Sabrina's "Espresso" smashing but Selena's "Love On" did not. Why?

naval23

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Julia Fox

• Digitalism

• Walk_Away21

• corotinho

Top Posters In This Topic

The nazis are being very hard against Selena and sadly they are everywhere nowadays.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I agree that the songs sound familiar but I like Espresso's lyrics more and it sounds more fun in my opinion (and I say this as a Selena stan).

But we also have to consider that Selena did basically nothing to promote Love On (which is nothing new when it comes to her music career) while Sabrina has been touring with Taylor for months and also performed at Coachella (including Espresso). Hard work pays off in the end :michael:

• Like 10

Because one is good and one is not.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Crashed said:

I agree that the songs sound familiar but I like Espresso's lyrics more and it sounds more fun in my opinion (and I say this as a Selena stan).

But we also have to consider that Selena did basically nothing to promote Love On (which is nothing new when it comes to her music career) while Sabrina has been touring with Taylor for months and also performed at Coachella (including Espresso). Hard work pays off in the end :michael:

2 hours ago, LCTV said:

Because one is good and one is not.

THIS.

But also gonna share an input that I think is also a big factor here -

People aren't here for this type of Selena anymore. She had artistic growth with the droplet era and then continued it with Rare. Love On and Single Soon felt like a gigantic regression for her musically. It wasn't what anyone was asking for from Selena. Almost everyone was asking for something like Fetish, Wolves, Souvenir, Good For You, etc. 

Edited by Crank_It_Up
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sabrina is still relatively new to the GP, the newer generations are really embracing her. Also, she's actively promoting with live performances. I don't think Selena has performed at any relevant music show since her AMA's fiasco. I hate to say, but it looks like Selena's music career has peaked and it's on a downward trend now. 

The lyrics in Espresso fit together very nicely and the whole song feels really smooth. Love On has loads of rushed lyrics Julia Michaels tried really hard to cram in and ruins the listening experience.

• Like 7

Sabrina is wholeheartedly fully focused on her music career and trying to give her best while Selena couldn't care less. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The way Love On might have peaked top 40 with Sabrina singing it :jonny5:

Sabrina just made a better song :michael:..not to mention the visuals are better too

• Like 1

hmm they don't sound the same

Sabrina is kinda new and her past music (with HR) is totally different while Espresso sounds like a perfect summer hit. Love On was released earlier this year and honestly It was a step back from Selena's previous song like Good for you or Fetish, something that she teased for her new music.

Edited by Sad Serenade

Sorry but Selena looks dead in the eyes now lol. She doesn't seem in it. Probably because they're making her release these trash songs. I hope she gets the fire back when she does the mid tempo fetish vibe album she teased as that's where dhe

slays and is apparently very aware

• Thanks 1

What even is the plan for her? Didn't she say her new album is all happy upbeat pop vibes and not a ballad in sight. Now she's all of a sudden teasing that midtempo alt pop album? Honestly I'm down for new Selena but hopefully in the pocket where she delivers

Sabrina has talent & Selena doesn't :sorry: 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

It doesn't fit Selena she has never been that type of girl

it just goes to show style or trendy sound isn't enough to make a hit. Love On is corny, stale, cheap, badly mixed, poorly written and has awful vocals even for Selena's standards. Meanwhile Espresso sounds lush and full, the lyrics are funny and the melody and vocal delivery are great.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Comments about talent are a joke cuz Sabrina needs like 10 Espresso sized hits to be somewhat near Selena in terms of music stats. It doesn't make any sense, there are miles bethween them in terms of success. Like literally 1 decade of hits between them. It's 100% unclear if Sabrina someday get there. 

So those comments doesn't make any sense. It's just biased hate for Selena. 

I hope Sabrina gets there cuz i like her and i want her to succeed. 'Emails i can't send' reminds me of 'Rare' and i think that's why i got sooo obsessed with that album, love Sabrina and i'm happy she's seeing success. 

With that said, Espresso is way "cooler" than "Love On". the whole aesthetic, the way it MAKES SENSE after Feather, after the virals Nonsense outros on Tour. 

everything matched up perfectly for Sabrina (the Espresso MV is sooo cool, like it gives a whole different vibe..) while Selena had already released masterpieces like Fetish, Bad Liar, Hands to Myself, Good for You and now is back on the teen pop route being 31. Doesn't make any sense and that's why she stopped. 

Me as a Selena stan don't think Espresso is better than Love On. But for sure Espresso is "cool" and Love On is not and that's easy to see even for a Selenator, so the answer is simple. It makes sense for Sabrina and is a way cooler Song/MV than Love On. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

barbiegrande

When we played the song for Selena, it was the first time she had heard the record. 

Do you understand what I'm saying?

We played the song for her… and it was the first time she had heard the record. 

• Haha 4

People have already witnessed Selena evolve past material like "Love On". Once you witness an artist's evolution it feels regressive for them to revisit a younger part of themselves in such a non ironic way.

Compare "Love On" to how Miley commented upon and revisited a previous iteration of her identity on the track "Younger Now".

In Miley's case there was irony and a degree of reflection, in Selena's case there wasn't. It was a cynical case of a record company executive believing that the recycling of an earlier sound/ image from Selena's career would translate in to a successful album campaign launch and cold hard cash.

However art cannot me commodified in to such an artificial, plastic construct in that way.  It will only be with Selena's next single/ video that things will begin to get truly interesting.

Sabrina (by contrast) has not fully evolved so people do not perceive anything she does as a regressive step backwards (yet).

Edited by Dante Silva
  • Like 2

It's simple, Selena did not want to release that song, no one but her label wanted that song out. Her fans were expecting different music and instead we got that...Which feels like a regression in her career. The song has no depth and no substance.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dante Silva said:

People have already witnessed Selena evolve past material like "Love On". Once you witness an artist's evolution it feels regressive for them to revisit a younger part of themselves in such a non ironic way.

Compare "Love On" to how Miley reflected upon and revisited a previous iteration of her identity on the track "Younger Now".

In Miley's case there was irony and reflection, in Selena's case there wasn't. It was a cynical case of a record company executive believing that the recycling of an earlier sound/ image from Selena's career would translate in to a successful album campaign launch and cold hard cash.

However art cannot me commodified in to such an artificial and plastic construct in that way.  It will only be with Selena's next single/ video that her things will begin to get truly interesting.

Sabrina (by contrast) has not fully evolved so people do not perceive anything she does as a regressive step backwards (yet).

:clap3:

• Thanks 1

Sabrina became a certain fandom's favorite "fresh pop artist", like Selena in 2014-2015 or Camila in 2017-2019.

They'll use her to drag more established pop artists, only to ditch her once THEIR fave is back in the spotlight.

• Confused 1

Sabrina is fresh and Selena is stale at this point

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.