• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheep

• Stunnah

• Sannie

• AbeHicks

UPDATE: I spoke to Meta this afternoon and they said the content has been removed. 

14 hours ago, LIDDOATIN said:

that's what PharmaceuticalGa deserves

PharmaceutiGa was right there... 

• Haha 2

On 4/11/2024 at 9:55 PM, Machete said:

The EU is one of the most dictating organizations in modern human history. Their audacity to control what foreign businesses/people can do for the most irrelevant **** ever is insane. Like forcing Apple to use USB C? Who the **** do they think they are :rip: Now they want Gaga to geo-lock her posts, which she uploaded outside of their region, to comply with their laws :rip: Someone needs to clock these fckers and remind them it isn't the 1900s, Europe isn't the hub of the world. 

Doesn't the fact that they made APPLE fold and comply prove that they're indeed.. the hub?

• Thanks 2

Honestly, as an EU citizen I'm glad the EU has laws that protect us. I think it can be dangerous to advertise prescription drugs. 

I don't really know who will be held accountable for this but I'm glad it's not being ignored.

• Like 3

Actually I find myself being on Gaga's side here.

There are over 200 countries. No way it is  humanly impossible for any one individual to micromanage the visibility of their own ads to make them fit all those hundreds of jurisdictions.

The matter should be dealt with at internet tech platform level.

Big tech algorithms must be forced to take care of it.

In this particular case for example let Jeff Zucuntberg's META filter out pharma ads from being shown to someone viewing Insta, if the person is located within the EU (and wherever else proper national healthcare insurance that covers everyone exists). Big tech already has the capability to do this: copyright technology exists, which they use to narrowly ban and restrict to varying degrees music and video depending on where the (for example youtube) vieuwer is located.

Edited by Raiden
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

On 4/11/2024 at 6:46 AM, Into The Void said:

It's illegal to advertise meds in the EU?

We don't want that US opioid crisis here, it's a good thing. 

• Like 9

On 4/11/2024 at 9:55 PM, Machete said:

The EU is one of the most dictating organizations in modern human history. Their audacity to control what foreign businesses/people can do for the most irrelevant **** ever is insane. Like forcing Apple to use USB C? Who the **** do they think they are :rip: Now they want Gaga to geo-lock her posts, which she uploaded outside of their region, to comply with their laws :rip: Someone needs to clock these fckers and remind them it isn't the 1900s, Europe isn't the hub of the world. 

Finally someone standing up for the real victim: the billion-dollar corporations! :clap3::clap3::clap3:

Only in the minds of Americans or deluded Europeans is the EU anything other than a neoliberal capitalist institution and one of the main defenders of austerity. The occasional (necessary) regulation does not change that.

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 6:46 AM, Into The Void said:

It's illegal to advertise meds in the EU?

we are protected from cash grabbing conglomerates. <3

It's often referred to: countries taking care of its citizens. 

• Like 2

At least the EU did something right, prevent Big Pharma from shilling their overpriced medications straight to consumers like it's a big Mac.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2024 at 10:55 PM, Machete said:

Wait until you find out about the differences in our food compared to the US! 

• Haha 1

i'll have to look for evidence :celestial5:

lock her up just in case

On 4/11/2024 at 1:01 AM, Jude said:

This is more like a lapse from Gaga's team. How come nobody knew about this law in EU? They could have geofenced that video indeed.

Most pop stars - and thus their social media and marketing coordinators - don't shill pharmaceuticals.

no-electric-chair.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

The posts are geo-locked now so yeah, caso cerrado b!tch :giraffe:

Notice how Monsters have a sense of humor. Certain other bases could take notes.

• Like 1

ban her from entering europe ever again. the actual patient doesn't deserve people's hard earned euros.

:suburban:

• Haha 1

Now, I'm definitely not a fan of corporations using celebrities/influencers to advertise their sketchy medications in media in general..
But why does it alway seem that whenever the EU is in the news that it is always for the most silly and unimportant stuff?

Her post said it was for US citizens only. Why was that not enough? Do the european lawmakers think their own people are too dumb to read? Or do they think EU citizens are going to buy some drug en masses just because a celebrity was in the ad? Thought they were way too smart and perfect for that, as they always like to pretend they are in comparison to us 'simple' Americans?

Coffee Monday GIF by BET Plus

The audacity to think a US-based entertainer who lives and primarily works in America should have to heed to some EU law is beyond goofy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Madonna would never 

Ladies and gentlemen, we now have:

- A thief: Beyonce

- A tax fraudster: Shakira

and now,

- A global criminal: GaGa

🕺

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:34 PM, Raiden said:

Actually I find myself being on Gaga's side here.

There are over 200 countries. No way it is  humanly impossible for any one individual to micromanage the visibility of their own ads to make them fit all those hundreds of jurisdictions.

The matter should be dealt with at internet tech platform level.

Big tech algorithms must be forced to take care of it.

In this particular case for example let Jeff Zucuntberg's META filter out pharma ads from being shown to someone viewing Insta, if the person is located within the EU (and wherever else proper national healthcare insurance that covers everyone exists). Big tech already has the capability to do this: copyright technology exists, which they use to narrowly ban and restrict to varying degrees music and video depending on where the (for example youtube) vieuwer is located.

Currently, the responsibility falls not on Meta's side, but on Pfizer and Gaga.  Pfizer regularly posts ads on social media and geo-gates these ads to not show in the EU.  They should have ensured Gaga's team followed the same protocols.  Meta provides the ability to geo-gate your ads, but maybe they can make it better by asking the user to select which type of category their ad falls into, and if it's a prescription drug, to automatically geo-gate this from certain parts of the world where it's illegal.  I believe you need to do this manually and it can take 5-20 minutes to add all of the countries that you want to geo-gate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.