The user scores of TTPD are horrible everywhere. What happened?

Digitalism

2 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

do you agree, you were just looking to stir the pot and get Taylor dragged and not looking for an actual discussion :heart:

No. I am just wondering, what makes you think, this album is interesting? Seriously, people doesn't rate it well for some reason, I want to know about second point of view.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Digitalism

• WildHeart

• americanshameless

• dejmieeen

This album was straight up recycled content from either her older albums or other artists albums. And because nobody besides Taylor Swift is greedy enough to purposely release 31 songs and market it as a "surprise" double album for the sake of looking organic and trying to break Adele's first week sales record, listeners realized Taylor catfished them with an album full of filler tracks that offer nothing new to their ears :dies:

Additionally, the next and last 2 re-recordings will inevitably pull in much lower units because nobody other than her fans are looking for a Reputation TV or Debut TV :sorry: Eras tour wrapping up in the next year or so.. her peak will be closing off very soon.

• Like 11
  • Thumbs Down 3

Just now, dejmieeen said:

No. I am just wondering, what makes you think, this album is interesting? Seriously, people doesn't rate it well for some reason, I want to know about second point of view.

To me, as a long time fan, this album encapsulates everything Taylor is great at. She's an amazing songwriter, really good at creating catchy melodies (at least to my ear) and sticking to a concept. This is everything I could have hoped for. Gives me the same mess that Red gave me but with a more adult and modern sound. Adding that I like Jack's productions. 

I get why some non fans might be thrown off, but the hate this album is getting is kind of ridiculous. Judging by what I've been reading, you'd think this is the worst album to ever exist. 

• Like 4

The bigger the star the easier the target, that's all. Everyone's getting their shots in however they can. This too shall pass :clap3: 

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 3

14 minutes ago, SLUTTVFTV said:

it simply doesn't resonate with anyone outside the fanbase. it doesn't have a hit someone can latch onto. it's good writing, and objectively a good album, but you have to know the lore to get it, and no one *should* make that effort for an album. it should just be good. i like it, but she should switch it up for TS 12, if she sticks with this formula the critics and fans will NOT be as generous.

What makes an album objectively good? Cause to me normal average art is objectively bad

• Like 1

Jack Antonoff sabotaged her.

26 minutes ago, BabyBenzz said:

doubt most people even truly listened, she is just so big now and it's very popular to hate on her again... not that it's making a difference for her success thank god

This is not true at all

The reviews keep growing and the score keeps going down.

It's not just haters running.

Also why didn't they hate the previous albums released last year? Just accept that people outside the swifties don't like it

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Vaccines work

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, BabyBenzz said:

doubt most people even truly listened, she is just so big now and it's very popular to hate on her again... not that it's making a difference for her success thank god

This is it I guess.

She's is at a point where her success and dominance are extremely disproportionate to the actual talent and quality of the material, so naturally she will garner more negativity than before. 

I don't think she would would receive as much animosity if she was still at 1989/reputation levels of success, where she was still very succesful but it was relative to the other acts around that time. Now she's so ahead of everyone else that all eyes are on her and the cracks in her marketing strategy are showing and rapidly catching up to her. It's not making a difference in her success, at least for now, but the public opinion on her is becoming wildly different than how it was when she released Midnights. 

11 minutes ago, Mornings said:

What makes an album objectively good? Cause to me normal average art is objectively bad

Art can be objectively good when it is professionally curated imo. Most of Beyoncé's art is -objectively- good, like there's just no actual denying that, but I'd say I only connect with about 30-40% of it subjectively. 

4 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

This is not true at all

The reviews keep growing and the score keeps going down.

It's not just haters running.

Also why didn't they hate the previous albums released last year? Just accept that people outside the swifties don't like it

because people did not hate her back then like they do now, but it started with Midnights and 1989 TV.. and now people get reminded every single day that Taylor Swift is the biggest artist on the planet and offends them for some reason, so eventually all the haters are going to read about the album's success and will decide to review bomb it because that's the only thing they can do lol.. because leaking her album didn't work and might have even contributed to it's never seen before success:ahh:

• Confused 1

Coz snoozefest 

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

It’s an inaccessible album to the masses. Only her fans are going to care enough to really pull apart the story, which is not straightforward since everyone really expected this to be a heartbreak album about a six year long relationship and it’s not that. 

But, it’s also insanely popular to hate her now because of how popular she is. I’ve seen plenty of reviewers drag the album and they mostly just talk about her celebrity and not about the music. So, it’s not surprising the reviews are this polarized. 

• Like 1

Red was honest and fresh 

1989 was hooky, pure pop blast

Reputation was kinda sassy, cringy but sassy

The next ones whatever...

And this last one is long and boring. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

50 minutes ago, BabyBenzz said:

I don't think the average person cares enough to troll her fans like on ATRL. Casual music listeners like myself will check it out because of the hype and if the have discernible taste it is beyond apparent that TTPD actively is a suckfest.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

People are doing the most on this album because they dislike her persona, it actually has a lot of good melodies, the productions are more interesting than Midnights and on par with most of her other albums, and the lyricism is overall good (though I agree that there are some clunky moments but Lover and reputation had way worse and they weren't judged as harshly).

Expecting this post to get downvoted :zzz:

Edited by G.U.Y_Del_Rey
  • Like 2

She accumulated lots of haters and OTHs due to her massive success and they are spamming these review sites just to drag her review scores. TTPD is an amazing album and getting better after each listen. :jonny5:

The double album release was what put off some listeners. It's too lengthy to listen to, especially if the tone of the 31 tracks were a bit similar. She should've just followed Folkore/Evermore release strategy : release TTPD (which I think is a great album on its own), and release The Anthology (as a b-side/sister album) six months later.. 

But I can't blame her for wanting to break that Adele record so badly.

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, Støned said:

The double album release was what put off some listeners. It's too lengthy to listen to, especially if the tone of the 31 tracks were a bit similar. She should've just followed Folkore/Evermore release strategy : release TTPD (which I think is a great album on its own), and release The Anthology (as a b-side/sister album) six months later.. 

But I can't blame her for wanting to break that Adele record so badly.

I agree with splitting the release up. It would have been cute if she released Anthology two weeks after TTPD (i.e., a fortnight). That would give the albums enough breathing room to stand on their own without overwhelming listeners. It doesn't help that Side A and Side B are so wildly different. Side A is a standalone story and Side B is more spurious and covers many distinct stories. It doesn't make sense to put them together.

• Like 2

The fact that is 31 songs left open space for pretty bad songs I'm afraid

7 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I agree with splitting the release up. It would have been cute if she released Anthology two weeks after TTPD (i.e., a fortnight). That would give the albums enough breathing room to stand on their own without overwhelming listeners. It doesn't help that Side A and Side B are so wildly different. Side A is a standalone story and Side B is more spurious and covers many distinct stories. It doesn't make sense to put them together.

Yeah, imagine if she released Folklore as a double album back in 2020. I don't think it would be well received as it was back then.

By releasing The Anthology together with TTPD, she hindered TA's potential to be fully appreciated/digested by the GP/fans. 

The world is taking off their stan glasses. Had she released this in 2022 before midnights it would've been claimed to be her most artistic one of all time and praised to the heavens 

2 hours ago, dejmieeen said:

Despite getting positive reviews, with 100 from Rolling Stone magazine, music listeners are not huge fans of last Taylor Swift's album. When it comes to rateyourmusic, „The Tortured Poets Department" current rate is 2.17/5, which is her lowest(!) result in album area. Even her debut album and „reputation" have been rated 2.54/5 and 2.43/5 by RYM users.

Taylor's highest rated album is „Red (Taylor's version)", followed by „folklore" and „evermore".

Why music listeners gave this album so low rating? It's not that she is hated by RYM users. Some of her singles are bold, which means they were rated VERY positively. For example, „Style" got 3.87/5, which makes it #63 best single of 2015 according to users. Some of her other single highlights are „All Too Well (10 Minutes version)", „willow" or „cardigan".

What went wrong?

Are you from Germany or Austria? :D

On 4/20/2024 at 12:16 AM, Burn said:

Swiftys in this thread already not being able to accept that the scores are low because people simply don't like the music. It's that simple. No conspiracies.

b7654169d23b9c14a11bcf55e88ee200a8796353

This :bibliahh:

OT:

if the narrative is that the user scores are influenced by haters, then for comparison's sake, why does Bey's recent album enjoy a 78% user score considering the number of Swifties she has pressed on a daily basis because of her mere existence? Considering they love gloating about being the biggest fanbase in the world, that means Beyonce would have a wider ratio of haters to lowly rate the album but that doesn't seem the case. Or IDK, perhaps it's because of her haters she lost the 2% that kept her from reaching 80%. Is that what they're basing their entire justification on? A minuscule minority that only affects 2% of the overall score?

Even if you dismiss my previous point, you can't seriously tell me that a huge volume of OTHs decided to huddle on one site and continuously trash the album till it stooped to a score below the 50s. That's just not possible unless you have concrete evidence. Even Reputation, an album that came out when Taylor had to disappear from the spotlight due to intense backlash, has a score of 62%. Even if you say that was nearly a decade ago, you can still come back to this year and see that Ariana's last album got a 68% user score, and this is in her backlash era. :rip:  So it seems that an obvious minority cannot influence the average score of an album that culminates the individual ratings of 4,389 reviews. This is just swifties embodying the word 'disingenuous'. 

Edited by Blackout2006

Also noticed Folklore enjoys a user score of 82%. Did the haters in question immediately sprout after her last genuinely great album? :suburban:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.