30 or 10 tracks album?

LVP

30 or 10 tracks album?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. 30 or 10 tracks album?

Yes. More than 14 tracks should be illegal; 12 tracks is the sweet spot. :cm: I can't stand filler. I don't agree with the argument that if I really like an artist I should want as many songs as possible. Nope. Give me your absolute best or keep it. :alexz2:I have yet to see a great 20+ song album be created in a normal length 1-3 year album gap. Corners are being cut somewhere in the process.

Edited by Anomaly

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Illuminati

• Devin

• ScorpiosGroove

• Tudors

The greedy stan in me says the more music the better. Give me 50 track albums. 

But realistically, I'm not going to enjoy and appreciate the entire album if it's more than 17 songs. 

To be honest, if the tracks complement each other or tell a story, I don't mind, but if it's an album that drags on too slowly, then I'll drop it.

moo.png

14 tracks is the sweet spot yeah.

I need to listen to new albums at least 3 times to know if I like them or not and I have little to no inclination to revisit an album that took over an hour to sit through on first listen. It just makes it feel like a slog rather than an enjoyable experience.

I'm a music lover and I want as much as someone will give me, as long as it's good. Whether that's 11 tracks that are 5 minutes ala Pink Floyd or 25 tracks that are 3.5 minutes like Bey or Taylor, I'll take it and eat it wholeheartedly 

• Like 1

I never listen to album fully. Not even 2/3 unless I am in the mood. 

But yeah I only trust ACTUAL artists to deliver me a 5 course meal with a long album like that. Never in my life would I digest a Meghan Trainor or Shawn Mendes album of that length. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i used to love them but now yeah

just get to the point, you can make a great album with 10-12 tracks, unless the songs are necessary save the fillers and interludes

Edited by lauvender

No, I'm used to long albums and I don't mind if they're kinda disjointed either (but ofc if they follow a storyline or is a concept album, the better for me).

If I don't wanna listen to the album front to back, I just curate the songs I like and play those exclusively.

I get overwhelmed with 25+ tracks on an album, i usually never finish those even after years they'll be songs I've never heard. 

15 tracks standard and 20 deluxe is perfect for me. 

I rarely like every song on an album so I'm usually disappointed with only 12 tracks. The more songs = more songs I might enjoy. Then I usually cut it down to the top 12. 

9 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

no, people just have fried attention spans. most people can't even get through a movie anymore without whipping out their phones :toofunny3:

as long as the material is good and serves a purpose, concept, story etc it could be +50 tracks for all i care.

if there's a lot of filler a 12-14 track album would be preferable of course. i'll always take long albums where you can cut the songs you don't like over albums that feel too short/not fleshed out enough 

I think that's only partially true. Movies keep getting longer despite the short attention span.

While I agree that you can sit down and sift through the material even if the album is long, do you think the tracks would have space to breathe and connect with people is Beyonce's 3 album project was one large 70 song album?

Those are pretty rare. The problem is that there is usually a lot of filler for no reason. 

The album's length only impacts my first few listens when I'm actually listening to the album in full. Usually, I either listen to music on shuffle or pick songs that I want to listen to manually from my entire library. Very rarely I want to listen to entire albums because there are not that many albums I actually like every song on. 

If it comes to those first impressions, it really depends. Cowboy Carter, even though I don't love every song, was interesting enough for me to keep me entertained. TTPD on the other hand was a chore to listen to in full for the first time and only now I'm slowly warming up to some songs.

If it comes to time, I have a 9-5 job, free weekends and I don't really have much else to do afterwards so It feels like I'm listening to music all the time. On the train to and back from work, while walking the dog or doing other household chores, etc. 

i prefer 12-14 track albums. but it really depends on the artist, genre, song lengths, etc for me.

12 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

While I agree that you can sit down and sift through the material even if the album is long, do you think the tracks would have space to breathe and connect with people is Beyonce's 3 album project was one large 70 song album?

you can't really compare 20ish songs and a couple interludes to a 70 song album so i don't know how to answer your question :deadbanana4:

As long as they are good I enjoy long albums! Janet albums for example always take me on a musical journey despite being 15+ track long.

1 minute ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

you can't really compare 20ish songs and a couple interludes to a 70 song album so i don't know how to answer your question :deadbanana4:

Well you said yourself you would listen to it even if it was 50+ songs, I just don't think individual songs would punch as hard

Just Taylor's!! I loved Justin Timberlakes long album

I like what Tori Amos did with "Scarlet's Walk", that one was strong and of consistent quality throughout but when she stuck with that length for her next few albums the cracks began to show and the quality dropped.

On average I'd say 12/ 14 works great for me though (anything 11 or below and I assume a deluxe is coming later).

I think it depends on the artist and release. If it's someone that doesn't release often like Sade for example I would love a 15+ album. For the most part though I prefer 9-12 tracks.

I love big, magnum opus albums. Especially concept albums. As long as it's not over- cluttered with filler and every song feels like it has a place. My favorite album has 18 cohesive tracks. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

12 track albums are fine. There's a time and a place for them. It all depends on the type of album too. 

If it's by my own faves I very much welcome it

I truly cannot name one album that is perfect and has that many songs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.