• cat1867

• MEGA

• imabadkid

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, harwee said:

Perched this is big

But they'd be more succesful if they have Sony and Warner with them

Maybe they will remove their catalouge too

I mean TBH I've been on TikTok since 2019 and back in the day even the BIG TikTok accounts like Noah Beck, Bryce Hall, Larray, Addison, etc. were all dancing to rap music. There was v little pop music on TikTok back then, it was mostly underground trap music and mostly unsigned random rappers whose sounds would blow up... I feel like that was TikTok at its best. It's changed since then but I feel like what makes the music side of TikTok special is it doesn't have to have super mainstream artist.

• Like 1

2C56EB9F-ECDE-4926-9F5B-EAFCD728B8BE.jpg

Universal Music Group (UMG) says it will pull its entire music catalog from TikTok when its contract with the service expires on Wednesday (Jan. 31), accusing the platform of “trying to build a music-based business, without paying fair value for the music,” according to a new open letter.

In the letter, released Tuesday (Jan. 30) and addressed to UMG artists and songwriters, the company states that it’s particularly concerned about the rates that TikTok is offering to pay for its catalog. Other points of contention include the amount of content on TikTok that infringes its artists’ and songwriters’ works without providing “meaningful solutions” to help them combat it, the level of hate and harassment on the platform and TikTok’s stances on artificial intelligence (AI).

“With respect to the issue of artist and songwriter compensation, TikTok proposed paying our artists and songwriters at a rate that is a fraction of the rate that similarly situated major social platforms pay,” the letter reads.

Also according to UMG, during the negotiations, the ByteDance-owned social giant “demanded a contractual right which would allow [AI] content to massively dilute the royalty pool for human artists” while “developing tools to enable, promote and encourage AI music creation on the platform itself,” which UMG states is “nothing short of sponsoring artist replacement by AI.”

Full open letter is up on Billboard: https://www.billboard.com/business/streaming/taylor-swift-bts-music-leave-tiktok-umg-talks-collapse-1235593509/

Edited by NOW

Welp

Music is saved

• Like 2

I said this in the other thread but I've been on TikTok since 2019 and back in the day even the BIG TikTok accounts like Noah Beck, Bryce Hall, Larray, Addison, etc. were all dancing to rap music. There was v little pop music on TikTok back then, it was mostly underground trap music and mostly unsigned random rappers whose sounds would blow up... I feel like that was TikTok at its best. It's changed since then but I feel like what makes the music side of TikTok special is you don't have to have mainstream artists on there. If anything back then the underground sound made it feel more organic. A lot of the sounds that blow up are too contrived nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which celebrity will be most affected?

Charlie its time to post a new tik tok and go viral!!

Edited by Insanity

Camilas new era over before it even started :toofunny2:

9 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

I said this in the other thread but I've been on TikTok since 2019 and back in the day even the BIG TikTok accounts like Noah Beck, Bryce Hall, Larray, Addison, etc. were all dancing to rap music. There was v little pop music on TikTok back then, it was mostly underground trap music and mostly unsigned random rappers whose sounds would blow up... I feel like that was TikTok at its best. It's changed since then but I feel like what makes the music side of TikTok special is you don't have to have mainstream artists on there. If anything back then the underground sound made it feel more organic. A lot of the sounds that blow up are too contrived nowadays.

Yup. Vine was the same way musically.

Other than Shawn Mendes, Bazzi, and Ruth B, so many rap & R&B people got their big break or virality on the platform:

Silento, Fetty Wap, Mick Jenkins, Ella Mai, Summerella, Jay Versace, etc.

6 minutes ago, Junipero said:

Taylor. Her catalog and the Eras tour have heavily benefitted from TikTok

Cruel Summer never would've smashed without TikTok promoting the Eras tour

She will, however, be fine without TikTok though.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, Junipero said:

Most major artists depend on TikTok in this day and age including Taylor and Drake.

Pulling their music will definitely hurt them. They would not have had their recent hits without the vitality on TikTok (which happens from allowing their music and not taking down audios due to copywriting)

• Confused 1

It's back to abcdefu

• Haha 1

So it comes down to who blinks first then. Good luck. :coffee2:

let's be real, Tiktok is the new thang

UMG is not thinking this through

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I'm p sure TikTok doesn't care that much about this. It's not like they don't have hundreds of millions of songs on their platform anyway and users will find a way to sneak in their fave's music sooner than later. This will only affect UMG and their small artists

Edited by Trainwreck
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MEGA said:

UM... sza is under sony ?

Yes, RCA Records, to be exact.

Under the Sony umbrella, SZA is alongside Doja Cat (RCA), Adele (Columbia), Khalid (RCA), Beyonce (Columbia), Tyler the Creator (Columbia), Xtina (RCA), Normani (RCA), Future (Epic), Harry Styles (Columbia), Solange (Columbia), Vampire Weekend (Columbia), Lil Nas X (Columbia), Meghan Trainor (Epic), Zara Larsson (Epic), Latto (RCA), H.E.R. (RCA), Madison Beer (Epic), Pink (RCA), Jazmine Sullivan (RCA), Justin Timberlake (RCA), Chris Brown (RCA), Britney Spears (RCA), Luke Combs (Columbia Nashville).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.