This Was 2023 | And the winner is...

supaspaz

Expected to have Hollywood in my like... top 3 of the album with the EW&F feat, but I do think it's a great song!

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• Suilen

• Reverie

• glitch

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Does anyone actually know how to pronounce Amaarae? I've been saying it two different ways in my head. And both could be wrong!

Yeah I had look it up to make sure

I thought I was wrong but I had it right

• ATRL Moderator

aNKUOJG.png

SEX, VIOLENCE, SUICIDE

Average: 7.06

High Score: 10 (@supaspaz, @Alldeezy, @Ace Reject, @Born to Run)

Low score: 2 (@a_d_22, @creativity.)

Voter reaction to this musical saga of a brawling couple was nearly as dichotomous as the song itself, which begins as a trippy plea to a moody lover whose “looks could kill” like cancer or Ted Bundy before exploding into a punk temper tantrum. Despite tying for the most 10’s of any track outside the top ten, nearly a third of the scores for “Sex, Violence, Suicide” were below 5, dragging it down to the middle of the pack.

Best bit: “Don't care 'bout what I'm asking you/Just fucking tell me, ‘Yes’”

ATRL says…: “I love the instrumental,” @Alldeezy raved. “Was just about to say it needs more but then it picks up. I love it.” @glitch, on the other hand, recoiled from “the whiplash I got when this song switched up.” @Ewan Chaos shaded the competition. “In the second half of the song, she literally ended others in this rate whose initials are OR…” he wrote.

• ATRL Moderator

• Like 1

See real music lovers love Amaarae! Her diversity on this album :clap3:

• Like 1

That switch was interesting, I guess she could end Olivia in her own field if she tried.

• Haha 2

DAMN amazing song, but I figured it'd be on the lower end of the rate sadly :emofish:

• ATRL Moderator

We haven't seen Boygenius since #46, but they're back next!

I didn't expect Sex, Violence, Suicide to be so polarizing, the switch up was everything!

• ATRL Moderator

ybpZbjf.png

ANTI-CURSE

Average: 7.12

High Score: 9.5 (@supaspaz)

Low score: 5.5 (@Ewan Chaos)

An astonishing recollection of Julien Baker’s near-drowning experience at a Malibu beach while on a writing trip with Boygenius. As she regains her bearings amid the crashing waves and returns to shore with a newfound clarity, the band unleashes a barrage of drums and electric guitar and “Anti-Curse” transcends.

Best bit: “Tried to be a halfway decent friend/Wound up a bad comedian”

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

I'M SWIMMING BACK

CybuEaUVIAAF_HV.jpg

How is Amaarae's voice annoying :gaycat6:

• Like 1

Anti-Curse could grow on me if I ever give the album more spins.

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, Suilen said:

Anti-Curse could grow on me if I ever give the album more spins.

Whole album grew on me tremendously doing this rate. Well, not "Revolution 0." That one can still choke.

• ATRL Moderator

iac8IBa.png

EL DORADO

Average: 7.13

High Score: 10 (@Born to Run)

Low score: 5 (@4Real)

A quietly heartbreaking anthem about a military friend who took his own life after returning home. Zach Bryan promised to donate the profits from “El Dorado” to a veterans suicide prevention organization.

Best bit: “El Dorado, hell if they know the difference in a hero/And a man I wish was still by my side”

ATRL says…: Voters were perplexed by Kansans’ uncultured pronunciation of the titular town. “Why tf does he say it like that,” @a_d_22 asked. “HATE how he says Dorado,” @Ewan Chaos agreed, “don't care if someone explains to me it's the correct way it's pronounced or whatever.”

• ATRL Moderator

"El Dorado" also got four 5.5's, which I thought was very funny, because what a random score to get on nearly a quarter of the ballots.

I gave it a 9.5 because I have a heart.

• Thanks 1

Well, that's a noble cause.

• ATRL Moderator

47tHrXr.png

FEAR AND FRIDAY'S

Average: 7.15

High Score: 9.5 (@supaspaz)

Low score: 5 (@Alldeezy, @4Real, @Quicksand, @glitch, @Suilen)

Five tracks after Zach Bryan’s opening poem, he returns to those anxieties on this barnburner about the death knell of a relationship. All that remains is one more drunken house party on the edge of town and a farewell fuck.

Best bit: “I got a fear, dear, that it's gonna end/Won't you get angry at me, say you love me again?”

ATRL says…: @Ewan Chaos compared it to “the ‘Whiskey Fever’ of this album kinda (complementary).”

• ATRL Moderator

And with that, Zach Bryan dips below Boygenius. He now has the fewest tracks left in the rate. But that's it for him today.

Oh I thought both of these were lovely 

I have to admit that I don't fear Fridays that much since I work on Saturdays.

• ATRL Moderator

Lesson of this rate: ATRL may not like lesbians, but at least they're not men

• Haha 2

• ATRL Moderator

BsAMFby.png

PRINCESS GOING DIGITAL

Average: 7.18

High Score: 10 (@Ewan Chaos, @MP2K, @Reverie)

Low score: 2 (@kandicha)

Amaarae is ready to stop hoeing around and settle down with a new infatuation on this skittering club track from Fountain Baby, which is reminiscent of one of those great Neptunes productions from the early aughts.

Best bit: “Move when I move, I like it, baby” – and we do!

ATRL says…: “One of the best songs of last year,” @Ewan Chaos raved. “The intro, the man being all sexy, the BOPPERY of the song, oh yes it all came together for this one.” @a_d_22,who gave it a 4, partially agreed: “Best song on the album but it’s still not very good.” “was worried when I saw the song name but it’s probably the 2nd best song on the album. Didn't expect her to be kinda rocky.”

Can we go back to Olivia's lashings

Oh thats insane 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.