The Sheena Ringo Singles Rate [winner revealed]

Suilen

55 minutes ago, Suilen said:

And if I tell you that collab outlasted several other collab, will you hold it against Curaga?

5b00041d633e1e5ab80f57b65bdb0e602d26f767.gif

The way the collabs with m*n are all my fav songs on Sandokushi... not because of them though, they are just the better songs ddd 

57f4c9ae52912aaa7399041b122d55cfd386d972.gif

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• AMIT

• Curaga

• Kyle-x

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Suilen said:

I'd tell Curaga to get behind me, but some of my faves got dragged too, so I'm feeling ambivalent

iPXxID6.gif

It's ok — I can take the lashings! It's good education for me sometimes nnn

834e3513187e04ad8b8d6da0cc2219d5a47b4d02.gif

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Curaga said:

The way the collabs with m*n are all my fav songs on Sandokushi... not because of them though, they are just the better songs ddd 

57f4c9ae52912aaa7399041b122d55cfd386d972.gif

The meninism, I cannot

tumblr_o2q70ekn5M1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Anyway, still no idea what Radiohead song Sheena improved, so I'll listen to JoJo Siwa instead.

3 hours ago, Suilen said:

Arikitarino Onna / ありきたりな女

arikitana.png

Score: 6,92 Album: Hi Izuru Tokoro (SUNNY)

Big Sheensters: mathekr, Kyle-x (10)

Little NishiNOsters: Curaga (4)

Sunny can't catch a break, huh? To me, the song's always been Carnation's loud sister, but I know that Carnation haters will disagree and demand its exit (SEETHE). I actually love the subject matter of the song, which is about sacrificing a lot to bring back a loved person (she used to be a witch, but now she's an ordinary woman). But yeah, not sure about the performance. I'm also bothered by the fact that the official transliteration of the song is Arikitarino Onna when it should be Arikitari NA Onna. But who knows, maybe she's trying to bend the grammar rules of Japanese or something (the use of the particle no for arikitari actually seems to be more common and 'correct' these days?).

Only AMIT had something to say about the song, but that's expected from the biggest fan: "should I love this? idk but I kinda do. one of my faves from the album, can't help but scream along!” Well, we want to hear that vocaroo recording ASAP.

She deserved top 30 at least now come on Ringorollers

• Like 2

I missed today :jonny2:

I'll try to catch this live tomorrow :chick3:

• Like 1

Trying to download some (well, basically all to prepare for future reveals) videos in high quality as I completely missed the fact that the older videos on her channel are in rather poor quality, so if I manage to do that, then there'll be an update today. Maybe she needs to follow her good friend's path and upload them in 4K ASAP.

No proper update today, but I just couldn't keep this one to myself.

Carnation / カーネーション

carnation.png

Score: 6,93 Album: Hi Izuru Tokoro (SUNNY)

Big Sheensters: Suilen (11), fauxtography, confide in me, Kyle-x (10)

Little NishiNOsters: mathekr (0)

Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique… Sheena at her most vulnerable, most theater-kid self. What is here not to appreciate? But apparently some people have their sense of beauty violently distorted, and for the first batch of ballots the song was bubbling somewhere near the bottom, and I was reluctant to give it my 11. Then beautiful souls with properly working taste palates chimed in, and I thought, why not? It's not like my other 11 would help that song much, while it mattered a lot for queen Carnation. As for the haters, life will take care of them. Also, hating this song is homophobic, especially if the rumors of that steamy sapphic romance between Sheena and Utada are to be believed. Please, learn to love yourselves.

mathekr is an OCH: "I really don't care about this song. To me it marks the start of Ringo trying to recreate past glories.” Very cool and interesting. AMIT keeps being a miserable hater: "the second saito neko single and better than the first one in my opinion, but it doesn't really go anywhere unfortunately.” Saito is credited on Irohanihoheto, too, but we love selective memory. At least he stans the b-side: "another b-side shout out here, track #2 of this single is really good, like really really good. she's talking her french **** over a salsa beat and it's absolutely glorious.” "Not a song about Carnation instant breakfast,” Ewan Chaos quips. Well, the Carnation haters could use some protein for sure. Subomie seems to be struggling with appreciating beauty and perceiving Japanese, which appear to be connected somehow: "My katakana is a little messy but I really thought that said "Connection" for a good two weeks lmaoo.” Kyle-x gets it and remains one of the best members of this forum: "One of her most beautifully arranged songs.”

• Like 2

An 11 and a 0? :eek: And the 1st 11 at that! 

Now I feel bad for giving it a middling rating ddd. It's a nice song.  

:bird:

• Like 1

I know it's one of your faves so I won't drag it more, so lemme just say great b-sides, beautiful b-sides :johnald:

didn't know about Saito being on Iroha though, tf

Edited by AMIT
  • Like 1

Now what on Earth :deadbanana2:It really is just for those who GET it I suppose

• Like 1

this is one of her most listenable ballads, it's cute :flower:

• Like 1

A certain user was playing mind games with me to avoid inevitable meltdowns, but it only makes me more motivated to do stuff, so here's some more.

mathekr @Kyle-x @Curaga @gingguu @AMIT @Ewan Chaos @Meloetta Carey  @Subomie @Invisibility @Antisocialites @madonnas @confide in me @fauxtography

Mellow / メロウ

mellow.png

Score: 7 Album: Ze-Chyou Syuu / Watashi to Houden

Big Sheensters: AMIT (10)

Little NishiNOsters: fauxtography (3)

Originally its own single, it received a video following its inclusion on the b-side collection Watashi to Houden, so Sheena must like it quite a lot. The song is about a pair of psychopaths in love (my interpretation), and Sheena keeps accusing her partner of being crazier than her even though she was the one who sliced them with a knife. Maybe she's being an unreliable narrator? Mellow is the last thing I'd describe the song as. The language of colours permeates the song, too. I have mixed feelings about the song, mostly because the sis is being a bit too loud. But I can see some artistic value, too.

AMIT appreciates the assault on his ears and believes this is one of Sheena's finest moments: "this is noisy rock done right. it's sort of underrated I feel, but it is one of her best songs in my opinion. everything about it is so good. that bass! that outro! that video!”

• Like 3

Underrated is right! I loooove that she let loose on the harshness for this one

OT: not you joyless hacks eliminating Carnation already on this very page... she looked stunning on the cover photoshoot, and gave an excellent theatrical vocal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I (unfortunately) called it, I guess. :gaycat6:

Anyways, I can't say I'm surprised since this is from her indie era. I could have a meltdown, but thinking about it I don't really mind having a song like this be appreciated mostly by big fans like myself and people with taste in general:heart:

• Like 1

Now knowing the lyrics are about that maybe I need to bump my score to 10 :ryan3: us crazy girls see each other

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Creamy Season / おいしい季節

creamy.png

Score: 7,07 Album: Gyakuyunyuu ~Koukuukyoku~ (Reimport vol. 2)

Big Sheensters: mathekr, Meloetta Carey, Subomie, fauxtography, Kyle-x (9)

Little NishiNOsters: Curaga (3)

One of the two self-covers Sheena made of the songs she'd penned for Chiaki Kuriyama. People might recognize miss Chiaki as a girl from Battle Royale and Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill, though she's had tons of roles since then in her native Japan, and some of the doramas that I've watched or am planning to watch include her in some capacity. A queen. In 2010, she decided to start a singing career with her debut single 'Ryuusei no Namida', which remains her most successful one as everything else, well, flopped. For her debut album, CIRCUS, she enlisted Sheena's help, and she contributed two songs at first: Oishii Kisetsu and Ketteiteki Sanbunkan, which were released as a double single. Sheena claims that the song is about a young woman expressing her love, and while an innocent interpretation is valid, her giving it the official title of "The Creamy Season" doesn't exactly help things. But that's as per course for a woman who had this as her official DVD. I find both versions of the song cute, only for miss Chiaki, it's one of her best (considering she has like 20 songs), and for Sheena's standards it might be a bit lacking. And I'm sorry for the lacking visuals, I was out of good pictures from that year, but Subomie said the chocolate bar is a serve or something!

Curaga isn't a fan: "Pretty good till you get to the lame chorus. The more I listen to this, this more I dislike it. 😬" AMIT finds the song a bit too long for his… tastes: "not bad, but kinda just there for me, a bit too long for its own good.” Ewan Chaos can see right through Sheena's perverted nature: "Not the creamy season, let me holding my tongue on a joke sis.” The same goes for Meloetta Carey, who left this lascivious comment: "hot, sticky, and wet.” Subomie prefers the original, but praises the camp and the hastily put together cover: "It's camp. And the chocolate bar single cover? A visual artist if I've ever seen one. Not a 10 cus the original is a bitsy better.”

• Like 3

Her opening baby vocals are annoying here and that's unfortunately what I always remember about this song

The way the production picks up in the latter half>>>

• Like 3

Is Shiina our generation's Willy Wonka? Food for thought

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Ichijiku no Hana / 映日紅の花

ichijiku.png

Score: 7,14 Album: N/A

Big Sheensters: gingguu (11), Kyle-x, confide in me (10)

Little NishiNOsters: madonnas (2)

That was honestly one of the songs I had no idea about before the rate, though I don't think that it's shameful to admit as this is what the rates are for – to discover new music, and the same goes for hosts, too. The song was created by Sheena to commemorate her 5-year anniversary as a singer and was a part of the Baishou Ecstasy DVD (needed a special password to access). At first, I didn't find it particularly outstanding, but it grew on me with time, I can see myself coming back to it in the future. Lyrically, the song is about waiting for your secret lover, experiencing that love fully, and then falling out of love, with the flower language being featured prominently. In Buddhism, ichijiku no hana aka the fig tree symbolizes enlightenment, although the fact that she emphasizes the inability of the tree to bear fruit could mean that nothing was achieved as a result of the affair. The end of the song suggests that the lyrical hero will attempt to reach Nirvana like Buddha did, even if it means losing all the memories and the concept of self. 

madonnas isn't a fan, falling asleep as the song plays: "I'm snoozing a little sorry mama." Kyle-x recalls that woman who has a hundred Grammys or something: "'When You Say Nothing At All' but if Alison Krauss served *****." I'm sure she's a nice lady. AMIT shows off his musical knowledge, too: "super cute and the middle 8 (correct me if I'm wrong) is ethereal whew, her joni mitchell serve, I stan!" Stop trying to compare everyone to that woman!

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Invisibility said:

Her opening baby vocals are annoying here and that's unfortunately what I always remember about this song

This is what got to me the more I listened when I was trying to hone my rating. I thought I really, really loved this song because the verses and the production are fantastic, but the chorus and her delivery just ruined it for me. Not a bad song, but she's got much better to choose from in these singles. 

:gaycat5:

• Like 1

This sweet hymnal lullaby serve deserved higher :duck:

• Like 2

Need AMIT for the next one for that meltdown.

ezgif-1-28c90f3591.gif

• Haha 1

Ichijiku no Hana is cute but pales in comparison to the actual Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana singles

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.