The Sheena Ringo Singles Rate [winner revealed]

Suilen

Posted (edited)

Karisome Otome (Death Jazz Version) / カリソメ乙女 (DEATH JAZZ ver.)

karisome.png

Score: 6,9 Album: Sanmon Gossip

Big Sheensters: madonnas (10)

Little NishiNOsters: AMIT (3,5)

Technically the first single off Sanmon Gossip, released 3 years before the album. Three versions of the song exist: Death Jazz ver. (this very single and later Sanmon Gossip, sung in Japanese), TAMEIKESANNOH ver. (found on Heisei Fuuzoku, an instrumental) and Hitokuchizaka ver. (found on the Kono Yo no Kagiri single and later on Watashi to Houden, sung in English). And I think that SG got the worst deal. Not to seem too contrarian or anything, but the instrumental version is probably my favorite, then the English one. Maybe combining that instrumental with Japanese would've been the best option, but I guess Sheena knows better than me. Now, to address the elephant in the room: What the hell does a 'temporary virgin' mean? Did she lie about being a virgin to that guy she's singing about? Is there a deeper meaning to it? But it makes for an iconic name, I suppose. And look at that score, hihi.

AMIT isn't a fan of the GaGafied Sheena but will use the receipts to drag other artists: "big band jazz like this is really not my thing, and this song is no exception, but I guess we can't say Shiina does not try to dabble outside her comfort zone, at least up until this point :eli: " Ewan Chaos finds the subtitle funny: "Not death jazz version sksksksksksk." madonnas uses a pretty heavy hyperbole in the praise: "this is the type of song that could save lives." Well, not mine, I'm going to die again if you play that during my CPR.

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• AMIT

• Curaga

• Kyle-x

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew madonners stanned this one (after I already scored) and was like OOP!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Suilen said:

Okay, one more for now, but the rest will be later as the visuals aren't ready.

Yattsuke Shigoto -Rush Job- (Live) / やっつけ仕事 – Live

shigoto.png

Score: 6,63 Album: Ze-Chyou Syuu / Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana

Big Sheensters: AMIT (10)

Little NishiNOsters: fauxtography (0)

A live version of a song that would later make its appearance on KSK that we definitely didn't tack on the rate to give the album more representation (it was actually released as a single, OK?). Some people found its live rendition alluring, but to me, it was a bit distracting, and some points had to be deducted. Anyway, the song talks about overworking oneself to the point of forgetting what day it is, what time it is, whether you even like the job. The most relatable millionaire of them all.

Curaga makes it clear that he's rating the album version (I mean, I wish I could too): "A 9 for the album version despite the overlong intro!” Agree about the intro. AMIT is abusing the biggest fan privileges: "i love the album version more, but this one is great as well and switches up enough to stand on its own.” He also adds that she was 'on fire' during that period, oh my god, someone pour a bucket of water on her. Meloetta Carey thinks that the edginess of the live version is more appropriate for the lyrical content: "i like the studio version more but i think the live version fits better with the translation i read online.” I can actually agree with that too. Subomie, on the other hand, doesn't appreciate the edgy Nina: "I get why ppl prefer this one, but the semen album version is supreme to me so it's a little... 'empty' feeling on this version, you know?” madonnas is fuming, too: "I love this song but why is the live version the single? Lol. It takes away all my fave parts.”

I definitely do not prefer this version to the album one, but it has its charm! I understand a live recording is not for everyone, but I guess when you're a big fan you kinda just appreciate more content from your fave regardless, especially when it switches up and can stand on its own like this. Oh well. :chick1:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Karisome Otome (Death Jazz Version) / カリソメ乙女 (DEATH JAZZ ver.)

karisome.png

Score: 6,9 Album: Sanmon Gossip

Big Sheensters: madonnas (10)

Little NishiNOsters: AMIT (3,5)

Technically the first single off Sanmon Gossip, released 3 years before the album. Three versions of the song exist: Death Jazz ver. (this very single and later Sanmon Gossip, sung in Japanese), TAMEIKESANNOH ver. (found on Heisei Fuuzoku, an instrumental) and Hitokuchizaka ver. (found on the Kono Yo no Kagiri single and later on Watashi to Houden, sung in English). And I think that SG got the worst deal. Not to seem too contrarian or something, but the instrumental version is probably my favorite, then the English one. Maybe combining that instrumental with Japanese would've been the best option, but I guess Sheena knows better than me. Now, to address the elephant in the room: What the hell does a 'temporary virgin' mean? Did she lie about being a virgin to that guy she's singing about? Is there a deeper meaning to it? But it makes for an iconic name, I suppose. And look at that score, hihi.

AMIT isn't a fan of the GaGafied Sheena but will use the receipts to drag other artists: "big band jazz like this is really not my thing, and this song is no exception, but I guess we can't say Shiina does not try to dabble outside her comfort zone, at least up until this point :eli:” Ewan Chaos finds the subtitle funny: "Not death jazz version sksksksksksk.” madonnas uses a pretty heavy hyperbole in the praise: "this is the type of song that could save lives.” Well, not mine, I'm going to die again if you play that during my CPR.

Glad to see this is out. I have never seen it for her sadly. :ninja:

very cute song! we need more Sanmon Gossip stanning though! Classic album

8 minutes ago, Suilen said:

What the hell does a 'temporary virgin' mean?

She's a virgin (if that will sell more records).

• Haha 1

Jiyuu e Michizure / 自由へ道連れ

michizure.png

Score: 6,91 Album: Hi Izuru Tokoro (SUNNY)

Big Sheensters: gingguu (10)

Little NishiNOsters: fauxtography (3)

Another SUNNY single takes a chop. I have a confession to make about this one – I used to really love the song, and even had an avi from the video here many years ago. Now, though… On a revisit, the song seemed too anison-ish to me (not that I have a vendetta against anime songs, there are excellent ones for sure, but some are just too formulaic, you know? And this one fits the bill in many ways, including random English phrases). But who doesn't have their basic moments, right? And kudos to her for this line, though: "Only now I won't become a man or woman.” She said non-binary rights!

Ewan Chaos also catches anison vibes: "It's giving FMA opening.” AMIT puts the blame on the mixing for the floppage, deadgrandma, is that you: "the terrible mixing just makes it sound so grating. there's a good song in here somewhere, but it was bogged down by poor production choices sadly.” Kyle-x finds some solace in it being reminiscent of Ayumi's stuff: "Production gives me late 00s Ayu rock track vibes so obviously I love.” GUILTY ended her, I fear.

• Like 2

oh this is nasty placement, such a great song :biblionny:

#IStandWithSunny

• Like 1

even had an avi from the video here many years ago

um wottice

fgUWvQ7.gif

• Haha 1

This was an anime theme? :eek:

1 minute ago, Subomie said:

This was an anime theme? :eek:

No, that was actually for a dorama starring Chiaki Kuriyama, for who she wrote a bunch of songs. Have it downloaded, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

-

Another Sunny single next

0qzu0Km.gif

I can't lash SUNNY since one single in particular is one of my absolute faves so lemme just stay sat

fgUWvQ7.gif

• Haha 1

Arikitarino Onna / ありきたりな女

arikitana.png

Score: 6,92 Album: Hi Izuru Tokoro (SUNNY)

Big Sheensters: mathekr, Kyle-x (10)

Little NishiNOsters: Curaga (4)

Sunny can't catch a break, huh? To me, the song's always been Carnation's loud sister, but I know that Carnation haters will disagree and demand its exit (SEETHE). I actually love the subject matter of the song, which is about sacrificing a lot to bring back a loved person (she used to be a witch, but now she's an ordinary woman). But yeah, not sure about the performance. I'm also bothered by the fact that the official transliteration of the song is Arikitarino Onna when it should be Arikitari NA Onna. But who knows, maybe she's trying to bend the grammar rules of Japanese or something (the use of the particle no for arikitari actually seems to be more common and 'correct' these days?).

Only AMIT had something to say about the song, but that's expected from the biggest fan: "should I love this? idk but I kinda do. one of my faves from the album, can't help but scream along!” Well, we want to hear that vocaroo recording ASAP.

• Like 1

Oh, that one is catchy - screams and all.

• Like 1

gave this a 6 but I've already forgotten how it sounds.

#IDontStandWithSunnyThisTime

• Haha 3

noooo ugh I actually like this one! :chick3:

goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeghdkjsdghskdjg I guess 

• Like 1

Jiyuu e Michizure a bit too low!!!!!! OK with the rest so far :-*

Kinda starting to low key regret my 0 considering a certain collab is still in

5b00041d633e1e5ab80f57b65bdb0e602d26f767.gif

That's all I have prepared for today, we'll see if I could cook up something for both Saturday and Sunday so that we could reach the top 20. I appreciate all the comments! The next song to be out will be the most polarizing so far, and some upsets coupled with AMIT's meltdowns will definitely be coming.

Recap:

38. A Life Supreme - 6,53

37. The Adult Code - 6,56

36. Yattsuke Shigoto -Rush Job- (Live) - 6,63

35. Karisome Otome (Death Jazz Version) - 6,9

34. Jiyuu e Michizure - 6,91

33. Arikitarino Onna - 6,92

7dc5fab21ba6112b8a369800a6b8d70c811e4801.gif

• Like 1

Mess not the cliffhanger. :clownny:

11 minutes ago, AMIT said:

Kinda starting to low key regret my 0 considering a certain collab is still in

And if I tell you that collab outlasted several other collab, will you hold it against Curaga?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Jiyuu e Michizure / 自由へ道連れ

michizure.png

Score: 6,91 Album: Hi Izuru Tokoro (SUNNY)

Big Sheensters: gingguu (10)

Little NishiNOsters: fauxtography (3)

Another SUNNY single takes a chop. I have a confession to make about this one – I used to really love the song, and even had an avi from the video here many years ago. Now, though… On a revisit, the song seemed too anison-ish to me (not that I have a vendetta against anime songs, there are excellent ones for sure, but some are just too formulaic, you know? And this one fits the bill in many ways, including random English phrases). But who doesn't have their basic moments, right? And kudos to her for this line, though: "Only now I won't become a man or woman.” She said non-binary rights!

Ewan Chaos also catches anison vibes: "It's giving FMA opening.” AMIT puts the blame on the mixing for the floppage, deadgrandma, is that you: "the terrible mixing just makes it sound so grating. there's a good song in here somewhere, but it was bogged down by poor production choices sadly.” Kyle-x finds some solace in it being reminiscent of Ayumi's stuff: "Production gives me late 00s Ayu rock track vibes so obviously I love.” GUILTY ended her, I fear.

Oh wow, I like this song a lot :biblio: Surprised it's already out!

38 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Arikitarino Onna / ありきたりな女

arikitana.png

Score: 6,92 Album: Hi Izuru Tokoro (SUNNY)

Big Sheensters: mathekr, Kyle-x (10)

Little NishiNOsters: Curaga (4)

Sunny can't catch a break, huh? To me, the song's always been Carnation's loud sister, but I know that Carnation haters will disagree and demand its exit (SEETHE). I actually love the subject matter of the song, which is about sacrificing a lot to bring back a loved person (she used to be a witch, but now she's an ordinary woman). But yeah, not sure about the performance. I'm also bothered by the fact that the official transliteration of the song is Arikitarino Onna when it should be Arikitari NA Onna. But who knows, maybe she's trying to bend the grammar rules of Japanese or something (the use of the particle no for arikitari actually seems to be more common and 'correct' these days?).

Only AMIT had something to say about the song, but that's expected from the biggest fan: "should I love this? idk but I kinda do. one of my faves from the album, can't help but scream along!” Well, we want to hear that vocaroo recording ASAP.

Not this being out so early :biblio: The lack of taste jumped out

40 minutes ago, Suilen said:

And if I tell you that collab outlasted several other collab, will you hold it against Curaga?

You already know the answer

• Haha 2

I'd tell Curaga to get behind me, but some of my faves got dragged too, so I'm feeling ambivalent

iPXxID6.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.