• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suburbannature

• Ace Reject

• Achilles.

• Jay07

Finally- Mariah's for sure going to be a shoe-in and its more than deserved. Glad to see Cher there and rooting for Kool and the Gang, Tribe and Mary!

I was hoping Dionne or Diana would make the list this year but this year has a respectable batch. 

36 minutes ago, GreatestLoveofAll said:

Finally- Mariah's for sure going to be a shoe-in and its more than deserved. Glad to see Cher there and rooting for Kool and the Gang, Tribe and Mary!

I was hoping Dionne or Diana would make the list this year but this year has a respectable batch. 

She’s not even in top five in voting so far, don’t think she’s a shoe-in. 

7 minutes ago, Elusive Chanteuse said:

She’s not even in top five in voting so far, don’t think she’s a shoe-in. 

Whitney wasnt top five during her run either and she was practically the only guaranteed inductee her year alongside Biggie. 

30 minutes ago, Junlin said:

What Mariah doing in the list? :suburban:

Yeah, only the dominant artist of the 90s, one of the biggest female artists in history that's still going strong almost 35 years later, no big deal. Let's put Oasis fad there instead.

• Like 1

Rooting for the ladies especially Mariah, Sade and Cher!

• Thanks 1

nawt to virtue signal, but I voted for ONLY the women :clap3: 

• Thanks 1

Who the **** is Peter Frampton and how is he second in the vote?

Oh wow, this is an ensemble list!! :WAP:

Rooting for Sade the most, but I'd be satisfied with any and every artist from this crop being honored, they are all deserving! :clap3:

• Like 1

how will they ever choose honestly all of dem r legends

i really need Eric B & Rakim to go in before anyone else from hip hop does

i need Sade THE BAND to get in as well

Mariah & Mary as well jus cuz of da impact

possibly K&TG, but i can also see how Ozzy & Peter gets in

GF_pUbmWwAAzqiN?format=jpg&name=900x900

this is Sade 

On 2/10/2024 at 1:36 PM, Nashe said:

yo I know, but there's a fan voting there lol

I mean, your vote is also not entirely useless, either.  IIRC, the top 5 fan vote-getters get like an extra vote or something like that (idk exactly how it works, but it always reminds me of the DWTS voting procedures lol).  So while the reward for all that voting is very small -- since I doubt inductions are decided often by a single vote -- there is supposed to be a benefit to winning the fan vote (provided they actually do what they say ofc).

Anyway, you can see the standings here (apparently they're doing a top 7 this year): https://vote.rockhall.com/standings

Mariah and Cher finally  :jonny5:

Also great for Lenny, Sade, Mary, Oasis  :clap3:

Does anyone know how many acts will be inducted this year?

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Green said:

Does anyone knows how many acts are been inducted this year?

There will be 7. 8 if there's a tie/the last two are close enough in votes. 

31 minutes ago, Ace Reject said:

There will be 7. 8 if there's a tie/the last two are close enough in votes. 

Do you think Mariah and Cher have a chance this year? They are in the top 7 (fan vote) but the fans votes probably don't matter that much.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Green said:

Do you think Mariah and Cher have a chance this year? They are in the top 7 (fan vote) but the fans votes probably don't matter that much.

Yeah, the fan vote is often misleading - IIRC last year, only George Michael (number one) and Willie Nelson (number six) were actually inducted. What the fans want (classic rock/few women/no black artists, unless they do "rock") and what the voters want (a populace that is skewing more Gen X heavy with each increasing year) are often two very different things. (Pat Benatar was first nominated in 2019, topped the fan vote, but didn't get in until her second ballot in 2022.)

I think there are three near locks - Cher, Ozzy, and Mariah.

After that? I think there's a slot for one classic rock act (Peter Frampton OR Foreigner, but not both), one 90s rock band (DMB or Oasis, but NOT both), one R&B band (KATG or Sade, but NOT both), and then a wildcard slot for the last position - I'd lead towards Tribe taking 7th place.

• Like 1

Not Peter Frampton  top 2.

There’s no way lol 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ace Reject said:

Yeah, the fan vote is often misleading - IIRC last year, only George Michael (number one) and Willie Nelson (number six) were actually inducted. What the fans want (classic rock/few women/no black artists, unless they do "rock") and what the voters want (a populace that is skewing more Gen X heavy with each increasing year) are often two very different things. (Pat Benatar was first nominated in 2019, topped the fan vote, but didn't get in until her second ballot in 2022.)

I think there are three near locks - Cher, Ozzy, and Mariah.

After that? I think there's a slot for one classic rock act (Peter Frampton OR Foreigner, but not both), one 90s rock band (DMB or Oasis, but NOT both), one R&B band (KATG or Sade, but NOT both), and then a wildcard slot for the last position - I'd lead towards Tribe taking 7th place.

Yes, fan vote only counts as a single ballot, I believe.

And I'm not sure if Mariah will make it this year - maybe they just go with Cher for the diva slot? 

Sinead's nomination is a bit puzzling to me. I know she passed within the last year, but she truly was a one-hit wonder (with a cover song) with only one top 50 song and one platinum album. She didn't have other low-charting songs that crossed over into the zeitgeist despite charting history either. NC2U was a huge smash and a wonderful song, but is that worthy of a hall of fame nom competing against true legends of music?

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, suburbannature said:

Yes, fan vote only counts as a single ballot, I believe.

And I'm not sure if Mariah will make it this year - maybe they just go with Cher for the diva slot? 

I think they're both too big to fail.

Under the new leadership (which started in 2021?), there have been more soloists than bands inducted - and the past three years have seen at least three women/female acts inducted. I don't expect either trend to change! Cher and Mariah are both "pop divas," but virtually share no base in terms of music - there will be a lot of classicists who vote for Cher because she started in the 60s; conversely, a lot of Gen X members were either there or have come around to Mariah.

Funnily enough, the pitfall they both share is that there are a number of straight white men who do not and will not "get" them - in their case, I think they're happy this is not a preferential ballot!

• Thanks 2

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, suburbannature said:

Sinead's nomination is a bit puzzling to me. I know she passed within the last year, but she truly was a one-hit wonder (with a cover song) with only one top 50 song and one platinum album. She didn't have other low-charting songs that crossed over into the zeitgeist despite charting history either. NC2U was a huge smash and a wonderful song, but is that worthy of a hall of fame nom competing against true legends of music?

The first two albums are major enough - both have made previous RS 500 lists; she notably performed "Mandinka" at the 1988 ceremony in solidarity with the rap categories not being aired on television. Those albums alone influenced most of the women who started in the 90s - Alanis and Foo Fighters did "Mandinka" live once she passed. I think she falls in the Kate Bush lane - very clever and right to pick her as the next one in that lane before they got to Bjork or Tori. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.