Fantano: TTPD 3/10; Anthology 5/10, says Taylor blatantly copied Lana, Olivia, Ariana

Diesel is Desire

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackout2006

• PoisonedIvy

• Raspberries

• McNulty

32 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

The point is why are you talking about critical acclaim when Britney has one of the most universally panned catalogs of any major pop star :rip: And Rihanna isn't much better

No WAY you are comparing a pop artist who came out at a time when poptimism was a pipe dream, and Y2K pop music, especially of the teen-pop branch, was abhorred by rock-leaning music critics who considered it the downfall of music :rip: Also, one of the most universally panned catalogues of any major pop star?... Britney's albums between 2000-2011 have mainly positive reviews (excluding revisiting btw) and her last album had a 72% score. Can you point out any album released by her pop contemporaries in this time that has a higher score than OIDIA (72%)? Taylor's average Metacritic score between 2006-2012 (pre-poptimism) is around OIDIA's score :rip::rip:  Please do not act like TTPD would not see the pits if it came out anywhere near 2000. If Britney Spears was being brandished as the force behind the destruction of music at the turn of the century; the wolves you had for critics in those days would not hesitate to call Taylor Swift the Walmart's version of Joni Mitchell and even worse, and you'd have nobody to call them out for it :bibliahh: The disingenuous comparisons never stop. Just be happy your fave is at her prime in a more favourable era for pop artists, paved by artists such as Britney herself :ryan: 

32 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Relishing in the fact that Poets is still more acclaimed than every Britney Spears album ever and all Rihanna albums sans ANTI :rip: 

Relishing? Quite the word to use, considering Taylor is relishing the benefits of being a pop artist at poptimism's phase of oversaturation, and in an industry where pop albums are not viewed as commercial fodder anymore. :rip: :rip: :rip:

29 minutes ago, sunbathinganimal said:

Britney, Rihanna and GaGa

Literally :bibliahh: All of them did what they had to do in their times and are living their lives with intact legacies, why are the swifties so pressed? 

Edited by Blackout2006

24 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

No WAY you are comparing a pop artist who came out at a time when poptimism was a pipe dream, and Y2K pop music, especially of the teen-pop branch, was abhorred by rock-leaning music critics who considered it the downfall of music :rip: Also, one of the most universally panned catalogues of any major pop star?... Britney's albums between 2000-2011 have mainly positive reviews (excluding revisiting btw) and her last album had a 72% score. Can you point out any album released by her pop contemporaries in this time that has a higher score than OIDIA (72%)? Taylor's average Metacritic score between 2006-2012 (pre-poptimism) is around OIDIA's score 

Plenty of pop stars/female acts managed to get acclaimed albums in that time period :rip: Madonna, Mariah, Celine, Shania, The Chicks, etc. They didn't make teen pop simply because that genre is terrible :rip:  

Oops! - 72

Britney - 58 :rip:

In The Zone - 66

Blackout - 61

Circus - 64

Femme Fatale - 67

vs

Fearless - 73 (won Album of the Year)

Speak Now - 78 

Red - 77 (nominated for Album of the Year)

1989 - 77 (won Album of the Year)

Add this on top of a total of ONE Grammy (for Best Dance Recording no less) and you have a panned catalog not taken seriously by anyone other than her fans. Even when pop stars were getting acclaimed albums and winning general Grammys, Britney couldn't get out of the 60s and was never taken seriously. 

36 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Please do not act like TTPD would not see the pits if it came out anywhere near 2000. If Britney Spears was being brandished as the force behind the destruction of music at the turn of the century; the wolves you had for critics in those days would not hesitate to call Taylor Swift the Walmart's version of Joni Mitchell and even worse, and you'd have nobody to call them out for it :bibliahh: The disingenuous comparisons never stop. Just be happy your fave is at her prime in a more favourable era for pop artists, paved by artists such as Britney herself :ryan: 

You're arguing hypotheticals now. Taylor and Joni have nothing in common other than being autobiographical songwriters. They make completely different kinds of music and always have :deadbanana: Britney paved the way for absolutely NOTHING critically. She has never had an acclaimed album by critics standards other than Blackout being liked by Rolling Stone (and it's because of the same person that was lashed for the 5 star Poets review :toofunny3:)

38 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Relishing? Quite the word to use, considering Taylor is relishing the benefits of being a pop artist at poptimism's phase of oversaturation, and in an industry where pop albums are not viewed as commercial fodder anymore. :rip: :rip: :rip:

Yes, girl. You're here posting 5-10 times in a row celebrating the fact that this album is in the 70s on MC despite it still having a higher score than every single Britney Spears album ever recorded

I suggest going on Indeed and finding a job 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

On 4/23/2024 at 4:33 AM, flower moon said:

taylor after hearing this:

g0Rh9Cl.jpg

If you wanted me dead, you should have just said

emo GIF

she's been ripping off Lana since 2014

• Thanks 3

On 4/24/2024 at 9:08 AM, Raspberries said:

You are a Gaga Stan first and foremost. But I'm not surprised you're hiding behind a more relevant female musician

fergie-ok.gif

you stan a singer that cannot SING

fergie-ok.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LIDDOATIN said:

you stan a singer that cannot SING

fergie-ok.gif

Did this help you cope with Lady Gaga's career as a pop star being over for over a decade?

fergie-ok.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Raspberries said:

Did this help you cope with Lady Gaga's career as a pop star being over for over a decade?

fergie-ok.gif

NOPE.. and you still stan a SINGER that cant SING or compose melodies.. maybe she should just start writing poems for white teenage girls about being a victim and daydreams for crushes, princes, knights 

fergie-ok.gif

• Haha 4

if i wanted a mediocre bald white mans opinion i'd ask my father

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LIDDOATIN said:

NOPE.. and you still stan a SINGER that cant SING or compose melodies.. maybe she should just start writing poems for white teenage girls about being a victim and daydreams for crushes, princes, knights 

fergie-ok.gif

Lady Gaga literally makes up words and babbles in gibberish in multiple songs and you eat it up so wrdgaf about your opinions on songwriting, especially since Gaga hasn't written herself a hit for just herself in, again, over a decade. Enjoy your 12 tour dates in small baseball stadiums and incel pandering films you get every few years 

fergie-ok.gif

• Thumbs Down 2

10 hours ago, Raspberries said:

Plenty of pop stars/female acts managed to get acclaimed albums in that time period :rip: Madonna, Mariah, Celine, Shania, The Chicks, etc. They didn't make teen pop simply because that genre is terrible :rip:  

The Chicks are pop?... That's new information :rip: How does it make sense to compare the mature efforts of Madonna, Mariah, Celine, and Shania to teen-pop albums put out by a teenager? You don't think the former albums put out by adult-contemporary artists would have a better reception than an album produced to appeal to teenagers? :rip: :rip: 

Also, please actually read what I said:

Can you point out any album released by her pop contemporaries in this time that has a higher score than OIDIA (72%)?

Her pop contemporaries are not Madonna, Mariah, Celine, and Shania, please give me a break :rip:  

Oops! - 72

In The Zone - 66

Blackout - 61

Circus - 64

Femme Fatale - 67

vs

Speak Now - 78 

Add this on top of a total of ONE Grammy (for Best Dance Recording no less) and you have a panned catalog not taken seriously by anyone other than her fans. Even when pop stars were getting acclaimed albums and winning general Grammys, Britney couldn't get out of the 60s and was never taken seriously. 

This is not what a panned catalogue is pls :skull: Can you point out how many times Britney's pop peers were nominated during the years of these aforementioned album releases for Album of the Year?

You're arguing hypotheticals now. Taylor and Joni have nothing in common other than being autobiographical songwriters. They make completely different kinds of music and always have :deadbanana: Britney paved the way for absolutely NOTHING critically. She has never had an acclaimed album by critics standards other than Blackout being liked by Rolling Stone (and it's because of the same person that was lashed for the 5 star Poets review :toofunny3:)

:rip: You're just a Google search away from realizing that's blatantly false:

Retrospective critical reviews, however, have praised Blackout and noted its strong influence on the music of the late 2000s and early 2010s. Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone described it as "one of the most influential albums in modern pop".[102] In a retrospective review published in 2017, Alim Kheraj of Dazed called the album "one of the most inventive pop records in recent history", the record that "forevermore proved that [Spears'] career was way more than just an 'inept pantomime'[.]" Kheraj also said that the album "was the result of a hazardous moment in pop culture history that saw a serendipitous and symbiotic relationship between an artist eroding her past and producers forging their future that payed [sic] off."[103] Publications such as Billboard, The Fader, Nylon and Vice have regarded Blackout as Spears' best effort to date. In 2022, Elise Soutar of PopMatters noted the album "feels fresher than ever 15 years on".

Listings for Blackout
Publication Year List Position Ref.
Billboard 2007 Readers' Choice – Top Ten Albums of 2007
Idolator Critics' Best Albums of 2007
The Guardian 2007's Best Albums
The Observer 2007: The Best 50 Albums
Rolling Stone Top 50 Albums of 2007
Slant Magazine Top Albums of 2007
Rock's Backpages 2009 Best Albums, 2000–2009
Rolling Stone The Decade-End Readers' Poll
The Times Best Pop Albums of the Decade
The Guardian 2013 Writers' 500 Favorite Albums Ever
2019 The 100 Best Albums of the 21st Century
Rolling Stone 2020 The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Even Sputnik gave the album a 4/5 pls. There hasn't been any effort to weave retrospective reviews on Blackout into its aggregate score. 

Yes, girl. You're here posting 5-10 times in a row celebrating the fact that this album is in the 70s on MC despite it still having a higher score than every single Britney Spears album ever recorded

I suggest going on Indeed and finding a job 

Dude, I stan other critically acclaimed artists but ofc you cherry-picked the two "odd-ones out" to have a gotcha moment. Btw, I can like Rihanna AND Britney Spears and still kii about TTPD's Metacritic score, unless you're implying stanning certain artists subjects you to being viewed as "inferior" or "superior" which is lowkey concerning (it's not that serious :biblio:). Critics are capricious, and heavily influenced by the zeitgeist of their eras. This is not a controversial statement. :toofunny2: 

Also, I'm not an adult.

Edited by Blackout2006
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 11:10 PM, Blackout2006 said:

I'm surprised Lorde wasn't mentioned because I felt as if I was sometimes listening to outtakes from Melodrama many times. There is this one song on the album that even felt like a copy + paste of Supercut. :rip:

Jack sped up "Supercut" and turned it into "I Can Do It with A Broken Heart" and you might not be the first person to notice.

https://www.tiktok.com/discover/lorde-supercut-taylor-swift-i-can-do-it-with-a-broken-heart

• Like 1

I guess thw swifties have yet to get to him. 

Or he has really good security 

On 4/23/2024 at 6:08 AM, Karmaisacat said:

Is Taylor is ripping off Lana then why can't I get through a single Lana album since BTD? 

Girl I- what do you even mean by this :ahh: :ahh: :ahh: 

This is so funny when "Tortured Poets Department" is a direct copy of "Mariners Apartment Complex". I completely agree with this guy review and the swfities in here crying would never accept such thing. 

22 hours ago, Raspberries said:

Oops! - 72

In The Zone - 66

Blackout - 61

Circus - 64

Femme Fatale - 67

vs

Speak Now - 78 

You must be a teenager to be lying and lacking understanding of what a pop star or Britney peers were.

Mariah's average score from Glitter to Me.. I Am Mariah is literally 52/100. And that's coming from an Emancipation Stan. That album would score 90 in 2020 and not be snubbed all of its Grammys today.

Celine & Shania were regularly dragged during that time frame too. Taking Chances (2007) scored 53. Shania is typically panned too, Up! matches Oops! score as her highest. The Chicks were Grammys bait, not comparable nor "pop stars". And Madonna, not only way older than Britney but also took her hits on American Life, Hard Candy, etc.

So where was the acclaim? As for her actual pop star peers at the time?

Christina Aguilera - mixed to negative

Stripped - 55

Back to Basics - 69

Bionic - 56

Lotus - 56

Dangerously in Love - 63

BDay - 70

I Am.. Sasha Fierce - 62

The rest are not even worth mentioning the reviews were so negative and low, as you can even see from acclaimed singer Xtina. But just to give you an actual idea of how numbers looked for them and not listing a bunch of girls from the ******* 1980s.

Taylor came in hot with a narrative, an aesthetic and when critics began to turn on automatically dumping on every pop/major female album. And Grammys are literally a game.

You want to see a panned discography? Besides Christina, check out Katy or Jessica Simpson. You don't have a panned catalog while also being celebrated and revered still 9 years into retirement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McNulty said:

Both Pitchfork and Fantano dragged the album :fan:

And what, it's not like the GP and Grammy voters care about that

16 hours ago, PaloSanto said:

if i wanted a mediocre bald white mans opinion i'd ask my father

ur father knows who taylor swift is? mine doesn't. My father's musical knowledge ended in 1989. 

1 hour ago, YellowRibbon said:

And what, it's not like the GP and Grammy voters care about that

Discrediting every bad review won't make the album any better also nobody gives a s-hit about the Grammys for years now

6 minutes ago, McNulty said:

Discrediting every bad review won't make the album any better also nobody gives a s-hit about the Grammys for years now

But they care about fantano? :toofunny3: And a certain recent album made it clear someone very much cares about a Grammy 

Edited by Redstreak
  • Thanks 1

As a Lana stan, she absolutely didn't "copy" Lana. Is Lana influence there? Sure. It's there in tons of artists work. But the title track certainly isn't a copy of MAC. Those two lines are similar sure, but the songs are entirely different. 

Every Taylor album release continues to remind me how shocked I am that anyone still gives af what any critic says/thinks. I could not give less of a **** what Fantano thinks about anything. If your thoughts on any music release are even slightly informed by the thoughts of any critic, YOU are the problem.

13 hours ago, Letemtalk said:

Jack sped up "Supercut" and turned it into "I Can Do It with A Broken Heart" and you might not be the first person to notice.

https://www.tiktok.com/discover/lorde-supercut-taylor-swift-i-can-do-it-with-a-broken-heart

YEA this is the song but not only does it sound similar, he simply sped it up and did some tweaking? I can't believe him :rip: Supercut sweetie

No one knows who this man is. These self-important nobodies on youtube acting like they're the authority on music.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.