Country radio station refuses to play Beyoncé

paulie

6 minutes ago, swissman said:

They don't need to magically start playing her because she has a country song, but if someone requests to hear it and ... radios are supposed to listen to their requests (it's essentially why the presence of radio in charts has any validity whatsoever), to then say point blank they don't play Beyoncé because they only play country music whilst the person requested a Beyoncé country song, well...that is weird. It may not be surprising but it surely is loud and clear that they won't play her music...not that they won't play non-country music.

I edited my post and added more, as of course it's not the only reason and racism is surely at play as well.

But I don't think a station that's catering to a country audience would play a song by an artist who is not a known country artist or is known for releasing country music, just because they were told it's a country song.

I think it takes more than that, even if the person had heard the song. Also, a couple guitars and a country aesthetic doesn't suddenly make a full, authentic country sound that a country music station would want to play.

Edited by dawnettakins
  • Like 1

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swissman

• Nickimeetsatrl

• Lovett

• orange22

2 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

Well, I guess, her label should release her new single for Country format. :rip:  

Oh yes, it's her label's fault, not a radio station who has played only 2 women in their last 15 songs and no people of colour.

If only Columbia sent it to country radio, then they surely would play it.

And has the song even been sent to any other radio formats? I haven't heard so, and yet it's getting plays.

As it should. Beyonce is not a country artist and will never be :celestial5:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 25

Just now, swissman said:

Oh yes, it's her label's fault, not a radio station who has played only 2 women in their last 15 songs and no people of colour.

If only Columbia sent it to country radio, then they surely would play it.

And has the song even been sent to any other radio formats? I haven't heard so, and yet it's getting plays.

It's her label's job to release a song on the radio, and it needs to be advertised on a new format.

A song may get an uncoordinated plays on the radio, but these are small radio stations that start playing very viral songs (for example, this "Murder" Sophie hit). 

Not surprising, she will be fine without country radio support

4 minutes ago, IsidoraMarí said:

I just don't understand why Beyonce objectively makes the same songs she always makes but calls them another genre because the beat is different. It's still pop. It's like calling Four Five Seconds or California King Bed country songs, it's pop but if those stations feel the vibe they'll play it.

Are you slow? Every genere can be pop since the name means popular :skull: Morgan wallen is pop and country. You think pop is exclusive to Katy Pery & Ava Max sound? :toofunny3:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

what they meant to say

GGO2ro-XUAAts-Jh.jpg 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iam1925 said:

gatekeep girlboss gaslight, now with added racism!  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 minutes ago, dawnettakins said:

Racism could certainly play a part as well, but not all of it. Country music fans don't like Beyoncé and Beyoncé fans don't like country. Why all the sudden would these two worlds mesh when neither are about the other?

Make it make cents luv!

Perhaps you're speaking in hypberole but this is simply not true. There are plenty of country fans who like Beyoncé. There are plenty of Beyoncé fans who like country. They may not be the majority share, but to invalidate their interests as completely separate is part of the same issue where the radio station point blank refuses to play a bonafide country song simply because of who made it.

To your other comment, I understand all that goes into it, and even understand that a genre like country won't be welcoming to anyone switching it up and expecting instant open arms. However still, how they worded it (and yes it's vague so perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt) seemed either uninformed or willfully ignorant. I suppose it may be semantic, but saying "we only play country artists" vs. "we only play country music" are two different things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Fastlane said:

It's her label's job to release a song on the radio, and it needs to be advertised on a new format.

A song may get an uncoordinated plays on the radio, but these are small radio stations that start playing very viral songs (for example, this "Murder" Sophie hit). 

So what you're saying is if the label released the song to this format and advertised it there, that this station would suddenly no long "not play Beyoncé as we are a country music station"?

Edited by swissman

18 minutes ago, Brikenbur said:

The easy PROMO this will give “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM”

WIN WIN! :ryan3:

yes pop radio will now embrace it to not appear to be racist 

:ryan3:

• Thanks 1

radio stations didn't play Demi Lovato just because she suddenly said i'm rock :bibliahh:before going again pop with the next release.

I know you like to say "reinventation queens" cause they change producers and writers but Madonna can make a couple of rock songs on an album but still a pop artist for radios. They're  going to support their industry and their artists. She already stole these Electronic grammys from real electronic musicians. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 8

13 minutes ago, IsidoraMarí said:

I just don't understand why Beyonce objectively makes the same songs she always makes but calls them another genre because the beat is different. It's still pop. It's like calling Four Five Seconds or California King Bed country songs, it's pop but if those stations feel the vibe they'll play it.

And which other Beyoncé songs are the same as Texas Hold 'Em a song about leaving your home state but taking its culture and its virtues with you wherever you go?

9 minutes ago, iam1925 said:

•  
  • Favorite Type of Music: Pop
  • You don't know **** :lmao:
  • Haha 8
  • Thumbs Down 3

5 minutes ago, Raptus said:

Are you slow? Every genere can be pop since the name means popular :skull: Morgan wallen is pop and country. You think pop is exclusive to Katy Pery & Ava Max sound? :toofunny3:

No I think radio stations that play rap aren't playing eminem. 

Just now, vale9001 said:

radio stations didn't play Demi Lovato just because she suddenly said i'm rock :bibliahh:before going again pop with the next release.

I know you like to say "reinventation queens" cause they change producers and writers but Madonna can make a couple of rock songs on an album but still a pop artist for radios. They're  going to support their industry and their artists. She already stole these Electronic grammys from real electronic musicians. 

The comparison is far different. Demi released rock remixes of existing pop songs which ended up sounding more costumey than anything inherently "rock". It's a lot different than working with actual country musicians and putting out original material of the genre. Similarly, comparing Madonna's "couple of rock songs on an album" isn't the same thing either.

3 minutes ago, IsidoraMarí said:

No I think radio stations that play rap aren't playing eminem. 

Rap stations 100% play Eminem.

Just now, swissman said:

Rap stations 100% play Eminem.

Yeah the Shady 45 and ICP stations. 

4 minutes ago, swissman said:

And which other Beyoncé songs are the same as Texas Hold 'Em

!!!! I want to know as well. People just talk to talk at this point. 

Anyway, it's not surprising, we knew this will happen. Hive should not focus on that. 

People about to discover that Female country artists are basically blacklisted for decades.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, IsidoraMarí said:

Yeah the Shady 45 and ICP stations. 

I duno what those are, but at least in the heyday of Eminem I heard his songs on rap stations all the time.

10 minutes ago, swissman said:

Perhaps you're speaking in hypberole but this is simply not true. There are plenty of country fans who like Beyoncé. There are plenty of Beyoncé fans who like country. They may not be the majority share, but to invalidate their interests as completely separate is part of the same issue where the radio station point blank refuses to play a bonafide country song simply because of who made it.

To your other comment, I understand all that goes into it, and even understand that a genre like country won't be welcoming to anyone switching it up and expecting instant open arms. However still, how they worded it (and yes it's vague so perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt) seemed either uninformed or willfully ignorant. I suppose it may be semantic, but saying "we only play country artists" vs. "we only play country music" are two different things.

Many stations even want to play album tracks on pop radio, but if they are not released on this format as a single (they are not added to the database), then they cannot be played.

Just now, BnPac said:

!!!! I want to know as well. People just talk to talk at this point. 

Anyway, it's not surprising, we knew this will happen. Hive should not focus on that. 

Y'all expect people to answer a subjective question that you'll never be content with. 

Just now, swissman said:

I duno what those are, but at least in the heyday of Eminem I heard his songs on rap stations all the time.

lol

This is why she is reclaiming country music from the pickup truck bros. (Who have ruined the genre)

• Like 4

Radio is weird. It's not like 25 years ago where you could call in a request. I've tried to do it on top 40 stations when my faves release and I would get similar messages. Those bigger stations are owned out by bigger corporations like iHeart..etc. They already have the same old songs they're allowed to play drawn up in a database. There's a reason why a lot of the top 40 stations play the same 20 or so songs over and over with a couple throwbacks in it. It's all pre programmed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.