Fantano: TTPD 3/10; Anthology 5/10, says Taylor blatantly copied Lana, Olivia, Ariana

Diesel is Desire

4 minutes ago, SweetOreosOfHeaven said:

he's given most Lana albums great scores, including a 9/10 to her latest effort

Ultraviolence was her best album up until NFR & Tunnel. He reevaluated it saying he was too harsh originally and STILL only gave it a 4. His opinions are unreliable more often than they are valid. As a music critic you should be able to admit when you were wrong if you're revisiting something, and yet he did not because he is prideful and pious.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 7

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blackout2006

• PoisonedIvy

• Raspberries

• McNulty

3 minutes ago, lillavend3r said:

The fact he has praised taylor several times but he's only misogynist when he badly reviews her :oh: y'all need to look up what misogyny really means and realize y'all fave weaponized that to shelter herself from criticism

He's always been a misogynist, unrelated to Taylor. Even -when- he praises Taylor, he's still a misogynist and his opinions aren't credible. I don't do white feminism so don't try to derail my point.

Also his version of "praise" for Taylor has always been condescending. But that's neither here nor there.

Edited by PoisonedIvy
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, Sugden said:

i need to know the score

Same, I think is going to be a strong 5!:gaycatney4:

Is Taylor is ripping off Lana then why can't I get through a single Lana album since BTD? 

make it make sense 

also ripping off Olivia Rodrigo? Wtf is even that? Olivia is a mix of Taylor, Lana and every other millennial girly before her 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 21

4 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Ultraviolence was her best album up until NFR & Tunnel. He reevaluated it saying he was too harsh originally and STILL only gave it a 4. His opinions are unreliable more often than they are valid. As a music critic you should be able to admit when you were wrong if you're revisiting something, and yet he did not because he is prideful and pious.

ultraviolence is not this masterpiece you're putting it out to be lol… you can enjoy it but it isn't even close to her recent efforts

he revisited something and still didn't like it, a music critic shouldn't lie either lmaooo

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 8

Side note; I didn't know Jack was from FUN. :eek:

He's incredibly brave for saying Taylor copied Olivia :deadbanana4:

I'm scared for his life right now. 

Edited by Johnny Jacobs

2 minutes ago, lillavend3r said:

She literally ripping off the folky singer songwriter stuff (NFR, Chemtrails, Ocean Blvd) don't flatter her, Taylor could never pull a BTD 

So Taylor can't do folky singer stuff without it being a rip off? What happened to trying different genres? Did she copy the melody, lyrics or is just that genre off limits to her for some reason?  

He spilled. The album is bad. But that character he does is not funny 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, punisher said:

ultraviolence is not this masterpiece you're putting it out to be lol… you can enjoy it but it isn't even close to her recent efforts

he revisited something and still didn't like it, a music critic shouldn't lie either lmaooo

UV absolutely is a masterpiece, there's a reason it's highly acclaimed and widely considered her best album up until NFR. Like, you can't hear West Coast, Shades of Cool, Ultraviolence, Cruel World,

Old Money, etc and tell me that album is a 4 out of 10. Not to mention his score for Preacher's Daughter by Ethel Cain? The man wouldn't know good music if it smacked him up side the head.

Anyway music is subjective and critics are historians if nothing else, so they at least need to get your references right and, to claim Taylor is copying Olivia, who is quite bluntly a carbon copy of Taylor with sprinkles of Lorde, Avril, and Lana stirred in, is ludicrous. 

4 minutes ago, lillavend3r said:

Taylor does though:dies: 

She does and I'm aware of that. That has nothing to do with her music, which is what critics should critique. Not the person/celebrity/businesswoman.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, lillavend3r said:

Taylor does though:dies: 

She literally ripping off the folky singer songwriter stuff (NFR, Chemtrails, Ocean Blvd) don't flatter her, Taylor could never pull a BTD 

Naming 2 albums that came after folklore & evermore :rip: And the one album that came before them isn't "folksy" at all, it's got so much alternative rock influence.. like Taylor isn't out here making copies of Venice ***** or Doin Time (as much as I wish she were) :rip: She absolutely is influenced by Lana but that doesn't mean she's copying anything these days. The two occupy pretty different lanes, sonically & lyrically & vocally. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, LVP said:

He better hide his big thighs cause Swifites are coming for him!

he can hide his **** and ***** in my mouth for safekeeping :gaycat1:

o.t. DADDY spilled too hard i'm afraid

FWzD6LrWYAEO19E?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha 4

The man who gave FETCH THE BOLT CUTTERS a 7? :rip:

7 minutes ago, popmusicisdead said:

FWzD6LrWYAEO19E?format=jpg&name=medium

he's giving typical atrl taylor swift hater energy 

Edited by kellebrity98
  • Thumbs Down 1

23 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

He's always been a misogynist, unrelated to Taylor. Even -when- he praises Taylor, he's still a misogynist and his opinions aren't credible. I don't do white feminism so don't try to derail my point.

Also his version of "praise" for Taylor has always been condescending. But that's neither here nor there.

You called him now three times a misogynist, but still no receipts for him being one. Maybe you are just bitter:gaycat2:

• Haha 3

Im always here for some Jack Antonoff wacking, let me step aside so they wack him again :suburban:

4 minutes ago, xperience30 said:

The man who gave FETCH THE BOLT CUTTERS a 7? :rip:

Thank you, I knew I was forgetting another of his crimes!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Zaram said:

You called him now three times a misogynist, but still no receipts for him being one. Maybe you are just bitter:gaycat2:

If you're familiar with his videos you'll understand he does not respect the female point of view. He invalidates and undermines it more often than not. It's just a pattern you pick up on when you watch enough of his critiques. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

Naming 2 albums that came after folklore & evermore :rip: And the one album that came before them isn't "folksy" at all, it's got so much alternative rock influence.. like Taylor isn't out here making copies of Venice ***** or Doin Time (as much as I wish she were) :rip: She absolutely is influenced by Lana but that doesn't mean she's copying anything these days. The two occupy pretty different lanes, sonically & lyrically & vocally. 

I mean tbf there are songs on them that were written in and before the NFR sessions so their point still stands.  Yosemite on COCC was literally recorded in 2016. The comparisons are there, and they are valid. The way TS accessorised LDR at the Grammys should tell you that she'll have no issue lifting inspo from her. Especially seeing as she remade the Ride MV for IKYWT 

Just now, Joesuxx said:

I mean tbf there are songs on them that were written in and before the NFR sessions so their point still stands.  Yosemite on COCC was literally recorded in 2016. The comparisons are there, and they are valid. The way TS accessorised LDR at the Grammys should tell you that she'll have no issue lifting inspo from her. Especially seeing as she remade the Ride MV for IKYWT 

"Lana recorded this song that was never released and Taylor copied it" ??? This is a conspiracy theory at best. We have no evidence Taylor hears Lana's unreleased music. We also know the main reason Taylor veered into folk-adjacent songwriting is because of her love for "The National" and her reaching out to Aaron Dessner. The through-lines are very public knowledge.

And Taylor did not "accessorize" Lana at the Grammys :deadbanana4: They're friends who attended and enjoyed the evening together, and since Lana wrote on the album Taylor brought her on stage for the win, which was the lesser of two evils when compared to the alternative of letting her remain seated where people could have fumed about -that- even more than they fume about her being invited on stage.

There are some spills there. Mostly about Jack. Their partnership is stale and holding her back.  

Not really sure about the copying aspect? Most of the music sounds like a rethread of her own work. I guess this album's lyrics has a sense of self-deprecating wittiness that Olivia leaned into with Guts. 

• Like 2

How is she copying Ariana and Olivia??

She has been talking about breakup and cheating before they even debuted

This is forced hate

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, PoisonedIvy said:

He's a raging misogynist who couldn't make an album if he tried, and his opinions are wrong more often than not. This is the man that gave Ultraviolence a "4" but I'm supposed to believe he respects Lana and wants to defend her artistry? Yea sure ok 

…he gave Lana's most recent album a 9

people really need to stop crying "misogyny" every time Fantano gives a pop girl a bad score. He's praised the latest works of Beyonce, Mitski, Caroline, The Last Dinner Party, and Olivia, just to name a few. He isn't a misogynist because he hated TTPD :toofunny3:

and it's not like he hates Taylor. He gave Folklore and Evermore 7s.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Diesel is Desire said:

Ariana already wrote the angry at my audience for dragging me over my boyfriend anthem-of-the-year with yes, and?

Not even a defense of Taylor, but this is stupid? The 'people can talk, but I will do whatever I want' theme has been done by literally almost every pop artist that has ever held a microphone :rip:

Anyway, similar to Hasan Piker, I'm convinced people who give this man's opinion any value (besides maybe having a fetish for bald heads) are morons.

• Like 5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.