Sabrina's "Espresso" smashing but Selena's "Love On" did not. Why?

naval23

Wait a moment. Love On does sound like a Sabrina song. I didn't realize it until now.  :deadbanana4:

• Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Julia Fox

• Digitalism

• Walk_Away21

• corotinho

Top Posters In This Topic

The vocals aren't cute and also it's not that catchy plus the lyrics couldn't get more uninspired. Sabrina could have made the song sound way better and even could have been a top 40 hit if it was released by her but sadly Selena weak vocal delivery and lifeless stage presence on the MV is an indicator on how that song would perform. 

also Selena isn't passionate about her music, on the other hand you can tell Sabrina was born to sing and be a pop star and that shows on her work ethic and delivery. She enjoy so much sing her songs. That's a good indicator to make you likeable to the GP nowadays. 

Edited by Julia Fox
  • Like 3

Love On is full of clunky lyrics from top to bottom. Espresso is much better at executing the tongue-in-cheek sexy vibe that LO is trying to achieve.

Sabrina's vocals and ad-libs also add an extra flavor that gives her song more appeal. It's just better all around :michael:

Cause, as some member told early, Selena is way ahead this type of sound. You can't release an Bad Liar, Fetish, Wolves, Lose You To Love Me, Look At Her Now, De Una Vez and suddenly try to throw down an Love On type of sound and expect people to enjoy it. It's not what GP wants from her.

Meanwhile, Sabrina still has that fresh and young pop girl image, this is exactly what people wants to hear from her.

Selena should have gone on tour with Taylor and she would have the same numbers

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Digitalism said:

Selena should have gone on tour with Taylor and she would have the same numbers

With her performance skills? God no. I could even see TikTok and Stan Twitter making fun of her because of her lip sync and stage presence.

Theres a reason why only Sabrina got a huge exposure on the eras tour out of all the openers. She's a performer, her songs are catchy and she has charisma, people paid attention to her despite not knowing her. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Julia Fox said:

With her performance skills? God no. I could even see TikTok and Stan Twitter making fun of her because of her lip sync and stage presence.

Theres a reason why only Sabrina got a huge exposure on the eras tour out of all the openers. She's a performer, her songs are catchy and she has charisma, people paid attention to her despite not knowing her. 

It's a Taylor tour

It's not like she would be on stage with Beyonce:rip:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dialamba said:

It doesn't fit Selena she has never been that type of girl

Neither has Sabrina, until she released this Selena leftover.

wonbin-park-wonbin.thumb.gif.67c89b6d093

18 hours ago, Papi Juancho said:

Sabrina became a certain fandom's favorite "fresh pop artist", like Selena in 2014-2015 or Camila in 2017-2019.

They'll use her to drag more established pop artists, only to ditch her once THEIR fave is back in the spotlight.

What does that have to do with Selena releasing a **** song

Selena peaked with "Hands To Myself" and that's a fact.

• Thanks 1

idk how to explain this other than Love On just sounds... ugly. Like that's an ugly girl. Espresso is a gorgeous girl.

38 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

It's a Taylor tour

It's not like she would be on stage with Beyonce:rip:

Then tell me why Gracie Abrahams, GAYLE, beadobe or whatever she's called, MUNA, Phoebe, Girl In Red and HAIM didn't had a breakthrough/improve on their sales/streams at their Eras Tour gigs? 

Nobody denies that Taylor gave her a huge platform but telling that it was just because of that it's just ignorant. In that case all of the eras openers would have exploded into stardom and have scored hits. Obviously Sabrina is more appealing and is more interesting to see live, she can sing, dance and have charisma and stage presence and that's what caught attention to the people of the Eras Tour that are streaming Espresso + her last album who had its biggest streaming day on Monday after 2 years of its release  

Edited by Julia Fox

1 minute ago, Julia Fox said:

Then tell me why Gracie Abrahams, GAYLE, beadobe or whatever she's called, MUNA, Phoebe, Girl In Red and HAIM didn't had a breakthrough/improve on their sales/streams at their Eras Tour gigs? 

Nobody denies that Taylor gave her a huge platform but telling that it was just because of that it's just ignorant. In that case all of the eras openers would have exploded into stardom and have scored hits. Obviously Sabrina is more appealing and is more interesting to see live, she can sing, dance and have charisma and stage presence and that's what caught attention to the people of the Eras Tour that are streaming Espresso + her last album who had its biggest streaming day on Monday after 2 years of its release  

Drag ha!

40 minutes ago, Ethereal said:

Neither has Sabrina, until she released this Selena leftover.

wonbin-park-wonbin.thumb.gif.67c89b6d093

Are you joking? Sabrina is a very versatile artist and can sing and use her voice as an instrument too. Almost every song fits her voice and persona, something we can't say about Selena because of her terrible singing :skull:

I didn't realise Love On was sung by English and Selena sounds awful. I didn't listen to Espresso but i bet it is far more digestible.

1 minute ago, paperfectdelusion said:

I didn't realise Love On was sung by English and Selena sounds awful. I didn't listen to Espresso but i bet it is far more digestible.

What are you waiting for?

52 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

Selena's current performance skills is given her disease, Selena has had her own tour and that girl kills it on stage

Sabrina gets a hit and now you all think she can top everyone lol, I love Sabrina but she wished she had Selena's career.

4 minutes ago, BeingRicardo said:

Selena's current performance skills is given her disease, Selena has had her own tour and that girl kills it on stage

Sabrina gets a hit and now you all think she can top everyone lol, I love Sabrina but she wished she had Selena's career.

I'm not talking about career I'm taking about performance skills. You can be the most successful artists in the world of history and you can be a bad performer. And talent-wise Sabrina is more talented than Selena even on her prime.

also since when Selena is everyone? I know Sabrina can't top Beyonce, Shakira, Gaga performance skills for example. Maybe you are the ones that could be more realistic and admit that Selena has never been a good performer. She can't sing, she used to dance but didn't excel at it and now her dancing is non existent because of her disease, and she always seemed shy and insecure on almost every of her performances because she knows that was a big flaw so stop projecting yourselves with your cheap ass arguments 

18 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

:coffee2:   Sabrina has been around a long while since she is on her 5th album now.  She has been building a large fanbase and was just waiting to happen and that is where Taylor's push got her to the top.  Her busting out now is due to Taylor and of course she will continue licking her a** to get those numbers.  Without Taylor Sabrina never would have happened.

They are similar. The fact that if Sabrina released this, it probably would've done much better lowkey anoints Sabrina as the next big thing tbh.  I think maybe Selena fans are growing up, reaching 25+, and Sabrina's fans are still kids who have the time & passion to be massively into her. Sabrina is also in that hungry stage, unlike Selena. 

2 hours ago, skizzo said:

Selena peaked with "Hands To Myself" and that's a fact.

She peaked with 'lose you to love me'

because espresso is good

1 hour ago, Sweetestsecret said:

She peaked with 'lose you to love me'

Nah. Not for me anyway.

As others have said, the song is just not good. It's clunky and awkward. Espresso is just evenly mixed and it's easily her best single of her career too.

Espresso is pop perfection at its finest 

Love On is pure mediocrity 

It's that simple 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.