Is being hypersexual in music dated at the moment?

shyboi

Is being hypersexual in music dated at the moment?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Is being hypersexual in music dated at the moment?

• Yes, we left it in 2020.
    • No, we just need a good horny bop and it will be relevant again.

I said at the moment because I honestly think sex will always sell, it just goes through ups and downs each decade.

With Tay, Doja, and Olivia dominating while having relatively sexless themed eras...

Can we agree that hypersexuality in pop culture is less relevant at the moment?

Edited by shyboi
  • Like 6

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• Armani?

• sweetkiss

• Alex

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.

The pendulum always swings back and forth & the most successful artists right now are pretty covered up + singing about things other than sex.

Look at the Top 5 on the BBH100.

The hypersexual era is OVER (for now).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

No :rip:

You just need a sexy song performed by a sexy artist. 

Edited by Johnny Jacobs
  • Like 1

For me personally it doesn't deter me away from liking or disliking a song, I love some songs about sex, but I'm also indifferent to it. I'm not going to like a song just because it's about sex. It needs to have something else that makes me to want to replay it.  I think a lot of songs these days rely on their raunchiness and "omg look what they said here! haha" as the sole selling point, but once you get passed that, which isn't even shocking or funny anymore, it's like... okay but is this song actually good? And often times, they're either straight up not good or they are mid. I also tend to prefer when references to sex are little more subtle; sure I love some great direct explicit references to things in songs when pulled off well, but I think subtle metaphors and references to sex can also really elevate a song. I feel mentioning sex in a song has gotten so direct, blunt, and dare I say less creative. Take Prince's "Little Red Corvette" as an example of what I'm talking about, or "Afternoon Delight". Or give me a sex from a new angle like Bey's "Partition" did for her artistry as it showed a side of her we never expected and really elevated that album because despite being all about sex it felt really sophiscated and masterfully executed. IDK if this makes sense but basically IMO I wish artists would more creatively approach sex in their music. If you think about it sex is such a broad subject it really should open so many creative avenues.  

So tl;dr version - I don't think people are tired of music about sex but moreso how sex in music is being discussed and put into songs/videos currently.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

No :rip:

You just need a swxy song performed by a sexy artist. 

we need nas to make a comeback!

No, Cupcakke will revive it with C5.

Sex is forever... it just needs to be catchy and like @Devin said, we are in a sexy drought when it comes to actual artists

Edited by NEUTRON
  • Like 3

• ATRL Moderator

Not puritans arriving at ATRL

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Me and the other women at the Baptist potluck here in Savannah are very happy about this development. 

• Haha 1

Yes sex always sells but you need charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent to do it better

• Like 3

No, you just can't sell sex to bad songs

• Like 1

Sing-songwriters are at their peak right now, and most of them seldom write about sex or at least in the literal sense.  

Also, younger generations of female artists aren’t as controlled by corporate music industry men as most of the older MPGs during their first few albums, so they’re making music they actually like instead of random sex bops.

15 minutes ago, NEUTRON said:

Sex is forever... it just needs to be catchy and like @Devin said, we are in a sexy drought when it comes to actual artists

This!! I miss sexy music era

Yeah, now people just expect deep lyrics about high school lovers and ex-lovers. Generic pop music is dead and I blame Taylor Swift for that :angry:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dula Peep said:

Dua is our only hope at a sex bop smashing rn unfortunately :chick3:

I don't think Dua will ever serve a full sexed up era like WAP, S4U or Anaconda. She is sexy but keeps it very pretty, sultry 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.