Devin

Artists  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Most Classics?

• Rihanna
    • Taylor Swift
    • Katy Perry

Just now, Axelios said:

So Rihanna catalogue is compeletely worthless on streaming ?

Girl what? She just scored her 12th billion song and extended a record despite having only one album in the streaming era :deadbanana2:

• Like 1

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raspberries

• airplane

• lonnie

• Axelios

Just now, Axelios said:

So worthless that she was the first female artist to cross the 2B mark on AM back in 2018 and was the most streamed female artist with Taylor coming in second place, yeah

Rihanna is now the first female artist to cross 2 billion streams worldwide on Apple Music. The streaming service announced the news on International Women's Day Thursday, in tandem with it's list of the 20 most streamed women in music.

Rihanna ranked at the top spot, while Taylor Swift follows behind at no. 2, Beyoncé in third place, Ariana Granda reaching no. 4, and Adele rounding out the top slot at no. 5.

https://www.okayplayer.com/music/rihanna-is-first-female-artist-surpass-2-billion-streams-apple-music.html

stephm.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Axelios said:

One album in the streaming era vs 3… whats not clicking? Taylor’s catalogue was also worthless since she was averaging only 6M daily streams in 2018/19 including from Lover and reputation. It wasn’t until the re-recording situation that people started paying attention to her discography pre-1989 on streaming.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, airplane said:

One album in the streaming era vs 3… whats not clicking? Taylor’s catalogue was also worthless since she was averaging only 6M daily streams in 2018/19 including from Lover and reputation. It wasn’t until the re-recording situation that people started paying attention to her discography pre-1989 on streaming.

1989 wasn't even on Spotify until 2017. It was nearly 3 years old by that time :dies: 

From 2015-2019 Taylor had the following new releases on Spotify:

I Don't Wanna Live Forever (with Zayn)

reputation album (which was held off of streaming for the first few weeks)

Lover album

From 2015-2019 Rihanna had the following new releases on Spotify:

FourFiveSeconds (with Kanye West & Paul McCartney)

Towards the Sun

***** Better Have My Money

American Oxygen

ANTI album

Nothing Is Promised

Sledgehammer

Lemon (with N.E.R.D)

This Is What You Came For (with Calvin Harris)

Too Good (with Drake)

Selfish (with Future)

Wild Thoughts (with DJ Khaled & Bryson Tiller)

Loyalty (with Kendrick Lamar)

:toofunny3: 

Edited by Raspberries

2 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

1989 wasn't even on Spotify until 2017. It was nearly 3 years old by that time :dies: 

We were talking about Apple Music :deadbanana4:

And if we're going by releases why aren't you listing all of Taylor's singles the way you are Rih? Where's Christmas Farm Tree? And Babe? Or the fact that Taylor had far more singles from her two eras than Anti? Purposely trying to make it as though Rihanna released more material than Taylor during that period when that's not the case :deadbanana4:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Umbrella, DSTM, Take a Bow, Disturbia, Rude Boy, OGITW, WMN, S&M, WFL, WHYB?, Diamonds, The Monster, LTWYL Work, Wild Thoughts - 15

vs.

IKAG, H&C, CG, TD, E.T., Firework, TGIF, WA, PoM, Roar, Dark Horse - 11

vs 

LS, YBWM, WANEGBT, IKYWT, SIO, BS, Style, WD, BB, IDWLF, CS, AH - 12

All global hits, its Rihanna for sure. 

24 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

From 2015-2019 Taylor had the following new releases on Spotify:

I Don't Wanna Live Forever (with Zayn)

reputation album (which was held off of streaming for the first few weeks)

Lover album

From 2015-2019 Rihanna had the following new releases on Spotify:

FourFiveSeconds (with Kanye West & Paul McCartney)

Towards the Sun

***** Better Have My Money

American Oxygen

ANTI album

Nothing Is Promised

Sledgehammer

Lemon (with N.E.R.D)

This Is What You Came For (with Calvin Harris)

Too Good (with Drake)

Selfish (with Future)

Wild Thoughts (with DJ Khaled & Bryson Tiller)

Loyalty (with Kendrick Lamar)

:toofunny3: 

ANTI+ All these features= 28 songs

Lover+ reputation= 33 songs + with her other singles released during the same time, she’s close to 40 songs along with more singles put out from her albums (compared to Rihanna).

Funny how you excluded that to justify taylor’s tragic recurrent streams from 2019 on Spotify. Meanwhile, she still had the edge with apple music where she had 3 albums put out during the streaming era.

Edited by airplane
  • Like 2

It’s Rihanna because of her breadth. Her hits spawned many genres. Where Katy is limited to pop. And Taylor’s biggest hits are singer songwriter type. 

rihanna has “urban,” pop, dance, and R&b

1 hour ago, airplane said:

ANTI+ All these features= 28 songs

Lover+ reputation= 33 songs + with her other singles released during the same time, she’s close to 40 songs along with more singles put out from her albums (compared to Rihanna).

Funny how you excluded that to justify taylor’s tragic recurrent streams from 2019 on Spotify. Meanwhile, she still had the edge with apple music where she had 3 albums put out during the streaming era.

You thinking Taylor's 25 album tracks are the equivalent of Rihanna's collaborations with Calvin Harris, Kendrick Lamar, DJ Khaled/Bryson Tiller, Kanye, etc just goes to show the gap between these two girls :deadbanana: 

You thinking Taylor's 25 album tracks are the equivalent of Rihanna's collaborations with Calvin Harris, Kendrick Lamar, DJ Khaled/Bryson Tiller, Kanye, etc just goes to show the gap between these two girls :deadbanana: 

it's not my fault that taylor's collaborations from that period have mostly bombed (ME!, End game). The point is that she had more songs+singles out and 3 albums in the streaming era on apple music between 2017-2020.

1 minute ago, airplane said:

it's not my fault that taylor's collaborations from that period have mostly bombed (ME!, End game). The point is that she had more songs+singles out and 3 albums in the streaming era on apple music between 2017-2020.

Taylor usually doesn't do huge high-profile collabs unlike the other girl who has made a career off of spamming collabs with Eminem, Jay Z, Kendrick, Drake, etc. on a yearly basis back before she retired to sell thongs :dies: 

I guess that's why 9 of Taylor's 10 #1s are solo while a total of 5 of Rihanna's 14 are solo :deadbanana: 

38 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Taylor usually doesn't do huge high-profile collabs unlike the other girl who has made a career off of spamming collabs with Eminem, Jay Z, Kendrick, Drake, etc. on a yearly basis back before she retired to sell thongs :dies: 

I guess that's why 9 of Taylor's 10 #1s are solo while a total of 5 of Rihanna's 14 are solo :deadbanana: 

Taylor had to run to max martin to score hits that made noise outside of redneck America. Let’s not

Edited by airplane
  • Haha 1

Just now, airplane said:

Taylor had to run to max martin to score hits that made noise outside of the US. Let’s not

Yes, Love Story, a song that sold 12M+ pure worldwide, my favorite Max Martin production

16 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Yes, Love Story, a song that sold 12M+ pure worldwide, my favorite Max Martin production

Is the 12M+ worldwide in the room with us because the certifications tell an entirely different story? So it took her 6 years to actually score a well known hit after that and she had to run to max martin to get it. I mean that’s understandable… she only scored decent sized well known hits in 2023, after 2014. She’s not a consistent hitmaker.

Edited by airplane

4 minutes ago, airplane said:

Is the 12M+ worldwide in the room with us because the certifications tell an entirely different story? So it took her 6 years to actually score a well known hit after that and she had to run to max martin to get it. I mean that’s understandable… she only scored decent sized well known hits in 2023, after 2014. She’s not a consistent hitmaker.

Take it up with Chartmasters babe. It's at 12.3M :sorry:  Yes, this is on par with songs like We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris) and Umbrella (feat. Jay Z)

Love Story (2008) remains her best seller worldwide

Not sure why you're talking about "running" to Max Martin as if Rihanna('s label and A&R team) didn't run to Dr. Luke :deadbanana: 

Edited by Raspberries

Take it up with Chartmasters babe. It's at 12.3M :sorry:  Yes, this is on par with songs like We Found Love (feat. Calvin Harris) and Umbrella (feat. Jay Z)

Love Story (2008) remains her best seller worldwide

Not sure why you're talking about "running" to Max Martin as if Rihanna('s label and A&R team) didn't run to Dr. Luke :deadbanana: 

When did Rihanna run to Dr. Luke? :deadbanana4:

Is this because he co-produced on a song that Calvin was main producer on? Like swifties have truly lost IT :deadbanana4:

All these mental gymnastics because of the landslide poll result :rip:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lonnie said:

When did Rihanna run to Dr. Luke? :deadbanana4:

Is this because he co-produced on a song that Calvin was main producer on? Like swifties have truly lost IT :deadbanana4:

All these mental gymnastics because of the landslide poll result :rip:

Luke produced 2 of the 3 pop singles from Talk That Talk :deadbanana: 

12 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Luke produced 2 of the 3 pop singles from Talk That Talk :deadbanana: 

2 credits, not one my bad. Compared to Max Martin's 21+ credits over multiple albums :deadbanana4:

So unserious :deadbanana4:

8 minutes ago, lonnie said:

2 credits, not one my bad. Compared to Max Martin's 21+ credits over multiple albums :deadbanana4:

So unserious :deadbanana4:

I'm sure Rihanna herself didn't run to Luke. She didn't have the freedom to do that. I'm sure her team saw his streak and said "let's give it a go!" along with her usual 20 demos Stargate were passing along to various labels 

Edited by Raspberries
  • Thumbs Down 1

Hmmmmmmm off the top of my head I'd say Rihanna > Taylor > Katy at least in America. Looking at all their singles I'd probably agree with that based on what I'd say are undeniable or probable eventual classics.

Spoiler

Katy

1. I Kissed a Girl

2. Hot n Cold

3. California Gurls

4. Teenage Dream

5. Firework

6. Last Friday Night

7. Roar

8. Dark Horse

?. I could see the argument for including ET... mayyyyyyybe Vegas?

Rihanna

1. SOS

2. Umbrella

3. Don't Stop the Music

4. Take a Bow

5. Disturbia

6. Rude Boy

7. Only Girl in the World

8. What's My Name

9. S&M

10. We Found Love

11. Diamonds

12. Work

?. I could see the argument for including lots of her other singles tbh... FourFiveSeconds, BBHMM, Needed Me, Stay, Unfaithful, Shut Up and Drive, etc. Tried to be conservative in my choices.

Taylor

1. Love Story

2. You Belong With Me

3. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

4. I Knew You Were Trouble

5. 22

6. Shake it Off

7. Blank Space

8. Style

9. Anti-Hero

10. Cruel Summer

?. I could see the argument for including Wildest Dreams, Bad Blood, maybe LWYMMD, maybe even Mine or Our Story? Tried to be conservative in these choices too.

4 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

I'm sure Rihanna herself didn't run to Luke. She didn't have the freedom to do that. I'm sure her team saw his streak and said "let's give it a go!" along with her usual 20 demos Stargate were passing along to various labels 

Idk why you make it seem like Rihanna was dumb label puppet when it was actually your fave who was crying on the internet because she couldn’t read her contract terms properly and ending up having her masters passed around.

• Haha 3

Just now, airplane said:

Idk why you make it seem like Rihanna was dumb label puppet when it was actually your fave who was crying on the internet because she couldn’t read her contract terms properly and ending up having her masters passed around.

Yes, the girl who has written 50+ solo songs on her albums, has co-written every song she's ever recorded, completely abandoned her original genre and put out 2 folk/alternative albums is the label puppet. Not the girl whose entire catalog is available on YouTube in a version sung by the demo singer/others who actually created the song and all but left the music industry the first chance she got

:dies: 

3 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

Yes, the girl who has written 50+ solo songs on her albums, has co-written every song she's ever recorded, completely abandoned her original genre and put out 2 folk/alternative albums is the label puppet. Not the girl whose entire catalog is available on YouTube in a version sung by the demo singer/others who actually created the song and all but left the music industry the first chance she got

:dies: 

Cool, that doesn’t counter what i said. Also, i find it ironic when swifties credit Rihanna’s male collaborators for her success but cry misogyny when the tables turn. Why is that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, airplane said:

Cool, that doesn’t counter what i said. Also, i find it ironic when swifties credit Rihanna’s male collaborators for her success but cry misogyny when the tables turn. Why is that?

Yes it does. You clearly do not know the definition of a label puppet. No one who has had the kind of career creative-wise that Taylor has is a label puppet. Rihanna was told what and how to sing songs that were written by teams of people. She was sent on extensive promotional ventures, huge (mostly empty) tours that she has talked about not liking, etc. There have been dozens and dozens of pop stars like this and many have talked about how awful it was. Rihanna was just smart and got out when she could

No one said those male collaborators are the sole reason those songs were big. Rihanna is/was a big name and had weight behind those collaborations. But she and her label 1000% knew those collaborations would drive up her single sales. The only exception is Jay Z because we all know he discovered her and I'm sure every time he asked, she obliged. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.