Why does Beyoncé never sell as much as Taylor?

GardenPanty

2 minutes ago, verzden said:

I'm sorry, are you a Taylor Stan? Because what a ridiculous hypocritical comment if so. 

I like a few of Taylor's songs but I don't follow her or have ever spent a dollar on her. In contrast to Bey whose first 4 albums I bought on release week.

Edited by dumbsparce

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• futuresuperstar2023

• The 1

• Lose My Breath

• Josh

Beyonce is much more complicated and polarizing. The themes of her music are not cookie cutter breakup and easily digestible, plus she never brands herself as a victim. She's much more experimental. 

• Thanks 4

Beyonce is to the black community that Taylor is to the white community in the US. It's not to say it's all they cater to and profit from (there's a lot between these two specific artist that make them cultural anomalies compared to the average pop star), but Taylor is appealing to a majority in this respect. A majority that has more capital at that. Theres also the age demographic. Like the way it was widely reported when parents had to fight tooth and nail to get their kids tickets to Taylor's concert. That narrative doesn't apply to Beyoncé, not at all to the same degree anyway. 

• Like 4

do we really need to say it? it's because beyonce is black

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Nothing Beyonce has done post-4 has been genuine. Like, I'm sure she never steps in the studio just to vibe and see what she can come up with. She collects her team and asks everyone for suggestions as to how she's gonna shock the world, or so she thinks, but you get the point. "oooohh, I'm gonna do country now. That will gag the girls. Yeehaww"

It hasn't been about the music for a very long time now and once the initial buzz regarding the gimmicks/shock value settles, you realize that's all there was to it.

This is such a juvenile, low IQ assessment of Beyonce's discography. Like Beyonce isn't trying to sell as many records as possible to middle America. She's on a mission to make sure that Black culture and history is archived and credited properly and doesn't get lost in the chaos of the digital age. Before Renaissance it was very common for people (especially Black people) to hear EDM music and say "that's white people music" because they only heard David Guetta on the radio and only saw white faces at raves and festivals. Renaissance resurfaced the history of the genre and reminded the entire world but ESPECIALLY young Black people that "THIS IS OUR HISTORY TOO" No one calls EDM or HOUSE music white people music anymore and that's directly tied to how culturally relevant the Renaissance era was.  

Cowboy Carter is on the same mission. It's not secret that everyone views Country music as a WHITE genre to the point where white people were gatekeeping young Black artist AND EVEN TRIED TO GATE KEEP Beyonce herself from being a part of the community unless they assimilated into the "Nashville sound" Beyonce is literally expanding the definition of the  country genre and creating space for BLACK CULTURE to be represented within the country music space. Not only that but she still managed to secure a #1 Single and a #1 Album in the process. Shaboozey is literally #1 on iTunes right now and is about to debut with his first Top 10 Hit on the Hot 100. That's the immediate cultural impact of Cowboy Carter. 

Then you have Taylor.... Amazing songwriter. Very relatable. Sings about love and relationships. Cool. Every teen in America is eating it up. Love that for them. But trust and believe she is not producing anything of cultural or historical importance. Just cute little bops about love and heartbreak. Very low risk and high reward approach to her career and she's being rewarded for it. Beyonce is on another mission. A professor at Vanderbilt University is creating an entire course about the social and political importance of Cowboy Carter this fall. The only time Taylor Swift's music will be referenced on college campuses will in business schools as an example of great marketing. That's it, that's all. :celestial5:

Edited by Navyboy20
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

22 minutes ago, Armani? said:

We really pretending Beyonce doesn't have verifiable impact?:suburban:

She's a troll and very OBSESSED with B. Even talk about Beyoncé in an unrelated thread. I heard it's a Britney's stan. 

1 minute ago, Navyboy20 said:

This is such a juvenile, low IQ assessment of Beyonce's discography. Like Beyonce isn't trying to sell as many records as possible to middle America. She's on a mission to make sure that Black culture and history is archived and credited properly and doesn't get lost in the chaos of the digital age. Before Renaissance is was very common for people (especially Black people) to hear EDM music and say "that's white people music" because they only heard David Guetta on the radio and only saw white faces at raves and festivals. Renaissance resurfaced the history of the genre and reminded the entire world but ESPECIALLY young Black people that "THIS IS OUR HISTORY TOO"

Cowboy Carter is on the same mission. It's not secret that everyone views Country music as a WHITE genre to the point where white people were gatekeeping young Black artist AND EVEN TRIED TO GATE KEEP Beyonce herself from being a part of the community unless they assimilated into the "Nashville sound" Beyonce is literally expanding the definition of the  country genre and creating space for BLACK CULTURE to be represented within the country music space. Not only that but she still managed to secure a #1 Single and a #1 Album in the process. 

Then you have Taylor.... Amazing songwriter. Very relatable. Sings about love and relationships. Cool. Every teen in America is eating it up. Love that for them. But trust and believe she is not producing anything of cultural or historical importance. Just cute little bops about love and heartbreak. Very low risk and high reward approach to her career and she's being rewarded for it. Beyonce is on another mission. A professor at Vanderbilt University is creating an entire course about the social and political importance of Cowboy Carter this fall. The only time Taylor Swift's music will be referenced on college campuses will in business schools as an example of great marketing. That's it, that's all. :celestial5:

And here we have these ridiculous narratives that Beyonce's music somehow requires high iq to appreciate. Maybe you're the one with the low iq since I clearly stated that her intentions (aka all the stuff you mention) overshadow the music. She can reclaim and document whatever she wants, the music itself remains just ok.

Why do people consume more french fries than they do lobster?

17 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Well exactly! There's always a "point" to what she does which I find extremely off-putting. The intention behind her albums overshadows the music itself.

The irony when Taylor is know for releasing albums to make a point.

• 1989 because Red didn't win AOTY so she purposely made that album to prove that she could still win the award
  • Reputation to make a point against the 2016 hate train
  • and the biggest 'point' of all - the Taylor's Versions albums. She's releasing these albums to make a point to the music industry about owning her music
  • Like 1

beyonce is polarizing and unapologetically pro-black while taylor is safe white girl teen music 

• Thanks 1

I don't think Beyonce is too close to the general public with her current musical routes. I'm Asian and what I can relate to is that Beyonce was a big star all the way up to "4" ERA. But the albums after that, it's like she just disappeared, no big hits or hit albums. Admittedly, I recognize that Asians are more partial to white artists, but a lot of black artists have also achieved more than white artists in this part of the world, so I think Beyonce could have gained a lot if she was willing to sing songs in a more pop style.

3 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

And here we have these ridiculous narratives that Beyonce's music somehow requires high iq to appreciate. Maybe you're the one with the low iq since I clearly stated that her intentions (aka all the stuff you mention) overshadow the music. She can reclaim and document whatever she wants, the music itself remains just ok.

You reduced the entire premise of Cowboy Carter as Beyonce waking up one day and saying "oooohh, I'm gonna do country now. That will gag the girls. Yeehaww"  That was your assessment of the project and I'm supposed to think you're smart???

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952yx9t8ue15rmgezngrn5

• Thanks 1

Beyonce makes music people feel they should praise, Taylor makes music people want to listen to. :bird:

Edited by RobynYoBank
  • Like 1

i agree with a lot of what you guys are saying but let's remember that Beyonce still sells a lot and she's not some niche alternative artist :rip: even compared to taylor. this argument that bey is not 'mainstream' enough is just really weak when we look at how her last 2 studio albums performed (and her tour as well)

Why is this thread still open?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Beyonce makes music people feel they should praise, Taylor makes music people want to listen to. :bird:

Not really. You listen to one Taylor Swift song and you've heard them all. Her music is incredibly bland, boring and soulless.

2 hours ago, futuresuperstar2023 said:

Beyonce isn't basic and being basic appeals to white people or if you're gorgeous then you have to be basic in talent. In the black community Basic isn't allowed especially for Black Women.  Beyonce is just not a safe artist like Taylor. Things would be different if Bey continued the horrible I am sasha fierce type albums or promoted like she used to. At the end of the day Beyonce is respected for her talent and has the looks to match. People **** with Beyonce because they **** with Real Superstars.

There is nothing basic about a woman who has AOTY grammy 4 times.. Yall just jealous and mad beyonce could never achieve that. Stop trivializing Taylor's music quality. All those 90+ metascores wouldn't be possible if she was basic. 

As your favs husband Jay Z once said  "Numbahs dont lie check the billboard, i dont smoke molly i rock tomford" 

Edited by shimind

5 minutes ago, RobynYoBank said:

Sis.... no one wants to listen to that new album :rip:

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lose My Breath said:

Sis.... no one wants to listen to that new album :rip:

I guess we'll compare streaming numbers in a few weeks. :bird:

Also, can we stop comparing the two, they aren't comparable at all

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Burn said:

Not really. You listen to one Taylor Swift song and you've heard them all. Her music is incredibly bland, boring and soulless.

Oh I didnt know that Out of the woods and Blank space and style were similar sounding. 

19 minutes ago, Navyboy20 said:

You reduced the entire premise of Cowboy Carter as Beyonce waking up one day and saying "oooohh, I'm gonna do country now. That will gag the girls. Yeehaww"  That was your assessment of the project and I'm supposed to think you're smart???

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952yx9t8ue15rmgezngrn5

yes bc that's exactly ehat she did

Just now, RobynYoBank said:

I guess we'll compare streaming numbers in a few weeks. :bird:

That album is god awful, no amount of sales will convince me otherwise

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shimind said:

Oh I didnt know that Out of the woods and Blank space and style were similar sounding. 

Ummm if you think trying to say those 3 songs don't sound the same is helping Taylor's case… :lmao:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, shimind said:

There is nothing basic about a woman who has AOTY grammy 4 times.. Yall just jealous and mad beyonce could never achieve that. Stop trivializing Taylor's music quality. All those 90+ metascores wouldn't be possible if she was basic. 

As your favs husband Jay Z once said  "Numbahs dont lie check the billboard, i dont smoke molly i rock tomford" 

I really want everyone to integrate WHY a Black female singer can never achieve that and really ask yourself is the reason based on merit and ability? Only 3 Black Women have won AOTY in HISTORY. I guess Black women are just bad at making music right? 

The same academy that said Macklemore & Ryan Lewis were the Best new artist over Kendrick Lamar and had the best Rap Album over Kendrick, Drake, J.Cole and Jay-Z all in one category. 

Edited by Navyboy20
  • Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.