below Gaga, Rih, Katy

The problem definitely wasn't that she was "faceless," she actually had a strong brand as a carefree sleazy party girl. If anything that brand may have turned some consumers off from her and hurt her album/touring stats, which were never on par with the top girls of that time period. And ofc she didn't have longevity which has more to do with what was going on behind the scenes

I mean...she only has 3M followers on her Instagram.

She was left behind in the early 2010s.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 4

I disagree. People always mention how pivotal are Katy,Lady Gaga,Kesha,Rihanna for electropop. 
They mention Adele,Lana Del Rey,Lorde too for Alt music.  Her songs on tiktok from her early eras got big traction. 
I seen youngsters in love with her aesthetic

The ones who are forgotten and were pretty big in the 2010s are meghan trainor,halsey and camila cabello

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

She was never on Gaga, Katy and Rihanna's level and I'm tired of people acting like she was.

She had one global smash and a few other local hits, then declined by her sophomore album. 

Her hits sold more than Loud and GGGB digitally in the US+Australia and some Asian countries, but she did pretty bad outside that.  Tik Tok is also much bigger than any Rihanna, Taylor or Katy song. It sold almost 18 million copies which only Adele,Carly and Gaga managed to do. Thats not even including her features right round and timber. 
I guess it's because most atrlers are from Europe, where she didn't do well outside Tik Tok. Her hits were massive in the US, Australia and South Korea. On top of that her album sales were very bad. Her debut only did 1.5m in the states with all the hits+2.5m WW.  

She was a product of the time and not really respected for what she delivered during her peak. In a way that work is somewhat faceless but years afterwards she definitely developed. It's unfortunate it was a result of what she had to endure but it hasn't made as much impact. 

Monsters will always remember her though. 

:ryan3:

Edited by Triton

2 hours ago, kellebrity98 said:

she owned that year but her next albums and single choices were terrible except die young and praying

"Her choices" = Dr. Luke's choices.

2 hours ago, perfect blue said:

She's literally the definition of a flash in the pan fad... Female Taio Cruz but with less impressive stats.

59 minutes ago, popstyle said:

She was a thing of that time and that was it. There's nothing iconic about her. She'll never have commercial success again. 

The shameless lies :bibliahh:

OT:

This is a very important question that absolutely needs to be asked. Many Kesha fans are often wondering the same thing.

Realistically, I agree with several of the suggestions in here, notably 1) her comparably low celebrity status, 2) her rather controversial image at the time and 3) the ticking time bomb that was Dr. Luke.

Nevertheless, all of these things can not justify the outright Kesha erasure I'm often seeing on places like this one and social media (case in point: Kesha repeatedly being edited out and replaced by Ariana Grande in that 2010 pic of her with Gaga/Katy/Rihanna that keeps going viral).

The notions in here of Kesha being some sort of female Taio Cruz are outrageous and revisionist. While Kesha wasn't quite on the same level as Gaga/Katy/Rihanna and kinda occupied the "underdog" space at the peak of her career with respect to her peers, the early 2010s MPG foursome still consisted of Gaga, Katy, Rihanna and Kesha. Pretending otherwise is foolish.

I am convinced that we are seeing a reevaluation of Kesha's legacy and that Kesha is slowly but steadily receiving the recognition she deserves for all the reasons that @wigglytuffer laid out perfectly.

In addition to what has already been said, I might add the ever-growing number of artists that cite Kesha as an influence (Hannah Diamond, Flo Milli, Renée Rapp) as well as obvious attempts to create a 2020s Kesha (Kim Petras, Snow Wife). Personally, I'm hearing Kesha's influence in Chappell Roan's music and Olivia Rodrigo's last album as well.

Furthermore, Pitchfork re-reviewing Animal with a significantly higher score a few years ago shows that more attention is slowly being directed at the fact that Kesha has always been a pop pioneer in many ways.

With the lawsuit finally being over and Kesha's exemplary personality coming stronger to light (see the P. Diddy lyric change in TiK ToK, for example), there seems to be even more grounds for a continuing postive reevaluation of Kesha's impact and career. 

It also can not be denied that Kesha has a true passion for music that is not self-evident when you look at what some of her peers are doing. 

Kesha is one of the most versatile female pop stars and top-tier songwriter with a unique touch that still hasn't been replicated to this day. It's overdue that this is being acknowledged.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, perfect blue said:

She's literally the definition of a flash in the pan fad... Female Taio Cruz but with less impressive stats.

Taio Cruz has 2 hits, while Kesha has at least 10. Even if they were local. The delusion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Sadly her run was sabotaged. A shame cuz Rainbow and Warrior are two of my favorite albums of 2010s. 

Spaceship is still that song.

• Like 2

she had an entire machine working against her for years 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

She was never on Gaga, Katy and Rihanna's level and I'm tired of people acting like she was.

She had one global smash and a few other local hits, then declined by her sophomore album. 

This. People love to compare Katy to Paula Abdul, but Kesha fits that comparison much better. :dies:

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

lack of recent hits which means she never really stayed in the public consciousness. one of the reasons is the Dr Puke sabotaj of course

Because Tik Tok is basically her only famous song and to be honest the song is bigger than the artist

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

3 hours ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

Warrior and Rainbow are excellent albums, especially Warrior.

I disagree. Warrior and Rainbow has many misses, many fillers and a generic pop sound that anyone could sing. The sales, the tour sales underperfomance and the acknowledgement of those records were poor. Debut opened many many opportunities for her but she chose the safe way. If those records were excellent then it would stand the test of time and come up in threads, twitter but that's not the case.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Animal will be referenced for years. Its okay to have only a huge iconic era (cyndi lauper)

I don't think she was ever seen as a serious artist

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Apart from the music being dated… the trashy white girl Electro rap don't really vibe with todays youth. Even the noise music today, isn't really utilizing EDM. It's all overbearing hip-hop drill and trap TikTok noise. Maybe thier will be a revival of that sound and vibe one day

24 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Because Tik Tok is basically her only famous song and to be honest the song is bigger than the artist

18 minutes ago, kellebrity98 said:

I disagree. Warrior and Rainbow has many misses, many fillers and a generic pop sound that anyone could sing. The sales, the tour sales underperfomance and the acknowledgement of those records were poor. Debut opened many many opportunities for her but she chose the safe way. If those records were excellent then it would stand the test of time and come up in threads, twitter but that's not the case.

Literally not a single word in both of these comments is true :rip:.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

2 hours ago, Facelessboy said:

Sure it didn't last long but neither did Gaga & Katy.

Brainlessboy

• Haha 1

I think she's actually really great at what she does, but without the marketing machine giving it all a platform and reach, audiences drifted off.

If she was more television compatible, she could have pivoted into a television personality or even a social media presence, but that didn't happen for her.

Her career is very similar to Flo Rida's. 

Just now, TomTom said:

Literally not a single word in both of these comments is true 

Gurl she went from RIAA platinum to RIAA rust, GO sold like 8k in the US fw. She had a nice fanbase at debut but she lost many of them during Warrior and you can see that in sales and charts. I like many of her songs, she has a great personality but failed to keep her fanbase together and there's only one reason for that: bad music. Then she had a second opportunity with Praying where she had a great debut but the album overall didn't really stick cause beside the 3 great pre release songs the album tracks were BAD except 1-2 song. High Road dw sales had a 70% fall compared to Rainbow. Look at many great artists who had no viral hits but their record manage to get way more sales and streams and stay stable.

• Thumbs Down 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.