Cher, Mary J Blige, Ozzy, Foreigner & more for Rock N Roll HOF class of 2024

Fitzswiftie

Just now, Ace Reject said:

The first two albums are major enough - both have made previous RS 500 lists; she notably performed "Mandinka" at the 1988 ceremony in solidarity with the rap categories not being aired on television. Those albums alone influenced most of the women who started in the 90s - Alanis and Foo Fighters did "Mandinka" live once she passed. I think she falls in the Kate Bush lane - very clever and right to pick her as the next one in that lane before they got to Bjork or Tori. 

She's absolutely a noteworthy figure in music whose advocacy was monumental, but the nomination does feel slight to me in comparison to others. I'm glad she's getting her dues though.

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• Ace Reject

• Achilles.

• Jay07

Didnt Cher just drag the rock hall? hmmm

On 2/11/2024 at 6:18 AM, Katamari said:

now why is Peter frampton here? 

On 2/13/2024 at 5:51 AM, Jay07 said:

Who the **** is Peter Frampton and how is he second in the vote?

23 hours ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

Not Peter Frampton  top 2.

Peter Frampton is big with the guitar playing classic rock people who probably have quite a lot of influence here.

His Frampton Comes Alive! album was huge in the 1970s, considered a legendary rock album and often appears on "Greatest Live Albums of All Time" lists.

He's almost certainly getting in.

• 2 months later...

Edited by RealityBites
  • Like 1

Mariah snubbed and good luck getting Cher there 

• Like 1

OMG Mary got it! Didn't think she would, so happy for her :clap3:

Really surprised that Mariah didn't get in though, I thought they'd go for her over Mary tbh

So Happy for Cher. 

So Deserving ... 

DJ Play a Cher Song 

Also glad Mary J Blige and Dionne Warwick made it 

Edited by MichaelW

happy for Cher and also some good r&b artists getting in Mary J Blige and Kool And The Gang. also Dionne Warwick and Big Mama Thornton  getting in with the secondary categories . maybe we can thank Doja for that since she sampled both of them.

Edited by jdanton2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ecstatic for Mary J. Blige, Cher, Big Mama Thornton and Dionne Warwick. Once again,  way too few women inducted. This would and should have been the perfect year to induct Mariah. 

Edited by Hector

I don't get it why is there always a list and then it changes. Are people voting? Who votes? 

• ATRL Moderator
On 2/15/2024 at 9:45 AM, Ace Reject said:

Yeah, the fan vote is often misleading - IIRC last year, only George Michael (number one) and Willie Nelson (number six) were actually inducted. What the fans want (classic rock/few women/no black artists, unless they do "rock") and what the voters want (a populace that is skewing more Gen X heavy with each increasing year) are often two very different things. (Pat Benatar was first nominated in 2019, topped the fan vote, but didn't get in until her second ballot in 2022.)

I think there are three near locks - Cher, Ozzy, and Mariah.

After that? I think there's a slot for one classic rock act (Peter Frampton OR Foreigner, but not both), one 90s rock band (DMB or Oasis, but NOT both), one R&B band (KATG or Sade, but NOT both), and then a wildcard slot for the last position - I'd lead towards Tribe taking 7th place.

I was wrong about one of those locks, I see!

Cher! Cher! Cher!!! :johnald:

Why are some of the inductees not on the nominee list? Did they write in artists names?

Mariah snub was expected, but Eric B. & Rakim, Sade and Jane's Addiction deserved more than some people who inducted.

And Big Mama Thornton and Dionne Warwick should've got in first year of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

YESSSS Cher, Mary  :clap3:

A shame they snubbed Mariah though  :shakeno:

• Like 1

Aww, I had a feeling Mariah wasn't getting it. Her and Mary cancel each other out and they never pick more than a couple of women per class. Add to the fact that she isn't particularly a critical darling and yea...

• Like 2

MARY JANE BLIGE!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Tribe is so deserving

this was a great year for inductees, hopefully Mariah & George can get inducted soon 

• Like 1

Poor Mariah 

So happy for MJB, Dionne, cher, ATCQ & K&TG... but no Mariah has me really sad :weeps: 

• Like 1

Someone said it's usually 7-8 each year. Why is there 16 this year?

On 2/10/2024 at 5:05 PM, KatyPrismSpirit said:

the fact that mariah carey, mary j blige and sade havent been inducted yet but missy elliott has been is crazy

Missy was a pioneer so she deserved it, but i agree that Mariah, Sade deserved also. Mary J will be inducted.

:clap3:Dave Matthews Band and Cher deserved.

Sade and Mariah also should have been in this batch, tbh.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.