Fantano: TTPD 3/10; Anthology 5/10, says Taylor blatantly copied Lana, Olivia, Ariana

Diesel is Desire

1 hour ago, ImpressMeMuch said:

add them together to get 8/10!

716a39a50adb-gettyimages-1637208780.jpg

counting is fun!

716a39a50adb-gettyimages-1637208780.jpg

• Haha 4

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackout2006

• PoisonedIvy

• Raspberries

• McNulty

12 hours ago, vale9001 said:

The olivia rodrigo comparison. I have read everything :bibliahh:. This album have been made way more than guts. Olivia Rodrigo doesn't have any kind of personal sound. There is literally nothing sounds like that if not "piano ballads".

Of course true for Lana. She is really inspired by her but makes pop songs from it. 

Your posts are always such an LOL moment :rip:

• ATRL Moderator

The Jack critiques are fair but some of these are dumb.  She's openly inspired by Lana but she isn't ripping her off on this album because she sings in her lower register.  And as for the "copying Olivia/Ariana", Taylor wrote these songs before those came out.  And even if she didn't, they're not the only ones allowed to write about that stuff!  Besides, Ariana's felt more aimed at the media where Taylor's feels more aimed at fans/listeners.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of Lana's music but I do love what Taylor's done with the sound. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952db2oas7rvj4mlfnp2zw

3 hours ago, ForgottenSoul said:

You people act like Taylor went out of her to have a similar sound to anyone of them when she really has no need to? 

If anything she copied her self 

Also, Jack worked with Lorde,Lana is it really a surprise he has a similar sound? 

Taylor has been copying Lana since Wildest Dreams :rip: 

She can only wish to be as talented as Lana though.. Lana is too complex and isn't afraid to write about true messed up trauma not some high school romances, holding hands and meeting behind the mall. :rip:

Edited by Richie.Valdez
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• ATRL Moderator
25 minutes ago, Jay07 said:

It's not just the lower register, Lana's songs have been very quiet, intimate, almost stream of consciousness on her albums post NFR and I think Taylor is trying to emulate that vibe but it's just not working. Lana's songs are honestly harrowing, speaking about her mental health, her family, death, medication, her deepest most innermost thoughts and fears. Taylor is honestly too narcissistic and too superficial to go that deep so it just ends up sounding hollow plus she uses this bizarrely flowery language that I think she thinks sounds literary but it just makes everything sound like a middle schooler using a thesaurus. Lana is so direct and almost uncomfortably confrontational, she rips those wounds open. Meanwhile Taylor talks about Matty Healy and Kim Kardashian.

Stream Kintsugi.

See I disagree.  Their writing styles are super different, and Lana has some songs where she's straight up giving a stream of consciousness like Fingertips.  There's an element of unfiltered venting to Taylor's stuff on this album but she's never gone that unfiltered.  I guess I can see the influence, but I see the differences between their styles and don't see it as "ripping her off".  

I get him. I really respect Taylor and enjoy some of her albums, but I still haven't finished this one, which is not a good sign for me personally. There are just too many moments that throw me off in almost every single song.  That Charlie Poop line alone almost made me want to rip my eardrums out 

However, the Swifties seem to love it which is very obvious looking at the numbers. 

I wonder how this can be explained though, cause I haven't seen it happening with another album or artist in the way that it's happening now. It's quite puzzling. 

Edited by ontherocks
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Diesel is Desire said:

The song imgonnagetyouback - Olivia Rodrigo literally already did this same wordplay concept on get him back! with her latest record.

They're actually both copying Fiona Apple, but Fantano is too clueless to know that 

• Like 1

Just now, MissedTheTrain said:

See I disagree.  Their writing styles are super different, and Lana has some songs where she's straight up giving a stream of consciousness like Fingertips.  There's an element of unfiltered venting to Taylor's stuff on this album but she's never gone that unfiltered.  I guess I can see the influence, but I see the differences between their styles and don't see it as "ripping her off".  

I don't think it's ripping off either, that's just buzzwords to get clicks. But I do think she is influenced by her to mixed results. I said it in a different post but I think Taylor is at her best when she sticks to the big pop hooks and not when she tries to go more freeform and confessional like on this album.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

"Lana recorded this song that was never released and Taylor copied it" ??? This is a conspiracy theory at best. We have no evidence Taylor hears Lana's unreleased music. We also know the main reason Taylor veered into folk-adjacent songwriting is because of her love for "The National" and her reaching out to Aaron Dessner. The through-lines are very public knowledge.

And Taylor did not "accessorize" Lana at the Grammys :deadbanana4: They're friends who attended and enjoyed the evening together, and since Lana wrote on the album Taylor brought her on stage for the win, which was the lesser of two evils when compared to the alternative of letting her remain seated where people could have fumed about -that- even more than they fume about her being invited on stage.

Recorded the song and then sent it to Taylor's long term collaborator to rework. 

He's right and actually still too nice to her. 

Lana is a FAR superior lyricist and song creator than TS sorry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ohhhh TS12 is about to be Rep 2.0 :jonny5:

1 hour ago, Vespertine said:

They're actually both copying Fiona Apple, but Fantano is too clueless to know that 

olivia obviously took the concept from this cause she's openly praised and supported fiona. but taylor has never mentioned fiona, and the anthology was probably recorded after GUTS release

6 hours ago, TitanicSurvivor said:

His moustache receives 0.5/10 from me and so? Does this worth its own thread?

his legs receive 10/10 from me and worth too many threads

At least Fantano talked about the songs instead of rating Taylor's persona.

2 hours ago, Jay07 said:

It's not just the lower register, Lana's songs have been very quiet, intimate, almost stream of consciousness on her albums post NFR and I think Taylor is trying to emulate that vibe but it's just not working. Lana's songs are honestly harrowing, speaking about her mental health, her family, death, medication, her deepest most innermost thoughts and fears. Taylor is honestly too narcissistic and too superficial to go that deep so it just ends up sounding hollow plus she uses this bizarrely flowery language that I think she thinks sounds literary but it just makes everything sound like a middle schooler using a thesaurus. Lana is so direct and almost uncomfortably confrontational, she rips those wounds open. Meanwhile Taylor talks about Matty Healy and Kim Kardashian.

Stream Kintsugi.

We've reached a point where people can get away with this kind of drag about Taylor, but something much less offensive about that lady on a horse can result in instant WPs.

These nobodies becoming reputable critics because they give bad reviews to big artists just for clicks. Embarrassing! I'm not even reading it. It just feeds their ego. The title alone made me cackle.

3 minutes ago, SharGaga said:

These nobodies becoming reputable critics because they give bad reviews to big artists just for clicks. Embarrassing! I'm not even reading it. It just feeds their ego. The title alone made me cackle.

He has been doing reviews for a while and he's not that bad, but some of his analysis are atrocious like this one:

Seven years later, he admitted that he was wrong about MAYA:

To say that Taylor is ripping off Olivia and Ariana just proves he has no business critiquing music. :rip: 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SharGaga said:

Not you acting like he does not give positive reviews to big artists all the time

He just feels like this album sucks and he is not alone in that opinion. Taylor needs to stop working with Jack for awhile, his obession with washed out, cheap 80s production ages her music poorly. The anthology stuff with Aaron Dessner is much stronger, hopefully negative reviews help push her into a new direction for the future

Edited by 4th Time Around

2 hours ago, Richie.Valdez said:

Taylor has been copying Lana since Wildest Dreams :rip: 

She can only wish to be as talented as Lana though.. Lana is too complex and isn't afraid to write about true messed up trauma not some high school romances, holding hands and meeting behind the mall. :rip:

Talking about artists copying as a little monster :toofunny3: Truly unhinged

• Haha 1

Mkay I watched the second video (and suffered through that awful character again) and agreed again with everything, but y'all are actually here accusing him of misogyny lololol. Unreal. He said Jessie Ware's What's Your Pleasure was literally his album of the year in 2020…. 

5 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

Mkay I watched the second video (and suffered through that awful character again) and agreed again with everything, but y'all are actually here accusing him of misogyny lololol. Unreal. He said Jessie Ware's What's Your Pleasure was literally his album of the year in 2020…. 

and 2019 was Charli XCX's self titled:rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.