Devin

Artists  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Most Classics?

• Rihanna
    • Taylor Swift
    • Katy Perry

6 minutes ago, airplane said:

and it'll be soon.. i mean it took reputation 5 years to jump from platinum to 2x

It took ANTI nearly 4 years to go 1X Platinum and you're attempting to drag reputation for taking 5 years to move double the units?

It took Midnights 8 months to go 2X Platinum. It took Lover 4 years. It took reputation 5 years. It took 1989 6 months

We are approaching ANTI's eighth anniversary and it is still not 2X Platinum :rip: 

Edited by Raspberries

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• airplane

• lonnie

• Axelios

2 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

It took ANTI nearly 4 years to go 1X Platinum and you're attempting to drag reputation for taking 5 years to move double the units?

It took Midnights 8 months to go 2X Platinum. It took Lover 4 years. It took reputation 5 years. It took 1989 6 months

We are approaching ANTI's eighth anniversary and it is still not 2X Platinum :rip: 

Anti had a botched released with no physical CDs in its first week and wasn't available on Spotify until week #2. The UK also has a dumb rule where they exclude the streams of an album's top 3 most streamed songs in their certs. It still managed to cross 500K units despite all this.

Work - 3x Platinum

Needed Me - 2x Platinum

Love On The Brain - 1x Platinum

Kiss It Better - 1x Platinum

Desperado - Gold

Sex With Me - Silver

Consideration - Silver

That's a smash era no matter how you try to paint it. Although I'm not sure how relevant this is in this specific thread.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, istan4badgalriri said:

Anti had a botched released with no physical CDs in its first week and wasn't available on Spotify until week #2. The UK also has a dumb rule where they exclude the streams of an album's top 3 most streamed songs in their certs. It still managed to cross 500K units despite all this.

No one was buying the physical of that album regardless ma'am :rip: I am aware of those dumbass UK rules and I agree that they make 0 sense, but other artists and albums have no problem overcoming them. ANTI, however, did not

1 minute ago, istan4badgalriri said:

That's a smash era no matter how you try to paint it. Although I'm not sure how relevant this is in this specific thread.

Cute little single certs. A shame the album can't get past 1X Platinum in 8 years 

Y'all can not be serious, every vote should've been for Rihanna. There are great songs, there are hit songs, and then there are universally known songs.

Play Unfaithful, everyone knows the words

Play Rehab, Everyone Knows the Words

Play Umbrella

Play Pon de Replay

Play If it's Lovin that You Want

Play Disturbia

Play Rude Boy

Play Only Girl

What's My Name

Live Your Life

Run This Town

We Found Love

Love The Way You Lie

Take A BOW

SOS

DIAMONDS

S&M

California King Bed

BIRTHDAY CAKE REMIX WASN'T EVEN A REAL SINGLE AND IS A CLASSIC

Pour It Up

Stay

What Now

Lovveeeeeeee Song

Work

Needed ME

Love On the Brain

BBHMM

Don't Stop the Music

Take Care

Wild Thoughts

This Is What You Came For

All of the Lights

Rihanna's Got more classics than any living person. And there's plenty of other hits but these songs are Universally known all over the globe.

Like you can include so many more songs to list depending on the region but there is no artist alive that can compete.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I love Taylor, but it's Rihanna easily.

Her older hits were inescapable, and are still being played in radio today.

It’s a toss up between Rih and Tay for the CLASSICS ONLY

Rihanna:

1. Umbrella

2. Love The Way You Lie

3. We Found Love

4. Diamonds

5. Work

Taylor

1. Love Story

2. You Belong With Me

3. Shake It Off

4. Blank Space

5. Anti-Hero

Katy

1. Firework

2. Roar

3. Dark Horse

right now I’ll give it to Taylor since Cruel Summer is shaping up as another classic.

And no, Disturbia, What’s My Name, California Gurls, IKYWT, WANEGBT, etc aren’t classics - these are just quick hit singles

Edited by KarmaCat
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 hours ago, KarmaCat said:

It’s a toss up between Rih and Tay for the CLASSICS ONLY

Rihanna:

1. Umbrella

2. Love The Way You Lie

3. We Found Love

4. Diamonds

5. Work

Taylor

1. Love Story

2. You Belong With Me

3. Shake It Off

4. Blank Space

5. Anti-Hero

Katy

1. Firework

2. Roar

3. Dark Horse

right now I’ll give it to Taylor since Cruel Summer is shaping up as another classic.

And no, Disturbia, What’s My Name, California Gurls, IKYWT, WANEGBT, etc aren’t classics - these are just quick hit singles

I kissed a girl tho

edit: hot n cold tho

Edited by BlossomSoul

Katy Perry is done wrong here though. Even her has at least 1 universally known song compared to miss Swift who despite the dozen and dozen of her fans crying here still doesnt have one outside of Alabama :cm:

Edited by Mystic Boy

Genuinely Katy

1. I Kissed a Girl

2. Hot n Cold

3. Cali Gurls

4. Teenage Dream

5. LFN

6. DH

rih

1. PDR

2. Umbrella

3. S&M (ishhhg)

4. Diamonds (ish)

5. RTT (ish)

Taylor

1. LS

2. YBWM

3. IKYWT

4. SIO

5. BS

• Like 1

On 10/28/2023 at 8:32 AM, KarmaCat said:

Is that why Disturbia re-enters the charts every Halloween? Also, all these songs are classics or close to that status regardless.

Katy has the beloved GP anthems. Everybody knows Firework and Roar, they’re multigenerational. 
Rihanna’s hits were also widely popular and the GP was onboard for most of them. Umbrella was and still is ubiquitous. 

Taylor has some big hits but most of them are within her fanbase, their appeal begins and ends with her huge fandom and pop music listeners, they dont quite seem universal.

so In the “classics” category, I would put:

1. Katy 

2. Rihanna 

3. Taylor

Edited by Witnessed ET

On 10/28/2023 at 1:32 PM, KarmaCat said:

You are so wrong. How can Anti-Hero and Cruel Summer be considered classics while Disturbia and What's My Name are not?
Disturbia consistently charts well every Halloween, and everyone can instantly recognize the gimmick of What's My Name!

Anyway, Rihanna rightfully wins the poll. The thread can be closed now. :foxaylove3:

Edited by Needed Me

On 10/27/2023 at 10:46 PM, IsidoraMarí said:

Y'all can not be serious, every vote should've been for Rihanna. There are great songs, there are hit songs, and then there are universally known songs.

Play Unfaithful, everyone knows the words

Play Rehab, Everyone Knows the Words

Play Umbrella

Play Pon de Replay

Play If it's Lovin that You Want

Play Disturbia

Play Rude Boy

Play Only Girl

What's My Name

Live Your Life

Run This Town

We Found Love

Love The Way You Lie

Take A BOW

SOS

DIAMONDS

S&M

California King Bed

BIRTHDAY CAKE REMIX WASN'T EVEN A REAL SINGLE AND IS A CLASSIC

Pour It Up

Stay

What Now

Lovveeeeeeee Song

Work

Needed ME

Love On the Brain

BBHMM

Don't Stop the Music

Take Care

Wild Thoughts

This Is What You Came For

All of the Lights

Rihanna's Got more classics than any living person. And there's plenty of other hits but these songs are Universally known all over the globe.

Like you can include so many more songs to list depending on the region but there is no artist alive that can compete.

girl not every moderate hit is a classic, Birthday Cake or California King Bed are most certainly NOT lmfao 

Imo it depends on where you set the bar for "classic". I would actually say that it's Katy. Her #1 hits are actually all classics (minus E.T., which has not held up as well). Rihanna obviously has more hits, but imo not as many are classics. Umbrella, Don't Stop The Music, We Found Love, Diamonds, Only Girl and maybe Work are her true classics. Taylor has Love Story, You Belong with me, WANEGBT, Trouble, Shake It Off and Blank Space. More time needs to pass to determine whether her recent hits really become classics. 

5 hours ago, fab said:

girl not every moderate hit is a classic, Birthday Cake or California King Bed are most certainly NOT lmfao 

Birthday Cake still gets played at the clubs, California King Bed is arguable but even then I listed like 30 songs and you found two moderate hits, a moderate hit for Rihanna is still in the classic range, her music is universally beloved by all generations

• Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.