• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Devin

• cat1867

• MEGA

• Dr. Alexander

OMG. Artist will have to write songs over 2 minutes and 20 seconds now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Junipero said:

Which celebrity will be most affected?

The Weeknd? Also Kpop artists under UMG 

51 minutes ago, Shimenawa said:

Yeah cancel TikTok. Artists will have to work and promote again

We do :rip: Making posts every day is work first of anll and most artists would rather be performing on a tv show instead trust me. Labels basically tell artists “make a lot of TikToks in your room and hope for the best” nowadays. It’s humiliating half the time, it’s like begging people to listen to you. Has nothing to do w showing your craft.

People complaining about tiktok sound so old, its a great app and has given many great songs the success they deserve.

Besises speed versions will continue to be used

• Thumbs Down 1

My guess is that TikTok is developing a tool where users can make their own songs, as in “Blank Space in Portuguese sung by Coldplay with a House beat”, which will make Spotify and streaming services obsolete.

I think this is a step in the right direction. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

every day the chances of “in my head” getting it’s Truth Hurts/Cruel Summer moment get lower and lower but I will never give up!

UMG are smart to do so. Aren't they the biggest thing in the western music world? Pretty much everyone we stan is under them.

TikTok will bend eventually, sooner then later, and UMG will get what they want.

• Thanks 3

Welp, Eternal Sunshine is doomed :rip:

But how is Adele involved? She's signed to Columbia which is owned by Sony? It has nothing to do with UMG. 

labels are so dumb and out of touch, all these artists are benefitting from going viral on tiktok and getting streamed on spotify or AM as a result 

its not like people are consuming full songs through tiktok and the artists aren’t getting paid, they get discovered there and streamed on other platforms, are they gonna block people from using songs in instagram stories next because that’s basically the same thing 

Edited by K$Ellie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok but I hope they realise that will just stop people from discovering new music. The charts already have enough old songs charting as it is at the moment. If you don't make new music easily accessible through the medium people have gotten used to, then that's only going to get worse.

I’m honestly baffled by people who think this will hurt UMG. UMG has every right to do this and I’m glad they are. What the artists are asking for is basic and should be guaranteed. 

I feel like people fail to see that UMG is looking to protect their artists. There’s no way they would risk pissing off that roster with a decision like this. If they truly back out from TikTok they have full permission from the big names to do so. I know as an artist I’d be pissed if a random company pocketed all that money from my content and failed to give me protection against AI.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

that's their loss, it will just affect their artists negatively 

tiktok is what makes songs popular nowadays, they don't need UMG, UMG needs them

Also for UMG's part, they own so many big name's music that tiktok promo largely moves around listernship between UMG artists.  UMG gets paid the same whether someone listens to say Taylor or Ariana even if tiktok promo helps Taylor more. Tiktok isn't creating much additional value for UMG.

Tiktok was supposed to help create new superstars for UMG. They have basically failed at that so they need to actually properly pay artists and UMG.

• Thanks 2

I support them in this but idk how successful this really is. Sadly tiktok is currently a massive hit making machine and with other companies still allowing their music to be on it that would just mean their music thrived and people would move on

Theres no way you guys are mad over a label wanting AI protection after what happened with their biggest artist last week :coffee2:

• Like 6

Also tiktok is super unpopular in Washington DC. UMG has a good bit of lobbying power. It wouldn't be surprising if they get congress to pass a law that strictly regulates them

do independent artists like Tinashe get affected? cause if not then maybe tiktok will finally use her music instead :duca:

By the way, it also applies to any song that has at least one UMG song writer since it also applies to their publishing arm. 

UMG label controls about 40% of the American music market and its publishing around 30%. So this will be an extremely high percentage of American/British music that won't be able to be used.

This means L4 won't be on TikTok :biblio:

6 hours ago, Saintlor said:

Taylor. Her catalog and the Eras tour have heavily benefitted from TikTok

Cruel Summer never would've smashed without TikTok promoting the Eras tour

She will, however, be fine without TikTok though.

This makes no sense. Promoting the eras tour has nothing to do with this ban. The Eras Tour will still be promoted there. 

• Like 1

Don’t really think this will change anything tbh

8 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

This makes no sense. Promoting the eras tour has nothing to do with this ban. The Eras Tour will still be promoted there. 

Ban will include all of her songs from Lover onwards since UMG was also her songwriting publisher. This will include tour performances for said songs.

2 minutes ago, cat1867 said:

Ban will include all of her songs from Lover onwards since UMG was also her songwriting publisher. This will include tour performances for said songs.

But her tour performances are not licensed. You don't need to pay to record an artist singing live. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.