Leigh-Anne - "Forbidden Fruit"

The Slayer

Just now, zeta said:

A cute bop

Is this a polite way of saying it's forgettable and no better than her current music ddd? :dies:

• Haha 3

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tbhmatt

• The Slayer

• alexaalto

• glitch

1 minute ago, tbhmatt said:

Is this a polite way of saying it's forgettable and no better than her current music ddd? :dies:

I don't think it's as epic as My Love but I like it more than Don't Say Love. Like I said before, it's a cute bop but middle of the album track-y vibes instead of single vibes if you get what I mean

32 minutes ago, zeta said:

I don't think it's as epic as My Love but I like it more than Don't Say Love. Like I said before, it's a cute bop but middle of the album track-y vibes instead of single vibes if you get what I mean

I'm glad that she's still consistently releasing music and I've enjoyed all of the songs so far to varying degrees but she really needs to release something that PUNCHES. Her music has been good (in my opinion) but nothing that really stands out or sets her apart, sadly. 

• Like 1

Not long until I can listen and give my verdict…

Yeah this was terrible lol

that second verse is really nice! but i hate the chorus. her vocal on it is annoying. it feels demo-ish just like Stealin' Love did.

• Like 1

Terrible. She has no chance at a career. 

• Haha 1

It's not as terrible as the snippet made it out to be but it's faceless and her worst offering yet. 

yeah this is meh, its not bad at all I just don't see me going back to this.  on a positive note though, stealin love has really grown on me and is v good methinks

Posted (edited)

It's fine, second verse is cute and was elevated by the harmonies/bvs. It doesn't really go anywhere though, I think it's probably my least favourite of her songs so far. I don't hate it but can't see me replaying this much. 

Edited by tbhmatt

#4 on New Music Friday UK 

She's on the cover of Essence (609k saves) and Stealin' Love is the #1 track and Forbidden Fruit is #11

I will give this time to grow on me but I think one of my biggest gripes is it sounds a bit empty, almost like it's still in demo format 

11 minutes ago, tbhmatt said:

#4 on New Music Friday UK 

She's on the cover of Essence (609k saves) and Stealin' Love is the #1 track and Forbidden Fruit is #11

I will give this time to grow on me but I think one of my biggest gripes is it sounds a bit empty, almost like it's still in demo format 

Interesting. They're pushing this when Stealin Love didn't really get a push if I'm correct? Interesting to see if this misses the top 100. 

I like the song. Don't hate it. It's only two minutes long so it's easy to replay, doesn't really go anywhere though. Verse - chorus and repeat then ends. 

The songs subject isn't really easy listening to me personally - it is a song about cheating which is an uncomfortable and unrelatable subject for me and many others. It also imo glorifies this and almost tries to justify the cheating. Makes me feel a bit icky. 

• Thanks 1

The worst part of the song is when she sings forbiddeeeen forbiddeeeeen Fruit 

The rest of the song COULD have potential to become a cute album track but it sounds like a Demo 

I dont want to listen to more songs of hers if they are on the same level as this or the previous one 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WERKER said:

Interesting. They're pushing this when Stealin Love didn't really get a push if I'm correct? Interesting to see if this misses the top 100. 

Stealin' Love got a few RnB playlist placements on release day and she was on the cover of a few pop playlists when it dropped, I also think it had a similar placement on NMF too? It seems that they're trying to cement herself as an RnB artist at the moment, most of her playlist support is from RNB playlists. I think they've abandoned the "huge global pop star" ambition they had prior to her debut

1 hour ago, WERKER said:

The songs subject isn't really easy listening to me personally - it is a song about cheating which is an uncomfortable and unrelatable subject for me and many others. It also imo glorifies this and almost tries to justify the cheating. Makes me feel a bit icky. 

Honestly this, it disgusts me! Like girl Andre had a house and a dog with his partner at the time and you had a boyfriend!!!

Just being so proud about cheating is not it.

I absolutely hate the 'forbidden forbidden fruit' part, it is so jarring!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WERKER said:

I think it's because they didn't expect Stallin' love to flop as much as it did.

Shes desperate to make this song a 'hit', which is fair as an artist but I wish she was releasing good material.

IMG-7779.jpg

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, The Slayer said:

SO the message is 'I dont care if it hurts people, I'm gonna take you anyway and thats beautiful'? Yikes

The song is meh at best :coffee2:

Edited by Mr.X
  • Thanks 1

I tried to listen again but I just can't get through it.

• Confused 1

The best part of the song is the "devil in a dress had you powerless, knew it wasn't right soon as we left… together" part

As for the whole song, I just can't get over how… empty it sounds? It just sounds like a demo, like they had an idea but couldn't figure out how to flesh it out properly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Slayer said:

The video is at least better than Stealin' Love, but I'm surprised she's doing such little choreography herself? Her backing dancers did most of the heavy lifting, I spent more time watching them than I did her.

I actually think that the song is well written and is melodically strong in the verses, chorus doesn't quite hit though. It's the production value that is really letting her down though, all of these songs just sound like half finished demos. 

I don't want to complain too much because at least she's releasing music consistently which is exactly what I said she should be doing, but the music just isn't HITTING. I really, really hope the rest of the EP tracks pack more of a punch..

• Like 1

her bts pics/teasers from this era has been great tho:flame:

Also, if it was me personally, I would have committed more to the "Eve and the Apple" aesthetic in the music video, the song name/topic and the single cover very much lean in to that and I feel like they could have expanded a bit more of that in the video and would have given the video a stronger narrative. This breaking the fourth wall and showing that they're just filming in a basement studio somewhere isn't doing it for me lol, it just makes the videos look cheap.

I get they're probably on a restricted budget, but a bit of set dressing or outfits in keeping of the theme at least would have been a nice touch. That's just me personally, though. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tbhmatt said:

Also, if it was me personally, I would have committed more to the "Eve and the Apple" aesthetic in the music video, the song name/topic and the single cover very much lean in to that and I feel like they could have expanded a bit more of that in the video and would have given the video a stronger narrative. This breaking the fourth wall and showing that they're just filming in a basement studio somewhere isn't doing it for me lol, it just makes the videos look cheap.

I get they're probably on a restricted budget, but a bit of set dressing or outfits in keeping of the theme at least would have been a nice touch. That's just me personally, though. 

Agree with this, an outfit change and some props would've added so much value. I like the song though but it's so short, I get this awful trend of having short songs to get more streams but we needed a bridge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.