Will Taylor Swift outsell Britney Spears in pure sales?

Aethereal

Will Taylor Swift outsell Britney spears in TEA album (units)?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Will she?

I am using the official formula of Billboard, 10 song sales = 1 album unit.

Taylor Swift 

56.5M studio album sales

10.2M album sales from other LPs

320K physical singles sales - 110k albums

162M singles sales - 16.2M albums 

Total +83M albums TEA. 

-------

Britney  Spears 

68.5M studio album sales

11.5M album from LPs

18.6M physical singles sales -  6.2M album sales

83M single sales - 8.3M album sales

Total 92M albums TEA.

The difference is 9M.

The 1989 rerecording will pull +2M pure sales WW,  so the gap by the next year will close around 6-7M.

Will Taylor achieve this?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aethereal

• Cruel Summer

• suburbannature

• EmailMySwift

Top Posters In This Topic

In before the mess.

bSh1Oy5.thumb.gif.6b741c3cd7b018ef5471ce

Edited by leyaris11

If Britney doesn’t release new music then yes. We’ll see. Britney is practically 100M a legend :jonny6:

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

Where is the source for this data? ...

4 minutes ago, Xtianlofbritney said:

If Britney doesn’t release new music then yes. We’ll see. Britney is practically 100M a legend :jonny6:

As if Britney's new release will move the needle on her overall total :skull:

--

Yes. In a very short space of time. Why is this even a question 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, byzantium said:

Wow, Taylor outselling Britney despite Britney peaking in the peak of the physical market and Taylor peaking when sales are dead. 

And then some of you will still argue that Britney’s peak was larger.  :deadbanana2:

That's not contradictory, Britney sold around 2/3 (or more) of her non streaming album units from her first 2 albums.

1 minute ago, suburbannature said:

First mistake is using ChartMasters as a source 

I've been lurking pop forums for a long time and their pure sales numbers are on par with the mainstream Classic ATRL stats, only somewhat more conservative.

Check Mariah album sales if you don't believe me. 

Their streaming units are questionable, however in general even the "legit" streaming units are still questionable for many reasons. 

No and her sales aren’t impressive. Streaming needs to be recalibrated because we don’t know how many times Becky Sue who bought X album played it on her cd player yet nowadays we have Karen Susan streaming Taylor’s album all day and they’re counting that as sales … :thing:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 11

10 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

https://chartmasters.org/best-selling-artists-of-all-time/

CM inflates the single/song tracks equivalents so I converted the digital single song sales myself. 

chart masters is not a source. they literally make up stats and everyone falls for it :rip:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Yes. The gap is less than 10M, and Taylor sells 3-4M in pure sales with every new studio album.

8 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

chart masters is not a source. they literally make up stats and everyone falls for it :rip:

Their pure sales numbers are based on actual estimations that are reported officially. Their streaming numbers are partially assumed on their algorithm, so yes I understand being skeptical on that. 

Edited by Aristotle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Feanor said:

The gap is less than 10M, and Taylor sells 3-4M in pure sales with every new studio album.

She doesn't. :rip: Midnight was exceptional. 1989 might entertain that figure though. Her next studio will probably make 2M-2.5M pure sales. 

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotle said:

She doesn't. :rip: Midnight was exceptional. 1989 might entertain that figure though. Her next studio will probably make 2M-2.5M pure sales. 

I think a lot of people will buy her discography in October. Non-fans will go see Eras movie out of curiosity. Then they'll stream but also buy. 

22 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Wow, Taylor outselling Britney despite Britney peaking in the peak of the physical market and Taylor peaking when sales are dead. 

And then some of you will still argue that Britney’s peak was larger.  :deadbanana2:

Honey boo boo child, Britney didn't have the outlets Taylor has now. Taylor can reach a much wider audience than Britney ever did yet Britney was still able to outsell her. Make it make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.