Martin Scorsese drags Marvel and dudebros (again) "we have to...fight back stronger"

stochastic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stochastic

• mystery

• Taylena

• vale9001

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the unwashed friedbrains rush into the thread to say "old man yells at cloud" or whatever, but daddy told no lies as per usual :coffee:

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

He is right but this being the takeway from a brilliant interview with GQ is so pathetic. He said so so much more that is way more interesting and yet every other site ran away with the Marvel thing again.

You can read the entire thing HERE.

9 minutes ago, stochastic said:

He supports Nolan who directed the Batman trilogy lololol)

As if Marvel movies are anywhere near what Nolan achieved with The Dark Knight. That Scott Derrickson tweet is hilarious considering the first Doctor Strange had entire sections of the movie that were basically an Inception ripoff.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 5

The GP clearly moved on from the cookie cutter Marvel movies and is at least expecting something great to be pulled into the cinema.

See Miles Morales' Spiderman. Martin and his same old Mafia movies could never. He didn't lie though.

• Like 1

Very true, but what can we do? It's unfortunately where the money is and studios are all about chasing money. They did this to themselves. 

At least superhero films aren't as strong as they used to be.

it’s just hilarious because he’s so untouchable and no one can come for his filmography so there are no rebuttals

5 minutes ago, mystery said:

He is right but this being the takeway from a brilliant interview with GQ is so pathetic. He said so so much more that is way more interesting and yet every other site ran away with the Marvel thing again.

You can read the entire thing HERE.

As if Marvel movies are anywhere near what Nolan achieved with The Dark Knight. That Scott Derrickson tweet is hilarious considering the first Doctor Strange had entire sections of the movie that were basically an Inception ripoff.

So true :clap3:

I get his name mixed up with the Lady Bird actress 

He keeps pandering to the people who's entire personalities is hating on popular things cause nobody wants to see his corny-*** movies anymore. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

I do not understand this take, the Superhero movies are not the problem, the problem is the lack of creativity and it's on the studios to fix this, we can literally have both, I am all for watching the newest Marvel movie (though most of them not counting Miles have been awful lately - props to GOTG3 that was great) and a Nolan movie in the cinema as well. 

The problem is, before Barbie / Oppenheimer when was the last time an original movie felt like a cultural event?  The only thing that comes to mind is Everything Everywhere All at Once, but that was still a niche movie kinda 

• Like 1

He was always bitter but the fact he’s still dragging MCU after their recent outputs have been tanking left and right shows he is extremely bitter.

MCU is tanking and still no one wants to see your movies bro. You’re the problem. 

Edited by Machete
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Everybody in here saying "omg true king" but won't pay for a cinema ticket to see an original movie or for their own Netflix account :rip: 

STREAMING is killing the cinema industry if anything comic book movies are keeping it alive :deadbanana4:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Machete said:

He was always bitter but the fact he’s still dragging MCU after their recent outputs have been tanking left and right shows he is extremely bitter.

MCU is tanking and still no one wants to see your movies bro. You’re the problem. 

Thank you!  Even when we just had Barbie / Oppenheimer being massive box office smashes this dude is still obsessed with Marvel. 

3 minutes ago, Machete said:

He has one of the most highly anticipated films this fall bffr

• Confused 2

Let me force him to watch all 3 of Guardian of the Galaxy films. I'm sure he would get it eventually :clap3:

9 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Everybody in here saying "omg true king" but won't pay for a cinema ticket to see an original movie or for their own Netflix account :rip: 

STREAMING is killing the cinema industry if anything comic book movies are keeping it alive :deadbanana4:

Silence and Hugo flopping made it so only streaming is willing to support his demand for unlimited budgets 

12 minutes ago, Taylena said:

Thank you!  Even when we just had Barbie / Oppenheimer being massive box office smashes this dude is still obsessed with Marvel. 

"obsessed" it was literally brought up in the interview and he didn't even mention Marvel directly just "franchise filmmaking" which was something that was covered earlier in the interview when he mentioned that the studio wanted to make The Departed into a franchise.

Here is the full section where this is covered:

Here I suggested to Scorsese that the cinemas could only show the films that Hollywood actually made, and therein might lie the problem – that if Hollywood makes nothing but comic book and franchise movies, and certain segments of the audience don’t want to see those films, then nothing is going to get them to a cinema. I feel bad about having done this, since Scorsese’s sceptical comments about Marvel and comic book films in the past have attracted a lot of vitriol, and here I am, inviting more vitriol for Martin Scorsese. Please complain to me and not him.

But he does see trouble in the glut of franchise and comic book entertainment that currently makes up much of what you can see in a cinema. “The danger there is what it’s doing to our culture,” said Scorsese. “Because there are going to be generations now that think movies are only those – that’s what movies are.”

I think people already think that.

“They already think that. Which means that we have to then fight back stronger. And it’s got to come from the grassroots level. It’s gotta come from the filmmakers themselves. And you’ll have, you know, the Safdie brothers, and you’ll have Chris Nolan, you know what I mean? And hit ’em from all sides. Hit ’em from all sides, and don’t give up. Let’s see what you got. Go out there and do it. Go reinvent. Don’t complain about it. But it’s true, because we’ve got to save cinema.” Cinema could be anything, Scorsese said; it didn’t just have to be serious. Some Like It Hot – that was cinema, for instance. But, “I do think that the manufactured content isn’t really cinema.”

Again, you don’t need to say this.

“No, I don’t want to say it. But what I mean is that, it’s manufactured content. It’s almost like AI making a film. And that doesn’t mean that you don’t have incredible directors and special effects people doing beautiful artwork. But what does it mean? What do these films – what will it give you? Aside from a kind of consummation of something and then eliminating it from your mind, your whole body, you know? So what is it giving you?”

He is not a Luddite or a technophobe. He is as excited about Avatar: The Way of Water, about 3D and IMAX and formal and technological experimentation as anyone else. “I’m looking forward to new ways,” he said. “It’s just, I got as far as this. And that’s what I do. That’s it. And if I could just muster up the energy, God willing, to make a couple more, one more maybe, and that’s it, OK? That’s as far as I got. You keep going until you can’t. But what I mean is that you gotta rip it out of your skull and your guts. To find out what the hell you really – what do you really feel should be said at this point in life by you? You gotta say something with a movie. Otherwise, what’s the point of making it? You’ve got to be saying something.”|

But I guess reading the actual article is too much for some people and they adore to run away with an outrage headline.

Edited by mystery
  • Thanks 2

OLD Hollywood is so mad that the old system doesn’t work anymore… mind u the system that ensured that only straight cis men worked consistently and a v few women and literally no POC or representation for the LGBTQIA+ community.

They’re mad that the new system can’t be controlled by old men in their high rise office working for some studio in Burbank. Marvel, influencers, etc aren’t perfect but I love watching how mad it makes them that Hollywood and Entertainment is a completely diff world today than what it was back when four wealthy cis billionaire men got to decide who was important enough who they deemed to be a “star”. No one needs them anymore, hell Gen Z doesn’t even go to the movies anymore they’re on TikTok and YouTube these days. Things change, that’s part of life

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.