GUTS out of the top 10 after 7 weeks. SOUR did 55. What happened?

Beyonnaise

Based on HDD’s album projection released today, Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album will be exiting the top 10 of the Billboard 200 Sunday after 7 weeks.

This is a dramatic decline from SOUR which did over a year in the upper rung of the chart less than two years ago. Why did this happen? Is it the singles strategy? Are people less interested in Olivia? Where does she go from here?

spacer.png

• Haha 5

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sourprint

• unclefloprry

• Blackout2006

• naval23

no hit on the album and the album itself is not even interesting. she needed to do something different and new after the hype she created with her mega smash debut album 

I posted in a thread earlier about this. I think GUTS missed the mark on hitting what the GP is looking for, BUT, I think largely the biggest reason for being out of the Top 10 already is the ultra-competitive landscape today vs. that of 2 years ago.

Namely, these days in the top 10 there's almost always at least 2-3 Taylor albums, SZA's SOS, 1-2 Morgan Wallen albums, and more recently Drake, Bad Bunny, Zach Bryan... To be in the top 10 these days you have to hit 40k+ vs 2 years ago 30k+ was usually good enough.

Although that being said, SOUR was just THAT smash, and had 5 weeks at 100k+ and still by Week 7 was at 88k. So a combination of factors. 

Edited by Jpkun
  • Like 2

littlebodybigheart

the album is good but it’s not exceptional. not that sour was either, but it at least had that novelty of her being a “breakout star”.

• Like 1

her tour is gonna be sold out regardless :clap3:

• Like 2

Let’s wait until final numbers before these typo of posts :rip:  Some users are pathetic 

even if she misses top 10 , she will return there eventually :coffee2:

• Like 1

Too bad, this album is WAYYY better than Sour (bloated ballad mess of an album with some cute songs) 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 4

I haven’t seen her since the release? Is she even promoting. She is only on her 2nd release. You have to be everywhere at that stage in your career. Also her first album was driven by TikTok. TikTok isn’t supporting it this time.

• Like 2

These posts, I thought the charts had come earlier than expected... let it get officially released at least :toofunny3:

Also, the charts have seen crazy movements and album bombs in the past couple of weeks.

The album is good and the numbers are solid, even if it doesn't have a massive hot song like Sour

• Like 1

I'm still shocked that Vampire ended up being the only smash on the album. Everyone swore that single #2 was gonna blow it out of the water...

• Like 1

This era is a complete non-event.

The worst type of underperformance is the one where not even they gays talk about you, not even to drag you for flopping

ezgif-6-375c23bdde57.gif

• Like 8
  • Haha 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

Idk she should have pushed Get Him Back harder it could have been a cute top 10

• Like 1

The handling of this era is clearly terrible. It’s like they just stopped caring after the album release, they didn’t even really push another song. The Grudge or Love Is Embarrassing needed to be pushed. It’s not too late but the album is clearly underperforming, down to 39k (less than SOS) on week 7 is hard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

arts not charts 

ezgif-6-375c23bdde57.gif

38 minutes ago, Kyoto said:

Sophomore slump, but the atrl gays will try to deny

But this thread isn't about Billie 

Both Olivia and Billie thought they were already established. They weren't 

• Like 1

The GP finally said no to the recycled sound, no-artistic growth sophomore album 

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.