Honest question, what do you like / dislike about Taylor's music?

St. Charles

I honestly love her earlier work. From love story ( and our song even) all the way to Reputation which was incredible imo. After that she relied too much on a clear narrative and storylines.....sexism, feminism, famous boys, and a vendetta to tear a producer or what's his name down. To me her artistic vision was compromised as the push in the media was very woman vs an evil man and we ALL HAVE to support her otherwise we are cast out as SEXIST. 

It's like gathering every pop fan and person out there and saying that Britney Spears' upcoming album HAS to be successful otherwise you are siding with human trafficking. Because this is her first album without the control. Like what if the music just wasn't good? 

Either way though. I think she's a great human being and an artist overall. I mean Style is one of the best pop songs of all time. Her Stans though ....that's another story. Lol. 

Oh I also really don't think it is fair to have 2 versions of the album packaged differently and DOUBLE COUNTED. Obviously she's going to be boosted sales wise. It's smart and I support it. But it isn't fair to compare her other artists in terms of overall sales. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• St. Charles

• The7thStranger

• Cruel Summer

• Blumoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Like: Great gowns, beautiful gowns

Dislike: Everything else

• Haha 2

I like her pop stuff, she was good at that. Now her songwriting got too pretentious and the production is just boring, it has been similar for years at this point

She occasionally comes up with a decent hook and melody, especially in her more stripped down songs.

I can't stand her version of "quirky" or "bad *****" (Gorgeous, Karma, Nice Things, Bad Blood etc) and the wordiness in her recent stuff

Taylor reminds me of Val from Daria the more time goes by.

• Haha 2

Her tone and production consistently are lacking.  Her music is one note and elementary.  Too many castles, and high schools and gorgeous boys.  She hasn't experienced much, is not curious about the world around her

and the listener can tell.

She is sold as this amazing lyricist when her albums are full of cringy, teen girl level composition.  Artists like Frank Ocean and Solange run laps around her in that category.  I couldn't see her pulling off a Solo or Cranes in the Sky.

She also does the burn book thing where she blasts other artists for their personal issues.  That would be cool if she wasnt so transparent about it.  That new Kim song felt like a dog whistle and thats nasty af.  Katy Perry was right about her.

Edited by Blumoon

Mediocre lyrics, mediocre vocals, mediocre melody

20 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

I stan taylor cause her songwriting and the way she express her emotion speaks to your soul. She's also able to convey stories very well
She goes an extra mile and is detailed with the experiences and her feelings.
Its like someone reading my mind deepest thoughts and some past experiences and makin them music
Sometimes she fails but sometimes her songs can be real powerful
I also stan her cause her music feels very "american" to me and im a latino whos' very in love with american culture.
I also stan her cause her melodies are great and her voice is very pleasant and she knows how to use it properly to give substance to the songs.
Her vocal tone. If an artist has a bad vocal tone is hard for me to stan them...taylor has a soft cutesy voice
I also like her classyness and poised personality  and how beautiful she is. She looks like a princess from one of those german fairytales. 
I used to downplay her in her first eras even if i was a fan but then i saw her shine and potential :giraffe:

You like her bc she seems American and like a princess.  Yea, her music makes sense for the audience.

I understand that a big factor in liking her music seems to be relating to it, but for me that's not enough. My favourite songs by Taylor have been ones that I don't think anyone would say represents her style overall: Bad Blood and Look What You Made Me Do. And I enjoy(ed) both at the time because they simply were fun, boppable songs that did the job they needed to do. But there are tons of songs like that out there from artists I do not listen to in full.

For me, I just don't like the point-of-view she brings to most of her writing, and if she's not known as a very talented singer, or great performer (beyond her energy), then there's not much left for me to enjoy in the context of the music itself. And in fact the qualities of her writing that have been inherited by other artists like Olivia Rodrigo are qualities I don't enjoy in their music as well. I find the hyper-specific-diary-entry style to be a bit laborious and perhaps even uninspired. To me, it just often feels like forced quaintness that wants to be cleverness and that's another reason I'm not too big a fan of her poetry, it often feels like the ideas, metaphors, or similes are what should exist before the final draft was made: edited into stronger lines or edited out to make the stronger lines have more impact, only the final draft is just all those things.

To each their own though, and I generally never discuss my opinions on her as I don't think one needs to go out there and put down things others love just because you personally don't get it. (And on ATRL so often that is done not out of genuine criticism but because you want to put down someone else's fave in some discussion/comparison to your own). But in the context of this thread, here it is.

Edited by swissman
  • Like 1

The Simpsons GIF

Her philanthropy for charities that help her fans learn how to read and write through annual Reading times and Spelling Bees.

Dislike

Macys Parade Wonder GIF by The 97th Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Her friends are annoying, her questionable past and her new music is bland and overpraised.

Edited by Phaunzie

6 minutes ago, swissman said:

I understand that a big factor in liking her music seems to be relating to it, but for me that's not enough. My favourite songs by Taylor have been ones that I don't think anyone would say represents her style overall: Bad Blood and Look What You Made Me Do. And I enjoy(ed) both at the time because they simply were fun, boppable songs that did the job they needed to do. But there are tons of songs like that out there from artists I do not listen to in full.

For me, I just don't like the point-of-view she brings to most of her writing, and if she's not known as a very talented singer, or great performer (beyond her energy), then there's not much left for me to enjoy in the context of the music itself. And in fact the qualities of her writing that have been inherited by other artists like Olivia Rodrigo are qualities I don't enjoy in their music as well. I find the hyper-specific-diary-entry style to be a bit laborious and perhaps even uninspired. To me, it just often feels like forced quaintness that wants to be cleverness and that's another reason I'm not too big a fan of her poetry, it often feels like the ideas, metaphors, or similes should be cut out before the final draft was made, edited into stronger lines or edited out to make the stronger lines have more impact, only the final draft is just all those things.

To each their own though, and I generally never discuss my opinions on her as I don't think one needs to go out there and put down things others love just because you personally don't get it. (And on ATRL so often that is done not out of genuine criticism but because you want to put down someone else's fave in some discussion/comparison to your own). But in the context of this thread, here it is.

Yeah I feel the same way, specifically with Olivia Rodrigo. I want to like her music but there's something about her "talk-singing" that puts me off. It kind of sounds like someone wrote the lyrics first and then just freestyled them over an instrumental track for the verses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kimbra said:

Taylor reminds me of Val from Daria the more time goes by.

:rip: Wait...

if i'm listening to a pop girl i want to listen to singers with good vocals and interesting melodies 

I mainly like dance music, uptempo songs. I need a song to be catchy and have a great melody. I could not care less about poems. I also do not enjoy Taylor's tone. Nothing against her but she is the exact opposite of what I enjoy.

Her stuff is often weak in melody, and when her music is melodious, the lyrics are often not it (Wildest Dreams for example is just simpering along with the delivery). I also love strong vocals, or unique vocals, she has neither. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.