Better Achievement: Teenage Dream’s 5 #1’s vs Midnights occupying the entire top 10?

Rush

Better Achievement?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Better Achievement?

• 5 number 1’s from one album
    • Occupying the entire top 10

13 minutes ago, Axelios said:

But Taylor was debuting album tracks in the H100 as far back as Fearless and Speak Now when noone else was doing it as far as I know.

This doesn't negate what I said though.

I'll repeat:

"Taylor is undoubtedly the most successful at maximizing what this new era can do for non-singles, but the possibility of charting non-singles that were not otherwise treated as singles (ie. sent to radio, had music videos, etc.) only really began once the digital era was in full swing, and fans could buy album tracks individually."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• By the Water

• swissman

• John Slayne

• Aaron

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, By the Water said:

The digital era and the streaming era are two different things.

I don't believe I said otherwise.

And like you said, it was already possible to send non-singles to the top 10 in the digital era except most artists couldn't do it but Taylor did.

But though impressive in itself, that is not the achievement this thread is discussing. I stated very clearly that Taylor is "undoubtedly the most successful at maximizing what the streaming era can do for non-singles" and that could be extended to the digital era as well.

But thank you for once again explaining that with the way music consumption worked back in the day no one would have occupied the entire top 10 even if Billboard allowed non-singles to chart

Yes, so saying stuff like "only one person has done it" doesn't say much in regards to the entire history of pop music because 1) it wasn't even allowed before 1998 and 2) if it were, people had no way to consume album tracks in ways that would have them count towards the Hot 100. What we could say is "only one person has done it since the digital era began" or more accurately, "only one person has done it since the streaming era began", since no one did it during the digital era.

Edited by swissman

I’m a Swiftie but even I know that

5 number 1s in one album is harder to achieve. The only way Taylor can achieve this in the streaming era is if she releases 5 singles before the album and they all go number 1

I think having 10 songs charting in the top 10 is more impressive. It means people are consuming the album in excessive amounts. I imagine that would make an artist way more happy that their music they are spending so much time creating is resonating with the people.

Edited by Gladiator

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.