UMG to remove music from TikTok

Devin

13 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Yup. Vine was the same way musically.

Other than Shawn Mendes, Bazzi, and Ruth B, so many rap & R&B people got their big break or virality on the platform:

Silento, Fetty Wap, Mick Jenkins, Ella Mai, Summerella, Jay Versace, etc.

Oh wow, weirdly enough I missed the Vine train... by the time I got on it was too late but I was super early on TikTok basically long before it took over the world and when the FYP was 90% TikTok influencers.

I wouldn't mind going back to the days when underground artists blew up on there, once record labels got involved it got lame. Some underground sounds still blow up but nearly as much as it did in 2019 and 2020.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• cat1867

• MEGA

• Dr. Alexander

5 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Yes, RCA Records, to be exact.

Under the Sony umbrella, SZA is alongside Doja Cat (RCA), Adele (Columbia), Khalid (RCA), Beyonce (Columbia), Tyler the Creator (Columbia), Xtina (RCA), Normani (RCA), Future (Epic), Harry Styles (Columbia), Solange (Columbia), Vampire Weekend (Columbia), Lil Nas X (Columbia), Meghan Trainor (Epic), Zara Larsson (Epic), Latto (RCA), H.E.R. (RCA), Madison Beer (Epic), Pink (RCA), Jazmine Sullivan (RCA), Justin Timberlake (RCA), Chris Brown (RCA), Britney Spears (RCA), Luke Combs (Columbia Nashville).

LOL so why are they using her and adeles images in this article ?

6 minutes ago, trainsskyscrapers said:

Yes, RCA Records, to be exact.

Under the Sony umbrella, SZA is alongside Doja Cat (RCA), Adele (Columbia), Khalid (RCA), Beyonce (Columbia), Tyler the Creator (Columbia), Xtina (RCA), Normani (RCA), Future (Epic), Harry Styles (Columbia), Solange (Columbia), Vampire Weekend (Columbia), Lil Nas X (Columbia), Meghan Trainor (Epic), Zara Larsson (Epic), Latto (RCA), H.E.R. (RCA), Madison Beer (Epic), Pink (RCA), Jazmine Sullivan (RCA), Justin Timberlake (RCA), Chris Brown (RCA), Britney Spears (RCA), Luke Combs (Columbia Nashville).

I believe her publishing is under UMG.

3 minutes ago, MEGA said:

LOL so why are they using her and adeles images in this article ?

SZA is distributed through UMG it looks like even though they're on RCA. But she's on Top Dawg record label as well.

This has already happened in the beggining of 2020 but before / at the start of the pandemic so tiktok wasnt as big and as impactful as it is now. I remember that i was annoyed tho cuz i was already keeping track imo :laugh: 

anyway, for me this is Universal being greedy.

Edited by Selegend

1 minute ago, NOW said:

I believe her publishing is under UMG.

oh **** your right hmm why would she want 2 different umbrellas in her pocket 

Just now, Armani? said:

SZA is distributed through UMG it looks like even though they're on RCA

no its just her pub

I understand the fight against AI but TikTok is so integral to getting artists songs found. Among young generations a song going viral can make it an instant hit or even revive old ones as we saw with Cruel Summer and other even older hits.

Not sure where I stand on it right now because I hate the concept of tiktok music (shortened, sped up) and running stuff into the ground /associating a song with a trend but I love that people can discover songs so easily. Hmmm

• Like 11

Heavy Metal Lover still hasn't peaked yet.. we LOST

• Like 1

TikTok is extremely powerful and pretty much the most important  marketing tool currently so I feel this is a bit shortsighted on their part, but I’m interested to see how this plays out.

I wonder if this will signal a rise in independent music.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gossip_Boy said:

TikTok is extremely powerful and pretty much the most important  marketing tool currently so I feel this is a bit shortsighted on their part, but I’m interested to see how this plays out.

I wonder if this will signal a rise in independent music.

This detail of UMG's open letter shocked me:

With respect to the issue of artist and songwriter compensation, TikTok proposed paying our artists and songwriters at a rate that is a fraction of the rate that similarly situated major social platforms pay. Today, as an indication of how little TikTok compensates artists and songwriters, despite its massive and growing user base, rapidly rising advertising revenue and increasing reliance on music-based content, TikTok accounts for only about 1% of our total revenue.

• Like 2

UMG dumb for this 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

I don’t consume Music through tiktok, just independent artists every now and then so idgaf 

I'm not sure how this actually stops their music making it onto the platform through unofficial means though?

It's going to be a nightmare for them trying to police all the sped-up/pitch adjusted/AI altered audios.

Youtube Shorts is worse than Tiktok, but atleast I don't have to use Tiktok. And I can still listen to the biggest artists on the planet :gaycat1:

9 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

I'm not sure how this actually stops their music making it onto the platform through unofficial means though?

It's going to be a nightmare for them trying to police all the sped-up/pitch adjusted/AI altered audios.

It’s giving 2010 YouTube trying to find Rihanna Love The Way You Lie Part 2 not sped up or pitched :deadbanana2: everything is just a cycle 

• Like 2

They just want more money to feed their greedy fat ass:giraffe:

• Like 1

This is so short sighted of UMG. :skull: I'm sure they're right that the money they get from TikTok itself isn't exactly fair compensation, but do they not realize how much extra revenue they're getting from that exposure? So many of their biggest artists are seeing new music and catalog boosts they would not be seeing without TikTok, that surely leads to enough extra profit (that again would not be there without this exposure) to make up for whatever they're not getting from the platform itself. And if TikTok doesn't take the bait (because let's be real, UMG needs TikTok more than the other way around) they'll have sacrificed both sources of extra revenue purely because of greed and a lack of long term vision. :deadbanana:

I haven't read what they said (if anything) about AI though so maybe they made points in that regard.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

One of the best things to happen to humanity in a long time 

• Thanks 2

****ing finally, jesus 

maybe people will stop making music solely focused on going tiktok viral 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

time for influencers to use those non-copyright sounds from youtube :sistrens:

I think your opinion of this kinda comes down to whether you see TikTok more as a promotional tool for the artist or more like a streaming platform, and I guess the answer is that it’s somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 1

no way some of yall are siding with the fat cats at the biggest record label in the world posturing like they care about fair artist compensation just cause u dont like an app :shakeno:

maybe they do have a bit of a point though with the ai generated music

Edited by Butters
  • Thumbs Down 1

Literally every label and artist has been relying in TikTok to get interest and attention, this is only going to hurt Universal and its artists. Tate McRae has said that she’s expected to promote her music herself on platforms like TikTok and her recent success is driven by TikTok. The platform will continue to exist but users will just pick different songs to go viral. It’s brave what Universal is doing but I think it will hurt them more than tiktok unless other labels do the same. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.