• Wonbin

• nooniebao

• popularmoonlight

• Armani?

40 minutes ago, Boysdontcry said:

First week -

Spotify: 3 million streams

YouTube: 300K views

i mean should we really look at the youtube stats? it has no music video, it's a dark screen audio with 330K views. nothing more. not even a visualisier. but the spotify stats are okay tbh i expected less 

YouTube is irrelevant - at least for western artists. 

Just passed 800 scrobbles :heart2: Obsessed 

7 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

Rooting for Mani big time and can tell that there are (for sure) some haters camped here to shade her. 

But for those of us that aren't, can I just temperature check what the vibe is towards 1:59 and the album's potential... in this very moment?

I'm seeing a lot of claims of "hating" thrown at any kind of constructive criticism, but I'm just sat here wondering what those same people will point to IF Mani releases and everything underperforms terribly. Kind of how 1:59 doesn't even look like it'll chart on the Hot 100.

I'm legit curious. Is it that some have let go of commercial expectations or feel that things will catch on eventually or with another song (like Candy Paint)? Or is it that her unfortunate set of circumstance is what will make it hard to turn the tide in any kind of impactful way?

Hope none of this sounds condescending. I for sure have my own view, as expressed up and down the thread, but I'm keen to understand where others are at.

I really don't think this needs to be re-hashed over and over but I will bite :laugh:. I think the general consensus is Normani needs to release an album. There hasn't been a newcomer that has really broke through in recent years without an album being released. It's been 6 years.... Normani needed to release an album. The numbers are irrelevant to me because one, I am not on RCA's payroll. How they choose to deal with Normani after the numbers come out is their business.  And two again, it's been SIX years with no album. Why wouldn't us as actual fans just be happy that the music is coming??? 

I do think that she would have better results if she released more pop records because Ocean club and Insomnia are both miles better than those 2 songs Lydia played on live to get Normani to put on the album but you know :laugh:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cbreezy said:

Rooting for Mani big time and can tell that there are (for sure) some haters camped here to shade her. 

But for those of us that aren't, can I just temperature check what the vibe is towards 1:59 and the album's potential... in this very moment?

I'm seeing a lot of claims of "hating" thrown at any kind of constructive criticism, but I'm just sat here wondering what those same people will point to IF Mani releases and everything underperforms terribly. Kind of how 1:59 doesn't even look like it'll chart on the Hot 100.

I'm legit curious. Is it that some have let go of commercial expectations or feel that things will catch on eventually or with another song (like Candy Paint)? Or is it that her unfortunate set of circumstance is what will make it hard to turn the tide in any kind of impactful way?

Hope none of this sounds condescending. I for sure have my own view, as expressed up and down the thread, but I'm keen to understand where others are at.

As a stan, I am just so excited we finally have a date!!! And I'm very confident that the album will be QUALITY and that it will receive positive reviews. I can only imagine since she's worked on it for so long lol. 

As for 1:59, I think it's a great track and will fit perfectly on the album. Do I think it should've been released first after so long??? Absolutely not. She needed to come with a high energy song with an epic video, a la Motivation. If she wanted to bring back some of the hype of 2019 she needed to def go the pop route. Normani's hype at this point in her career really depends on her visuals so I don't think we could expect much commercial success with a down-tempo RNB song with no video. 

I would understand it a bit more if she had dropped 1:59 when she announced Dopamine and called it a taste for what's to come. But the fact she dropped it 2 months later and called it the first single w/ no video is a bit confusing to me. 

In summary - I don't know what to expect from the album commercially tbh. I think it'll really depend on how the next proper single performs. As a fan, I'm just looking forward to finally hearing a REAL taste of who Normani is an artist, as this is our first actual project from her. I'm relieved this first era is finally here and we can move past the tiring convos around what the holdup has been lol. 

cheers to the next couple months! <3 

it was removed from NMF playlists and lost some streams yesterday 272,476(-134,224)

• Haha 1

Why is this freefalling so fast on Apple Music?:rip:

Down to #145 on the R&B chart :rip: After 8 days:skull:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

22 hours ago, WheresJay said:

Sure but none of them exactly have the Normani factor nor do any of them do the same thing. Her closest peer is Chloe and even then, it's a different pov and artist vision. 

Yeah i believe in that Normani is special and theres no talent like that but the way this era is rolling out and her social media pages are just bland, zero engagement, post and stories. Idk how we are gonna do that. Im super confused and scared

1 hour ago, Armani? said:

No promo, no radio, no social media engagement 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

But she has Lydia and Brandon Creed ? Like two managers ? Wtf is happening and what these two managers are doing ? 

Managers are really useless these days. The music industry has changed a lot since the days of 5H, and without proactive managers - who are willing to do shady stuff/payola their way into the industry, it's challenging for artists to gain maximum exposure. In Normani's case, her team seems to be falling short in booking her performances or creating performance videos to accompany her music. Having visuals to accompany her songs would help this a lot.

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's about them falling short. They have markers to hit and a label to respond to. I think 1:59 just isn't the song to expect these things from. 

I also think ATRL doesn't have a full understanding of what roles managers actually play in artists careers. 

Edited by WheresJay

1:59 should have just been an instant grat you received with an actual "pre-order" of Dopamine. None of this "pre save" nonsense. Lets be all the way real 1:59 is a nice album track. I've listened to it... I enjoy it... but I can also be honest and realize in no reality is it single worthy (is it even the first official single? cause I'm still unsure on that with all the Candypaint teases and pre-save link and lack of music video). Love you down gurl but... its the truth. June 14th can't come any sooner.

Joanne The Scammer GIF by Super Deluxe

8 minutes ago, WheresJay said:

I think 1:59 just isn't the song to expect these things from. 

No, I agree - it isn't, but they could have, at the very least, dropped an accompanying visual with it.

2 hours ago, Armani? said:

2 hours ago, Nefertiti0 said:

it was removed from NMF playlists and lost some streams yesterday 272,476(-134,224)

Super stable.

1:59 is more of an album track but i still enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This could have -1m streams idc I still listen to this daily :loud:

1 hour ago, WheresJay said:

If fell below that Khalid track though & that came out a couple weeks earlier

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Armani? said:

If fell below that Khalid track though & that came out a couple weeks earlier

Have you been on Khalid's tiktok? He teased this song in feb, people were really excited for it and he let it grow before releasing it. He has also released a visualizer that's more like a video since he is in it and an actual live performance video on his youtube. It came out a month ago so it might also be getting some airplay but i would have to check. Normani... a lot of people weren't excited for the song since it's not an uptempo, her tiktok engagements teasing the song sucked and she released just the audio on tiktok when everyone knows her visuals are the strongest thing about her. It's not really rocket science.... This song is not going to grow without a video and radio play. 

Posted (edited)

Her X factor (:eli:) has always her dancing, so this not doing big numbers isn't a surprise given no video and no Tik Tok challenge. I still think this could do well on radio once it's officially sent, but I think it's clear that Candy Paint is the single that's getting the bigger share of the budget (esp with a video already confirmed).

Edited by toast

57 minutes ago, remming said:

Have you been on Khalid's tiktok? He teased this song in feb, people were really excited for it and he let it grow before releasing it. He has also released a visualizer that's more like a video since he is in it and an actual live performance video on his youtube. It came out a month ago so it might also be getting some airplay but i would have to check. Normani... a lot of people weren't excited for the song since it's not an uptempo, her tiktok engagements teasing the song sucked and she released just the audio on tiktok when everyone knows her visuals are the strongest thing about her. It's not really rocket science.... This song is not going to grow without a video and radio play. 

You act like Normani wasn't teasing 1:59 on Tik Tok as well.:rip:

Also Khalid's song is one note & a bore even with the Alicia Keys sample 

Y'all are wierd with the excuses.

On 5/3/2024 at 10:37 PM, WheresJay said:

Sure but none of them exactly have the Normani factor nor do any of them do the same thing. Her closest peer is Chloe and even then, it's a different pov and artist vision. 

What is the Normani factor? The only thing she did was step out first, but the other have stepped off and are flying now.   It's gonna be interesting year because will all 4 of them book the award stage ?  On the one hand I'm excited for good music  and stage but I know comparison will be there, and their will losses. 

I still remember when people wanted to call the VMAs racist for not booking Normani that year with Wild side but then they announced Chloe. 

2 minutes ago, Armani? said:

You act like Normani wasn't teasing 1:59 on Tik Tok as well.:rip:

Also Khalid's song is one note & a bore even with the Alicia Keys sample 

Y'all are wierd with the excuses.

Did you track Coco today? That might be more amusing than what we have going on in here. 

• Like 3

less fighting, more streaming. :jonny5:

1 minute ago, rac7d said:

What is the Normani factor? The only thing she did was step out first, but the other have stepped off and are flying now.   It's gonna be interesting year because will all 4 of them book the award stage ?  On the one hand I'm excited for good music  and stage but I know comparison will be there, and their will losses. 

I still remember when people wanted to call the VMAs racist for not booking Normani that year with Wild side but then they announced Chloe. 

Defining performances and vision. You've seen Wild Side and you were there when Motivation took off. There's a reason others have mirrored and worked with her team since. She also wasn't the first to step out, Camila was already out. 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.