Is Taylor Swift overrated?

Lana Banana

2 minutes ago, CBC said:

Will they do something about it? I doubt it. The mods love seeing Taylor being dragged in this site.

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lana Banana

• BtDecember

• Robyn.

• GraceRandolph

I’d argue it’s impossible to witness this level of commercial and cultural dominance and not consider if it’s overrated, especially if you’re not a fan of her music. So, maybe? 

• Like 1

I personally am loving everything that’s been going on with her. But if you’re not a fan I understand why you’d be fatigued of it all. 

• Like 1

I’m a stan, but yeah being realistic, a lot of the time she really is :michael:

she’s not the best lyricist out there, a lot of her lyrics/lyrical topics are quite pedestrian. she’s a stronger melodist in my opinion, having excellent melodies throughout her career is truly something to behold, especially considering how she rarely has more than one co-writer on any given song! but yeah, there are a few songs such as All Too Well (10 Minute Version) and Timeless and I Bet You Think About Me which are severely overrated and are overkill in the lyrical department. I like the 5 minute versions of All Too Well far better, they’re so much more effective and less of a chore to listen to! I have a lot of favs (Joanna Newsom, Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell, Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse, Fiona Apple, Mitski, Weyes Blood, Rickie Lee Jones, Perfume Genius to name a few) who are significantly better/more consistent on the lyrical front. it’s Taylor’s melodies that always catch my attention, and on certain songs like The Archer, Mirrorball, Gold Rush, and You’re on Your Own, Kid, she really can intoxicate you with very excellent lyricism

people overrate her lyrics to high heavens and I’m honestly not quite sure why. I can name a few more people who are actually present IRL for me who write better lyrics/poetry lol

but as a full-fledged artist, I love her cause her music is always of high quality in the way it sounds. wonderful vocals, great melodies, great production… and sometimes some standout lyrics

• Like 6

In songwriting hell no 

But in everting else like vocals, stage presence,  beauty, overall music outside of lyrics hell yeah

Edited by Mtjjproducer

11 minutes ago, CBC said:

Well if I’m not the first person saying it then :rip: 

• Haha 1

Her music stimulates your intuition, and it makes more vulnerable, I don't know how to explain it. 

I'm going to talk about my experience with her: her songs really make you feel... connected and like she understands what you are going through. I think that her music, specially her sad songs, are really good at portraying her feelings, and it is almost like she is replicating a cinematic experience in your head. She is REALLY good at making you feel like the main character sometimes, and as the filler character, in other times.

I understand what you are saying. 8 years ago I was so used to the mega-pop sound that Gaga-Katy-Rihanna were making that I couldn't understand why people liked her so much. It just comes with exposition: her music stimulates that soft part that we all have, deep inside. It is really important to understand her lyrics, too. It is not about the rhythm, it is about the lyrics. 

No, she is not overrated. She is just really good at making her fans happy, and she has found a niche that really finds meaning in everything that she does. 

I'll leave this reel here, so you understand a little better: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqwfvBdgmzA/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sebastián Muñoz said:

Her music stimulates your intuition, and it makes more vulnerable, I don't know how to explain it. 

I'm going to talk about my experience with her: her songs really make you feel... connected and like she understands what you are going through. I think that her music, specially her sad songs, are really good at portraying her feelings, and it is almost like she is replicating a cinematic experience in your head. She is REALLY good at making you feel like the main character sometimes, and as the filler character, in other times.

I understand what you are saying. 8 years ago I was so used to the mega-pop sound that Gaga-Katy-Rihanna were making that I couldn't understand why people liked her so much. It just comes with exposition: her music stimulates that soft part that we all have, deep inside. It is really important to understand her lyrics, too. It is not about the rhythm, it is about the lyrics. 

No, she is not overrated. She is just really good at making her fans happy, and she has found a niche that really finds meaning in everything that she does. 

I'll leave this reel here, so you understand a little better: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqwfvBdgmzA/

I get what you’re saying because all of that clicked with me and Lana Del Rey 12 years ago. I’m hoping for a civil discussion here and it is very possible that something by TS might click with me eventually but all the things I’ve seen (and I know it’s not THE portrayal of her artistry) on TV were Shake It Off (which I consider one of the most annoying songs of the century), Blank Space, ME!. That’s just me naming the first ones that I can think of when talking about Taylor. 

I was just thinking about this myself, last night.

Beyonce, for example, hasd been attacked for being overrated...but for her I guess it's more about the success aspect not been as evident as her reputation //not on the same level (not that she isn't successful, but there were lots of critiques towards her stats) Someone will say that she deserves more.

While for Taylor's type of success - it's more normal because her success is logical. It's obvious that she works really hard and is smart about her business + she makes music that is easily listenable and doesn't make it hard for certain groups of people to like.

I guess there is a difference in what aspect of theirs, people find overrated - Reputation or Success.

Also, probably because when it was B's cultural peak, she was getting compared to really big legends.. While for Taylor - she was made more of her own name. No one else was mentioned. That's why there isn't much controversy with Tay.

I think it's a lot of other aspects too...public image and type of PR for example, too come in place.

edit: realized I was talking about more of why Tay isn't seen as overrated rather if she is..

Edited by Rev8
  • Confused 3

She’s underrated :heart: We should praise her more :clap3:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

36 minutes ago, Daddy said:

Is the McDonalds of pop overrated? I do think so. 

Still waiting on McDonald’s Michelin stars like Taylor gets with reviews and accolades :celestial5:

• Thanks 1

Not by the GP. 
Yes by the Grammys (Midnights doesn’t deserve this years AOTY nom, in my opinion). 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, getBusy said:

Not by the GP. 
Yes by the Grammys (Midnights doesn’t deserve this years AOTY nom, in my opinion). 

The only way you can argue it doesn’t even deserve a nom is if you literally think the category should all be indie’d albums three people in Portland can recognize

2 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

The only way you can argue it doesn’t even deserve a nom is if you literally think the category should all be indie’d albums three people in Portland can recognize

That’s not the only way but go off sis

20 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

edit: realized I was talking about more of why Tay isn't seen as overrated rather if she is..

she's white

33 minutes ago, Lana Banana said:

I get what you’re saying because all of that clicked with me and Lana Del Rey 12 years ago. I’m hoping for a civil discussion here and it is very possible that something by TS might click with me eventually but all the things I’ve seen (and I know it’s not THE portrayal of her artistry) on TV were Shake It Off (which I consider one of the most annoying songs of the century), Blank Space, ME!. That’s just me naming the first ones that I can think of when talking about Taylor. 

I would like to add something else, there is a virtue that she has that a lot of people underestimate: her authenticity and honesty.

Music nowadays is not about being all over the top with brutal performances basically showing how exceptional I am and how everyone should admire me (Britney back in the day, Adele, Gaga). It's more about fans connecting with your words, believing in the sincerity behind them.  That's why Taylor, and other artists like Billie, are having an amazing rate of success: because people believe in their music, and their songs make them cry, make them feel a cathartic feeling, because they understand what Taylor is singing about, they understand the hidden messages and what person she is talking about, etc. They believe that what she is saying is genuine. 

That's another thing that I admire about her: in a time when being all sexual, showing your body and singing about boobs was a synonym of success, she stayed true to her essence. Even if she didn't know if she could succeed with the rerecording projects, she stayed true to what she believed was the right thing to do (I thought it was a really bad idea, because it would devaluate her music A LOT. Later I found out I was in the wrong side of history, haha). In a time when a lot of artists were singing catchy and really good bops that they didn't write, she stayed true to keep writing her music.

So, basically that's it. Yes, a lot of her fans (maybe the majority) find ME! annonying as hell, I hate that song. But we understand why she wrote that song, we understand the story behind it. Just like with Shake it off, it all seems cringy sometimes, but it all seems like pure and honest fun: she makes honest art.

Edit: I've got some songs I'd recommend if you want to keep getting into the whole Taylormania vibe: Tolerate it, Better Man, Exile, Breathe, Last Kiss, Marjorie, Treacherous, Mastermind, You are on your own, kid.

Remember, is not about the rhythm, it's about the lyrics. 

Edited by Sebastián Muñoz
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, BtDecember said:

Will they do something about it? I doubt it. The mods love seeing Taylor being dragged in this site.

swifties do it the best. if the mods crack down on "taylor being dragged" there won't be many of them left soon enough

ot: well, yes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.