Is Madonna really bigger than Taylor and Mariah?

Angelo

It's the longevity and impact Madonna has had that made bigger. She basically started it all and has most likely done it all.

Edited by BorderBoy
  • Like 1

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevyy

• readytowind

• GlamSlam

• Kasix

The way no one makes threads disrespecting Michael Jackson's legacy, but threads about Madonna like this are being made weekly.:rip:The misogyny is real. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Madonna hasn’t felt relevant or even talked about since the MDNA era

It feels like her star power has completely collapsed

She's literally on a sold out tour that ends with 5 sold out dates at the same place in Mexico. Most of her stops have multiple dates as well, specially outside of the USA. Her star power currently is probably just weaker than Taylor and Bey :rip:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Angelo said:

I think ATRL overrate Madonna too much. Is she really the biggest artist? I think currently, Mariah and Taylor (even Kylie Minogue) are much bigger. 

What do you think?

:rip: You have got to be kidding. This sounds like the same person who trolls Madonna and her fans on digital spy, the UK chart company and posts long hate filled rants (masked as reviews) on Amazon.

The answer is NO. None of them are bigger - not globally anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, Blank Space said:

The way no one makes threads disrespecting Michael Jackson's legacy, but threads about Madonna like this are being made weekly.:rip:The misogyny is real. 

Gays hate women, specially after 50 and specially outspoken women. We been knew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Madonna was popular in the 80s when my parents were in their late teens. Fast forward 20 years and she was still popular in the 2000s when I was a kid. Very few artists have that kind of longevity.

I don't think Mariah has had the global success that Madonna had

Taylor... Swift

The same can be said about both Mariah and Taylor though. Taylor was popular in the 2000s when I was a kid and my sister was a baby. 20 years later, I'm a grown up reaching 30, and my sister is almost an adult and Taylor is still slaying. 

OT: Madonna is of course bigger for now. 

Edited by Badgalbriel
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Yes to both.

Mariah is bigger than Madonna in some key markets (US & Japan for example), but globally Madonna has the upper hand. It's the same scenario for Taylor, although of course she is still going very strong and is the most likely candidate to surpass her, at least commercially & touring wise.

Edited by Feanor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blank Space said:

The way no one makes threads disrespecting Michael Jackson's legacy

People may not make threads about MJ but once his name is mentioned, all hell breaks loose.

:rip:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Anthropocene said:

Mariah is honestly only huge in the US. Here in the UK she's only mentioned at Christmas and nowhere near as big as Madonna or Taylor. 

Madonna's name has much more star power than Taylor and Mariah IMO, although Taylor is much more relevant with Gen-Z/X. 

Well, thats because she's much younger. 20 years from now, we will be talking about how "younger artist name" is much more relevant with "future Gen name" than Taylor. 

How is Mariah "bigger" in the U.S. than Madonna?

What are we basing it on? Units sold? Single units sold? Album units sold?

Taylor is the biggest. I don't understand it. I hope one day people will wake up the way they woke up about Marvel. But personal feelings aside, Taylor is the biggest. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

6 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

The same can be said about both Mariah and Taylor though. Taylor was popular in the 2000s when I was a kid and my sister was a baby. 20 years later, I'm a grown up reaching 30, and my sister is almost an adult and Taylor is still slaying. 

OT: Madonna is of course bigger for now. 

I agree about Mariah but with Taylor you're comparing you and your sister. My point is that Madonna's popularity lasted generations, maybe in 5-10 years we can have that conversation about Taylor (whose career trajectory is an anomaly anyway)

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

People may not make threads about MJ but once his name is mentioned, all hell breaks loose.

:rip:

hee hee

Just now, Jewel said:

Taylor is the biggest. I don't understand it. I hope one day people will wake up the way they woke up about Marvel. But personal feelings aside, Taylor is the biggest. 

I think comparing Taylor to Marvel is very apt.

• Like 1

Just now, Jay07 said:

I think comparing Taylor to Marvel is very apt.

It isn't. Taylor has been going strong for 18 years. Marvel lasted 9 years as a relevant cinematic universe. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

I agree about Mariah but with Taylor you're comparing you and your sister. My point is that Madonna's popularity lasted generations, maybe in 5-10 years we can have that conversation about Taylor (whose career trajectory is an anomaly anyway)

hee hee

Not only that. 20 years in and Madonna wasn't the biggest female artist of the moment. 20 years in and Taylor still is the biggest female artist of the moment. Not even the new girls can compete. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

It isn't. Taylor has been going strong for 18 years. Marvel lasted 9 years as a relevant cinematic universe. 

I was talking more about quality and serving the masses what is familiar but sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

Not only that. 20 years in and Madonna wasn't the biggest female artist of the moment. 20 years in and Taylor still is the biggest female artist of the moment. Not even the new girls can compete. 

Taylor started in 2006. So it's been 17 years, not 20.

When Madonna's career was 17 years it was 1999 and she had just released Ray of Light a year before and was selling over 16M copies from that album (which at the point had the biggest debut EVER for a female album...and yes, in the USA), an album that had multiple hits...she also just had a huge WW hit single with Austin Powers song Beautiful Stranger and was a year away from releasing Music, another #1 album for her and 3 #1 hits WW with American Pie, Music and Don't Tell Me and unlike Taylor she wasn't in her 30's...she was actually in her 40's and having hits with everything she released...something you don't even see currently for an over 40 year old popstar.

Her star power was through the roof at that point. In 2000 Madonna had the biggest Internet concert in history...a record she still holds after 11 million people watched her perform live on a live performance to promote Music. It was her comeback concert after 7 or 8 years away from performing live. She also scheduled her first tour in years that sold out the day tickets went on sale. 

I don't know what you mean with your post but it was amusing to read you trying to stretch Taylor's career as a  20 year career only cause you knew it would match Madonna's American Life era, lmao. (an album that Taylor would never release cause she would never risk allienating her republican fans or actually get political)

• Like 10

My grandparents know who madonna is and can’t tell who are mariah and Taylor specially Taylor