Better Achievement: Teenage Dream’s 5 #1’s vs Midnights occupying the entire top 10?

Rush

Better Achievement?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Better Achievement?

• 5 number 1’s from one album
    • Occupying the entire top 10

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• By the Water

• swissman

• John Slayne

• Aaron

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Two person have done the 5 #1s but only one so far did occupy the entire Top 10 

Katy's 5 #1s. It's very difficult to achieve that back then when streaming (especially YouTube) wasn't part of the metric.

The lengths Katy tried to push TOTGA to #1 with a remix with B.o.B, 99 cents and 69 cents discount and Acoustic version, she was determined to break that record but fell short. But at least she tied it for the record books.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Konril said:

Katy's 5 #1s. It's very difficult to achieve that back then when streaming (especially YouTube) wasn't part of the metric.

The lengths Katy tried to push TOTGA to #1 with a remix with B.o.B, 99 cents and 69 cents discount and Acoustic version, she was determined to break that record but fell short. But at least she tied it for the record books.

TOTGA is outstreaming most other TD singles so it won either way. :clap3:

The news of Midnights occupying the entire top 10 was everywhere..can't stay the same for the other

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 numbdr ones. Only 2 people did that and nowdays you constantly hearing about albums occupying the top 20 or something. 

Taylor is still the thanos of music tho

• Like 1

Perhaps we should all be making a difference in the world instead of fighting over achievements that are not our own? Hmm? No? Well I tried

8 minutes ago, Konril said:

If anything it is way, way more difficult (almost impossible) to achieve this with streaming. Back then, album tracks were mostly unknown until released as a single, when they rose on radio and digital sales at the same time. Nowadays hit songs are played and discovered as soon as an album is out. Traitor by Olivia has over a billion streams and barely even cracked the Top 20 after the album release week. Correlation between radio play and streaming success is extremely low, so it is almost impossible to align the points correctly for a high peak. 

Occupying the Top 10 is more impressive because it shows unprecedented demand for an entire album. 5 #1's is also dependent on luck - if Katy had released Wide Awake in the middle of her #1 run instead of any of the other singles, she would've lost the record, even though it wouldn't have affected the success of the singles at all. On the other hand, getting 5 #1s from an album would be absolutely impossible with streaming, so it doesn't really make sense to compare the achievements of an album from 2010 to an album from 2022. 

Edited by Dephira
  • Thanks 1

5 #1s. 

Even Taylor being, of course, way bigger. What Taylor done just proved how much of an album artist she is. 

But that can be proved with countless metrics, her album streams, her catalog hype and even her tour stats. The entire top 10 was just one more thing. 

entire top 10 proves that no one has the loyal audience that taylor has. but that has been proven a lot of times already. 

5 #1s was a moment cuz it was 5 GP smash hits. it is more impressive. 

• Like 1

It's just as impossible to get five #1s from an album now as it was to get ten top 10s at the same time in the 2010s. 

I'm not sure how you could compare these two achievements. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, enchanted0 said:

The news of Midnights occupying the entire top 10 was everywhere..can't stay the same for the other

This isn’t recency bias at all!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cloröx said:

Two person have done the 5 #1s but only one so far did occupy the entire Top 10 

True, but the possibility of having 5 #1s on the Hot 100 has existed ever since the Hot 100 debuted in 1958, and the possibility of occupying the Top Ten with songs from a single album has only existed since 1998 when they allowed songs to chart, not singles, and has really only become possible within the streaming era where we see album cuts debut on the Hot 100 routinely.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the Katy one, but Taylor one is also very big thing but I somehow feel the entire top 10 will be broken sooner or later while I think Katy one was very rare feat both are quite huge tho. 

13 minutes ago, By the Water said:

The one that has been done only once

Older albums didn’t even have a chance at that because the rules prevented non-official singles from charting. Streaming made it easier as well. It would have been done many times before. 

Katy’s 

• Like 1

5 #1s.

It was borderline impossible to do it then and even more improbable now without releasing all the singles before the album release. There’s a huge trend now, if a big artist releases, most of their album tracks debut on Billboard because of streaming, which to be honest is fair because it’s a fair representation of the most consumed of that week. Drake almost occupied the entire top 10 with his “underperforming” era. That’s not to say not occupying the entire top 10 isn’t big, because it is and it’s only been done once but I could see it happening again in the future, sooner rather than later. Getting multiple #1s across a lengthy time period is definitely harder and therefore more impressive rather than all tracks debuting all in the same week. 

I doubt the 5 #1s will ever be broken now because it’s much harder with streaming and albums rarely have successful second and third singles after the albums out. 

Edited by teenager
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, enchanted0 said:

Gurl it was all over the news, the VMAs even gave her an own special award for it, stop making uneducated comments. :rip:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Older albums didn’t even have a chance at that because the rules prevented non-official singles from charting. 

They wouldn't chart either way because only singles got a release back then.

It's hard to compare both achievements because they're from 2 different eras but if you ask me, I think Katy's a bit more impressive.

5 #1's, she was inescapable. 

I've yet to hear any of these songs out and about outside of Karma and Anti Hero.

1 minute ago, Axelios said:

They wouldn't chart either way because only singles got a release back then.

…that’s exactly what I just said…

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.